ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 QB Options

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,253

Re: 2021 QB Options 

Post#21 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 5, 2021 3:29 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:The team doesn't seem to prize CBs, so I can't see them taking one in the first. A lot will depend on FA. If we lose either T. Williams or Verrett, or both, that will strongly inform our decisions going forward. I don't think the FO is ready to move on from McGlinchey just yet, though the dude needs to have the best damn offseason in the history of the league to justify retaining his starting RT spot without a challenge. Couldn't help but notice on the fumble that basically ended the game yesterday, even though his guy wasn't credited with the play, McGlinchey was arguably beaten even worse than Skule.

Yeah it does seem like the current regime hasn't prioritized CB's, especially in the draft. That said, I don't think they are going to have much of a choice this year. 7 of the 8 CB's on the roster are unrestricted free agents, and Moseley is a restricted free agent. They also have precious little money to sign free agents at the position. It appears that there are a handful of quality CB prospects at the top of this draft, so BPA @ 12 could very well be a CB anyways. Its also well within possibility that they have to double dip on CB's in this draft. One more thing worth mentioning is that its very likely that Saleh is on his way out, so whomever the new DC is might have a different philosophy on positional value. Regardless the situation, 9ers will need to bring in several CB's.

I agree that OL needs to be prioritized as well. However, assuming Williams is brought back, I think they currently have enough at OL to where they can address competition for McGrinch and overall depth later on in the draft. I'm not a fan of McGlinchey either, but unless they bring in a lefty QB like trading for Tua or something, RT isn't a paramount concern relative to comparing it to the CB situation. Hopefully Richburg will finally return, which should help fortify the OL overall as well. Now if Williams departs, all bets are off and OT becomes a massive need.

To conclude, I do believe that CB and OL are currently the biggest needs/concerns for this team. In this particular draft, early on it appears that those positions could end up being BPA options @ #12. In an ideal world, BPA lines up with your biggest needs. We'll see if it transpires that way.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#22 » by Jikkle » Tue Jan 5, 2021 7:37 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:The team doesn't seem to prize CBs, so I can't see them taking one in the first. A lot will depend on FA. If we lose either T. Williams or Verrett, or both, that will strongly inform our decisions going forward. I don't think the FO is ready to move on from McGlinchey just yet, though the dude needs to have the best damn offseason in the history of the league to justify retaining his starting RT spot without a challenge. Couldn't help but notice on the fumble that basically ended the game yesterday, even though his guy wasn't credited with the play, McGlinchey was arguably beaten even worse than Skule.

I don't know if it's a case of if they don't prize them but just prize the front more.

If QB isn't on their radar and Williams resigns I think they go CB or pass rusher and between the two I'd say it depends on whose available.

Just looking at the roster it's really the only two positions that they could realistically take at 12. TE, WR, RB are pretty much set at least on the top end. Interior offensive line is a dire need but you're probably not taking that at 12 and that will be something we'll see probably around the 3rd round.

Unless Armstead is cut you're not taking interior DL, Safety isn't a dire need and 12 is probably too high to take one anyhow.

So that leaves CB and pass rush as the only two spots that are needs and would make sense to take at 12.

McGlinchey needs to definitely get better and despite what Shananhan and McGlinchey say to the media they are both very aware of that fact.

The problem is that Center and RG are desperate needs as well and it'd be tough to replace 3 offensive lineman in one offseason. At least with McGlinchey there is some measure of hope he can get better and he's at least still on a rookie deal but with C and RG especially there is basically nothing there. Center maybe Richburg comes back but you for sure need a backup plan for him.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#23 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:17 pm

I think the 2 most realistic options are:

Trading 2nd round pick and 2022 2nd for Stafford and selecting a QB in the middle rounds of the 2021 Draft. Bring back one of Rosen/Mullens. Bring in Stafford, he's The Guy for the next 3-4 years. This scenario probably means they trade Garoppolo for mid round value when the league year starts in March, or possibly straight up release him if there isn't much interest. His value has to be at its lowest point right now.

