ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NFL Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#2841 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 am

Speaking of guys I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole no matter what the scheme I'm running or what I need...

Report: Texans will release Brian Cushing

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/18/report-texans-will-release-brian-cushing/
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#2842 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:06 am

ChrisPozz wrote:Speaking of guys I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole no matter what the scheme I'm running or what I need...

Report: Texans will release Brian Cushing

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/18/report-texans-will-release-brian-cushing/

If he can bring his steroids with him (enough to share), I'm all for it. Sign him up!
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,235

Post#2843 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:04 am

Already 31 and has had two ACLs.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#2844 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:50 am

wco81 wrote:Already 31 and has had two ACLs.

Nothing a pharmacy's worth of PEDs can't fix. :nod:
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#2845 » by Dodub » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:13 am

Jarvis Landry is getting tagged. That’s one I’m happy about because I didn’t want us taking a shot at him. Even though I had predicted that he would end up in Chicago. New prediction is Jordan Matthews to the Bears as slot AND they add another WR in the draft.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#2846 » by NinerSickness » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:42 am

Dodub wrote:Jarvis Landry is getting tagged.

:o Wow. That's a bit of overkill IMO.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2847 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 pm

Read on Twitter
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#2848 » by NinerSickness » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:41 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Signing him makes too much sense.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,235

Post#2849 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:42 pm

If he left the building without giving him a deal, wouldn't it make it easier for other teams to just top the 49ers deal?
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2850 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:04 am

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#2851 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:20 pm

Rams finalizing a deal for Peters!

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#2852 » by NinerSickness » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:08 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Rams finalizing a deal for Peters!

Read on Twitter

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#2853 » by FNQ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Y'all seeing this Jonathan Martin stuff? Crazy.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#2854 » by Bald Bull » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 pm

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#2855 » by NinerSickness » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:35 pm

Bald Bull wrote:Was Martin threatening to become a school shooter?

That'll show Richie Incognito. :-?

...BTW, I was totally right that the Niners should have signed him. :banghead:
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#2856 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Vontae Davis is visiting the Dolphins.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#2857 » by NinerSickness » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:03 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:Vontae Davis is visiting the Dolphins.

:evil:

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2858 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:33 am

Obvious statement: Trumaine Johnson is going to get paid. Like 14+M per...paid. That was true well before today. That is true after today. It doesn't need to be said but I'm on the HARD pass side of that one and the reason for pointing it out. I don't come CLOSE to giving him $14+M per. (14 per would put him no lower than 4th in the league). Sure, you can make yourself feel a little better about things with structure and things like that. Still, hard pass.

You can tie these two guys together since they're topics for discussion in the same day but the thing to point out with the Peters trade is, and again it's an obvious statement, though maybe less obvious to some who don't delve into these things, is that whoever was going to trade for Peters this year is going to have to SHELL out dollars to him next year at the very latest. Educated guess is it could take $16-$17M per to do it if you wait (Norman sets the pace with $15M per).

I like Peters' pure talent far more but Peters fluctuates from being near the top of the list to sometimes sitting at the top of the list of guys that would scare me putting a ton of cash into and having to rely on his make up.

I don't know if there's anybody out there that thinks this'll be overkill from me or not because I HAVE said it for so long but at no point in 2 decades now have I ever been REASONABLY satisfied with the 49ers at the cornerback spot. Obviously you always have to be somewhat reasonable about what you can legitimately have at each spot but it's been one of my biggest problems over the decades with coaching staff to coaching staff to coaching staff. I haven't liked many groups they've brought in year to year, staff to staff.

I say that to point out that I feel like I have a pretty good idea how the cornerback spot works in this league and what you can reasonably expect to have before you start to lose some of your depth and all that. Still, it's been a thorn in my side for so long. I'm not opposed to shelling out top money to a corner. It's not that with Johnson. It's not that with Peters. Johnson, I don't think is for me from a system preference standpoint given what others will probably be willing to pay him and Peters, while I like the package and talent considerably more, is not somebody I'm comfortable sinking big bucks into because of the volatility there.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2859 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:46 am

Oops. I got so long-winded that I didn't include my preliminary thoughts on Vontae.

Liked him as a kid coming in. Was actually one of my targeted guys had they been able to maneuver it in a way that I wanted at the time (long story).

Didn't always agree with the system fit he had early on in his career. Whether or not my preference would've been better, who knows? I just think he had a chance to be a better player than he actually was early on. Obviously he was still pretty good for a while.

The fact I liked him as much as I did early on gives me a bit of interest, especially at a spot that's been a thorn in my personal side, but I'm also a skeptical what he might have left in the tank. I'd probably be a MINOR lean towards the go for it side but I wouldn't make a really, really aggressive offer if that's what he can get. If that takes me out of the running, fine.

I'd also want to spend time with the guy and really do some digging because he's always treaded the line of being a guy who doesn't always rub you the right way with every single thing. (Most players don't). He's FAR, FAR, FAR from a bad guy I think. In fact, there's a lot in his make up that is admirable about him if you dig into his history. But I think there's always been some immaturity there with him that hasn't always rubbed EVERYONE the right way. Granted he's older now so maybe that's less of a thing. I think you'd have to be OK with the idea that he's not going to be right at the top of your roster of guys who are going to consistently go above and beyond the regular call of duty to help, rally, pull together, etc., those around him. I'd also want to talk to him about what he's done with himself to get his body into as good of shape as he can possibly be in given all that he's had wrong with him lately, too. You have to be confident that he's going to fit that bill for you if something could pop up with him.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2860 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:01 am

And obviously what's available at corner this year plays a minor role in my Davis feelings, too. They don't need to find all the answers in one year (this offseason) but obviously just because you like more guys the following year you can't guarantee that any of them will come your way when you want them to.

Again I don't know how much overkill this is for anybody but there are a couple other guys this year I'd like them to be IN on:

Kyle Fuller (Going to get PAID. Big time. I'd be a hard in for a lot).
Morris Claiborne.
T.J. Carrie.
Marcus Williams. (Would come far cheaper but with less expectations at the same time)

Pierre Desir is well below those guys and would only be a flier type. And I'm not sure I'd do it at the expense of losing out on a bunch of the guys in the draft that I want to swing on. (I actually like him more now than I did when he came out. Most probably don't as he was a favorite among many back then. Go figure).

I actually want to say one more thing about Carrie. He's mostly been a slot guy for them and that's where I think a lot of people want to keep him. I'm still intrigued by him as more than a slot guy.

And I still am not done on Jimmie Ward at CB business but that idea likely won't be successful as long as this coaching staff is in place IMO. That's even if they put too much more time in him at any spot.

Return to San Francisco 49ers