ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NFL Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#5761 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:29 am

So far, Kittle has done a lot more than Goedert has.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#5762 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:32 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

That was a weird play. Almost like he lost the ball or something. Tough to say from the angle, but I really thought he had a good shot at catching it, and he didn't even try.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#5763 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:43 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Another site has it at 72.63% (I wanted to check myself).

The 10 most expensive players (w/PFF positional ranking this year so far)

1. Matt Ryan (11th)
2. Julio Jones (11th)
3. Jake Matthews (35th)
4. Grady Jarrett (4th)
5. Desmond Trufant (70th)
6. Alex Mack (21st)
7. Deion Jones (6th)
8. Devonta Freeman (48th)
9. Mohamed Sanu (60th)
10. Ricardo Allen (71st)

--------------------

By comparison:

The 49ers have 57.93% of their 2020 cap invested in their 10 most expensive players.
The 49ers have 79.77% of their 2020 cap invested in their 20 most expensive players.
The 49ers have 84.88% of their 2020 cap invested in their 30 most expensive players.

About $23M cap space with everyone who is scheduled.

-----------------------

The Vikings are the only other team projected to be over without doing anything.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#5764 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:55 am

Wow what happened to Truffant? Seemed like he had a promising career.

Guess some of those players will be cut and become FAs next offseason.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5765 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:58 am

Want to have some fun?

It'll require having SOME knowledge of which guys have blocking value and are really asked to do it but go look at the highest to lowest paid TE list. So many teams not getting their money's worth when you factor in how few are producing as receivers AND how ineffective they've been as blockers to varying degrees.

Working on his rookie deal obviously, Kittle is the 90th highest paid TE this year - as a complete dude.

It's become a really weird year on the whole as a position and then you throw Kittle's situation in there and it's absolutely hilarious.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5766 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:06 am

wco81 wrote:Wow what happened to Truffant? Seemed like he had a promising career.

Guess some of those players will be cut and become FAs next offseason.

1. Matt Ryan (11th) - Signed through 2023 (next out is after 2021)
2. Julio Jones (11th) - Signed through 2023 (next out is after 2022)
3. Jake Matthews (35th) - Signed through 2023 (no out built in)
4. Grady Jarrett (4th) - Signed through 2022 (next out is after 2021)
5. Desmond Trufant (70th) - Signed through 2022 (no out built in)
6. Alex Mack (21st) - Signed through 2020
7. Deion Jones (6th) - Signed through 2023 (next out is after 2021)
8. Devonta Freeman (48th) - Signed through 2022 (next out is after this year)
9. Mohamed Sanu (60th) - Signed through 2020
10. Ricardo Allen (71st) - Signed through 2021 (no out built in)

Many of them are signed long-term and the most convenient out for the team isn't for multiple seasons or at all.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5767 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:04 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
wco81 wrote:Howard was a first-round pick just two years ago. Do the Bucs have someone better?

Why would they trade a first-round talent for a 3rd or worse?

A 3rd-year vet' in a rookie deal only has 2.5 more years of cheapness, whereas a draft pick has 4 or 5. His value keeps reducing over time. And he didn't exactly light the world on fire to improve his value from his rookie year. He's been ok (and missed a lot of games).

I didn't write all that to say they would trade a talent like Howard. I was asked what they might be able to get back in return and provided historical examples of what other TEs went for in trades.

I'm somewhat skeptical they would move on from Howard but not entirely. Other people who are hoping that their team trades for Howard points to the fact that Arians has never really featured a TE in his offenses. But I wouldn't have either if my GM gave me guys like Rob Housler, Darren Fells, John Carlson, Jim Dray, Troy Niklas, Jake Ballard, Kory Sperry, Hakeem Valles, Gabe Holmes, and Antony Auclair.

At the same time, he HAS worked with a Jermaine Gresham (after many, many injuries), Cameron Brate (now), and obviously Howard. Those are the guys who are far superior athletically than most of the other guys he's had BUT at the same time if you look at the majority of what he's been given it's guys you don't ask a ton more from other than to become willing blockers who can double as a reliable safety valve.

