Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#6681 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 5, 2021 9:09 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:The size difference between those two men is borderline comical. Granted the cop appears to be quite short, and McDowell is 6'6". He's lucky McDowell wasn't really fighting him, but really just trying to tear free of his grasp.

I got to see Reggie White up close and personal at a camp long long ago. He picked up two high school players, one on each arm, and ran 20 yards. Not on his shoulders, not under his arms, on his arms forklift style.

I also saw Michael Carter on the 49ers throw Jesse Sapolu about 5 yards once in camp.

NFL linemen are STROOOOOOOOOONG.

Yeah, History Channel has a sort of goofy show called "Human Weapon," where two dudes go study different martial arts throughout the world for a couple weeks and then one of them competes with an expert in a "friendly" bout. One of the hosts is a guy named Bill Duff, who played OL one year for the Browns in their expansion season before spending some time in NFL Europe - the definition of a fringe NFL player. I only caught one or two episodes, but in one of the episodes, he fought a Greek martial artist who was pretty close to his size, and although he wasn't technically as good as this guy who has been studying the fighting style his whole life, and I think lost on points, he was just borderline physically dominant. If that's the fringe guy, just imagine the blue-chip dudes.

I can’t imagine how strong guys like Quenton Nelson; Mike Iupati, Trent Williams are. I’ve seen them throw guys around with ease.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6682 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 9, 2021 4:17 am

DEDE WESTBROOK
WR, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports "several" teams are interested in free agent WR Dede Westbrook.

Fowler didn't name any teams pursuing Westbrook, though we can assume they are among the NFL's neediest at wide receiver. Westbrook, 27, had back-to-back 66-catch seasons for Jacksonville in 2018 and 2019 before suffering a season-ending knee injury in October 2020. In 2019, he was second on the team with 101 targets. Westbrook could be a serviceable starter if he's fully recovered from his 2020 knee injury.
SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

May 7, 2021, 9:56 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6683 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 9, 2021 11:08 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#6684 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 11, 2021 9:36 pm

Colt Brennan ODed and died at 37. That's awful.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31427087/ex-hawaii-record-setting-qb-colt-brennan-dead-37

Apparently he tried to check in to a detox hours earlier but they didn't have any beds available. Tragic.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6685 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 12, 2021 2:06 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Colt Brennan ODed and died at 37. That's awful.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31427087/ex-hawaii-record-setting-qb-colt-brennan-dead-37

Apparently he tried to check in to a detox hours earlier but they didn't have any beds available. Tragic.

Damn. That’s sad. Condolences to his family.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6686 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon May 17, 2021 4:16 pm

Hadn't seen any discussion about this:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31449350/jawuan-james-considering-grievance-recoup-potential-lost-2021-salary-source-says

NFL saying it is not contractually obligated to pay guys who get hurt away from the team facilities. Gotta say, that's total BS. The NFL doesn't want guys working out away from the facility during the offseason? Uh...right. Sure thing, guys. I hope James does bring a grievance, and that he wins it. If he truly was receiving direction from the coaching staff on how to work out away from the facility, I'd think that's pretty strong evidence that his FO was aware of his actions and endorsed them, though I don't know what the contract language is.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6687 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 17, 2021 4:58 pm

TRENT TAYLOR
WR, CINCINNATI BENGALS

Bengals signed WR Trent Taylor, formerly of the 49ers, to a one-year contract.

The slot receiver who spent his first four years in the NFL with the 49ers will join the Bengals' receiving group after a tryout over the weekend. A fifth rounder in 2017, Taylor, 27, will probably be a special teams player for Cincy, as Tyler Boyd mans the slot. Taylor has had fleeting moments of fantasy relevance. As a rookie, he caught 43 passes for 430 yards with two touchdowns.
SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com

May 17, 2021, 9:54 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6688 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon May 17, 2021 5:06 pm

Could be the next Darren Waller:

KELVIN BENJAMIN
TE, NEW YORK GIANTS

Giants signed TE Kelvin Benjamin.

