ImageImageImageImageImage

Apologize to Ambry Thomas

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Apologize to Ambry Thomas 

Post#1 » by I_am_1z » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:43 am

Collecting apologies for Sir Thomas. A lot of you hated on the guy for giving up a bunch of yardage whilst playing great coverage. He was getting Moss'd, he even got Moss'd by Higbee today, but at least he doesn't look lost in coverage. Now, he FINALLY makes the play on the ball to get us into the playoffs...

Drop apologies below
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Re: Apologize to Ambry Thomas 

Post#2 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:48 am

I was slightly positive on Thomas and I thought he just needs to bulk up a bit more and work on playing the ball better.

My main concern was if he's going to get over the hump because we've had plenty of DBs that just never took that next step and I'm hoping he's not going to be one of them.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#3 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:28 pm

Thomas struggled a lot. A rookie was put in a position that was not expected but forced into because of injuries. I wasn't writing him off for rookie struggles even missed a year of school
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#4 » by I_am_1z » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:36 am

Ambry Thomas now is playing like he's the best defensive back on the 49ers. We're still accepting apologies in this thread.

If we kept Akhello Witherspoon, we would have had another great cover CB. He's doing amazing on the Steelers--as expected from a guy who just needed a scenery change.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#5 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:09 am

Didn't hear Thomas' name all game which is great for a CB. He is really learning and growing, imagine what another off-season and training camp will do for him.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#6 » by Dodub » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:50 pm

I’m very excited to see what kind of progress Ambry makes in the off-season. He’s really come along this year and without a doubt has solidified himself as a true NFL starting CB. He’s looking like a really really good pick. I was never one of his haters, but I’m still here to say how excited I am for him.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#7 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 am

Ambry has certainly started to come into his own the last couple weeks. He's even been an every snap player recently. All of Which is great to see, especially when he has stepped up right when the 9ers have needed stable CB play the most.

That withstanding, I haven't forgotten the first 16 weeks of the season.

He started off being a healthy scratch for 5 of the first 7 games, despite the CB situation being a mess
He was sparingly used as a kick returner, and left a lot to be desired
Receivers are gaining 20.8 yards per reception allowed by Ambry
Bengals game he had penalties that negated an interception & a sack, which if my mem serves me was on the same possession
The Titans relentlessly targeted him with great success, which allowed the Titans to convert several 3rd and longs that game

Having said that, his arrow is currently firmly pointing upward. The 9ers need him to continue his solid play to keep advancing in the playoffs.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#8 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:47 pm

I actually defended Thomas after his rocky start, noting that he was not only in pretty good position most of the time, but was also looking back from the ball, he just wasn't locating. After an extremely rocky start, he has really put it together in a hurry. I don't have access to the All-22, so it's hard to review CB play unless he's getting beaten, but it sure looks like he's made truly dramatic improvement over the span of a few weeks, and shored up what was almost certainly our biggest weakness.

I'm really curious to see how he continues to progress. He sat out his last season, or he likely would have gone a fair bit higher than he did. Let's hope we got a steal. Though I still think we need another couple CBs this offseason.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#9 » by arich35 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:20 am

thesack12 wrote:Ambry has certainly started to come into his own the last couple weeks. He's even been an every snap player recently. All of Which is great to see, especially when he has stepped up right when the 9ers have needed stable CB play the most.

That withstanding, I haven't forgotten the first 16 weeks of the season.

He started off being a healthy scratch for 5 of the first 7 games, despite the CB situation being a mess
He was sparingly used as a kick returner, and left a lot to be desired
Receivers are gaining 20.8 yards per reception allowed by Ambry
Bengals game he had penalties that negated an interception & a sack, which if my mem serves me was on the same possession
The Titans relentlessly targeted him with great success, which allowed the Titans to convert several 3rd and longs that game

Having said that, his arrow is currently firmly pointing upward. The 9ers need him to continue his solid play to keep advancing in the playoffs.

Haven't seen anything mentioning how he took 2020 off. It has to be tough going from being away from football for a year going straight to a NFL team and games. It was always going to take him time to get back up to speed and ready to go. If I remember correctly people were saying he would have been a top 2 round pick if he would have played in 2020
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#10 » by thesack12 » Tue Feb 1, 2022 2:53 am

Ambry Thomas wasn't a disaster last night, but he had his detrimental moments.

3rd & 2 from the Rams 11, Ambry commits a PI allowing the Rams to extend the drive
3rd & 6 from SF 28, Ambry gets worked by Kupp and allows a 15 yard reception
3rd & 13 from SF 16, Ambry gets lost, blows his assignment and allows Kupp to run by him for an easy 16 yard TD pass

That play sequence all occurred on the same possession. Which was a 19 play drive that started on LA's 3 yard line that burned 9.5 minutes of clock. It started with the game tied 0-0.

Ambry Thomas definitely made some strides late this season, and his arrow is currently pointing up. But overall his rookie season was not a good one.

Return to San Francisco 49ers