ImageImageImageImageImage

The GTFO Jimmy Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,451

Re: The GTFO Jimmy Thread 

Post#121 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 5:17 pm

One thing about Jimmy and 49ers QB in general is that they haven't had a #1 WR in a long time, a guy who wins quickly and consistently.

I'm not saying he'd have the same production if he had Kupp to throw to but he'd have so many more easy throws, without having to hold the ball as long.

That's what Trey will have to deal with, either make "stick" throws into WRs who haven't separated from the defender or hold the ball and wait for more separation.

The one guy they have who can win a lot is Kittle but they often have him in pass protection or go for short patterns, which he often turns into big gains by breaking tackles and so forth.

Imagine if Kittle was on the Chiefs, he'd get at least the kind of numbers Kelce gets, wouldn't' need as much RAC.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#122 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 6:18 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
SfBull wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Too short term in thinking. It isn't about the first year or two of his career that defines a first round pick, it is the following 10+ years that defines it.

Not sure if Lance was the right choice for Niners' future, perhaps drafting Fields could have been a better option .
Let's see how they'll play in 2022.

I liked Fields more based on a pretty thorough review of the film (watched effectively all of their games at least once, and several games twice, though not on All-22), but I don't have the benefit of sitting down with these guys and talking to them. Biggest thing for me was Fields' accuracy, which is markedly better than Lance's, or was in college, at least. In addition to the caliber of opponent he faced in college. I was pretty concerned about Lance's accuracy, and that his athleticism wouldn't translate once he wasn't the best athlete on the field.

That said, he's a really talented kid who apparently has a great head on his shoulders. Based on the very small sample size we've seen to date, his accuracy has looked okay (it's not so much an issue of pure accuracy, but inconsistency; he'll just throw a completely off-target ball every once in a while, while Fields was incredibly accurate in college). His athleticism hasn't been what some made it out to be. But on the physical side of things, the bar Jimmy set isn't very high. The real struggle will probably be the mental piece, and everything you read/hear suggests that he's going to put everything he has into working through that stuff. But it will almost certainly come with growing pains. Here's to hoping there aren't too many of them.

I think the mental piece is a big thing for Fields also
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 970

Post#123 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 2, 2022 7:46 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Read on Twitter

To be fair to Jimmy every QB is going to have missed opportunities a game but the difference is the great ones don't have that many.

I bring this up to go back to my point in I'd like to see what Kyle does with Lance before deciding if he's going to be a coach that just comes up a little short all the time or if he just needs a guy that can operate his offense at full capacity.

If Jimmy just makes a couple of those plays shown we probably win the game and that's why you see McVay go get a Stafford and why you see Shanahan get a Trey Lance in the hopes that have a guy that can hit on plays like that more often.

Yeah, part of what's telling in this Twitter thread is that Jimmy really isn't under pressure on any of the throws - at least not such that he can't make what sure looks like a first or second read throw.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#124 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 2, 2022 7:51 pm

thesack12 wrote:^^^
What was the play call?

Watching the video of that play and Judging by Jimmy's eyes, I'd say it was a quick slant to Aiyuk. Jimmy looked off Aiyuk since he wasn't into his break yet, and he spotted Mitchell uncovered in the flat and decided to take the sure thing instead of waiting for something that might not have been there.

Also looking at the video, I don't know if Jimmy would of had a a good window to get a throw to Aiyuk past the Rams DLine. If he went to Aiyuk there it would have been angled to the dead center of the pocket. By the time Aiyuk went into his break #91 had a step on Laken to the inside, and was looking right at Jimmy. So there is a chance he would of batted down a pass that would have been whistling right by his helmet.

Of course Jimmy missed some plays, Most glaring being the misfire to Kittle on the first possession. It was there, Jimmy saw it but he just didn't execute what was needed to make the play. Jimmy didn't make enough plays the win the game, the running back made like next to zero plays, the offensive line played incredibly poor across the board, and the the defense routinely couldn't get off of the field.

Looks to me like Aiyuk is starting his break, clearly with inside position, as Jimmy is coming off him for the checkdown. And this goes to Jimmy's vision and anticipation. It's mediocre at best. That sure looks like his first read, it's open, and he had time. He should have put enough air under it to get it over the LBs anyway, so I don't see a DL being able to bat it. He should have thrown it to Aiyuk.

