LOOMING EXTENSIONS

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

JPurthe1
Freshman
And1: 3

Re: LOOMING EXTENSIONS 

Post#21 » by JPurthe1 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 3:37 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Stevie Johnson is only 28, and he's signed through 2016. He can fill in for Crabtree just fine.

The Niners are devoting about an average of like 6 million for Boldin, Crabby, Stevie & Vernon each this year; they're devoting less than 2 million per starting CB. If they sign a big FA it needs to be a CB or a DL to replace Ray / JSmith. Big money for Crabtree would be monumentally stupid.

Or at the very least, if they do sign a WR, he should be a deep threat; the Niners have plenty of possession guys.

Is Suh the big FA at DL? a 34 DE I think it works and really valued BECAUSE Fangio's defenses relies on 4 man pressures, more than anything... it sucks cuz he hardly opens up the blitzes, even when they work! any hoot, Suh... that's a name to look at...Suh at one end, Aldon at the other.... :o

I would love Suh and Aldon but Suh is going to a real big market. NY is the speculation and I agree with it. He is all about branding his name.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#22 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 3:38 pm

JPurthe1 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Stevie Johnson is only 28, and he's signed through 2016. He can fill in for Crabtree just fine.

The Niners are devoting about an average of like 6 million for Boldin, Crabby, Stevie & Vernon each this year; they're devoting less than 2 million per starting CB. If they sign a big FA it needs to be a CB or a DL to replace Ray / JSmith. Big money for Crabtree would be monumentally stupid.

Or at the very least, if they do sign a WR, he should be a deep threat; the Niners have plenty of possession guys.

Is Suh the big FA at DL? a 34 DE I think it works and really valued BECAUSE Fangio's defenses relies on 4 man pressures, more than anything... it sucks cuz he hardly opens up the blitzes, even when they work! any hoot, Suh... that's a name to look at...Suh at one end, Aldon at the other.... :o

I would love Suh and Aldon but Suh is going to a real big market. NY is the speculation and I agree with it. He is all about branding his name.

damn, didn't see that coming....

Jets or Giants?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
JPurthe1
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#23 » by JPurthe1 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 3:46 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:
JPurthe1 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:Is Suh the big FA at DL? a 34 DE I think it works and really valued BECAUSE Fangio's defenses relies on 4 man pressures, more than anything... it sucks cuz he hardly opens up the blitzes, even when they work! any hoot, Suh... that's a name to look at...Suh at one end, Aldon at the other.... :o

Jets or Giants?

If I could guess, I would think Giants. The only reason being that the Jets DL is phenomenal and by adding Suh it would be unfair. :(

Plus too much money tied up on the DL line.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#24 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 4:12 pm

JPurthe1 wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:
JPurthe1 wrote:

Jets or Giants?

If I could guess, I would think Giants. The only reason being that the Jets DL is phenomenal and by adding Suh it would be unfair. :(

Plus too much money tied up on the DL line.

Yea I thought Giants as well...

Wilkerson is someone i'd like in our team...
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#25 » by NinerSickness » Fri Oct 3, 2014 10:26 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Is Suh the big FA at DL? a 34 DE I think it works and really valued BECAUSE Fangio's defenses relies on 4 man pressures, more than anything... it sucks cuz he hardly opens up the blitzes, even when they work! any hoot, Suh... that's a name to look at...Suh at one end, Aldon at the other.... :o

I never understood the hubbub around him as a FA because I always assumed he'd get the exclusive-rights tag. Maybe he has a clause saying he can't be tagged?

If Suh were an URFA then it'd be a no-brainer to go after him IMO. And he's kind of an @zzhole, so he'd fit right in w/ the Niners' defense. :D A guy like that can instantly change the entire team.

That said, it's not Baalke's style (unfortunately) to make a move like that or else he would've signed a big FA or 2 the last couple of years.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#26 » by 49er4life1979 » Sat Oct 4, 2014 4:03 am

imac_21 wrote:Iupati can kick rocks. Next year Brandon Thomas can start at LG. Aldon has to be the top priority for an extension, with a lot of character clauses of course. Second should be Crabtree.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to extend Cox. There's some random loophole that came up a couple years ago. We signed a veteran FA for $1 over the league minimum to maintain the right to sign him to an extension before he became a FA. Is Cox making league minimum this year? If he is, we can't extend him until FA starts.

