The Chargers and the 2009 NFL Draft

Moderator: bwgood77

jebdrbhjb
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

The Chargers and the 2009 NFL Draft 

Post#1 » by jebdrbhjb » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:11 am

"...with the 16th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers select...."

Who do you THINK we'll pick? Who do you WANT to pick?

Personally, I don't believe we need to use the pick on a RB. We tagged Sproles today and I firmly belive LT's going to come back and have a great year. He's got a huge amount of pride (and ego) and isn't willing to be the next Shaun Alexander. That said, I think we need to use a first day pick on a RB for some depth. My pick would be Jeremiah Johnson from Oregon.

In the first round, I want to go defense front seven (unless a stud OT drops to us). I'd like to see one of the USC LB's or if he drops, Aaron Maybin (PSU).

In the later rounds, I'd love to see us pick up George Selvie from South Florida - incredible motor.

Thoughts?
Excuse me please, one more drink
Could you make it strong?
'Cause I don't need to think

......Dave Matthews
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Re: The Chargers and the 2009 NFL Draft 

Post#2 » by BlackMamba » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:15 pm

on the offensive side the chargers are strong. if LT and gates come back fully recovered from injuries they are going to be strong again, #1-#3 overall offense.

the defense is what worries me. it seems that the chargers really missed merriman, so i expect them to go after a LB with the 1st round pick.

hopefully ron rivera can get that defense back on track.
jebdrbhjb
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#3 » by jebdrbhjb » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:57 pm

BlackMamba wrote:on the offensive side the chargers are strong. if LT and gates come back fully recovered from injuries they are going to be strong again, #1-#3 overall offense.

the defense is what worries me. it seems that the chargers really missed merriman, so i expect them to go after a LB with the 1st round pick.

hopefully ron rivera can get that defense back on track.

I think it's already back on track....they played great in the last few games of the season. A stud LB in the first round combined with the return of Merriman and we could easily make the Super Bowl next year.
Excuse me please, one more drink
Could you make it strong?
'Cause I don't need to think

......Dave Matthews
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

2009 Draft Thread 

Post#4 » by BlackMamba » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:59 pm

So, the draft is just a couple of days away and I went through several mock draft sites:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/nflmockdraft.html
Rey Maualuga, LB, USC
Maualuga and Merriman could for a devastating linebacking duo. The two are as fearless and aggressive as any players in the league, and the tone they would set for the entire defense would be amazing. Maualuga would fit well inside right away and be a froce against the run. He would love to move just down the freeway two hours to make his home in San Diego.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
BRIAN CUSHING, ILB, USC
Lately it’s been difficult to predict what the Chargers will do in round one because they really don’t have many glaring holes. In fact, you can make the case that top to bottom no team in the league is as well stocked as San Diego. With that said no team is perfect and there are definitely some areas where the Chargers could stand to improve. Inside linebacker is a perfect example because even though they have some solid players and just signed Kevin Burnett they lack a true impact performer. Brian Cushing | Southern Cal Trojans Brian Cushing will most likely come off the board somewhere in the middle of round one and while he played outside linebacker in college he'd most likely project inside in a 3-4 scheme. After losing Igor Olshansky as a free agent San Diego could be in the market for a defensive end and Tyson Jackson would make a lot of sense if he was somehow still available. Keep an eye on running back too because LaDainian Tomlinson probably won't be around much longer and they could look to team either Knowshon Moreno or Chris “Beanie” Wells with the 5-6, 181 pound Darren Sproles.

http://newnfldraft.com/archives/573
Robert Ayers, DE, TENN
The Chargers get a very good DE here who can help them immediately in the 2009 NFL Season. I also think they could go after Rey M if he falls to them here in the 2009 NFL Draft.

i personally like maualuga of this three options, he would give some extra passion to the chargers D.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by BlackMamba » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Chargers 2009 Class
1 16 (16) Larry English DE Northern Illinois
3 14 (78) Louis Vasquez OL Texas Tech
4 13 (113) Vaughn Martin DT Western Ontario
4 33 (133) Tyronne Green NT Auburn (Compensatory selection)
4 34 (134) Gartrell Johnson RB Colorado St. (Compensatory selection)
5 12 (148) Brandon Hughes CB Oregon St.
6 16 (189) Kevin Ellison S USC
7 15 (224) Demetrius Byrd WR LSU
SteveScheffler
Junior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by SteveScheffler » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:43 pm

anthony felder will be a star for you guys. lucky bastards.

Return to Los Angeles Chargers