As I said during the game, our guys were getting open all night. The Rams have elite players, but they're thin. They don't have depth, especially at LB and on the back end. Jimmy had lots of opportunities to capitalize and didn't. Got to hope Trey can see those things better. He's supposed to be a film junkie, so hopefully he can figure it out quickly.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#125 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 2, 2022 7:52 pm

wco81 wrote:One thing about Jimmy and 49ers QB in general is that they haven't had a #1 WR in a long time, a guy who wins quickly and consistently.

I'm not saying he'd have the same production if he had Kupp to throw to but he'd have so many more easy throws, without having to hold the ball as long.

That's what Trey will have to deal with, either make "stick" throws into WRs who haven't separated from the defender or hold the ball and wait for more separation.

The one guy they have who can win a lot is Kittle but they often have him in pass protection or go for short patterns, which he often turns into big gains by breaking tackles and so forth.

Imagine if Kittle was on the Chiefs, he'd get at least the kind of numbers Kelce gets, wouldn't' need as much RAC.

I think Aiyuk can be that kind of guy. He's a more natural route runner than Deebo, though Deebo showed a lot of growth in that area this year. Neither guy has blinding quickness, but they both have the ability to lose their coverage man quickly.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,451

Post#126 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 8:07 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:One thing about Jimmy and 49ers QB in general is that they haven't had a #1 WR in a long time, a guy who wins quickly and consistently.

I think Aiyuk can be that kind of guy. He's a more natural route runner than Deebo, though Deebo showed a lot of growth in that area this year. Neither guy has blinding quickness, but they both have the ability to lose their coverage man quickly.

They may still draft WRs, including trading up in the draft, despite misses like Pettis and Hurd.

I don't think they had a choice but keeping Bourne this season would have helped as well.

Someone noted that Trey and Aiyuk are going to work together in the offseason. But he really needs to develop chemistry with Kittle and Shanahan needs to use him more to sustain possession.

Kittle has made great plays with big RAC. It isn't because they consistently scheme him to get the 10-15 yard passes which are staples of some great passing teams with productive TEs.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,269

Post#127 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 8:35 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
What was the play call?

Watching the video of that play and Judging by Jimmy's eyes, I'd say it was a quick slant to Aiyuk. Jimmy looked off Aiyuk since he wasn't into his break yet, and he spotted Mitchell uncovered in the flat and decided to take the sure thing instead of waiting for something that might not have been there.

Also looking at the video, I don't know if Jimmy would of had a a good window to get a throw to Aiyuk past the Rams DLine. If he went to Aiyuk there it would have been angled to the dead center of the pocket. By the time Aiyuk went into his break #91 had a step on Laken to the inside, and was looking right at Jimmy. So there is a chance he would of batted down a pass that would have been whistling right by his helmet.

Of course Jimmy missed some plays, Most glaring being the misfire to Kittle on the first possession. It was there, Jimmy saw it but he just didn't execute what was needed to make the play. Jimmy didn't make enough plays the win the game, the running back made like next to zero plays, the offensive line played incredibly poor across the board, and the the defense routinely couldn't get off of the field.

Looks to me like Aiyuk is starting his break, clearly with inside position, as Jimmy is coming off him for the checkdown. And this goes to Jimmy's vision and anticipation. It's mediocre at best. That sure looks like his first read, it's open, and he had time. He should have put enough air under it to get it over the LBs anyway, so I don't see a DL being able to bat it. He should have thrown it to Aiyuk.

As I said during the game, our guys were getting open all night. The Rams have elite players, but they're thin. They don't have depth, especially at LB and on the back end. Jimmy had lots of opportunities to capitalize and didn't. Got to hope Trey can see those things better. He's supposed to be a film junkie, so hopefully he can figure it out quickly.

When I watch the video of that play, I see Aiyuk hadn't started his break before Jimmy looks off him. Also, while Aiyuk had inside position on the DB, that backer is sitting watching Jimmy's eyes. Had Jimmy continued to stare down Aiyuk waiting for the break that backer is going to react and get in that throwing lane as soon as Jimmy winds up to throw. You want your QB to look off his receivers, especially when it takes a bit for a play to develop like it did with this one. In this instance, Jimmy spotted Eli left uncovered in the flat and decided to take that read as it was an easy way to pick up yardage.

Also, the video of the end zone view of that play clearly shows #91 getting a step inside on Laken and is right in the middle of the pocket. We'll never know if 91 gets his hands on a pass to Aiyuk there. But considering his positioning and the angle the throw would have needed to be, it wouldn't have been too difficult for 91 to at least tip the pass.

