Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 957

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#3221 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Rough break for them. They needed him to pan out. Especially now that Bennett is gone. Not sure why professional athletes still ride ATVs at this point. Seems like a disproportionately dangerous activity.

I was reflecting on the Hawks yesterday. They really have needs across the board. The offense is a mess. They are shaky across the OL. They have major question marks at RB. They only have two WRs who are worth anything at this point. They don't have much of anything at TE, though Vannett has some upside at least. I don't think the Niners are a talented roster by any means, but I don't think there's a single offensive position group where I would take the Hawks over the Niners. QB is really the only one that's even open to debate IMO. The defense is better than the offense, of course, as they are still trotting out elite players at LB and FS. Frank Clark is right up there, too. But they also have major question marks across that unit suddenly. And they don't have picks in the second and third rounds of the draft. Combine that with the coaching changes, and we could see a real fall from that team this season. It should make for interesting viewing. I'm curious how they'll bounce back.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#3222 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3223 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:27 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3224 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Here's where things can get contentious between Aaron Rodgers and Packers

https://sports.yahoo.com/heres-things-can-get-contentious-aaron-rodgers-packers-044920881.html
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3225 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Brett Favre failed his ‘Monday Night Football’ audition

https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/brett-favre-failed-his-monday-night-football-audition/

Failed? I admit I have different tastes on most football things these days compared to most people, especially younger folks, but failed? Hmm. I had been telling folks for years Favre would be one of the first people I'd like to try out because I think eventually he could make for an interesting hire.

I would have only had some smaller concerns that, in totality, might add up to a large concern about him in a booth. The smaller, filler moments coming into segments, going out of segments, and between plays would be an unknown to me about Favre that could doom him. He's kind of guarded as a bit until he is REALLY comfortable and then the magic comes through. Pairing him with someone smooth that has a good connection with him would have been my goal to see how he would handle those smaller spots and the in between, dead football moments when he can't turn to analysis, analysis, analysis.

Maybe that was a small part of it. If it was, I could definitely see him showing that he's not ready. If I'm putting myself in a TV execs shoes, that's where I'd have liked to have seen if I could have found the right surroundings for him that would minimize those things until he became more comfortable.

That's actually an area where I think Romo excels at for a new guy. I enjoy a lot of the dead, slower, in between stuff with him even if it's a hair forced sometimes to make it look like how he thinks it's supposed to look. He was someone I was in agreement on that should make for a good to possibly eventually great announcer/analyst down the road.

I always questioned if Favre would want to put in the work it takes to be a really good booth/analysis guy either. That had been my biggest concern first and foremost because the actual booth stuff. Is he going to be a good meeting guy on a Wednesday? Is he going to want to do the travel? Is he going to require special treatment in order to get him into a booth to do the hard stuff (Hello, Al Michaels)?

--------------------------------------------

Rex Ryan, one of my favorite football people ever, I can not see ever being a great booth guy. Even if you pair him with an outstanding partner that suits him I don't see it happening for him. Rex is REALLY smart, and I probably give him more credit and leeway for being able to eventually figure out a lot of things on the TV side, but the feelings I get from him early on do not strike me as a guy that would make for a good both hire. I probably would pass on putting extra energy into trying to make him a booth guy.

I'm all in on Greg Olsen. With him there are times where it still feels a LITTLE forced like he's trying to do things to make it feel like he's an announcer but he doesn't do it in a way that bothers me or where it's too distracting. I think he's one of the next guys coming up who has a chance to be a star announcer.

Louis Riddick, one of my favorite football people, even though I'm not usually in agreement with him on player evals/rankings, is another guy that should OBVIOUSLY be one of the next ones under consideration. Riddick's style is completely his own. I don't yet have a strong opinion on the Monday Night booth specifically and how he'd handle specific partners but just because I like and respect him so much, even without the player eval stuff, he'd be up there, too. It's not often I disagree with a guy so much on player evals that I still love to hear from them as much as I do but Riddick is that guy. Probably because even if stylistically I don't agree with him I know where he's coming from better than a lot of guys and I know it's coming from a solid place and I kind of know what he's looking at and where it's coming from.

The biggest thing about Riddick I would tell TV guys is don't go in trying to make him fit into a typical cookie cutter announcer. If he comes off as different let it be. Not that he shouldn't work on typical things. But I think if you hire RIddick or give him his shot it's GOING to look different than almost anybody out there going these days. Let that stuff take over, within reason. Those areas are where you get the brilliant Louis Riddick.

Warner and Hasselbeck are OK. They rarely WOW me with just about anything but at the same time they rarely say stuff that I think is so beyond stupid or makes them embarrassing in their roles. I don't think they'd be complete flops. I think they'd make OK substitute announcers if you ever needed a guy on short notice in a pinch. I just think you could do a lot better, and a lot worse, than them, too.

The Randy Moss stuff. The Charles Woodson stuff. Those are such bad options I still have a hard time actually believing that they are under consideration by anybody who has control of this stuff. Seriously. I'm not trying to be THAT guy that exaggerates this stuff for effect. They are awful. I just don't know how in the world ANYONE could say they should be in an announcing booth (or in an analyst role in a TV studio) and it being a good idea. I know the ability to reach the youth of today goes a long way these days with a lot of these TV execs, and apparently that's where Randy really takes off for some of these people, but it just blows my mind that either has been mentioned. Even though I really don't think in the end it'll come close to happening.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#3226 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:17 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Rough break for them. They needed him to pan out. Especially now that Bennett is gone. Not sure why professional athletes still ride ATVs at this point. Seems like a disproportionately dangerous activity.

