ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 QB Options

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 969

Re: 2021 QB Options 

Post#61 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 9, 2021 5:50 pm

Yeah, as said, I can forgive a hard look and deciding they weren't interested. I think they made up their minds that they weren't going QB and didn't do the homework. Not as willing to forgive that.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#62 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 9:32 pm

All this did was pretty much confirm the rumors to be truth, in that there were not a lot of rumors about the 49ers drafting a QB other than possible sparse interest in Trubisky. Thomas was the heavy favorite to be picked by the 49ers from combine onward it seemed. If there was another player in the running to Thomas, seems like the majority had it to be Jamal Adams. Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but teams didn't see Mahomes and Watson as top 8 picks. That's an obvious error looking back. I think if they had interest in one of them, do they take one at 3 after the trade? Do they look to trade down a few spots again?

I was actually shocked Mahomes was picked ahead of Watson, I thought Watson was the guy KC was targeting when that trade was announced. I don't remember reading about Mahomes/KC connects. Felt like Watson was going to be the 2nd QB taken on draft night.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#63 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 11:54 pm

Here is where Walter Football had Mahomes before that draft.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017pmahomes.php
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,254

Post#64 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:20 pm

Yeah, as I've stated recently Watson was my guy in that 2017 draft. Didn't want anything to do with Trubisky at all, and didn't really consider Mahomes much, as 9ers had #2 overall and it was pretty obvious Browns were taking Garrett. So with Watson being my #1 he was going to be available.

Of course, all of us would be thrilled if they took either Mahomes or Watson. That said, I'm not entirely convinced them not taking a QB there was a bad thing, as it very well could have been Trubisky.

Picking up the extra 2nd to trade back a spot with Chicago, was a great move. However, everything else that happened in the first 4 rounds of that draft was basically an unmitigated disaster. Fortunately they made the home run pick of getting Kittle in the 5th and made a solid pickup with DJ Jones in the 6th to put a little bit of perfume on the stench that was the 2016 draft.
tallglassowater
Junior
And1: 22

Post#65 » by tallglassowater » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:50 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Yeah, as said, I can forgive a hard look and deciding they weren't interested. I think they made up their minds that they weren't going QB and didn't do the homework. Not as willing to forgive that.

Thats the difference. If they looked at Mahomes/Watson and maybe they don't like the decision making with both of them having a lot of INTs in their last two seasons. Thats a mistake. They didn't see something in the guys or whatever, that happens all the time to every team. When you don't even take a good look though... (I thought we were taking Watson the entire year leading up if we had the chance and he was sitting right there!) that's more than a mistake. Thats a slap in the face to the organization and all the players/fans. I understand if we had a guy of even Jimmy G's level, but wasn't it CJ Bethard? If Nick Mullens and CJ Bethard are the QB's on the roster, every option should have been on the table.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#66 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:45 pm

tallglassowater wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Yeah, as said, I can forgive a hard look and deciding they weren't interested. I think they made up their minds that they weren't going QB and didn't do the homework. Not as willing to forgive that.

Thats the difference. If they looked at Mahomes/Watson and maybe they don't like the decision making with both of them having a lot of INTs in their last two seasons. Thats a mistake. They didn't see something in the guys or whatever, that happens all the time to every team. When you don't even take a good look though... (I thought we were taking Watson the entire year leading up if we had the chance and he was sitting right there!) that's more than a mistake. Thats a slap in the face to the organization and all the players/fans. I understand if we had a guy of even Jimmy G's level, but wasn't it CJ Bethard? If Nick Mullens and CJ Bethard are the QB's on the roster, every option should have been on the table.

It wasn't even those guys. We added them in that draft and as a UDFA. We had Brian Hoyer as our starting QB.
tallglassowater
Junior
And1: 22

Post#67 » by tallglassowater » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:36 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
tallglassowater wrote:

It wasn't even those guys. We added them in that draft and as a UDFA. We had Brian Hoyer as our starting QB.

