Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 219

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#6661 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:15 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
As the first overall pick, sure. But as a guy to bring in late in FA on a mid-range, one-year deal? I think he's worth a shot.

He definitely was not a guy I was "targeting" when the FA period opened up, but when we moved up in the draft and I was thinking about moving Garoppolo and using some of the savings to flesh out our roster, he's a guy whose name stood out a bit.

I would possibly kick the tires for vet minimum, but for some reason people keep paying this guy millions. He’s not been a consistent difference maker in the league.

Now you're swinging too far in the other direction. Clowney is a solid starting DE. His pressure numbers are routinely better than his sack numbers, and are pretty solid. And he's very good against the run - again, with the caveat that he has dealt with some injuries and he can take plays off. If he weren't a first overall pick, he'd be considered one of the better base ends in the league, most likely.

Vet minimum players are marginal roster guys. Clowney is far superior to that sort of guy, even factoring in his off-field baggage (worth ethic, seemingly higher opinion of himself than the production bears out).

Clowney gets some criticism because of where he was drafted as better sack production from him. I would not call him a bust. He is an elite run defender and average rusher. I would not pay top dollar for an elite run defender.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 1,041

Post#6662 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:39 pm

Man, Ravens do it again. They're trading 3rd-round pick from 2018, Orlando Brown, and their second-round pick (58) to the Chiefs for their first (31), third (94), and fourth (136), as well as a fifth-rounder from next year. Granted OT is a big-time position, but that's some solid value for a guy that Baltimore clearly either doubted it could, or felt it wasn't worth it to wrap up long term.

Interesting move for the Chiefs. They have a huge need at the position, but this is a lot of draft capital to give up, and I'm not sure how well Brown fits their scheme.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,456

Post#6663 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:57 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Man, Ravens do it again. They're trading 3rd-round pick from 2018, Orlando Brown, and their second-round pick (58) to the Chiefs for their first (31), third (94), and fourth (136), as well as a fifth-rounder from next year. Granted OT is a big-time position, but that's some solid value for a guy that Baltimore clearly either doubted it could, or felt it wasn't worth it to wrap up long term.

Interesting move for the Chiefs. They have a huge need at the position, but this is a lot of draft capital to give up, and I'm not sure how well Brown fits their scheme.

Great trade by the Ravens for sure.

As for the Chiefs, Brown is in his contract year and will want a big raise. At some point Mahomes' 1/2 $billion is going to cause them to run into some cap issues, right? Especially when they are trading away all these draft picks, that would have been cheap labor.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6664 » by thesack12 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:34 pm

Read on Twitter

NFC is super top heavy with the entire NFC west + Tampa Bay + Packers, then everybody else.

Actually, depending on what happens this weekend, the 9ers could find themselves in that everybody else category as well.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 464

Post#6665 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:04 pm

Broncos traded for QB Teddy Bridgewater from the Panthers for a 6th round pick (#191). Bridgewater's contract was also restructured. Carolina is paying Bridgewater $7M, Denver is paying him $3M, and his final year is now void, making him an UFA in 2022.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6666 » by thesack12 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:19 pm

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Broncos traded for QB Teddy Bridgewater from the Panthers for a 6th round pick (#191). Bridgewater's contract was also restructured. Carolina is paying Bridgewater $7M, Denver is paying him $3M, and his final year is now void, making him an UFA in 2022.

I'm pretty surprised that Carolina was able to get an asset for Teddy.

This effects the 49ers two ways, by further shrinking the potential market for Jimmy & the lowering the perceived interest in Mac Jones. If Frisco doesn't take Jones (PLEASE let that be the case), him falling all the way down to Washington at 19 or Chicago at 20 is not only possible, but perhaps even likely.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,850

Post#6667 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:22 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,792

Post#6668 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:32 pm

Which teams have the cap space to trade for Rodgers?

There can't be many. Certainly not among playoffs contenders.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6669 » by thesack12 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:36 pm

wco81 wrote:Which teams have the cap space to trade for Rodgers?

There can't be many. Certainly not among playoffs contenders.

Colts, but they just traded for Wentz so they're out.