Cox is definitely someone they should extend ASAP before he gets too expensive.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by 49er4life1979 » Sat Oct 4, 2014 4:05 am

DoobieKeebler wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:I wouldn't even be ok with an incentive-laden deal for Crabby. He brings nothing to the offense that Stevie Johnson doesn't bring, and he's not going to sign a deal w/ incentives unless there's a really good chance he's going to achieve those incentives.

What about all the talk of Stevie's routes being "weird?" I know you started the "DumbDumb" train, so would Baalke be making a right move to drop Crab for a player with whom Colin has no rapport?

I'm hoping the reports of any inconsistency are temporary matters. Johnson did well under Fitzpatrick, but Colin didn't go to Harvard.

Stevie did look pretty good at Arizona, had 100 yards + receiving and scored a nice TD against the Eagles. It seems like he and CK are finally starting to click. But no way would I take him over Crab!
imac_21
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#28 » by imac_21 » Sat Oct 4, 2014 6:38 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
DoobieKeebler wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:I wouldn't even be ok with an incentive-laden deal for Crabby. He brings nothing to the offense that Stevie Johnson doesn't bring, and he's not going to sign a deal w/ incentives unless there's a really good chance he's going to achieve those incentives.

What about all the talk of Stevie's routes being "weird?" I know you started the "DumbDumb" train, so would Baalke be making a right move to drop Crab for a player with whom Colin has no rapport?

I'm hoping the reports of any inconsistency are temporary matters. Johnson did well under Fitzpatrick, but Colin didn't go to Harvard.

Stevie did look pretty good at Arizona, had 100 yards + receiving and scored a nice TD against the Eagles. It seems like he and CK are finally starting to click. But no way would I take him over Crab!

Sick just has a special hate in his heart for Crabtree because he thought Darius Heyward-Bey was a much better receiver.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by NinerSickness » Sat Oct 4, 2014 7:03 pm

imac_21 wrote:Sick just has a special hate in his heart for Crabtree because he thought Darius Heyward-Bey was a much better receiver.

Actually, it's because I thought Brian Orakpo was the best player on the board. And I didn't have a "Crab-Tree" avatar for years because I hate the guy. Not wanting to re-sign someone does not equal hating him. I didn't hate Kevan Barlow or Ahmed Plummer either, but I was adamant (as were you) that the Niners shouldn't re-sign them. I didn't want Aubrayo Franklin back either when he was a FA.

The 2015 Niners have 6 million or so devoted to Boldin and 6 million or so devoted to Stevie . They don't need to throw a 10 million dollar contract on top of those when there's a ton of WR talent in the draft & the team has completely neglected the CB position for years; not to mention the fact that RayMac's contract is up after 2015, and his future is uncertain anyway (plus JSmith can't play forever).

There's no reason to sign a 50 million dollar contract in order to keep 3 possession WRs instead of having 2 of them.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#30 » by Jikkle » Sat Oct 4, 2014 7:49 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Iupati has not looked very impressive this season so far, and I dont think he was great last year either, good but not great. I'd rather keep Boone.

Iupati had really good game against the Bears when Staley was playing like crap (usually if one looks bad the other does too). He was bad against Dallas. I didn't really pay too much attention to his play against the Cards, but how did he play against the Eagles?

Found this on PFF concerning how Iupati has done thus far this season.

Mike Iupati – has posted a healthy +6.8 run grade (second-place among guards) but a less than stout -3.9 in pass protection (65th place).

Just seems so weird for there to be such a huge gap between his run blocking and pass blocking.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#31 » by 49er4life1979 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 11:52 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
imac_21 wrote:Sick just has a special hate in his heart for Crabtree because he thought Darius Heyward-Bey was a much better receiver.

Actually, it's because I thought Brian Orakpo was the best player on the board. And I didn't have a "Crab-Tree" avatar for years because I hate the guy. Not wanting to re-sign someone does not equal hating him. I didn't hate Kevan Barlow or Ahmed Plummer either, but I was adamant (as were you) that the Niners shouldn't re-sign them. I didn't want Aubrayo Franklin back either when he was a FA.

The 2015 Niners have 6 million or so devoted to Boldin and 6 million or so devoted to Stevie . They don't need to throw a 10 million dollar contract on top of those when there's a ton of WR talent in the draft & the team has completely neglected the CB position for years; not to mention the fact that RayMac's contract is up after 2015, and his future is uncertain anyway (plus JSmith can't play forever).

There's no reason to sign a 50 million dollar contract in order to keep 3 possession WRs instead of having 2 of them.