I completely forgot he was even on the team!
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,720

Post#68 » by Warriorfan » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:39 am

Build the team on a running game and defense. Shanahan can play all a top 10 offense.

Just get cheap game managers and draft a qb every year till you uncover one
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#69 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:13 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on Stanford QB Davis Mills? He wasn't on my radar at all, and has an injury history, but a blue chip prospect who seemingly can make all the throws and processes pretty quickly. Gotta think Lynch has at least looked into him.

This draft could be a tough one for us at QB. We're almost certainly missing out on the top four guys unless we sell the farm to move up. I'm not convinced Mac Jones is worth 12, though my opinion on college passers isn't worth much. Trask may go before our second-round pick. I watched a couple of Mond's games (on youtube) and didn't come away very impressed.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#70 » by Dodub » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:37 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Stanford QB Davis Mills? He wasn't on my radar at all, and has an injury history, but a blue chip prospect in who seemingly can make all the throws and processes pretty quickly. Gotta think Lynch has at least looked into him.

This draft could be a tough one for us at QB. We're almost certainly missing out on the top four guys unless we sell the farm to move up. I'm not convinced Mac Jones is worth 12, though my opinion on college passers isn't worth much. Trask may go before our second-round pick. I watched a couple of Mond's games (on youtube) and didn't come away very impressed.

There are several QB’s in this years draft that I see in the “High level back up” category. Newman, Trask, Mills are all in that group (I haven’t made my mind up on Mond yet). These are guys that I see in the Dalton, Trubisky, Bridgewater, Fitzpatrick category.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#71 » by GS Warriors 1 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:17 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:I can't remember a class where I liked the top 4 QB's. Usually, there's 1 or 2 guys that I'm lukewarm about, but early watching, I like what I see from all of them. Maybe it changes, I don't know. If the 49ers feel the same, they are a team to watch to move up. It's going to be interesting to think about who they have in what order. Let's say they have Lance as QB2, they could probably be a little more patient, but we're still talking about someone who is likely going top 10.

:nod:
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,720

Post#72 » by Warriorfan » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:01 am

49ers get the #3 pick I think its Fields
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#73 » by Dodub » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:21 pm

Regardless if we take Lance or Fields this year, I still think we need to start Jimmy for one more season. I believe that both of them will need a redshirt year. If Wilson somehow falls to us then I’d say to trade Jimmy
thesack12
RealGM

Post#74 » by thesack12 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:44 pm

Dodub wrote:Regardless if we take Lance or Fields this year, I still think we need to start Jimmy for one more season. I believe that both of them will need a redshirt year. If Wilson somehow falls to us then I’d say to trade Jimmy

Lance absolutely 100% would need a redshirt year, maybe two.

Dude has only started 15 career games, while only attempting 318 passes total. All this at a lower level college program no less. He has only played 1 game in December of 2019 to boot.

You don't bring in a guy like that and expect him to pick up and learn a Kyle Shanahan offense within what seems to be another limited offseason/preseason, and say be ready for Week 1 kid. Let alone expect him to lead a super bowl caliber roster from jump.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#75 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:53 pm

Dodub wrote:Regardless if we take Lance or Fields this year, I still think we need to start Jimmy for one more season. I believe that both of them will need a redshirt year. If Wilson somehow falls to us then I’d say to trade Jimmy

Even if Wilson miraculously falls to the 49ers at three, I still say we keep Jimmy G and Wilson sits. I would not prematurely trade Jimmy G. Never know how any rookie is going to perform in the pros.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#76 » by Jikkle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:53 am

thesack12 wrote:

Dude has only started 15 career games, while only attempting 318 passes total. All this at a lower level college program no less. He has only played 1 game in December of 2019 to boot.

You don't bring in a guy like that and expect him to pick up and learn a Kyle Shanahan offense within what seems to be another limited offseason/preseason, and say be ready for Week 1 kid. Let alone expect him to lead a super bowl caliber roster from jump.

