ImageImageImageImageImage

2022 Season Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,746

Re: 2022 Season Thread 

Post#481 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:31 pm

We beat the Rams twice last season and couldn't close it out against them last NFC title game. Hope we don't take the Seahawks for granted.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
arich35
General Manager
And1: 821

Post#482 » by arich35 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:40 am

CharityStripe34 wrote:We beat the Rams twice last season and couldn't close it out against them last NFC title game. Hope we don't take the Seahawks for granted.

Rams and Seahawks are a big difference. Seahawks have not been playing well the last 4-6 weeks, their defense has been pretty good including against us but that was on short rest on the road. As long as the defense keeps them under 24 I am confident we win (I expect us to put up 28+ unless the weather is just god awful)
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 971

Post#483 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:21 pm

arich35 wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:We beat the Rams twice last season and couldn't close it out against them last NFC title game. Hope we don't take the Seahawks for granted.

Rams and Seahawks are a big difference. Seahawks have not been playing well the last 4-6 weeks, their defense has been pretty good including against us but that was on short rest on the road. As long as the defense keeps them under 24 I am confident we win (I expect us to put up 28+ unless the weather is just god awful)

Yeah, this is a very different situation. Last year, we had the Rams' number during the regular season even though, on paper, they were pretty clearly the better team. We accounted for 40% of their losses. They won the division and had elite players playing at a high level. We were punching above our weight class to even be in that championship game, frankly, even though we had a lot of talent on that roster.

This year, it's a very different situation. We won the division handily. The Hawks limped into the playoffs after a surprisingly strong start to the season. We have been pretty dominant on at least one side of the ball and often both for weeks at this point. Everything is clicking for us, and the Rams just took them to OT.

As said, we absolutely cannot take this team lightly. Carroll is a very good coach, who has proven that more than ever this season with a retread QB and a very young defense. On paper, I would have said they were one of the three or four weakest teams in the league, and here they are in the playoffs on the back of some impressive rookie performances and some legit coaching. Additionally, the bad weather and likely difficult conditions that result from it will very likely serve as an equalizer of sorts. We're more likely to see guys losing their footing, or balls slipping. Those things should affect the teams equally, but they never seem to, and we're the team that wants a more predictable outcome. Greater uncertainty favors the underdog. If one of our safeties slips and falls and a deep ball goes for a TD instead of an INT, or we cough up an ill-timed fumble, this could be an uncomfortable game.

We've got to come out firing. Got to finish them off early. We can't have a repeat of the Bears' game, where we were clearly the more talented team, but couldn't put them away and then let them take the lead on a fluke play just before the weather set in. That's a recipe to make a first-round departure, which would be devastating for this team.

I do have to note that, although the game in Seattle looked close-ish, we found out later that Purdy was in a considerable amount of pain. He should be playing at a noticeably higher level at this point, though again, the weather is a factor you just can't ignore. Hopefully his lengthy experience playing in Iowa and Midwest weather pays off.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#484 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:46 pm

First-ever players All-Pro team announced. Four Niners: Big Trent, Juice, Warner, and Bosa. I believe no other team had more than three, if we don't include KC's punter. Granted FB is barely a position in much of today's NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/11/nflpa-announces-first-ever-players-all-pro-team/
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#485 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:02 pm

Banks, Givens, and Greenlaw all back for the playoffs. Great to have those guys back. Basically three starters, granted not necessarily front-line guys.
arich35
General Manager

Post#486 » by arich35 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:04 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Banks, Givens, and Greenlaw all back for the playoffs. Great to have those guys back. Basically three starters, granted not necessarily front-line guys.

I consider Greenlaw to be a huge deal to the defense. This year most of the games I feel like he has been playing better than Warner
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#487 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:49 pm

arich35 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Banks, Givens, and Greenlaw all back for the playoffs. Great to have those guys back. Basically three starters, granted not necessarily front-line guys.

I consider Greenlaw to be a huge deal to the defense. This year most of the games I feel like he has been playing better than Warner

Yeah, even as I hit "submit," I was thinking that might not be fair to Greenlaw, who has had some really excellent games this year, particularly in coverage. And honestly, Givens is a big and probably fairly under appreciated upgrade at DT just as we're coming up against a team that will want to establish the run. Even Banks is probably a decent upgrade over Brunskill, who hasn't played much LG. I think Greenlaw is the only one who could really be considered a plus starter at this point, but getting all of them back helps a lot. Going into the playoffs basically healthy is huge.
arich35
General Manager

Post#488 » by arich35 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:59 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Yeah, even as I hit "submit," I was thinking that might not be fair to Greenlaw, who has had some really excellent games this year, particularly in coverage. And honestly, Givens is a big and probably fairly under appreciated upgrade at DT just as we're coming up against a team that will want to establish the run. Even Banks is probably a decent upgrade over Brunskill, who hasn't played much LG. I think Greenlaw is the only one who could really be considered a plus starter at this point, but getting all of them back helps a lot. Going into the playoffs basically healthy is huge.

