ImageImageImageImageImage

AND WITH THE SECOND PICK OF THE 2019 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND PICK OF THE 2019 NFL DRAFT 

Post#221 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 pm

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/2019-nfl-draft-49ers-trade-back/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Some interesting trade scenarios. If we're inclined to move back, I'd be pretty tempted to trade back with the Raiders if they're offering something like this, and then, assuming the Raiders and Jets take defensive players (which, admittedly, we can't bank on), try to trade back again with a team eyeing a QB. Maybe we walk away with two first rounders this year, two next year, and still land a top-10 player. Once you move past Bosa and Williams, it seems like there isn't a huge difference in talent.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#222 » by arich35 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 am

If we can trade back and get Polite while also getting an extra 1st round pick at some point that would be ideal IMO
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#223 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:06 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/2019-nfl-draft-49ers-trade-back/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

Some interesting trade scenarios. If we're inclined to move back, I'd be pretty tempted to trade back with the Raiders if they're offering something like this, and then, assuming the Raiders and Jets take defensive players (which, admittedly, we can't bank on), try to trade back again with a team eyeing a QB. Maybe we walk away with two first rounders this year, two next year, and still land a top-10 player. Once you move past Bosa and Williams, it seems like there isn't a huge difference in talent.

If I had to do a trade, I may prefer the OAK deal over the Jags deal... the Jags deal is very tempting, a first plus Ramsey essentially... hit two birds with one stone...
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#224 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:08 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:We are not position to draft the best pass rusher in the draft at the position of need very often. It would be a tight call IMO.

You're not referring to Allen, are you? Because Bosa is easily a better DE IMO.

CalamityX12 wrote:The "trying to solve every personnel issue in one offseason..." has no bearing in this situation. It's one position of need that has been a nagging need since Aldon Smith. A perennial weakness for years, we have a solid chance to ramify this.

Not by reaching for a good DE over a pro-bowl-level DT. That doesn't solve anything, no matter how long it's been since Aldon.

The Niners will have several options to get a DE like Allen in the next 2 years either in the draft or FA. In fact, Allen might not even be the 2nd-best pass rusher in the draft. They have one chance to get a talent like Bosa or Q.

Oh I want Bosa. Bosa over Allen for sure. I wrote that under the assumption of Bosa being picked by AZ beforehand.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#225 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Chatter about Detroit considering a QB at 9, apparently. The more talk about QBs in the top-10, the better for us. Maybe someone trades up with AZ, or there's more of a market for us if Bosa goes #1.

I watched a bit of film on Bosa yesterday, in part because I read some of Grant Cohn's drivel in which he said Josh Allen was clearly the best player in the draft, and it reinforced for me that it's not close. Bosa is two or three times the pass rusher that Allen is. I don't doubt that Allen is better in coverage, and arguably has more upside, but right now, Bosa is head-and-shoulders above him in terms of technique.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,360

Post#226 » by wco81 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:52 pm

There's some talk that Arizona may go for Murray and trade away Rosen.

Their new HC is enamored with Murray, who supposedly is the fastest or best running QB since Vick.

So that 2nd pick may be useful yet.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#227 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Murray would be a surprise (shock?), but I don't think we can anticipate what AZ will do. It will be interesting. If Bosa is there, I don't know that we can pass on him unless we're blown away by a trade offer. He's too good at our biggest need. But if we are blown away by a trade offer, then I think we move back a ways and really try to stockpile picks. I would be perfectly happy adding a guy somewhere in the early teens as compared to the players we could get at #3.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#228 » by Jikkle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:57 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/2019-nfl-draft-49ers-trade-back/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

If the Giants want to move up I wouldn't rule out a trade up centered around OBJ.

Maybe something like pick 2 for pick 6 and OBJ. Giants move up without surrendering a ton of draft capital and 9ers get OBJ for just moving back 4 spots and still in position to grab someone to help their pass rush.

Just a spitball idea since Giants would likely have to give up a little more than OBJ and pick 6 to do it but they would still in the long run save on draft capital.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#229 » by NinerSickness » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:36 am

wco81 wrote:There's some talk that Arizona may go for Murray and trade away Rosen.

Heard talk on the radio Belichick might want to trade for him. If the Cards abort the Rosen mission, Niners need to pull up quick & retrieve it. :nod:

...Unfortunately, they'd never trade Rosen to a division rival. :(
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#230 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:13 pm

Hangman_52
Sixth Man
And1: 77

Post#231 » by Hangman_52 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:04 pm

I'm all for trading back to a team that needs a QB and grab some more picks. If we don't trade back. Allen or Bosa. We definitely need more pressure on the QB.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#232 » by NinerSickness » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:12 am

Hangman_52 wrote: If we don't trade back. Allen or Bosa. We definitely need more pressure on the QB.

