TheSurgeon49
Ballboy
And1: 0

Darrelle Revis? 

Post#1 » by TheSurgeon49 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:11 pm

At the very top of RealGM's headlines:

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... _in_revis/

Thoughts?

I would love to work a trade involving Alex Smith.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Re: Darrelle Revis? 

Post#2 » by Wolfay » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:37 pm

DO IT! The defense is elite, but there is a definite chink in the secondary. Add Revis and we're Fort Knox with a missile shield.

If we can't, it's still nice to know that the team knows where its weaknesses are.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#3 » by TNBT » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:17 am

I was thinking the same thing, Surgeon. I'm a huge fan of Darrelle Revis. I play CB and S, and he's the reason I chose number 24 for my number. They need a starting-quality QB and we have one to spare in Smith. If we could get a deal done, that would make our secondary rock-solid... which is the only real weakness of defense at the moment.
TheSurgeon49
Ballboy

Post#4 » by TheSurgeon49 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm

The thing though, is that Revis is probably asking for a Mario Williams type of contract and a trade involving Alex Smith would probably involve 1st/2nd round draft picks as well.

But really, anything can happen, we do need help at CB, and landing Revis would be a dream come true.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by TNBT » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:16 am

Maybe we can send them Rogers as well as Smith to even it out? That way they get the QB they need in Smith, and also a guy like Rogers to replace (to some extent) Revis at CB. What do you think? Rogers obviously isn't an equal replacement to Revis, but with Smith as well, they'd fill two holes in the one trade. Maybe we can then throw in picks if needed, but later rounds rather than giving up 1st rounders.

That leaves us with a secondary of Goldson, Whitner, Revis and a still-improving Brown. That looks pretty good to me, and they all have at least a few more really good years left in them.
TheSurgeon49
Ballboy

Post#6 » by TheSurgeon49 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:28 am

That sounds like a plan, but I feel like "blockbuster" (this I consider) trades are never that simple, but as slim chances might be, it's possible. Although, I'm not sure if the Jets want an aging C. Rogers (he's turning 32 this year), their roster is in dire need of young talent. Plus, we'd have to deal with contract negotiations and breaking the bank most likely if Darelle does choose SF.

I'd definitely do Smith + Rogers + a second/third rounder, I'm not sure if it works, but only because of injury, this is as low as Revis's stock is going to get.

Don't count Chris Culliver out, I see a lot of potential in him.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by TNBT » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:24 am

I read somewhere that some people in the Jets organization apparently prefer the idea of trading Cromartie and keeping Revis. Would you guys be interested in him? If so, at what price?

I know he's known for some off-field issues, like having a million kids to all different women, but I can't remember him getting in trouble for a while now and he's certainly a star CB. I'd expect though that he'd fetch a price not much less than it would take to get Revis, given the injury Revis had brings his value down and the great year Cromartie had pushes his value up.
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#8 » by arsenal6106 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 am

TheSurgeon49 wrote:The thing though, is that Revis is probably asking for a Mario Williams type of contract and a trade involving Alex Smith would probably involve 1st/2nd round draft picks as well.

But really, anything can happen, we do need help at CB, and landing Revis would be a dream come true.

This is my main concern.
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#9 » by and1GS » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:57 pm

You shouldn't get those contract numbers at CB, he's already the second highest paid in the NFL at around $11m and I already think we're paying Carlos Rogers a little too much. Especially when you consider how quickly a CB can decline to being damn near worthless (see Nnamdi). No way we get Revis and in a day and age where nickel + packages are becoming more and more frequent, there will be more and more above average to good CBs to choose from. ANd that's what you really need with these passing offenses: 3+ CBs who are all starting caliber.

We don't need a mega-star lockdown corner, not for that price at least.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,750

Post#10 » by gswhoops » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 pm

I would love to get Revis, but he's going to be well out of our price range (both $ and trade-value wise)...the Jets didn't say they were necessarily going to trade him just that they were "listening to offers," which tells me that they're not going to deal him unless 1) they get a massive offer (like, multiple 1st rounders) or 2) he asks for an absurdly large contract. Under either scenario (at least IMO) we can't afford him.

We don't really NEED him, anyway. Brown and Culliver are both good young corners. Rogers has lost a step but we can get a decent slot corner for a lot less than Revis will command and be fine given the talent in our front seven.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#11 » by and1GS » Fri Feb 1, 2013 5:54 pm

Culliver would start on most teams, though he's shown a lot of immaturity (most notably on that personal foul when Goldson was about to body slam the receiver). Few players are as good as him at defending deep routes, though. Brown has stepped up quite a bit as well.

I'd like to see an upgrade from Brock, but I'm a firm believer that CB, in today's strict passing penalty system, is a position where you can replace guys pretty easily. CBs need great lateral quickness and the ability to keep up with fast receivers on deep routes, in other words they need to be young and fast. If put in the right system most young CBs can do fine.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in

Return to San Francisco 49ers