ImageImageImageImageImage

In 2021 Let's trade for Sam Darnold

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: In 2021 Let's trade for Sam Darnold 

Post#21 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:18 pm

We should only consider Darnold if he'd be very cheap in a trade, and even then we need a backup plan. If the Jets take a QB, which they basically have to, there's a fair chance they cut Darnold, in which case he would be a low-cost reclamation project a la Josh Rosen. No reason not to take a look in that case. He's got to be better than Beathard, and there's a fair chance Shanahan could turn him into something. But we need to really marshal our resources (cap space and draft picks) going forward in a way this FO didn't have to for the first several years.
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Post#22 » by Yoshi » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:02 am

Dodub wrote:I’m not ready to go all in on Sam Darnold as I’m not convinced that he isn’t simply a bust. If anyone can get the most out of him it’s Shanahan, but it’s definitely a roll of the dice considering we have a Super Bowl roster when healthy.

Not so sure this is a SB caliber roster, Dub. The Niners have one of the worst OL's in all of the league, and even when they get Bosa back they need depth in the DL, and their secondary needs to be sorted out with all of the FA's. The Niners probably have the coach, but they do not have a franchise QB to pair with him. They can still use another outside threat as Deebo looks to be injury prone, and getting a bell cow at RB to backup Mostert/Wilson Jr is a must.
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Post#23 » by Yoshi » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:11 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
dr3am wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Buy low on Sam.... I like it

You serious?

At the moment yes... Sam still needs to be better in few ways but the simple things he does well, intangibles, our offense would greatly benefit from .

The NY Jets have done Darnold more harm than good. Maybe he can be the difference maker in a Kyle shanahan structure or maybe not but he would be given so much more to succeed than he ever had... it’ll be like a new beginning for him.

I'm not just saying this because I'm a Cal guy, but USC QB's are glorified statues in the NFL - such a laundry list of Dirty Sanchez, Leinart, Booty, Barkley, and Darnold. Granted the Jets didn't allow him to develop, and Darnold can make throws that any QB wearing a Niner jersey can only hope to make, but his brain is what I have issues with. If the Niners do decide to grab Darnold, it better be a low round pick because they already lost their 3rd this upcoming draft for an inconsistent Trent Williams. Also, the Niners need a plan B but with them unlikely to get Lawrence, Fields, and possibly Wilson, I'm not sure what they're going to do with their QB situation. The cap drops to 175 mill this season, and Jimmy is clearly overpaid at his 27+ million contract. But do the Niners bring him back because they may not have a competent backup plan?
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#24 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:22 pm

Yoshi wrote:
Dodub wrote:I’m not ready to go all in on Sam Darnold as I’m not convinced that he isn’t simply a bust. If anyone can get the most out of him it’s Shanahan, but it’s definitely a roll of the dice considering we have a Super Bowl roster when healthy.

Not so sure this is a SB caliber roster, Dub. The Niners have one of the worst OL's in all of the league, and even when they get Bosa back they need depth in the DL, and their secondary needs to be sorted out with all of the FA's. The Niners probably have the coach, but they do not have a franchise QB to pair with him. They can still use another outside threat as Deebo looks to be injury prone, and getting a bell cow at RB to backup Mostert/Wilson Jr is a must.

You're not wrong, but every team in the league has areas of weakness. At full strength, the Niners compare favorably with most of them. The problem is that FA is going to absolutely brutalize this roster:

Trent Williams, Richard Sherman, Jason Verrett, K'Waun Williams, Kyle Juszczyk, DJ Jones, Kerry Hyder, Jaquiski Tartt, and Kendrick Bourne are all at least borderline starters (I'm including the #3 CB and #3 WR as starters as they play a lot) who are unrestricted FAs.

That's well over 1/3 of our starting players, including several of our better players. I'm sure we'll try to keep T. Williams and at least one of the CBs (Ahkello Witherspoon and Jamar Taylor are also FAs). Mosley is an ERFA, thank God, so we'll keep him around at least one more year. But we're going to see a lot of those guys walk. Hopefully we'll be able to keep guys like Hyder or Ronald Blair for relative discounts, but even with the injured players returning - if they can manage that under this current training staff - this roster will take some big hits and will not be able to address them all.
SalemStoner
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#25 » by SalemStoner » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:35 am

If we’re bring him in as backup who maybe could play well enough to take the starter job? Sure.
If we’re bringing him in to be the starter? No thanks. There’s better options available imo.

Return to San Francisco 49ers