Just as long as neither one of them has any idea how to stop a screen pass. That's not allowed in a Saleh defense.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#233 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:01 pm

Wow. Just wow.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/21/doug-farrars-mock-draft-1-0-pre-combine-edition/

I haven't studied Oliver yet, but I absolutely cannot see passing on Williams to take him. My impression from what I've read and some limited film review is that Oliver profiles in the Solomon Thomas mold as a guy who excelled inside in college but is undersized to play there every down in the NFL. He may be a little quicker in terms of his footwork - though Thomas' short area quickness numbers were elite for a guy his size - but he would play the same position and have some of the same question marks. Williams is much more versatile and an every down player if we're inclined to take an interior DL.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#234 » by NinerSickness » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:22 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Wow. Just wow.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/21/doug-farrars-mock-draft-1-0-pre-combine-edition/

I haven't studied Oliver yet, but I absolutely cannot see passing on Williams to take him. My impression from what I've read and some limited film review is that Oliver profiles in the Solomon Thomas mold as a guy who excelled inside in college but is undersized to play there every down in the NFL. He may be a little quicker in terms of his footwork - though Thomas' short area quickness numbers were elite for a guy his size - but he would play the same position and have some of the same question marks. Williams is much more versatile and an every down player if we're inclined to take an interior DL.

Reportedly played at 277 pounds. Hard pass.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#235 » by NinerSickness » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:28 am

Deandre Baker at 32??? Greedy at 16? White at 20? Wilkins at 17?

That's a trade-the-***-down scenario if I ever saw one.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#236 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:40 am

NinerSickness wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Wow. Just wow.

Reportedly played at 277 pounds. Hard pass.

I’ve always said that there were 3 or even 4 players that I’d be content in drafting with pick #2 if we’re unable to trade down and are force to make that pick. Oliver is definitely one of them.

In this scenario I’d be very happy if we ended up with either Brian Burns or Devin Bush with our second round pick. Trade back up the end of the first round if we have to.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#237 » by NinerSickness » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:I’ve always said that there were 3 or even 4 players that I’d be content in drafting with pick #2 if we’re unable to trade down and are force to make that pick. Oliver is definitely one of them.

Where would Oliver play on the DL? In a 4-3, he's not a LDE; and he's too small to play next to Buckner.

Switch to a 3-4 and give up on Thomas completely? Put Oliver & Buckner at DE & play DJ Jones at NT? Is Oliver that big of an upgrade over Ronald Blair in that scenario? Such a huge difference it justifies the 2 overall?

I'm not seeing how he fits on the Niners at this point.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#238 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:30 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:I’ve always said that there were 3 or even 4 players that I’d be content in drafting with pick #2 if we’re unable to trade down and are force to make that pick. Oliver is definitely one of them.

Where would Oliver play on the DL? In a 4-3, he's not a LDE; and he's too small to play next to Buckner.

Switch to a 3-4 and give up on Thomas completely? Put Oliver & Buckner at DE & play DJ Jones at NT? Is Oliver that big of an upgrade over Ronald Blair in that scenario? Such a huge difference it justifies the 2 overall?

Where do you get the notion that he can’t play next to Buck. C’mon man we all know his size is an issue, but he more than makes up for it with his sheer quickness off the ball and X-men/superhero like strength. The kid is blessed with superb burst and quickness, which causes havoc un ruining the opposing blocking schemes. He’s as strong as an ox and doesn’t seem to get overwhelmed at all against bigger offensive linemen. Go back and watch a few of his games not just the highlights (the one against Lamar Jackson). His gap penetration skills is elite and he’s continuously getting better with his hand technique. His playing strength is very underrated the kid is very powerful at the point of attack. The only question I have is whether or not he’s able to keep that motor / strength for 4 quarters in a 16 game season. Which is why I think he’d be a good fit for us because we have Solomon to rotate him with. Keeping everyone fresh including Daforest.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#239 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:35 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Where do you get the notion that he can’t play next to Buck. C’mon man we all know his size is an issue, but he more than makes up for it with his sheer quickness off the ball and X-men/superhero like strength. The kid is blessed with superb burst and quickness, which causes havoc un ruining the opposing blocking schemes. He’s as strong as an ox and doesn’t seem to get overwhelmed at all against bigger offensive linemen. Go back and watch a few of his games not just the highlights (the one against Lamar Jackson). His gap penetration skills is elite and he’s continuously getting better with his hand technique. His playing strength is very underrated the kid is very powerful at the point of attack. The only question I have is whether or not he’s able to keep that motor / strength for 4 quarters in a 16 game season. Which is why I think he’d be a good fit for us because we have Solomon to rotate him with. Keeping everyone fresh including Daforest.

Could it work? Maybe. But Q. Williams is a much better fit. He is a more natural NT who can eat up blockers or split double teams, but he brings a lot as a pass rusher, too. Putting him next to Buckner makes loads more sense than trying to fit Oliver in there. We will have a shot at Williams or Bosa. In my opinion, it would be a huge mistake to pass on one of those guys to take Oliver. If we trade down and Oliver is still there, that changes the equation somewhat.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#240 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:07 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Could it work? Maybe. But Q. Williams is a much better fit. He is a more natural NT who can eat up blockers or split double teams, but he brings a lot as a pass rusher, too. Putting him next to Buckner makes loads more sense than trying to fit Oliver in there. We will have a shot at Williams or Bosa. In my opinion, it would be a huge mistake to pass on one of those guys to take Oliver. If we trade down and Oliver is still there, that changes the equation somewhat.

Yeah I agree with that, Crims. If you remember I was the one that brought up Q being as good as Bosa (NFL madden analogy in terms of player ratings). He’s my #1 rated DT so of course I’d prefer Q over him. My argument is that he’s a player who’s good enough to go in the top 2 IMO, it’s just that there happens to be another player at his position who we all view as being better than him. In all honesty, knowing that Jeffrey Simmons is certainly going to fall out of the first round, my dream scenario now is Bosa with our first pick and Simmons with our second pick.

Return to San Francisco 49ers