ImageImageImageImageImage

Jimmy G headed to SF

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 213

Re: Jimmy G headed to SF 

Post#161 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:56 pm

thesack12 wrote:Its not just impressive because Jimmy has led a 1 win team w/o him, to a 3 game winning streak (with 2 road wins.)
Its not just impressive because Jimmy is putting up elite caliber numbers.
Its not just impressive because Jimmy's top "weapons" are Marquise Goodwin, Trent Taylor, Garret Celek, and George Kittle.
Its not just impressive because Jimmy is playing at a high level with a crap interior O-line.

Whats the most impressive part is Jimmy is managing to do all the above after coming over to Frisco midseason and only having 2-3 weeks to learn the system and build chemistry and timing with his teammates.

And you can add to this list a mediocre at best running game for support
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#162 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:47 pm

He's going to end up signing a bigger deal than Matthew Stafford--watch!!!
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 268

Post#163 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:50 pm

thesack12 wrote:Its not just impressive because Jimmy has led a 1 win team w/o him, to a 3 game winning streak (with 2 road wins.)
Its not just impressive because Jimmy's top "weapons" are Marquise Goodwin, Trent Taylor, Garret Celek, and George Kittle.
Its not just impressive because Jimmy is playing at a high level with a crap interior O-line.

Whats the most impressive part is Jimmy is managing to do all the above after coming over to Frisco midseason and only having 2-3 weeks to learn the system and build chemistry and timing with his teammates.

You can expand the crap out to RT on oline as well. Massive drop off from Brown.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#164 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:He's going to end up signing a bigger deal than Matthew Stafford--watch!!!

I had a strong feeling about this. It has begun...!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751162-report-jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-to-talk-contract-could-be-given-franchise-tag?share=other
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 1,019

Post#165 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:23 pm

I was listening to some radio yesterday discussing whether to franchise or sign Garoppolo long-term. To me, it's a no-brainer that they should give him a long-term contract. Franchising him will only make him more expensive next year - potentially much more so. There are still some questions about him, of course, but he's answered most of the big ones in my view.

At this point, we know Garoppolo can get it done in this league in terms of relaying the plays, reading the defense, seeing the field, getting the ball out in a hurry, moving in the pocket, throwing under pressure, and throwing accurately. Given his lack of experience and limited time in the system and with the supporting players, he's shown many of those things to an impressive degree. There is certainly room for improvement in some areas, but I'm quite comfortable with what I've seen. The remaining questions are how he'll perform in the playoffs, how he'll fare when faced with adversity, etc. Those things are a bit harder to flesh out until he's actually done them, but based on what I've seen so far, I have no reason to doubt him in those areas. Unless his contract demands are absurd (i.e., highest paid player in the league), I think we'd be crazy not to try our damnedest to work out a deal that will keep him in SF for a good long time.

The best analogue for Garoppolo is probably Rodgers in 2008. In that year, Rodgers (who turned 25 during the season, so one year younger than Garoppolo is now) took over what had been a 13-3 team that retained its head coach, the entire offense, and had relatively little turnover on defense. He was extended seven games into a season in which the team would ultimately go 6-10. And they made him one of the highest paid players in the league. I'm not saying Garoppolo is going to be Rodgers, and that FO should have had a better sense of the person they were getting given their three years with him, but Garoppolo has very arguably been more deserving of an extension at this point than Rodgers was at that point, and I think we're probably looking in that contract range. I wouldn't hesitate to do that sort of a deal.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 282

Post#166 » by Jikkle » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:16 pm

When they made the trade for Jimmy G I would've put money on him almost certainly being franchised tag but now I'm more certain they get a huge long-term deal done.

They likely already had a lot of money earmarked to make a run at Cousins if he became available and I think now they'll just take the money and work out a deal with Garoppolo.

It's a gamble to give him a huge deal but it's a gamble worth taking because if you wait that price tag more likely to get bigger than smaller.

Also it tends to fly under the radar but there is that business side of things that a long-term contract would benefit as well. Jimmy G has a ton of hype behind him right now and it's easier to sell tickets and merchandise when you give the consumer confidence in what they are investing in is going to be around for 4-5 years at least. You're more likely to buy those season tickets or that Garoppolo jersey when you know for sure he's going to be around compared to there being a chance he's not after next year.

So I think the 9ers will rationalize that it's the cheapest to sign him now and that by signing him now they can confidently market him as the face and long-term future of the franchise.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#167 » by NinerSickness » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:24 pm

Name a QB you'd rather have than Jimmy G right now.

Brady / Brees / Roethlisberger / Rivers... not long for this league.

Matt Ryan & Cam Newton are overrated frauds. Cousins? Carr? Nope.

Wentz? Let's see if he doesn't turn into the next Carson Palmer...

Rodgers? Always hurt, lately.

Mitch? Yet to be determined.

Maaaaaybe Russell Wilson? Goff?

The future of the NFL is in the NFC West. 8-)
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#168 » by Jikkle » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Name a QB you'd rather have than Jimmy G right now.

I can pretty much agree to this. If you're talking more on a short-term basis I'd take Rodgers over him but more on a long-term the only guy I'd maybe consider is Wentz but I'd still take Jimmy G over him especially paired with Shanahan.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,782

Post#169 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:24 am

Well they don't have to worry about selling tickets because those PSLs made it obligatory to buy season tickets.

But presumably the no-shows will decrease and tickets on the secondary market will become more expensive, especially if they get off to a good start next year.