Out of the league since 2018, Benjamin worked mostly at tight end during his minicamp tryout. It's a low risk flyer for the Giants, who have Evan Engram and Kyle Rudolph locked in two TE sets. A first-round pick by GM Dave Gettleman with the Panthers in 2014, Benjamin faded into a sub-package role with Kansas City before falling out of the league. The Giants are hoping Benjamin can give them a pass-catching backup for Engram, who's missed 14 games over the last four seasons.
SOURCE: NFL Network

May 16, 2021, 9:44 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6689 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri May 21, 2021 11:55 am

TIM TEBOW
TE, JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Tim Tebow officially signed his one-year contract with the Jaguars.

Tebow, 33, hasn't played in a regular-season game in nine years but will reportedly "take on a role besides tight end" assuming he makes the team's roster out of camp. Having previously bruised his way for 12 rushing scores in 14 regular season starts as Denver's starting quarterback, it's possible Urban Meyer views his friend/new weapon as a versatile tool inside the five-yard line. Although there's skepticism Tebow can even make the final roster at his age, run-blocking TE Chris Manhertz is the only competition for him in the room.
SOURCE: Jacksonville Jaguars on Twitter

May 20, 2021, 8:35 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6690 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 22, 2021 9:41 pm

Justin Jefferson Gets Smoked in 40 Yard Dash Competition
By Brett Peterson

https://purpleptsd.com/justin-jefferson-gets-smoked-in-40-yard-dash-competition/amp/
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#6691 » by Jikkle » Mon May 24, 2021 8:50 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Hadn't seen any discussion about this:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31449350/jawuan-james-considering-grievance-recoup-potential-lost-2021-salary-source-says

NFL saying it is not contractually obligated to pay guys who get hurt away from the team facilities. Gotta say, that's total BS. The NFL doesn't want guys working out away from the facility during the offseason? Uh...right. Sure thing, guys. I hope James does bring a grievance, and that he wins it. If he truly was receiving direction from the coaching staff on how to work out away from the facility, I'd think that's pretty strong evidence that his FO was aware of his actions and endorsed them, though I don't know what the contract language is.

It's a thorny issue that the league and NFLPA are going to have to figure out something so players can workout but be protected while doing so.

I think the largest problem is how do we know he or any player that claims they got hurt working out actually got hurt working out.

If a player is riding dirt bikes around his property and breaks his leg than all he would have to say is he got hurt working out. Other issues like if a player is using faulty equipment or improper form could lead to problems as well.

The only thing I can think of is having a team approved facility that you plan on working out at. So if you live in an area and you plan on working out with a trainer at his facility the team can approve it and you'd be covered like you were at their facility.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#6692 » by Jikkle » Mon May 24, 2021 8:56 am

From Kurt Warner and figured I'd post them here as he's going through the NFC West teams and I feel he does a good job at breaking down what he does.

Only have had a chance to watch the first one though and I'm actually surprised at how many plays Wilson missed. Granted it was against a great defense and he just had a bad day but I do question if he reads the field as well as you think he does. Because he really does has games and stretches where he just doesn't seem like he's seeing it.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#6693 » by Jikkle » Mon May 24, 2021 9:00 am

Last one wasn't Warner but I still found it interesting.

Still working my way through his Seahawks defense one so haven't watched the Rams ones yet but looking forward to seeing what he has to say on them and eventually the Cards and 9ers.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#6694 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 24, 2021 1:48 pm

Jikkle wrote:

From Kurt Warner and figured I'd post them here as he's going through the NFC West teams and I feel he does a good job at breaking down what he does.

Only have had a chance to watch the first one though and I'm actually surprised at how many plays Wilson missed. Granted it was against a great defense and he just had a bad day but I do question if he reads the field as well as you think he does. Because he really does has games and stretches where he just doesn't seem like he's seeing it.