Keep Garoppolo, draft a QB with one of their first 2 picks, and Rosen/vet backup type. This is basically Garoppolo for 1 season, betting on him staying healthy, and having a similar season to 2019 which brings solid trade value in 2022. If none of those happen, he'll be released to pave way for a 2nd year QB. 1st rd: 3-6 range for Wilson is an option, possible that Lance falls to them at 12 or minor trade up for him. (I think Fields will be going to the Jets at 2). 2nd rd: This is probably Jones/Ridder range if they rate those guys highly.

Not in order, but if I were to bet, they are more likely to go with the 2nd option. Should be an interesting offseason.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#24 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 6, 2021 11:03 pm

One thing to consider. I know they can get out of Garoppolo's contract this year with little or no ding. Can they do that next year as well? Typically, the team get-out clauses aren't every year.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#25 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:31 pm

Bald Bull wrote:
Dodub wrote:
Bald Bull wrote:I don't get the "no rookie, cause our window is now" idea. don't you think drafting a franchise QB extends our window considerably? the teams with the best QBs are playoff contenders every year.

It’s hard to rely on a rookie QB to take you to the promised land. Shoot even a second year QB. Our roster has expiring contracts and a few aging players. If we’re smart we can win now AND include the success into the next decade.

Yes but most rookie QBs are playing on god awful teams, we are in position to bring in a young QB on a team that already has a bunch of weapons (kittle, aiyuk, deebo, juice, mostert, wilson possibly bring back reed), we are in a perfect situation to bring in a young QB IMO.
Bald Bull wrote:I don't get the "no rookie, cause our window is now" idea. don't you think drafting a franchise QB extends our window considerably? the teams with the best QBs are playoff contenders every year.

I don't think getting a rookie now is the issue. I think the issue is drafting and starting a rookie and dumping Jimmy G and expecting that rookie to take the 49ers to a super bowl. That is expecting a lot for a rookie. Shanahan is not going to abandon his offense for a rookie and it is asking alot for a rookie to come out of college and be ready to execute Shanahan's offense on day 1. Some Qbs have success early on in the NFL but many don't. I think most people who want a draft a rookie QB think the best idea is for that QB to sit and learn for a season or two first
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#26 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:36 pm

After reading Matt Maiocco's story last week about Jimmy G I am inclined to believe the 49ers most probably will have Jimmy G starting next year at QB. Matty M seems to have a good relationship with the 49ers organization over the years and reports what the FO is thinking. He was even called a schill for the org at one point. Matty M reported that 49ers brass do not view the current QB free agent class as a real upgrade over Jimmy G and therefore will some sort of deal is possible it is not likely to happen. They are looking to upgrade the backup position whatever that entails
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#27 » by GS Warriors 1 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 9:01 pm

Trubisky, Dalton, and Fitzpatrick are not upgrades over Garoppolo. We can definitely get that out of the way.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#28 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:32 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:One thing to consider. I know they can get out of Garoppolo's contract this year with little or no ding. Can they do that next year as well? Typically, the team get-out clauses aren't every year.

According to Spotrac:

Trading/Releasing Jimmy in 2021 would create a dead cap hit of $2.8 mil while providing $23.4 mil in cap savings
Trading/Releasing Jimmy in 2022 would create a dead cap hit of $1.4 mil while providing $25.6 mil in cap savings
Jimmy is scheduled to be a unrestricted free agent in 2023

If Spotrac is accurate, 49ers can delay the ultimate decision on Jimmy for another year should they choose to do so.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#29 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:16 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Trubisky, Dalton, and Fitzpatrick are not upgrades over Garoppolo. We can definitely get that out of the way.