So really there's been the two camps. I personally take general ideas from both sides and say that yes, Arians isn't the most TE forward coach that has a ton of history as a HC of going stretches where he will feature a TE if he can but he hasn't exactly been given a ton of time with big time talents for him to explore doing that.

As much of a fan as I am of him I'm skeptical he's now all of a sudden going to do that in his offense but I still think Howard offers so much as a receiver that a guy like Arians could make him the occasional dangerous piece in his offense - more so than what he's shown so far.

Where I PERSONALLY have had it wrong with Howard so far is I thought he'd be a lot more functional as a blocker than he has been. He's been terrible in the times he's been asked to do that. That's concerning in his offense if Howard is going to be an afterthought to guys like Evans and Godwin.

I'll wrap it up by once again highlighting that I didn't necessarily say that they will trade him for a 3rd or worse. I still think it's wise for them to work on it more with him before they have ideas of letting him go for something. Especially with a guy as intelligent as Arians is (Leftwich - I'm not so sure about so that's an X-factor and Winston as your QB is a problem). Where the 3rd stuff came up for me was in showing what other TEs have gone for in the past in combo with what I think of Howard as a player and the argument that can be made FOR him as a guy that many thought should be valued as a 1st round pick.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/21/lamar-jackson-ravens-jalen-ramsey-rams-jacoby-brissett-frank-reich-colts-mmqb

The Patriots’ decision to bring Benjamin Watson back after Matt LaCosse went to IR only further illustrates the team’s problems at Rob Gronkowski’s old spot. Eight days until the trade deadline. New England already asked, and was told no on, Buccaneers tight end OJ Howard. I’d expect they’ll be turning over rocks this week at the position.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5768 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:19 pm

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/21/lamar-jackson-ravens-jalen-ramsey-rams-jacoby-brissett-frank-reich-colts-mmqb

3. The most attractive name is someone no one is talking about. The one guy left on the Dolphins roster with high-end value is corner Xavien Howard. With his up-front money paid out, he’s set to make $11.93 million next year, $12.18 million in 2021, $12.98 million in ’22, $12 million even in ’23 and $12.25 million in ’24. Those are very affordable numbers for a top corner.

Would Miami actually trade a 26-year-old star at a premium spot? I believe it depends. Over the summer, I was told Howard and since-departed tackle Laremy Tunsil were in their own category—you can ask, but the answer’s probably going to be no. But the Dolphins found a bidder who wouldn’t take no for an answer, and two first-round picks and a second-rounder later, Tunsil is a Texan. So I guess someone like that could come along for Howard.

First, a gripe. "No one is talking about." Garbage. Pure garbage. A healthy percentage of armchair GMs have looked at their roster and wondered what it might take to pry Howard away from them. Stop using (everyone) the "no one is talking about" line until it's really necessary (example: like if you want to trade for the Rams 3rd-string TE - Johnny Mundt).

Next, a look at Howard's cap figures. 11th most this year, 11th most in 2020, 8th most in 2021, 2nd most in 2022 (list starts to shrink down), and is only 1 of 2 corners under contract in the NFL right now in 2023. And that will continue to move around as others are up for their new deals.

I'd MUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCH rather take on THOSE numbers than pump what I think it's going to take to re-up with Witherspoon. The question for me isn't about what he's making. I'm good with that right now if the off-the-field stuff checks out. It's the compensation that will be hard - like it was with Ramsey. I wouldn't give up a Ramsey package. but I'm not opposed to a 1 and something, especially if it looks like Lynch's position on the team is safe.

I would prefer if anyone wants to chime in on this topic to address the Witherspoon situation if you do. Include the deal (generically) you'd rather give to him vs. what Howard's looks like. I have no qualms if others also are a little scared at what the compensation back to Miami would be but if you're going to talk about a corner like Howard it only makes sense to address the fact that the 49ers are looking at having to dish out a rather large deal to Witherspoon soon barring a big time collapse on his end (always possible).