The frustrating part of Russ' game. As a fan that watches every game, this happens far too often. It seems that it takes him longer to process/diagnose what's happening. That's why so many plays appear to be off script. Is it a height/vision issue? It definitely plays a factor.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#6695 » by Jikkle » Mon May 24, 2021 6:09 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

The frustrating part of Russ' game. As a fan that watches every game, this happens far too often. It seems that it takes him longer to process/diagnose what's happening. That's why so many plays appear to be off script. Is it a height/vision issue? It definitely plays a factor.

Height plays more of a role than people give it credit for.

I've always felt one reason he holds the ball so long and moves around so much is to give himself a clearer view of the field. I mean there is a reason why short QBs are the exception and not the rule and it's not because the NFL hates short people.

I think one of the dilemmas the Seahawks have is putting Wilson in shotgun could alleviate a lot of the issues that come from his height but one of their best tools is play action so they can't really put him in shotgun all the time.

One thing the bears watching is how well he takes to the new offense that'll ask him to make quicker throws but require him to see the field in order to do so.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6696 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon May 24, 2021 6:15 pm

Haha. I was about to say that I think the height issues get overstated. It does appear to play a part, but on plenty of those looks he had a clear window and just didn't make the right read. I think he's mediocre (at best) at reading the field and the defense, but he can more than compensate with elite throwing, his movement skills, and his ability to run.

Cactus and I had a relatively brief discussion of Wilson playing in a quick-hitting offense a week or two ago. There's some real potential for a more effective offense there, but I just don't know that Wilson can flourish in that type of offense. And at least part of the blame for the offense's struggles - to the extent that they have struggled - falls on his shoulders for failing to execute that offense as drawn up.

Also worth noting that watching that video is exactly why we drafted Trey Lance instead of Justin Fields. Clearly Shanahan thinks that reading of the field is more important than the ability to hit all the throws. It will be interesting to see if he's right.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#6697 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon May 24, 2021 7:52 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Haha. I was about to say that I think the height issues get overstated. It does appear to play a part, but on plenty of those looks he had a clear window and just didn't make the right read. I think he's mediocre (at best) at reading the field and the defense, but he can more than compensate with elite throwing, his movement skills, and his ability to run.

Cactus and I had a relatively brief discussion of Wilson playing in a quick-hitting offense a week or two ago. There's some real potential for a more effective offense there, but I just don't know that Wilson can flourish in that type of offense. And at least part of the blame for the offense's struggles - to the extent that they have struggled - falls on his shoulders for failing to execute that offense as drawn up.

Also worth noting that watching that video is exactly why we drafted Trey Lance instead of Justin Fields. Clearly Shanahan thinks that reading of the field is more important than the ability to hit all the throws. It will be interesting to see if he's right.

I also think he contributes to part of the oline woes. The lineman don't always know where he is going to be. Sometimes I've noticed he will spin into a sack where there was an opportunity to the step up into the pocket and throw. He is at his best when scrambling out of the pocket and extending plays with his legs. I've noticed he doesn't seem to run downfield as much as he is used to. I would agree that part of offensive's inconsistencies falls on him because of all the improvising and off schedule plays does lead to inconsistencies where he can be red hot at times and then struggle. Still the best QB in the division and among the top on the league. Will be interesting to see how he plays as he gets into his 30s and can no longer rely on his athleticism to extend plays. Can he make the transition. People who didn't watch Montana play his whole career don't know just how athletic and mobile Montana was early in his career. Montana ran alot and threw on the run outside the pocket alot. After his back injury he really became far more a pocket passer. Had no choice.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#6698 » by Jikkle » Mon May 24, 2021 8:21 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Haha. I was about to say that I think the height issues get overstated. It does appear to play a part, but on plenty of those looks he had a clear window and just didn't make the right read. I think he's mediocre (at best) at reading the field and the defense, but he can more than compensate with elite throwing, his movement skills, and his ability to run.

Funny because I had Trey Lance on the mind when watching both videos of the Seahawks on offense and defense.