Then Jed will raise season ticket prices on those poor suckers who bought PSLs (or SBLs as the 49ers call them).
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#170 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:51 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:I was listening to some radio yesterday discussing whether to franchise or sign Garoppolo long-term. To me, it's a no-brainer that they should give him a long-term contract. Franchising him will only make him more expensive next year - potentially much more so. There are still some questions about him, of course, but he's answered most of the big ones in my view.

At this point, we know Garoppolo can get it done in this league in terms of relaying the plays, reading the defense, seeing the field, getting the ball out in a hurry, moving in the pocket, throwing under pressure, and throwing accurately. Given his lack of experience and limited time in the system and with the supporting players, he's shown many of those things to an impressive degree. There is certainly room for improvement in some areas, but I'm quite comfortable with what I've seen. The remaining questions are how he'll perform in the playoffs, how he'll fare when faced with adversity, etc. Those things are a bit harder to flesh out until he's actually done them, but based on what I've seen so far, I have no reason to doubt him in those areas. Unless his contract demands are absurd (i.e., highest paid player in the league), I think we'd be crazy not to try our damnedest to work out a deal that will keep him in SF for a good long time.

The best analogue for Garoppolo is probably Rodgers in 2008. In that year, Rodgers (who turned 25 during the season, so one year younger than Garoppolo is now) took over what had been a 13-3 team that retained its head coach, the entire offense, and had relatively little turnover on defense. He was extended seven games into a season in which the team would ultimately go 6-10. And they made him one of the highest paid players in the league. I'm not saying Garoppolo is going to be Rodgers, and that FO should have had a better sense of the person they were getting given their three years with him, but Garoppolo has very arguably been more deserving of an extension at this point than Rodgers was at that point, and I think we're probably looking in that contract range. I wouldn't hesitate to do that sort of a deal.

Great feedback Crims! I have to agree with 98% of everything you’ve covered above with the exception of “over paying” for him. At this point he has all of the leverage. I think he’s going to end up being the highest paid or the second highest paid player in the league when it’s all said and done with this offseason. Though that’ll be seen by most outlets as a desperate move by us, I disagree with you in that a contract such as that would be an “absurd” type situation for us. Guys like Goff and Wentz and Watson are going to tremendously raise the market for the QB position. When that time comes we’ll look at Stafford and Jimmy G’s deals as “okay deals” (for QB standard) at best. It’ll be a cost saving move for us I think if we somewhat overpay him now.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 829

Post#171 » by arich35 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:13 am

I honestly don't give a **** what we pay him as long as we have some money to build around him. There is no other player on this team that we really need to pay within the next 2-3 years I would say, Buckner would be the closest I would think. We need another franchise QB and Jimmy is the closest I have seen since watching Steve Young go down with a concussion against the Cardinals (the last memory I have of watching Young). I think he will end up getting Stafford money, I just hope we work the contract is worked in some way that we can afford FA
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#172 » by NinerSickness » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:36 am

Jimmy G VS Jared Goff: Whom would you rather have? I'm thinking Jimmy.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 268

Post#173 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:29 am

NinerSickness wrote:Jimmy G VS Jared Goff: Whom would you rather have? I'm thinking Jimmy.

Jimmy. His throw on the run ability is nice.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#174 » by NinerSickness » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:38 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Jimmy G VS Jared Goff: Whom would you rather have? I'm thinking Jimmy.

I'd have to agree. The only guy in the entire league (Wentz, Rodgers & Luck notwithstanding because of health issues) who probably has more value right now is Russell Wilson.

...Trubisky yet to be determined.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#175 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:02 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Name a QB you'd rather have than Jimmy G right now.

Nit picking here... IDK if i'll say Newton is a fraud but Carr is absolutely a fraud, not worth that money.

Wentz is going to be great, he's up there as a keeper.

Jimmy G for the win!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#176 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:04 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

I'd have to agree. The only guy in the entire league (Wentz, Rodgers & Luck notwithstanding because of health issues) who probably has more value right now is Russell Wilson.

...Trubisky yet to be determined.

lol

ah man, i wish you can add " ...Trubisky yet to be determined." as as signature for you :lol:
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,417

Post#177 » by thesack12 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

And you can add to this list a mediocre at best running game for support

True, the ground game does leave some to be desired.

If the ground game gets solidified and a legit weapon or two gets added, Jimmy G's play action could be lethal.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,417

Post#178 » by thesack12 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:

You can expand the crap out to RT on oline as well. Massive drop off from Brown.

Yessir you're right, I posted that prior to hearing about Brown being lost for the season.

Can now also add Jimmy G has led the team to a 4 game win streak, the most recent coming against the best defense in the league.

Dude is simply amazing. Jimmy is doing all this without anybody on the offensive side of the ball that are legit building blocks.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#179 » by Jikkle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Jimmy easily because I do think he has a chance to be special whereas Goff I think will be in that good QB but one that you wouldn't consider special.

In fact when the dust settles I think Jimmy G will be the best QB in the NFC West.

I've always thought Wilson as being a bit overrated and getting too much of a pass due to having a bad offensive line and him being able to pull off multiple highlight reel kind of big plays. But I consider him extremely special scrambler but just above average pocket QB. He's had plenty of games that have been duds and those are usually the games where the defensive line is disciplined and keeps him from moving to where he wants to move.

You never say "Wilson is carving up the defense with surgical precision" but you usually say "How did Wilson escape and make that play?"
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#180 » by Jikkle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Return to San Francisco 49ers