I didn't realize how huge Givens was this year until seeing other comments about him being back this week. Kinlaw hasn't shown up all that much since being back so Givens giving us that DT depth will be huge in the run game
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#489 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:20 pm

arich35 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
arich35 wrote:

I didn't realize how huge Givens was this year until seeing other comments about him being back this week. Kinlaw hasn't shown up all that much since being back so Givens giving us that DT depth will be huge in the run game

Yeah, Kinlaw has had one or two big plays, but very inconsistent. I cant' see us picking up his fifth-year option. Good thing we passed on Wirfs for him....

Particularly with Ridgeway on IR and now ineligible for return, getting Givens back is huge. We've been pretty thin at DT for the past few weeks, and we'll need a strong rotation for the playoffs. I'm really bummed we can't bring Ridgeway back. He had been playing well, and was a big part of our run-stopping game. Really stupid use of IR early in the year to waste an IR return spot on Curtis Robinson. There was never any real danger of losing Robinson, and if we had, so what? Hope it doesn't hurt us in the playoffs. Kinlaw better start earning his keep.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,455

Post#490 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:56 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:First-ever players All-Pro team announced. Four Niners: Big Trent, Juice, Warner, and Bosa. I believe no other team had more than three, if we don't include KC's punter. Granted FB is barely a position in much of today's NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/11/nflpa-announces-first-ever-players-all-pro-team/

Heard Philly had some huge number of Pro Bowl players and alternates, like far outstripping any other team.

That is what some people call the best roster in the league.

Also Shefter was saying this morning that it's now Purdy's job to lose. He's wildly exceeded expectations.

So that seems to imply that even if Jimmy is available in a couple of weeks or even next training camp, Purdy would be QB1.
wco81
RealGM

Post#491 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:03 pm

wco81 wrote:Packers are on a winning streak so probably stronger.

But I don't know about playing a division rival a third time.

Also I think a game vs. Seattle could be more physical with Walker.

So Packers may be a better choice to get through the WC round relatively unscathed.

Ahem.

They're dominating both sides of the line of scrimmage.

That said, they'd be struggling against other teams the way the team is playing.

But Seattle getting a third shot at it is probably helping them.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#492 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:28 am

Playing the winner of the Boys/Bucs game Sunday night.

This actually gives us an advantage since we played the first game this past Saturday so we're basically getting an extra 2 days on whoever wins tomorrow night.

The other advantage we gain is we played the Bucs not long ago so they can pivot to focusing on game planning on the Cowboys because even if the Bucs win they already have the game planning from a couple of weeks ago to use so they already have a bit of a head start game planning them.
wco81
RealGM

Post#493 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:38 am

It’s harder to beat the same team twice because they know what didn’t work for them the first time.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#494 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:04 am

wco81 wrote:It’s harder to beat the same team twice because they know what didn’t work for them the first time.

True which is why I'm always nervous playing a team again after you blow them out since they have plenty of things they can do differently to counter whereas you don't have much to change since everything you did in the first matchup worked.

However the Bucs really haven't been that great of a team all season long and they just benefitted from a weak division.

With that said I have very little trust in this team to not screw things up and while we should beat either the Boys or Bucs I'll definitely be nervous until the game is over.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,904

Post#495 » by Samurai » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:28 pm

wco81 wrote:It’s harder to beat the same team twice because they know what didn’t work for them the first time.

True....unless you are a bunch of SeaChickens this season! :D
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#496 » by zman1 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:44 pm

Unless you are more talented and better coached

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
wco81
RealGM

Post#497 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:36 pm

zman1 wrote:
Unless you are more talented and better coached

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I'm not saying you can't beat a team multiple times in a season. Obviously the 49ers have.

But generally it's harder or the opponent will play better.
wco81
RealGM

Post#498 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:08 pm

Cowboys fans already whining that 49ers are going to have 2 more days of rest and preparation than them for the Divisional Playoffs game.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#499 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:52 pm

wco81 wrote:Cowboys fans already whining that 49ers are going to have 2 more days of rest and preparation than them for the Divisional Playoffs game.

To be fair, I am sure there would be 49er fans complaining if the shoe was on the other foot.
wco81
RealGM

Post#500 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:02 pm

But the 49ers had 6 days for the WC game, while the Cowboys had 7 or 8 for their game?

Also, would they prefer to go to Philly instead?

Return to San Francisco 49ers