I'd say you'd just need to redshirt Lance a year to polish off the rough edges and get him acclimated to the NFL level but I don't think he would be as big of a project in Shanahan's system as people believe.

He was in a pro style system in college so he's used to taking snaps from center, play action, bootlegs, and doing a lot of things he would do in Shanahan's offense. He's also used to operating a huddle, really long play calls, and adjusting protections at the line.

You could argue he'd be more ready to be a day 1 starter than Mac Jones and Justin Fields since he has experience in doing what Shanahan is going to ask him to do and he could pick it up quicker than Jones and Fields in the short term. What he needs is reps and he'll only get those playing.

With that said I'd still sit him a season as in general I've always been a proponent of letting a rookie QB sit a season before you throw them out there but I do understand the notion of throwing them out there week 1 and just letting them get those lumps out of the way because ultimately the most important factor in a QBs growth is game reps.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#77 » by thesack12 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:13 pm

Jikkle wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I'd say you'd just need to redshirt Lance a year to polish off the rough edges and get him acclimated to the NFL level but I don't think he would be as big of a project in Shanahan's system as people believe.

He was in a pro style system in college so he's used to taking snaps from center, play action, bootlegs, and doing a lot of things he would do in Shanahan's offense. He's also used to operating a huddle, really long play calls, and adjusting protections at the line.

You could argue he'd be more ready to be a day 1 starter than Mac Jones and Justin Fields since he has experience in doing what Shanahan is going to ask him to do and he could pick it up quicker than Jones and Fields in the short term. What he needs is reps and he'll only get those playing.

With that said I'd still sit him a season as in general I've always been a proponent of letting a rookie QB sit a season before you throw them out there but I do understand the notion of throwing them out there week 1 and just letting them get those lumps out of the way because ultimately the most important factor in a QBs growth is game reps.

I agree, reps is clearly the best way for a young QB to improve and build confidence. My main question about that is I don't know how willing the team is to give the rookie those live reps and let him take him lumps, while the team is sitting within a window of being able to contend. I don't think they are willing to punt on the season, unless they get off to like a 2-5 start or something along those lines. Or suffer another brutal wave of rosterwide injuries like last season.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#78 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:34 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I agree, reps is clearly the best way for a young QB to improve and build confidence. My main question about that is I don't know how willing the team is to give the rookie those live reps and let him take him lumps, while the team is sitting within a window of being able to contend. I don't think they are willing to punt on the season, unless they get off to like a 2-5 start or something along those lines. Or suffer another brutal wave of rosterwide injuries like last season.

Lance is only 20 years old. In the NFL a boy among men. And while he might play in a Pro Style system has taken limited reps and limited experience. I don't think the 49ers have any intention of starting him this year. Out of the most likely three, I think he is the least experienced and needs more time before starting.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#79 » by thesack12 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:48 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

Lance is only 20 years old. In the NFL a boy among men. And while he might play in a Pro Style system has taken limited reps and limited experience. I don't think the 49ers have any intention of starting him this year. Out of the most likely three, I think he is the least experienced and needs more time before starting.

+1, great point

On top of this, by the time the season starts he'll have played in 1 game in the last 18 months. Heck, if they take Lance and all goes as planned next season, extrapolating it out further; Trey will have still only played in 1 game in 30 months by the time the 2022 season rolls around. By that I mean started 1 game, because I imagine Kyle would sprinkle in a couple Taysom Hill esque packages for Lance next season.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,434

Post#80 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:42 pm

Lombardi says Fields is going to have to change his throwing mechanics.

Strides too long into the throw. Didn't elaborate more but sounded like he was saying Fields release is too slow or motion is too elongated.

Warner said he liked Jones processing presnap.

Lombardi says Alabama players said Jones was better than Tua. He says Jones was also better in college than Daniel Jones.

Return to San Francisco 49ers