CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: GDT: PACKERS VS. 49ERS 

Post#101 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:10 am

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
When exactly has Garoppolo had a full supporting cast this season?

My point was actually that its funny that when absences around Garoppolo are mentioned then its deemed as an excuse, but apparently its valid to to use them as a crutch for Mullens.

Appreciate the personal insult though

It was a qualified insult. I assume you do not believe what you are saying, and thus are not a moron. But I'm open to changing my mind.

Shanahan hasn't shown confidence in Garoppolo in almost a year. It's not just this year, but much of last year, too. Some of that can be chalked up to Shanahan's conservatism in playcalling, but it's pretty clear he doesn't like to put the game in Garoppolo's hands when he can avoid it.

As for the supporting cast, it's not comparable. Garoppolo had some games at less than full strength, but this offensive cast is comical. I couldn't even name a WR on the active roster other than Taylor and James (who I honestly forgot was playing tonight) at noon today. And the OL is more of a mess than anything Garoppolo has had to deal with this season. Those aren't excuses, it's just reality. This is the least talented offensive unit that will take the field in the NFL this season, with the possible exception of the Jets at full strength.

Of course this is a comical cast tonight. Still even using that factor to lower the grading curve, Mullens has been nothing but godawful. This type of game wouldn't even be passable by High School standards. He can't even complete a pass, unless the receiver is open by like 8 yards. His best play tonight was actually an incompletion. It was the pass in the end zone that Cracraft couldn't complete the catch on.

But its time for the defense to get into prevent mode, so the box score is gonna get more attractive.

I have no faith in Garoppolo to play better with this cast. And frankly, though he doesn't have the zip Garoppolo sometimes musters, I think at this point Mullens throws a better deep ball.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,253

Post#102 » by thesack12 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:14 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:As far as Garoppolo, my issues with him revolve mostly around the lack of development. He constantly makes the same mistakes, and at this point, it doesn't appear that he has the physical skills to overcome his mental lapses.

Again, I'm listening to potential replacement options.

Let's check in this offseason. Though at this point, I'd take Mullens for a fraction of the price. Though Mullens is a FA (though maybe restricted?) this offseason.

Yeah Mullens is a RFA. At this rate he's going to come dirt ass cheap because he isn't going to receive any outside interest.

But for me, he's a HARD pass unless the goal for next season is to tank.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#103 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:18 am

Able to stay inbounds? Ha! Should just be playing for the end of the game, apparently. It would be a kindness, frankly.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#104 » by thesack12 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:19 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
It was a qualified insult. I assume you do not believe what you are saying, and thus are not a moron. But I'm open to changing my mind.

Shanahan hasn't shown confidence in Garoppolo in almost a year. It's not just this year, but much of last year, too. Some of that can be chalked up to Shanahan's conservatism in playcalling, but it's pretty clear he doesn't like to put the game in Garoppolo's hands when he can avoid it.

As for the supporting cast, it's not comparable. Garoppolo had some games at less than full strength, but this offensive cast is comical. I couldn't even name a WR on the active roster other than Taylor and James (who I honestly forgot was playing tonight) at noon today. And the OL is more of a mess than anything Garoppolo has had to deal with this season. Those aren't excuses, it's just reality. This is the least talented offensive unit that will take the field in the NFL this season, with the possible exception of the Jets at full strength.

Of course this is a comical cast tonight. Still even using that factor to lower the grading curve, Mullens has been nothing but godawful. This type of game wouldn't even be passable by High School standards. He can't even complete a pass, unless the receiver is open by like 8 yards. His best play tonight was actually an incompletion. It was the pass in the end zone that Cracraft couldn't complete the catch on.

But its time for the defense to get into prevent mode, so the box score is gonna get more attractive.

I have no faith in Garoppolo to play better with this cast. And frankly, though he doesn't have the zip Garoppolo sometimes musters, I think at this point Mullens throws a better deep ball.

