ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers trade DL DeForest Buckner to Colts for 1st round pick (#13)

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Re: 49ers trade DL DeForest Buckner to Colts for 1st round pick (#13) 

Post#61 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:47 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:How much are the 49ers going to invest in WRs when they have so many other positional needs?

Plus they had good offense this year, all based off the running game.

I don't see Kyle opening up the offense to throw it like the Saints do.

I have repeatedly bemoaned the resources they have thrown at the WR position to no avail. Big contract for Garcon. Big-ish extension for Goodwin. Traded up for Pettis. Samuel in the second and Hurd in the third last year. Our third and fourth this past year for Sanders. That's more than we've put to any position other than DL in the recent past.

But at the end of the day, WR is still a position of need. And I think there's a fair argument that our limitations at the position contributed to our SB loss. As with last year, my preference in a deep WR class would be to wait and address other positions first. That said, we don't pick in the second, third, or fourth rounds. I think we're very likely to use one of our first two picks (I still expect us to trade back with one of them) on the position, and I think that's probably the right call. It's just frustrating as it reflects the fact that Goodwin, Pettis, and Hurd are not panning out for us. But you can't fail to address a position because you've drafted unsuccessful players there previously (I'm not giving up on Hurd at this point by any means, but we can't rely on him, either).

I don't like including Hurd in the group that is not panning out for us. He suffered an injury that shelved him for the year but hasn't yet had a chance in a 49er uniform to prove himself and one injury does not label him injury prone. One rumor today is the 49ers tried to deal Pettis to another team but the other team turned the deal down. I think they are having trouble finding a suitor to give them anything close to the 2nd rd pick they give up for him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 969

Post#62 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:10 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:How much are the 49ers going to invest in WRs when they have so many other positional needs?

Plus they had good offense this year, all based off the running game.

I don't see Kyle opening up the offense to throw it like the Saints do.

I have repeatedly bemoaned the resources they have thrown at the WR position to no avail. Big contract for Garcon. Big-ish extension for Goodwin. Traded up for Pettis. Samuel in the second and Hurd in the third last year. Our third and fourth this past year for Sanders. That's more than we've put to any position other than DL in the recent past.

But at the end of the day, WR is still a position of need. And I think there's a fair argument that our limitations at the position contributed to our SB loss. As with last year, my preference in a deep WR class would be to wait and address other positions first. That said, we don't pick in the second, third, or fourth rounds. I think we're very likely to use one of our first two picks (I still expect us to trade back with one of them) on the position, and I think that's probably the right call. It's just frustrating as it reflects the fact that Goodwin, Pettis, and Hurd are not panning out for us. But you can't fail to address a position because you've drafted unsuccessful players there previously (I'm not giving up on Hurd at this point by any means, but we can't rely on him, either).

I don't like including Hurd in the group that is not panning out for us. He suffered an injury that shelved him for the year but hasn't yet had a chance in a 49er uniform to prove himself and one injury does not label him injury prone. One rumor today is the 49ers tried to deal Pettis to another team but the other team turned the deal down. I think they are having trouble finding a suitor to give them anything close to the 2nd rd pick they give up for him.

Sure, there was a (seemingly) valid reason for Hurd not to play, but at the end of the day, he hasn't panned out thus far whatever the reason. And he was a guy with some injury issues and questions about commitment in college who just sat out his rookie year. He's the type of big-bodied WR who is more likely to absorb some damage. I'm absolutely hopeful that he can bounce back and find a role on this team, maybe even as a starting receiver. But going into the draft, we can't count on that.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 969

Post#63 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:11 pm

And I'm probably always going to be pissed that we took him over McLaurin.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#64 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:41 pm

The 49ers have been very injured. We have no idea what the offense would look like if Kyle had his WRs healthy through camp and a season.

Aiyuk I really like, and I've always been a proponent of 1st round WRs I saw a re-draft that had Deebo as a top 15 pick, Peter King came away saying Hurd was the best offensive player in that camp, Aiyuk is perfect for Kyle's offense, Taylor was looking like a pro-bowl player before his injury. It's true that's a lot of injury issues, but as injured as this team has been I can't blame him for stacking extra talent there.

Cut down day is going to hurt some quality players pride if they are all healthy.

Return to San Francisco 49ers