I was reflecting on the Hawks yesterday. They really have needs across the board. The offense is a mess. They are shaky across the OL. They have major question marks at RB. They only have two WRs who are worth anything at this point. They don't have much of anything at TE, though Vannett has some upside at least. I don't think the Niners are a talented roster by any means, but I don't think there's a single offensive position group where I would take the Hawks over the Niners. QB is really the only one that's even open to debate IMO. The defense is better than the offense, of course, as they are still trotting out elite players at LB and FS. Frank Clark is right up there, too. But they also have major question marks across that unit suddenly. And they don't have picks in the second and third rounds of the draft. Combine that with the coaching changes, and we could see a real fall from that team this season. It should make for interesting viewing. I'm curious how they'll bounce back.

The Hawks are really starting to pay the price for their poor drafting and free agent decisions since 2013 just like the 49ers did from Baalke's poor drafts. I am not writing them off completely and they might still be competitive if Wilson can continue pulling off his Houdini act. Their defense will not be as dominant as they used to be but even with Norton as DC I still think the defense will be okay as long as Carroll is the HC. The big question for them will be on offense with Shottemheimer as OC. He doesn't exactly have a good track record and it is question how well the seahawks adjust and perform to his scheme
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#3227 » by NinerSickness » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:16 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

On of the all-time great last names in sports.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3228 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:54 pm

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3229 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Michael Bennett read books during Seahawks team meetings in 2017

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/19/michael-bennett-read-books-during-seahawks-team-meetings-in-2017/

I'd be the last guy on earth to think that shenanigans don't happen in team meetings. That'd be stupid to think he's the the only one that's pulled something on this scale. But if you're somebody that wants more evidence to the idea that he is somebody that is completely unwatchable or that you can't root for anything he does, this is another item in a long list of them you could present to someone assuming it's true.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3230 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:27 pm

USA TODAY Sports NFL agent poll: Redskins, Bruce Allen get low marks on preparedness, trust

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/19/nfl-agent-poll-bruce-allen-redskins-bill-belichick-demaurice-smith/528741002/

I'll repeat/highlight: 25 AGENTS were asked these questions.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3231 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:33 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:USA TODAY Sports NFL agent poll: Redskins, Bruce Allen get low marks on preparedness, trust

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/19/nfl-agent-poll-bruce-allen-redskins-bill-belichick-demaurice-smith/528741002/

Which team is prepared during contract negotiations the best?

1. 49ers
2. Eagles
3. Patriots
4. Broncos
5. Packers

I should have played my own game and guessed which teams would be up there. Honestly I think I could have gotten 4 out of these 5 pretty quickly and the Packers would've been one of my first 10 guesses. Maybe not first 5. Probably would have bumped them down since Ted Thompson's restructuring but they'd have still come out of my mouth pretty quickly. The rest don't shock me one bit just based on the reading I've done over the years. Kind of a neat thing.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 957

Post#3232 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:25 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:USA TODAY Sports NFL agent poll: Redskins, Bruce Allen get low marks on preparedness, trust

1. 49ers
2. Eagles
3. Patriots
4. Broncos
5. Packers

I should have played my own game and guessed which teams would be up there. Honestly I think I could have gotten 4 out of these 5 pretty quickly and the Packers would've been one of my first 10 guesses. Maybe not first 5. Probably would have bumped them down since Ted Thompson's restructuring but they'd have still come out of my mouth pretty quickly. The rest don't shock me one bit just based on the reading I've done over the years. Kind of a neat thing.

A little surprised to see that Elway is one of the least trusted.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3233 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:07 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:

1. 49ers
2. Eagles
3. Patriots
4. Broncos
5. Packers

A little surprised to see that Elway is one of the least trusted.

Same here.

He's kind of put himself into his own little category for me league wide. I really liked a number of things he was doing right away when he got his spot but it's progressively gotten worse TO ME over time. The contrast between my feelings on some of what they've gotten in FA and done with their own guys and what they've done in the draft lately is also pretty striking and I don't know if I can find another comparison for it in recent times. It's really quite odd. Years ago I was getting pretty envious towards them having him lead things but it's at the point where I'd be kind of scared if he were my guy. Just a very odd situation that's hard to compare to anything else I've studied.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3234 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3235 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:04 pm

Report: 49ers and Raiders to play Thursday night game Week 9

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/19/report-49ers-and-raiders-to-play-thursday-night-game-week-9/?utm_source=49ersWebZone&utm_medium=tw&utm_campaign=sports

Full schedule with dates and times released tonight if you were unaware yet.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3236 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Read on Twitter

That'll be the interesting one because of the distance traveled on that trip. The Chiefs, Vikings, and Packers are the only other three teams this year where they'll have to travel too far away unless they make the playoffs.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3237 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Believe that makes 49ers/Packers in week 6.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3238 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#3239 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:57 am

Read on Twitter