Apparently Terry Donahue thought it was wise to sign them both lol. What a train wreck of a GM he was. Good thing Nolan ran those two out ASAP and rightfully so.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by NinerSickness » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:45 pm

Nobody tell imac, but I'm starting to come over to his side of the Iupati issue. I would still LOVE to keep the guy, and I think he's one of the most important players on offense; but with the way Culliver has been playing, I don't think the Niners can afford to keep both of 'em now.

The Niners were talking extension w/ Culliver before his arrest, and now Culliver's stock is much higher. I was hoping they'd make Culliver the #2 priority in the offseason, but they didn't get an extension done. :(

Culliver's the kind of tough CB the Niners are gonna need w/ their nasty pass rush over the next few years IMO. I think Dontae Johnson may join him in the starting lineup next year. That's a couple of tough, hard-hitting CBs w/ some speed.

It's starting to look to me like the best strategy is to let Iupati walk & keep up the great drafting w/ more compensatory picks and save the money for the future. There will be a lot of players the Niners will need to extend like Vernon, Reid and so on.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#33 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:09 am

On Suh. There's been a number of reporters who have supposedly talked to people "in Suh's camp" and they don't think he wants "to go to a team long-term that puts him in a lot of 3-4 looks."
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by 49er4life1979 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:39 am

NinerSickness wrote:Nobody tell imac, but I'm starting to come over to his side of the Iupati issue. I would still LOVE to keep the guy, and I think he's one of the most important players on offense; but with the way Culliver has been playing, I don't think the Niners can afford to keep both of 'em now.

The Niners were talking extension w/ Culliver before his arrest, and now Culliver's stock is much higher. I was hoping they'd make Culliver the #2 priority in the offseason, but they didn't get an extension done. :(

Culliver's the kind of tough CB the Niners are gonna need w/ their nasty pass rush over the next few years IMO. I think Dontae Johnson may join him in the starting lineup next year. That's a couple of tough, hard-hitting CBs w/ some speed.

It's starting to look to me like the best strategy is to let Iupati walk & keep up the great drafting w/ more compensatory picks and save the money for the future. There will be a lot of players the Niners will need to extend like Vernon, Reid and so on.

Vernon possibly. Reid we still have for 2 more seasons and then we have the option of exercising 5th year option. I am not worried about him.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by NinerSickness » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:10 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Vernon possibly. Reid we still have for 2 more seasons and then we have the option of exercising 5th year option. I am not worried about him.

Yes, but 2016's cap is already getting pretty full, and if Iupati is taking up 8 or 9 million every year and Aldon is taking up a ton, it's going to be really hard to re-sign guys like Culliver, Vernon, McDonald & even Carradine if he pans out like I think he will. Especially when Kaeperick's contract gets to the bigger part.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love Baalke to fit 'em all in, and I hope he finds a way. But I don't know if that's realistic. At least one or two of those guys are gonna have to go IMO.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#36 » by Jikkle » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Two guys in Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin can fill Iupati's shoes so he's just not worth the 8 million+ he's going to command. There are just more important and less expendable pieces that need to be extended over Iupati.

At this stage I would let Crabtree walk as well. The roster is overflowing with possession receivers and I would much rather take a huge swing in the draft and trade up to grab top tier WRs in the draft than tie up money with Crabtree.

The recipe for sustained success in the NFL is to have an elite QB and to draft well enough where you can let guys walk when they hit FA aside from those really special players.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by NinerSickness » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:04 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
Cox is definitely someone they should extend ASAP before he gets too expensive.

Too late. :(

Always liked that guy since he was ballin' against AJ Green in college.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:06 am

NinerSickness wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Vernon possibly. Reid we still have for 2 more seasons and then we have the option of exercising 5th year option. I am not worried about him.

Yes, but 2016's cap is already getting pretty full, and if Iupati is taking up 8 or 9 million every year and Aldon is taking up a ton, it's going to be really hard to re-sign guys like Culliver, Vernon, McDonald & even Carradine if he pans out like I think he will. Especially when Kaeperick's contract gets to the bigger part.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love Baalke to fit 'em all in, and I hope he finds a way. But I don't know if that's realistic. At least one or two of those guys are gonna have to go IMO.

The cap is expected to go up if I am not mistaken. And I dont see Iupati returning for 8 or 9 mil a season. Not unless he signs for a hometown discount.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by NinerSickness » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:25 am

Man I'm pissed there's no tag number for guards. They could just tag Iupati if he wouldn't get left tackle money. :banghead:
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#40 » by Jikkle » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:56 pm

Return to San Francisco 49ers