When watching the video on the Seahawks offense (well Wilson basically) I kept thinking that Lance probably takes and makes most of those plays that Warner described as lay-ups.

While watching the one on the Seahawks defense when Warner showed a couple of plays against the 9ers and Beathard I was thinking that's why they went with Lance over Mac Jones. I don't think Lance takes a sack on the first play and he either hits the guy that was open or scrambles for a couple of yards and the second play Lance likely hits the open guys on the second level and not the short pass to Kittle. Might not do it right off the bat since rookies tend to be conservative with their decision-making but I see him growing into hitting those throws.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#6699 » by Jikkle » Mon May 24, 2021 8:31 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

I also think he contributes to part of the oline woes. The lineman don't always know where he is going to be. Sometimes I've noticed he will spin into a sack where there was an opportunity to the step up into the pocket and throw. He is at his best when scrambling out of the pocket and extending plays with his legs. I've noticed he doesn't seem to run downfield as much as he is used to. I would agree that part of offensive's inconsistencies falls on him because of all the improvising and off schedule plays does lead to inconsistencies where he can be red hot at times and then struggle. Still the best QB in the division and among the top on the league. Will be interesting to see how he plays as he gets into his 30s and can no longer rely on his athleticism to extend plays. Can he make the transition. People who didn't watch Montana play his whole career don't know just how athletic and mobile Montana was early in his career. Montana ran alot and threw on the run outside the pocket alot. After his back injury he really became far more a pocket passer. Had no choice.

I played left tackle all throughout high school and I can tell you a guy like Wilson is one of the worst kinds to block for.

When you're pass blocking you have an idea of how long the QB should hold onto the ball based on the play and an idea of where he's going to be in the pocket.

If you can stone the man in front of you than great but most of the time you're doing what you can to direct a guy to where your QB shouldn't be. Most of the time that's wide to the outside which gives your QB a chance to move around in the pocket.

With Wilson you're just not sure where he's going to be at a given time so you could be putting your man in a position that you don't think Wilson will be only to have him scramble right to where you were taking your man.

Also plays that are intended to get the ball out fast usually have blocking to reflect that. If it's' a 3 step drop and ball out you're not going to invest a lot of man power to block since all you want is your lineman to just hold up for a couple of seconds.

Now I'm sure his offensive line is used to Wilson's style of play but it still doesn't make it any less of a pain to block for.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,399

Post#6700 » by Cactus Jack » Mon May 24, 2021 8:46 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:I also think he contributes to part of the oline woes. The lineman don't always know where he is going to be. Sometimes I've noticed he will spin into a sack where there was an opportunity to the step up into the pocket and throw. He is at his best when scrambling out of the pocket and extending plays with his legs. I've noticed he doesn't seem to run downfield as much as he is used to. I would agree that part of offensive's inconsistencies falls on him because of all the improvising and off schedule plays does lead to inconsistencies where he can be red hot at times and then struggle. Still the best QB in the division and among the top on the league. Will be interesting to see how he plays as he gets into his 30s and can no longer rely on his athleticism to extend plays. Can he make the transition. People who didn't watch Montana play his whole career don't know just how athletic and mobile Montana was early in his career. Montana ran alot and threw on the run outside the pocket alot. After his back injury he really became far more a pocket passer. Had no choice.

Yup.

People love to blame the O-line for the amount of sacks that he's taken. Not only is it a lazy take. But they clearly don't watch or understand the game. The fact is that Russ is responsible for a lot of the pressure that he invites. He holds onto the ball a long time. Fifth longest (time) last season among QB's. According to PFF, the Hawks O-line was better than average (14th).

The problem isn't the offensive line. But rather it's been a combination of the offensive scheme & Wilson himself.

They fired OC Brian Schottenheimer back in January. Who ran primarily a version of the Air Coryell offense. It's a scheme that has a lot of long developing plays & down the field throws. Which often means that the QB is required to hang onto the ball longer than say a typical West Coast type of offense.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Return to San Francisco 49ers