To be fair, we have yet to see Garoppolo with a complete cast of Deebo/Aiyuk/Kittle/Mostert/Full O-line w/Richburg
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#105 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:20 am

Yeah...that was just Richie being dumb.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#106 » by thesack12 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:22 am

McKinnon just destroyed & saved 10's of thousands of fantasy teams at the same time.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#107 » by thesack12 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:24 am

Why not practice an onside kick there?
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#108 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:25 am

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

To be fair, we have yet to see Garoppolo with a complete cast of Deebo/Aiyuk/Kittle/Mostert/Full O-line w/Richburg
I thought we saw that vs Philly (minus Richburg)?
thesack12
RealGM

Post#109 » by thesack12 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:27 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Jimmy didn't play against Philly. That was the game Mullens gagged away.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#110 » by RIPskaterdude » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:35 am

thesack12 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

You're right, I was thinking of the Miami game
thesack12
RealGM

Post#111 » by thesack12 » Fri Nov 6, 2020 4:50 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:I thought we saw that vs Philly (minus Richburg)?

They were together for the 1st half of that game. Was Mostert's 1st game back after missing 2 games with a knee injury, Jimmy's 1st game back after missing 2 games with an ankle injury, only Deebo's 2nd game back after missing like 6 months with a broken foot, and Kittle's 2nd game back after missing 2 games with a knee injury.

I think we need a better sample to properly evaluate.

Also, I think its worth pointing out that this group simply hasn't had the luxury of practicing together. Deebo missed the entire offseason/training camp/first 3 games with the broken foot, and Aiyuk missed a large portion of training camp/ 1st game with a hamstring issue. And with so many guys getting hurt, and re-hurt, during games they obviously haven't been able to practice together as a unit during the season either.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#112 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:12 pm

thesack12 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

They were together for the 1st half of that game. Was Mostert's 1st game back after missing 2 games with a knee injury, Jimmy's 1st game back after missing 2 games with an ankle injury, only Deebo's 2nd game back after missing like 6 months with a broken foot, and Kittle's 2nd game back after missing 2 games with a knee injury.

I think we need a better sample to properly evaluate.

Also, I think its worth pointing out that this group simply hasn't had the luxury of practicing together. Deebo missed the entire offseason/training camp/first 3 games with the broken foot, and Aiyuk missed a large portion of training camp/ 1st game with a hamstring issue. And with so many guys getting hurt, and re-hurt, during games they obviously haven't been able to practice together as a unit during the season either.

Those things are relevant to Garoppolo's performance, of course, but you can evaluate a QB's performance even in less-than-ideal circumstances. I see a guy who doesn't do a great job of reading the defense pre-snap; a guy who doesn't make the right reads; a guy who frequently doesn't see zone defenders; a guy who struggles to get through more than two progressions; a guy who is struggling to deliver the ball accurately; a guy who can't throw accurately down the field (and couldn't even prior to the injury); a guy who repeats his mistakes instead of learning from them.

Meanwhile, what are his demonstrable strengths? He still has a relatively quick release. His accuracy is decent. He tends to bounce back quickly from mistakes. In a pretty limited sample, he "wins." His teammates seem to like him. I really feel like I'm being pretty objective here, and I have historically been a Garoppolo supporter/defender, and I can't come up with more.

In 2017, I would have had a lot more positives to list. Decisive. Very accurate in the middle of the field. Throws with good zip and threads the needle. Delivers the ball under pressure. Effectively none of those things have been consistently true since he returned from the injury, and he seems to have regressed this year. Can some of his struggles be attributed to his supporting cast? Sure. But at the end of the day, I think there's too many negatives based on the things he can control, and not enough positives.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,700

Post#113 » by SfBull » Fri Nov 6, 2020 5:32 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Garoppolo´s days as a 49er are counted ,he´ll likely be cut in the postseason.We´re going to collect more losses like that looking for a high draft pick for the best quarterback available.

Return to San Francisco 49ers