As I mentioned earlier what was the play call here? Mitchell was clearly struggling to get anything going all game, perhaps the play call all along was to get Eli out in the flat and let him pick up some easy yardage in the hopes it would get him rolling. Maybe, maybe not but play calling is obviously going to effect your QB's thought processes on any given play. So when breaking down any play, its important to know what the call was to truly evaluate what was going on.

Of course Jimmy missed some opportunities in this game, and needed to make a few more plays. That can't be argued. However, I just don't think this particular play is one to harp on. It gained 11 yards and a 1st down. While that's far from a big play, it was still a successful play.

If we want to talk about missed opportunities, one that I haven't really heard a whisper about is the pretty deep ball Jimmy dropped in the bucket to Aiyuk down the sideline. The defender fell down after the catch and Aiyuk had a free path to the endzone, yet he wasn't able to stay inbounds.

Granted 2 plays after that Aiyuk deep ball, Deebo housed that screen so the possession resulted winded up resulting in a TD anyways. Which is why you won't hear much of anything about Aiyuk missing an opportunity. Still, if we are going to evaluate everything and everybody on a even level, Aiyuk needs to score on that play.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#128 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 2, 2022 9:17 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
What was the play call?

When I watch the video of that play, I see Aiyuk hadn't started his break before Jimmy looks off him. Also, while Aiyuk had inside position on the DB, that backer is sitting watching Jimmy's eyes. Had Jimmy continued to stare down Aiyuk waiting for the break that backer is going to react and get in that throwing lane as soon as Jimmy winds up to throw. You want your QB to look off his receivers, especially when it takes a bit for a play to develop like it did with this one. In this instance, Jimmy spotted Eli left uncovered in the flat and decided to take that read as it was an easy way to pick up yardage.

Also, the video of the end zone view of that play clearly shows #91 getting a step inside on Laken and is right in the middle of the pocket. We'll never know if 91 gets his hands on a pass to Aiyuk there. But considering his positioning and the angle the throw would have needed to be, it wouldn't have been too difficult for 91 to at least tip the pass.

As I mentioned earlier what was the play call here? Mitchell was clearly struggling to get anything going all game, perhaps the play call all along was to get Eli out in the flat and let him pick up some easy yardage in the hopes it would get him rolling. Maybe, maybe not but play calling is obviously going to effect your QB's thought processes on any given play. So when breaking down any play, its important to know what the call was to truly evaluate what was going on.

Of course Jimmy missed some opportunities in this game, and needed to make a few more plays. That can't be argued. However, I just don't think this particular play is one to harp on. It gained 11 yards and a 1st down. While that's far from a big play, it was still a successful play.

If we want to talk about missed opportunities, one that I haven't really heard a whisper about is the pretty deep ball Jimmy dropped in the bucket to Aiyuk down the sideline. The defender fell down after the catch and Aiyuk had a free path to the endzone, yet he wasn't able to stay inbounds.

Granted 2 plays after that Aiyuk deep ball, Deebo housed that screen so the possession resulted winded up resulting in a TD anyways. Which is why you won't hear much of anything about Aiyuk missing an opportunity. Still, if we are going to evaluate everything and everybody on a even level, Aiyuk needs to score on that play.

I just am not seeing it the way you are. I'm not sure how to insert a still image of the play, but when Aiyuk starts his inside move, the DTs are still blocked up and Jimmy has a clean pocket. Aiyuk clearly has inside position, the LB is even or a half-step behind Deebo and still in a backpedal. If Jimmy throws it right at that moment to the 40 or 38 along the hash, it's at worst a big gain, and very possibly a TD. You see Aiyuk react with frustration. He knows he had a big play.

And you nail the reason why no one is talking about Aiyuk going out. It had virtually no impact on the game because of what happened almost immediately afterward. Sure, it was a nice ball by Jimmy, and I thought Aiyuk was going to stay in. If we had punted, it would have been a story. As it was, Deebo housed a ball and Jimmy was credited with a TD where his contribution was negligible to compensate for the one he missed out on.

If you keep reading the Twitter thread, it's clear that Jimmy repeatedly missed open guys. And again, you can say that about any QB in any game, but poor vision/anticipation has been a recurrig theme for Garoppolo.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#129 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 2, 2022 9:20 pm

wco81 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

They may still draft WRs, including trading up in the draft, despite misses like Pettis and Hurd.

I don't think they had a choice but keeping Bourne this season would have helped as well.

Someone noted that Trey and Aiyuk are going to work together in the offseason. But he really needs to develop chemistry with Kittle and Shanahan needs to use him more to sustain possession.