I could see Fitzpatrick as a good backup option if you are competing for a SB. Wouldn't want him starting a whole season but he has shown he can play really well for a few games of the starter gets injured
tallglassowater
Junior
And1: 22

Post#30 » by tallglassowater » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:30 pm

Whats everyones thoughts on Rodgers? I know they would have to trade for him but it looks like everyone thinks he wants out of Green Bay. I haven't really followed much of any football this year so I have no idea what's going on really. Just got a text from my friend after the game with a picture of Rodgers in a Niners uniform.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#31 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:24 pm

tallglassowater wrote:Whats everyones thoughts on Rodgers? I know they would have to trade for him but it looks like everyone thinks he wants out of Green Bay. I haven't really followed much of any football this year so I have no idea what's going on really. Just got a text from my friend after the game with a picture of Rodgers in a Niners uniform.

In that postgame presser, I think Rodgers was just kind of shellshocked and wasn't operating with full mental clarity in that moment. Which lead to those interesting statements he made regarding his future. Or there is always the chance that Rodgers knew exactly what he was doing and was sending a calculated message to the franchise that he's not happy. Either way, I think its very likely he's staying put.

Then again, perhaps that scar of them taking Jordan Love in the 1st round still hasn't healed. To him its a double smack in the face, in that they didn't use the pick to help improve the team and obviously it would seem to show that they have an expiration date in mind for Rodgers as a Packer.

If 49ers are in the market to trade for a veteran QB, Rodgers would obviously be the ideal catch. But man, that cap # of almost $40 million for the next couple seasons is tough to fit in.

Perhaps Green Bay shocks the world and just releases Rodgers due to not being able to trade him cap wise, like Colts did with Peyton. Still, not sure how interested Aaron would be in signing with the 49ers as he might still hold that Alex Smith grudge.
TheBlackCzar
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#32 » by TheBlackCzar » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:52 am

Dodub wrote:
TheBlackCzar wrote:
Dodub wrote:
Honestly, I don’t care about MVP’s. I want to win the Super Bowl. Shoot, just being good isn’t enough for me. Herbert is having the best rookie season of all time right now on a terrible team. I want a QB who will win the big one for us and I have doubts that a rookie can do that

Did you forget that we lost to one of those 2 mvps in the last super bowl....
Herbert is on a sorry team.... if we had him and his mobility we'd be playoff contenders... Can't compare a bad team to a good team with a limited qb...

You’re missing the context of the discussion. Mahomes was in his third year under Andy Reid and not rookie or sophomore year which was the context of the discussion

I'm not missing anything..... Mahomes threw for 5000 years and 50tds year 2, got to the afc championship and lost because of a poor defense to Tom Brady..... Jimmy would've done none of those things so what are you missing about my point which is crystal clear....
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#33 » by Dodub » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:15 pm

TheBlackCzar wrote:
Dodub wrote:
TheBlackCzar wrote:
Did you forget that we lost to one of those 2 mvps in the last super bowl....
Herbert is on a sorry team.... if we had him and his mobility we'd be playoff contenders... Can't compare a bad team to a good team with a limited qb...

You’re missing the context of the discussion. Mahomes was in his third year under Andy Reid and not rookie or sophomore year which was the context of the discussion

I'm not missing anything..... Mahomes threw for 5000 years and 50tds year 2, got to the afc championship and lost because of a poor defense to Tom Brady..... Jimmy would've done none of those things so what are you missing about my point which is crystal clear....

You’re still missing it. He wasn’t a rookie (the whole point I was trying to make against starting a rookie right now). Mahomes had already had a year to sit and learn behind Alex Smith who in Mahomes own words taught him an incredible amount about the game, he had. A year ro learn with Andy Reid and a year to fix some of the mechanics, a year to learn a pro style offense without having to play.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 862

Post#34 » by Dom801e » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:30 pm

Would Det trade Stanford and #7 for Bosa and Garoppolo?

Would SF? Would you?

I would. Saves money allowing resigning more vets. Adds rookie scale players.
TheMonarch
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#35 » by TheMonarch » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:43 am

Dom801e wrote:Would Det trade Stanford and #7 for Bosa and Garoppolo?

