ImageImageImageImageImage

Upcoming DB Free agents

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Upcoming DB Free agents 

Post#1 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:21 pm

The Niners have a ton of free agents coming up especially the DBs. I just wanted to go through the list and see what everyone thinks as to who stays, who goes and why. Here we go:

CB Richard Sherman - UFA - I think at this point with his age and history of tears to both achilles you move on from him. Or do you move him to FS and get rid of Ward? Would Sherman at FS be cheaper than Ward? I go with the youth, and keep Ward there and let Sherm walk.
CB Emmanuel Moseley - RFA - I think Niners should definitely look to sign him to a longer term deal 3-4 years. He's having a solid season and is very young.
CB K'Waun Williams - UFA - one of the best nickel corners in the game. But can they afford to keep him? Or should they let him walk and re-sign Verrett to another 1 year deal and move him to nickel?

CB Jason Verrett - UFA - having a great season. BUT, with his long and extensive injury history I think they sign him to another 1 year deal with more money and have him prove he can stay healthy.

SS Jaquiski Tartt - UFA - solid overall player. But I think he is replaceable with a cheaper player in the form a draft pick.

Thoughts?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: Upcoming DB Free agents 

Post#2 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:50 pm

Tough calls, but I think you mostly get them right. Sherman probably goes. I don't think he has the range this defense needs to play at FS, and Moore has been showing pretty well there to date. I wonder if we could roll with Moore and Ward at safety, or if we need more beef up front. Both Ward and Moore hit hard for their size.

I agree that we should try to re-sign Mosely. He's a gamer and a solid starter, though I wouldn't pay top dollar for him. Williams and Verrett are the tough ones for me. If Verrett will agree to a one-year deal, that's a no-brainer to me. But if he keeps playing well, he'll likely get a long-term offer somewhere. Williams doesn't seem to get a ton of respect, so I guess we see wat his market is. For whatever reason, slot corner doesn't usually make the big bucks, but I think it's a really important position.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,253

Post#3 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:37 pm

Dang, I hadn't noticed that almost the entire secondary are upcoming FA's.

At this point with his age and health history, I think Sherm's market will only be 1 year deal types. If that's the case, I'd bring him back.

I agree that Mosely should be a priority for a multi year extension.

A lot of what happens with Verrett depends on the rest of the season. If he stays healthy and keeps playing the way he has been, I would definitely be interested in extending him on a 3-4 year contract. That said if he stays healthy and productive the ROS, he probably will become priced out of Frisco's range.

Tartt is decent. He's a solid player but not one I would prioritize keeping.

I agree with the OP, that K'Waun is tied to what happens with Verrett. If Verrett stays, Williams goes and vice versa.

Also so far it seems like Jamar Taylor is a decent depth guy. I'd look into bringing him back in a similar role next season.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#4 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:03 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:The Niners have a ton of free agents coming up especially the DBs. I just wanted to go through the list and see what everyone thinks as to who stays, who goes and why. Here we go:

CB Richard Sherman - UFA - I think at this point with his age and history of tears to both achilles you move on from him. Or do you move him to FS and get rid of Ward? Would Sherman at FS be cheaper than Ward? I go with the youth, and keep Ward there and let Sherm walk.
CB Emmanuel Moseley - RFA - I think Niners should definitely look to sign him to a longer term deal 3-4 years. He's having a solid season and is very young.
CB K'Waun Williams - UFA - one of the best nickel corners in the game. But can they afford to keep him? Or should they let him walk and re-sign Verrett to another 1 year deal and move him to nickel?

CB Jason Verrett - UFA - having a great season. BUT, with his long and extensive injury history I think they sign him to another 1 year deal with more money and have him prove he can stay healthy.

SS Jaquiski Tartt - UFA - solid overall player. But I think he is replaceable with a cheaper player in the form a draft pick.

Thoughts?

KWaun Willliams I would like to see back at the right price. I think he might be not get all the credit he deserves for the plays he makes. With Verrett I would like to see what happens the rest of the season. If he finishes the season healthy and playing at a high level then I would try to bring him back and maybe let Sherman walk. What about T Moore at FS? He played there last week. Need to see him on the field more

Return to San Francisco 49ers