Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: AND WITH THE THIRD PICK OF THE 2019 NFL DRAFT 

Post#141 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 11:10 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:High on Josh Allen

He hasn’t won me over yet. He looks too much like an OLB to me. No pass rush repertoire. Hands aren’t there yet either. He gets locked up and stoned by college TEs.

I saw the video of Allen's three sacks because such a big deal is being made of it. But in each case he went untouched. NFL lineman are not going to miss him like that. At least Kyle will get a good look at him at the Senior Bowl

first sack was a blown assignment
second sack was weak hold up by the guard but Allen threw a little stunt in there
third sack is what I want, he shot off the edge, beat his man.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#142 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 12:25 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

He hasn’t won me over yet. He looks too much like an OLB to me. No pass rush repertoire. Hands aren’t there yet either. He gets locked up and stoned by college TEs.

I saw the video of Allen's three sacks because such a big deal is being made of it. But in each case he went untouched. NFL lineman are not going to miss him like that. At least Kyle will get a good look at him at the Senior Bowl

second sack was weak hold up by the guard but Allen threw a little stunt in there

He did on the third one for sure. I just wonder how he will do against better NFL lineman. I am not down on him. I just wonder based on what Ray said above. I cringe at the Manny Lawson comparison above. He was a nice player but not much of a pass rusher and certainly not a #2 pick
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#143 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 2:35 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

He did on the third one for sure. I just wonder how he will do against better NFL lineman. I am not down on him. I just wonder based on what Ray said above. I cringe at the Manny Lawson comparison above. He was a nice player but not much of a pass rusher and certainly not a #2 pick

that Lawson comparison startled me for sure at #2 lol...

Still like Allen for us there if Bosa is out of the question. Allen has the pass rush moves and the quickness to go along with his speed, something of which we need from our DL. His added bonus is that he can be used in versatility in coverage.

If Saleh properly uses him in exotic looks throughout games where teams can't get accustom to, IMO I see a good opportunity there for us. If its not him directly, his push can force the QBs up and into Buckner's reach.

Also with experience he'll be able to chase down the quicker, swifty kind of QBs in today's NFL.
The ModFather

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND PICK OF THE 2019 NFL DRAFT 

Post#144 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 4, 2019 4:39 am

I was the one who made the Lawson comparison, and admittedly that was based on watching like two or three minutes of highlights - and those may have been from last season. Allen obviously deserves a closer look than that. He'll be at the Senior Bowl, and hopefully on the South squad. Though Kentucky is northerly enough that he may not be.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#145 » by NinerSickness » Fri Jan 4, 2019 5:54 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:I was the one who made the Lawson comparison, and admittedly that was based on watching like two or three minutes of highlights - and those may have been from last season. Allen obviously deserves a closer look than that. He'll be at the Senior Bowl, and hopefully on the South squad. Though Kentucky is northerly enough that he may not be.

Allen's gonna be a great pass rusher. He gets consistent pressure. But his pass-rush moves & brute strength aren't there (at least not yet).

Not as good as Bosa IMO. Bosa's a more complete prospect.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#146 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Jan 4, 2019 7:40 am

Allen strikes me as a SAM LB in our scheme.
Standing up and dropping into coverage, setting the edge in the run game and chipping in as a pass rusher. I haven’t seen him play as an every down hand on the ground defensive end. Maybe he did before this year?

The SAM hardly plays in our scheme.

He’s gonna need to show an array of pass rush moves as a defensive end during the Senior Bowl week in order to ease my concerns. If he doesn’t then he better have the elite speed rush with bend around the corner.

I say this because I’m absolutely dying for a dominant player at LEO who is an elite pass rusher. Not getting that guy at 2 will crush me.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#147 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 4, 2019 6:36 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I was the one who made the Lawson comparison, and admittedly that was based on watching like two or three minutes of highlights - and those may have been from last season. Allen obviously deserves a closer look than that. He'll be at the Senior Bowl, and hopefully on the South squad. Though Kentucky is northerly enough that he may not be.

Allen's gonna be a great pass rusher. He gets consistent pressure. But his pass-rush moves & brute strength aren't there (at least not yet).

Not as good as Bosa IMO. Bosa's a more complete prospect.