Would SF? Would you?

I don't think that trade makes sense. If Detroit trades Stanford they would want to get a young QB in the draft, not Jimmy G.
TheBlackCzar
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#36 » by TheBlackCzar » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:11 am

Dodub wrote:
TheBlackCzar wrote:
Dodub wrote:

You’re still missing it. He wasn’t a rookie (the whole point I was trying to make against starting a rookie right now). Mahomes had already had a year to sit and learn behind Alex Smith who in Mahomes own words taught him an incredible amount about the game, he had. A year ro learn with Andy Reid and a year to fix some of the mechanics, a year to learn a pro style offense without having to play.

Actually that's exactly what you said.... Listen my point is Jimmy isn't getting us back to the Super Bowl..... He's proven to be not good enough and not healthy enough..... those are facts.....We need a new signal caller.... If he was healthy more often then this might not be an issue but he's always been injury prone..... enough is enough we need a guy who is playing regularly...
tallglassowater
Junior

Post#37 » by tallglassowater » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:36 pm

thesack12 wrote:
tallglassowater wrote:Whats everyones thoughts on Rodgers? I know they would have to trade for him but it looks like everyone thinks he wants out of Green Bay. I haven't really followed much of any football this year so I have no idea what's going on really. Just got a text from my friend after the game with a picture of Rodgers in a Niners uniform.

In that postgame presser, I think Rodgers was just kind of shellshocked and wasn't operating with full mental clarity in that moment. Which lead to those interesting statements he made regarding his future. Or there is always the chance that Rodgers knew exactly what he was doing and was sending a calculated message to the franchise that he's not happy. Either way, I think its very likely he's staying put.

Then again, perhaps that scar of them taking Jordan Love in the 1st round still hasn't healed. To him its a double smack in the face, in that they didn't use the pick to help improve the team and obviously it would seem to show that they have an expiration date in mind for Rodgers as a Packer.

If 49ers are in the market to trade for a veteran QB, Rodgers would obviously be the ideal catch. But man, that cap # of almost $40 million for the next couple seasons is tough to fit in.

Perhaps Green Bay shocks the world and just releases Rodgers due to not being able to trade him cap wise, like Colts did with Peyton. Still, not sure how interested Aaron would be in signing with the 49ers as he might still hold that Alex Smith grudge.

This is what I was thinking. He seems like he never got over that. He also seems like he could be a petty guy who would hold that over a team all these years later.
tallglassowater
Junior

Post#38 » by tallglassowater » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:40 pm

Would SF? Would you?

Why trade Bosa at this point though? Do you have injury fears about him? He was dominant his rookie year and then got hurt. I would take him over a QB who hasn't ever won anything, and a pick that may or may not work out.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#39 » by Dodub » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:13 pm

TheBlackCzar wrote:
Dodub wrote:
TheBlackCzar wrote:[/u][/b]

Actually that's exactly what you said.... Listen my point is Jimmy isn't getting us back to the Super Bowl..... He's proven to be not good enough and not healthy enough..... those are facts.....We need a new signal caller.... If he was healthy more often then this might not be an issue but he's always been injury prone..... enough is enough we need a guy who is playing regularly...

It’s not, I said that I have a hard time trusting a ROOKIE tfor us. You responded by taking about what Mahomes did in his second and third year.

I don’t disagree that we need someone better, but it has to be someone who can legitimately take us to the Super Bowl year one as a starter.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 862

Post#40 » by Dom801e » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:26 am

tallglassowater wrote:

Would SF? Would you?

Why trade Bosa at this point though? Do you have injury fears about him? He was dominant his rookie year and then got hurt. I would take him over a QB who hasn't ever won anything, and a pick that may or may not work out.

Love Bosa, but he’s has a lot of value. Mostly sets up cap for future and do have some injury concerns.

Return to San Francisco 49ers