ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Offseason & Training Camp

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: tOfficial 2018 Offseason Thread (not too early) 

Post#21 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Oct 3, 2017 9:34 pm

Darnold opting in would throw a little wrench into the Qb class... that would be one less option to have thus minimizing the franchise QB opportunity.

if we're being honest, not a knee jerk but I'm glad and not surprised by Watson's play. While I wasn't sure to make of his mechanics but his IQ, leadership and play weren't questionable IMO.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#22 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Oct 3, 2017 11:09 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:if we're being honest, not a knee jerk but I'm glad and not surprised by Watson's play. While I wasn't sure to make of his mechanics but his IQ, leadership and play weren't questionable IMO.

I agree. A lot of us liked him. I think Ray even mentioned that we should utterly disregard as an option at #2. The only issue I had with him is that he struggles with accuracy and reading defenses (not half a field but the entire field). His coaches are doing a spectacular job in trying their best to simplify things for him, and they're also implementing some plays from the Clemson playoff in their current system. Just to give him some familiarity. This is making his transition to the NFL much better. Seeing all this makes me sort of have an open mind in considering Lamar Jackson as a real option for us. Shanahan is frightened of him though due to his RGIII experience, not the type of QB he wants to run his system.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#23 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Oct 8, 2017 1:53 pm

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#24 » by NinerSickness » Sun Oct 8, 2017 6:30 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:I know it's way too early to be taking any rumors seriously, but the word is that Darnold is looking to stay in school another year.

That'd be a good decision. I've been doubtful of him from the beginning, although he has some impressive flashes.

I actually started to like Baker Mayfield more than him this offseason. He's really cleaned up the questionable stuff I saw in his 2015 play.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#25 » by Jikkle » Sun Oct 8, 2017 9:06 pm

The 0-5 club is now the Giants, Browns, and 9ers.

Giants vs 9ers might be our Super Bowl but I tend to think Giants will win a few this season to move out of the top 2.

Jets with 3 wins might've played themselves out of position for getting one of the top 2 picks.

Bears are in the mix but they definitely won't go QB. Though if they do get a top 2 pick they are a serious threat to trading the pick to someone that does want a QB.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,384

Post#26 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 11:49 pm

I'd root for Trubitsky and Kizer to show a lot of improvement by the end of the season, so that their teams won't look for QB.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#27 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Oct 9, 2017 3:32 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:if we're being honest, not a knee jerk but I'm glad and not surprised by Watson's play. While I wasn't sure to make of his mechanics but his IQ, leadership and play weren't questionable IMO.

I agree. A lot of us liked him. I think Ray even mentioned that we should utterly disregard as an option at #2. The only issue I had with him is that he struggles with accuracy and reading defenses (not half a field but the entire field). His coaches are doing a spectacular job in trying their best to simplify things for him, and they're also implementing some plays from the Clemson playoff in their current system. Just to give him some familiarity. This is making his transition to the NFL much better. Seeing all this makes me sort of have an open mind in considering Lamar Jackson as a real option for us. Shanahan is frightened of him though due to his RGIII experience, not the type of QB he wants to run his system.

Watson was my #1 rated QB and was one of the guys I would have been in favor of drafting at #2. Fournette, Foster, Davis, Barnett and Lattimore and Williams. Just some of the guys that I liked. All above Thomas.
JMedlock5186
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#28 » by JMedlock5186 » Mon Oct 9, 2017 10:06 am

Yeah Watson was my number 1 rated player for us as well.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#29 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Oct 9, 2017 3:16 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

Watson was my #1 rated QB and was one of the guys I would have been in favor of drafting at #2. Fournette, Foster, Davis, Barnett and Lattimore and Williams. Just some of the guys that I liked. All above Thomas.

I’m just now going back and reading my post above? My freaking phone is a mess when using it to make a post in this forum. “Utterly disregard”??? The phone literally changed my entire sentence. I was saying, Ray even mentioned that we should seriously consider him as an option with our #2 pick”. I hate using my phone on message boards. Here’s another typo I just found: “Clemson playoff”. That should be, Clemson’s playbook.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#30 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 9, 2017 4:06 pm

wco81 wrote:I'd root for Trubitsky and Kizer to show a lot of improvement by the end of the season, so that their teams won't look for QB.

One season is not enough for the Bears to give up on Trubisky regardless of how he plays. Plus, Chicago traded up a lot to get Trubisky. Drafting a QB with a high pick would be admitting they made a big mistake last year which they are not going to do.
wco81
RealGM

Post#31 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:28 pm

OK, the way the season is going, they're going to need a LOT more than help from the draft.

They better use some of that cap space. I don't think there is a big name CB hitting UFA after this season or an edge rusher. But man, if they'd signed someone like Bouye last offseason.

Or if pass rushers in their mid 20s like Bennet or Avril hit free agency, they better pounce.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:25 pm

wco81 wrote:OK, the way the season is going, they're going to need a LOT more than help from the draft.

They better use some of that cap space. I don't think there is a big name CB hitting UFA after this season or an edge rusher. But man, if they'd signed someone like Bouye last offseason.

Or if pass rushers in their mid 20s like Bennet or Avril hit free agency, they better pounce.

Avril is damaged goods but yes they have to spend that money. Cousins, Brees, Garoppolo. Get a QB for sure.
wco81
RealGM

Post#33 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:58 pm

Avril and Bennett are old now but they hit free agency in their mid 20s and the Seahawks signed them for cheap.

Avril was a top 10 pick who had good years at Detroit but they had Ansah and other young pass rushers on the team.

It's probably impossible to get pass rushers who show any kind of promise looking for their second contracts on the cheap now. Olivier Vernon commanded crazy money because of his age more than actual production.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#34 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:58 pm

wco81 wrote:OK, the way the season is going, they're going to need a LOT more than help from the draft.

Avril is done and Bennett is on the wrong side of 30. One name I've heard pop up is Shaquil Griffin from the Broncos. He is buried behind Von Miller but he could be a pretty good pass rusher.

This upcoming draft is huge. They have 5 picks in the first three rounds and they will mostly be high round picks. They need to draft well. If Lynch/Shanny blow this draft, we may see this team flounder for many more years.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#35 » by NinerSickness » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:11 am

This thread just got

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#36 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:56 am

Now I have Barkley in my lead for first pick however, I was more involved in QBs this year I practically didn't honed in on other guys...

now I have to do my own damn weak ass research!

to the google!!!!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 am

Well we got one of the three upcoming free agent QBs I wanted and have the rest of the season to determine if we still need to hunt for one. Too bad our oline is shot.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:27 am

arich35
General Manager
And1: 821

Post#39 » by arich35 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:33 am

Whoever is the best WR/CB in the draft that is probably who I am going with unless there is a stud OL on the board
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:40 am

I don't see a WR working his way up to that high of a slot right now but never say never. Once those 40s fly you never know. Thankfully there could be some good ones in free agency.

Return to San Francisco 49ers