Wouldn't that be a concern with the talent level at the NFL level he would be playing against? Taking someone at No 2. that does not have pass rush moves and strength and hoping he develops them. Maybe I am just paranoid with some of our past draft picks that never panned out as pass rushers.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#148 » by arich35 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 2:42 am

I am kind of mad we aren't picking 6 to 10 because I would love Polite but I don't think he is worth a 2nd pick in the draft
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#149 » by CalamityX12 » Sun Jan 6, 2019 4:46 am

I would've love to have added Devin White from LSU too.... sigh
The ModFather

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#150 » by NinerSickness » Sun Jan 6, 2019 5:43 am

CalamityX12 wrote:I would've love to have added Devin White from LSU too.... sigh

My guy Christian Wilkins + Devin White is doable (maybe).
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#151 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jan 7, 2019 12:43 am

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#152 » by NinerSickness » Mon Jan 7, 2019 3:15 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

Best DT prospect he's rated in 5 years probably means the first-round DTs over that span weren't any good (they weren't).

His points about being one of the quickest NTs he's ever seen is a good one, and that's exactly what the Niners could use (a quick NT to take the pressure off the DEs).

That said, I still like Wilkins about as much as Q. Hoping the Cards take Q, so the Niners can choose between Bosa or a trade down.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#153 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:08 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:Allen strikes me as a SAM LB in our scheme.
Standing up and dropping into coverage, setting the edge in the run game and chipping in as a pass rusher. I haven’t seen him play as an every down hand on the ground defensive end. Maybe he did before this year?

The SAM hardly plays in our scheme.

He’s gonna need to show an array of pass rush moves as a defensive end during the Senior Bowl week in order to ease my concerns. If he doesn’t then he better have the elite speed rush with bend around the corner.

I say this because I’m absolutely dying for a dominant player at LEO who is an elite pass rusher. Not getting that guy at 2 will crush me.

2019 NFL draft: Kentucky EDGE Josh Allen may be too versatile for 49ers to pass on
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/06/2019-nfl-draft-kentucky-edge-josh-allen-may-be-too-versatile-for-49ers-to-pass-on/
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#154 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:20 am

Would you make this trade with the Jaguars for the 49ers’ first pick?
https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/1/6/18169269/2019-nfl-draft-trade-rumors-49ers-jaguars-nick-bosa
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#155 » by NinerSickness » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:29 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Would you make this trade with the Jaguars for the 49ers’ first pick?
https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/1/6/18169269/2019-nfl-draft-trade-rumors-49ers-jaguars-nick-bosa

If the Niners trade w/ the Jags, the trade better involve Jalen Ramsey.

Why is Jonah Williams getting so much hype? Dude might be one of the most overrated OLTs I've seen in years.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,361

Post#156 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 7:17 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

Best DT prospect he's rated in 5 years probably means the first-round DTs over that span weren't any good (they weren't).

His points about being one of the quickest NTs he's ever seen is a good one, and that's exactly what the Niners could use (a quick NT to take the pressure off the DEs).

That said, I still like Wilkins about as much as Q. Hoping the Cards take Q, so the Niners can choose between Bosa or a trade down.

Donald was chosen in 2014.

This guy would have to be a threat for double digit sacks every year, start8ng from his rookie year.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#157 » by NinerSickness » Mon Jan 7, 2019 7:26 am

wco81 wrote:Donald was chosen in 2014.

This guy would have to be a threat for double digit sacks every year, start8ng from his rookie year.

Yeah, I'm assuming by "Best DT in 5 years" he meant since Donald.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#159 » by Jikkle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Read on Twitter

That's just plain filthy.

I actually think the Cardinals will end up picking him unless they trade out of the pick.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#160 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:57 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's just plain filthy.

I actually think the Cardinals will end up picking him unless they trade out of the pick.

To me, that would be a better fit for their needs. Nkemdiche has upside, but hasn't really come close to establishing himself and will be coming off a late-season ACL tear. And Peters turns 31 this year.

I totally understand the desire for two elite edge rushers, but given a choice, I'd rather put two elite players next to each other at DT and DE, a la Justin and Aldon Smith in 2011 and 2012. It's really tough to block both guys in that situation.

Return to San Francisco 49ers