9ers can move off Garoppolo, but that won't be enough free cap. However, they can give Rodgers an extension (which will be a pre-requisite for a trade anyways) thus lowering his cap hit this year to be able to fit him in.

Rodgers definitely isn't going to a crap team, and Packers won't get a better offer than #3 from a good team.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6670 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:23 pm

Panthers picked up Darnold's 5th year option this morning.

Them waiting to pick up Sam's option until after the 1st round of the draft, coupled with them passing on Fields & Jones, I think that pretty clearly indicates that they were targeting Trey Lance.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6671 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:32 pm

Read on Twitter
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6672 » by thesack12 » Sun May 2, 2021 12:01 am

Read on Twitter

Lol, Trent Baalke's love for injured players is still alive and well
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6673 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun May 2, 2021 3:01 am

Arguably Trent's biggest issue with injured players wasn't that he took them, but he took them effectively at their value without injury. You can take an occasional risk on injured players - especially as stacked as the Niners were at that time - but you can only use that approach if you're getting good value as a result of the injury.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,850

Post#6674 » by Cactus Jack » Tue May 4, 2021 12:46 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He makes Aldon Smith look like a choirboy. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 219

Post#6675 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue May 4, 2021 4:47 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He makes Aldon Smith look like a choirboy. :wink:

Unfortunate. All these athletes with incredible talent but ten cent brains.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6676 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 4, 2021 4:58 pm

The size difference between those two men is borderline comical. Granted the cop appears to be quite short, and McDowell is 6'6". He's lucky McDowell wasn't really fighting him, but really just trying to tear free of his grasp.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,033

Post#6677 » by Scoots1994 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:48 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:The size difference between those two men is borderline comical. Granted the cop appears to be quite short, and McDowell is 6'6". He's lucky McDowell wasn't really fighting him, but really just trying to tear free of his grasp.

I got to see Reggie White up close and personal at a camp long long ago. He picked up two high school players, one on each arm, and ran 20 yards. Not on his shoulders, not under his arms, on his arms forklift style.

I also saw Michael Carter on the 49ers throw Jesse Sapolu about 5 yards once in camp.

NFL linemen are STROOOOOOOOOONG.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6678 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 4, 2021 6:59 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:The size difference between those two men is borderline comical. Granted the cop appears to be quite short, and McDowell is 6'6". He's lucky McDowell wasn't really fighting him, but really just trying to tear free of his grasp.

I got to see Reggie White up close and personal at a camp long long ago. He picked up two high school players, one on each arm, and ran 20 yards. Not on his shoulders, not under his arms, on his arms forklift style.

I also saw Michael Carter on the 49ers throw Jesse Sapolu about 5 yards once in camp.

NFL linemen are STROOOOOOOOOONG.

Yeah, History Channel has a sort of goofy show called "Human Weapon," where two dudes go study different martial arts throughout the world for a couple weeks and then one of them competes with an expert in a "friendly" bout. One of the hosts is a guy named Bill Duff, who played OL one year for the Browns in their expansion season before spending some time in NFL Europe - the definition of a fringe NFL player. I only caught one or two episodes, but in one of the episodes, he fought a Greek martial artist who was pretty close to his size, and although he wasn't technically as good as this guy who has been studying the fighting style his whole life, and I think lost on points, he was just borderline physically dominant. If that's the fringe guy, just imagine the blue-chip dudes.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6679 » by thesack12 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:00 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Arguably Trent's biggest issue with injured players wasn't that he took them, but he took them effectively at their value without injury. You can take an occasional risk on injured players - especially as stacked as the Niners were at that time - but you can only use that approach if you're getting good value as a result of the injury.

Jags took Walker Little #45. He suffered a season ending knee injury in 2019, and opted out in 2020
Jags took Andre Cisco #65. He suffered a torn ACL last season early last season
Jags took Jay Tufele #106. He opted out last season due to several family members catching Covid
Jags took Jordan Smith #121. He was dismissed from Florida due to being involved with credit card fraud

So it appears that Baalke still might think he's smarter than everybody else and draft guys with red flags.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6680 » by thesack12 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:01 pm

He just wanted to talk to a supervisor, lol.

I'm sure he got his wish a couple days later, when he went before a judge.

Return to San Francisco 49ers