Kittle has made great plays with big RAC. It isn't because they consistently scheme him to get the 10-15 yard passes which are staples of some great passing teams with productive TEs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they add another WR, but the shouldn't do it in the early rounds. WR is a position where you can always find value, and they have glaring needs and the makings of an excellent top-3 in Samuel, Aiyuk, and Jennings.

I think Aiyuk is going to see a lot more opportunities with Lance than he did with Garoppolo. Lance likes to throw outside the numbers and down the field. Jimmy was allergic to both. You're right that we need to continue to involve Kittle, who is one of our best weapons, but if we're moving away from him a bit because we're utilizing a passing game that looks for the big play more, I can definitely live with that. And Aiyuk also has very good instincts with the ball in his hands, even if he's not a tackle-breaking monster like Kittle and Samuel.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#130 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 9:43 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:

Not completely relevant to the subject being discussed here.

But after week 10 (First LA game) Deebo pretty much became a part time WR.

Week 11 @ Jaguars: 1 catch (2 targets) for 15 yards
Week 12 vs Vikings: 1 catch (4 targets) for 12 yards
Week 13 @ Seattle: DNP
Week 14 @ Bengals: 1 catch (1 target) for 22 yards
Week 15 vs Falcons: 4 catches (5 targets) 60 yards
Week 16 @ Titans: 9 catches (11 targets) 159 yards
Week 17 vs Texans: 3 catches (6 targets) 63 yards
Week 17 @ Rams: 4 catches (6 targets) 95 yards

Adds up to 23 catches for 426 yards on 35 targets in 7 games.

Playoffs:

Wild card @ Dallas: 3 catches (3 targets) for 38 yards
Divisional @ Green Bay: 3 catches (4 targets) for 44 yards
NFCCG @ Rams: 4 catches (7 targets) for 72 yards

Adds up to 13 catches for 154 yards on 14 targets in 3 games.

This after Deebo made great strides as a WR early this season. Deebo was sitting with 54 catches for 979 yards on 86 targets after the first 9 games.

At that point Deebo also led the NFL in catches and yards. His usage in the passing game is literally night and day in each half of the season. All this also happened during a portion of the season where Aiyuk was in the doghouse most of that time, and Kittle missed 3 games. So Deebo was out there as the only legitimate threat a good portion of that timeframe.

Now of course, Deebo still made MONUMENTAL impacts on games and is a truly electric player. But parking him in the backfield and using him primarily as a runner, definitely had an adverse effect on the overall passing game.

To me, Kyles motivation to transition Deebo into primarily lining up in the backfield was Mitchell getting hurt in week 10 against the Rams. Eli missed week 11 @ the Jags. Mitchell came back and looked great vs the Vikings in week 12 but struggled in week 13 @ seattle before getting hurt yet again. Mitchell went on to miss the Bengals/Falcons/Titans/ games and he never really looked right after returning. He ended struggling up the entire rest of the way, and was bad in the playoffs. He just wasn't the same player that he was earlier in the season.

To summarize, i think its safe to say Mitchell getting hurt had a far and reaching impact on how Kyle game planned/called plays in the second half of the season and the playoffs. 9ers had nothing of substance behind Mitchell, and with Eli consistently struggling Kyle had to fabricate some kind of a running attack. It mostly worked, so props to him on that. But it became a bit to predictable, easier to game plan against and ultimately is not a sustainable model moving forward into next season and beyond.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#131 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 9:53 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:I have a feeling Jimmy is gonna end up on the Bucs. That would be some timeline.

I don't know. Arians loves the downfield passing game, so it's hard to see him wanting Jimmy. That said, he may not have much in the way of other options unless they feel Trask is ready.

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#132 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 2, 2022 9:54 pm

Deebo also started seeing a lot more attention from defenses. You can see it in the Twitter thread above, the Rams were bracketing him on almost every play. It's a big part of why Aiyuk and Kittle were open so frequently. I'd love to add another versatile RB who can play a bit as a WR.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#133 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 2, 2022 9:56 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:I have a feeling Jimmy is gonna end up on the Bucs. That would be some timeline.

I don't know. Arians loves the downfield passing game, so it's hard to see him wanting Jimmy. That said, he may not have much in the way of other options unless they feel Trask is ready.

Read on Twitter

They're a team that is ready to compete now, and there aren't a lot of QBs available who can lead that sort of an offense, so it does make sense in a lot of ways. But man, I'd expect Arians to get awfully frustrated with him.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#134 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 10:11 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Read on Twitter

They're a team that is ready to compete now, and there aren't a lot of QBs available who can lead that sort of an offense, so it does make sense in a lot of ways. But man, I'd expect Arians to get awfully frustrated with him.