I probably also don't expect Sherman to last as long as others do as well and it's been a pain in my side since the mid 90s how much I've hated the depth at corner and the type of depth this team always seems to have/not have. I have never been happy with the names at that spot since then so I'm probably more anxious to build that spot up than others might be.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5769 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#5770 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:48 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/10/21/lamar-jackson-ravens-jalen-ramsey-rams-jacoby-brissett-frank-reich-colts-mmqb

3. The most attractive name is someone no one is talking about. The one guy left on the Dolphins roster with high-end value is corner Xavien Howard. With his up-front money paid out, he’s set to make $11.93 million next year, $12.18 million in 2021, $12.98 million in ’22, $12 million even in ’23 and $12.25 million in ’24. Those are very affordable numbers for a top corner.

Would Miami actually trade a 26-year-old star at a premium spot? I believe it depends. Over the summer, I was told Howard and since-departed tackle Laremy Tunsil were in their own category—you can ask, but the answer’s probably going to be no. But the Dolphins found a bidder who wouldn’t take no for an answer, and two first-round picks and a second-rounder later, Tunsil is a Texan. So I guess someone like that could come along for Howard.

First, a gripe. "No one is talking about." Garbage. Pure garbage. A healthy percentage of armchair GMs have looked at their roster and wondered what it might take to pry Howard away from them. Stop using (everyone) the "no one is talking about" line until it's really necessary (example: like if you want to trade for the Rams 3rd-string TE - Johnny Mundt).

Next, a look at Howard's cap figures. 11th most this year, 11th most in 2020, 8th most in 2021, 2nd most in 2022 (list starts to shrink down), and is only 1 of 2 corners under contract in the NFL right now in 2023. And that will continue to move around as others are up for their new deals.

I'd MUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCH rather take on THOSE numbers than pump what I think it's going to take to re-up with Witherspoon. The question for me isn't about what he's making. I'm good with that right now if the off-the-field stuff checks out. It's the compensation that will be hard - like it was with Ramsey. I wouldn't give up a Ramsey package. but I'm not opposed to a 1 and something, especially if it looks like Lynch's position on the team is safe.

I would prefer if anyone wants to chime in on this topic to address the Witherspoon situation if you do. Include the deal (generically) you'd rather give to him vs. what Howard's looks like. I have no qualms if others also are a little scared at what the compensation back to Miami would be but if you're going to talk about a corner like Howard it only makes sense to address the fact that the 49ers are looking at having to dish out a rather large deal to Witherspoon soon barring a big time collapse on his end (always possible).

I probably also don't expect Sherman to last as long as others do as well and it's been a pain in my side since the mid 90s how much I've hated the depth at corner and the type of depth this team always seems to have/not have. I have never been happy with the names at that spot since then so I'm probably more anxious to build that spot up than others might be.

Howard's rank in terms of level of compensation will fall. He could easily be in the late-teens or 20s by 2021 or 2022. That said, it's unrealistic, if he's still playing at a high level, to expect he wouldn't try to secure a new, better deal.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#5771 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:06 pm

The Seahawks lost yesterday too!!. I only saw part of the game. That pick six by Wilson was an awful throw
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5772 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5773 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:54 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5774 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5775 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5776 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5777 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Long been a personal favorite of mine. 3 sacks on 175 pass rushes this year and his grades have gone down each of the last 3 years (three different teams in that span).

A highly talked about player on this board - LA Tech Jaylon Ferguson - will be asked to help replace him. And they'll have to figure it out with...

Bye
vs. NE
@ CIN
vs. HOU
@ LAR
vs. SF
@ BUF

......next on their schedule followed by 3 easier games to finish...

vs. NYJ
@ CLE
vs. PIT
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5778 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Backup for them for the last 3 weeks (83 total snaps - 56 in coverage). 2 sacks on 5 pass rush snaps (both in his first game).
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5779 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#5780 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:17 pm

wco81 wrote:So far, Kittle has done a lot more than Goedert has.

Unfair comparison

Return to San Francisco 49ers