With Brady hangin em up, I'm not entirely convinced Arians returns.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#135 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 10:17 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they add another WR, but the shouldn't do it in the early rounds. WR is a position where you can always find value, and they have glaring needs and the makings of an excellent top-3 in Samuel, Aiyuk, and Jennings.

I think Aiyuk is going to see a lot more opportunities with Lance than he did with Garoppolo. Lance likes to throw outside the numbers and down the field. Jimmy was allergic to both. You're right that we need to continue to involve Kittle, who is one of our best weapons, but if we're moving away from him a bit because we're utilizing a passing game that looks for the big play more, I can definitely live with that. And Aiyuk also has very good instincts with the ball in his hands, even if he's not a tackle-breaking monster like Kittle and Samuel.

I think Kittle's involvement in the passing game is largely predicated on how well (or poor) the O-line pass protects. Kittle is very, very good blocker and when the pass pro is struggling Kyle uses George to help out with that.

Kittle can be lethal as a receiver, so the more routes he runs the better obviously. Even if he doesn't get targeted Defenses are forced to roll coverage to him a lot of times. 9ers need to find ways to be able to use him more as a receiver.

Moving forward hopefully Aaron Banks and Jaylon Moore will be able to step in and help fortify the O-line (although I'm not holding my breath on that). Laken being a FA also looms large.

It would also be nice to see Elijah Mitchell improve on his pass protection as well. That is a big reason, why he didn't play on 3rd down too often.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#136 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 2, 2022 10:29 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:

I think Kittle's involvement in the passing game is largely predicated on how well (or poor) the O-line pass protects. Kittle is very, very good blocker and when the pass pro is struggling Kyle uses George to help out with that.

Kittle can be lethal as a receiver, so the more routes he runs the better obviously. Even if he doesn't get targeted Defenses are forced to roll coverage to him a lot of times. 9ers need to find ways to be able to use him more as a receiver.

Moving forward hopefully Aaron Banks and Jaylon Moore will be able to step in and help fortify the O-line (although I'm not holding my breath on that). Laken being a FA also looms large.

It would also be nice to see Elijah Mitchell improve on his pass protection as well. That is a big reason, why he didn't play on 3rd down too often.

Passing on Creed Humphrey to take Banks could become another Hurd-over-McLaurin moment for me. Though I felt a lot more strongly about McLaurin than I did Hurd.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#137 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 2:17 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/what-49ers-can-expect-receive-jimmy-garoppolo-trade

The bottom line is that the 49ers can be expected to receive at worst a second-round draft pick and, perhaps, another pick or two for Garoppolo to clear the way for Lance to take over as the starter this year.

While this is his opinion, rather than what he is hearing from team sources, Maiocco is pretty reputable. So he's probably not too far off in his assessment here.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#138 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 2:22 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Passing on Creed Humphrey to take Banks could become another Hurd-over-McLaurin moment for me. Though I felt a lot more strongly about McLaurin than I did Hurd.

Creed definitely filled a key role for a Final 4 team, whereas off the top of my head I don't think Banks even played a single offensive snap this season.

As for Hurd, while its unlikely, I wouldn't be shocked if they brought Jalen back in as a camp invite to see where his health is at.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#139 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Feb 5, 2022 12:10 pm

thesack12 wrote:
zman1 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:Probably have two super bowl wins if Jimmy G is not the QB
Like with beathard or Mullens or hover? Any qb would have been better?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Mullens is a better option, Gardner Minshew is a better option, Sam Darnold is a better option, Jameis Winston is a better option. Amazingly all of these were actually bandied about at one time.

Like you said insert any random QB, and they would surely be better options.

IMO Jameis is indeed better
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,701

Post#140 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Feb 5, 2022 6:30 pm

thesack12 wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/what-49ers-can-expect-receive-jimmy-garoppolo-trade

The bottom line is that the 49ers can be expected to receive at worst a second-round draft pick and, perhaps, another pick or two for Garoppolo to clear the way for Lance to take over as the starter this year.

While this is his opinion, rather than what he is hearing from team sources, Maiocco is pretty reputable. So he's probably not too far off in his assessment here.

I mean I've heard a lot of people speculate even a 1st and teams will be hot on his chase.

Proven winner, amazing attitude, fantastic teammate.

Some teams are going to walk out without a QB this offseason and pay for him. And the Niners could definitely use those picks for depth.

Return to San Francisco 49ers