Around the NFL Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#4101 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Cardinals Grab Vance Joseph As Defensive Coordinator

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/cardinals-grab-vance-joseph-as-defensive-coordinator

Joseph is a hell of a coach and a "get" for Kingsbury if Joseph isn't given any weird mandates and can be himself IMO.

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4102 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:54 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Today is Ozzie Newsome's last day as general manager and then Eric DeCosta officially takes over as well.

Today it was announced that Marty has chosen to leave the team than stay on in a new role. Might already feel good about his chances elsewhere or maybe he wants to take some time off.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4103 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4104 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ok, solid, solid hire for the start.

Recap: Kubiak as a head coach WAS on my all-time candidate list. One of the only guys on his coaching tree that I have fallen for and would make exceptions on for a hire because of his passing game acumen.

Here's what I've said for a while about Kubiak, though. If you're smart and realistic you ALWAYS have to be prepared that you might lose Kubiak earlier than you would like because of his health/personal situation(s). So if you are going to hire him and take on that risk, you have to have a transition in place that you are comfortable with because it always feels like it could be "not for long" with him. Now maybe something recently with him has changed and he has communicated to them that it's less of a risk than it has been in the past. I don't know that yet. But I'll be curious to see the guys underneath Kubiak because you might be forced to ask them to take on more faster than you might like if nothing has changed with him.

In the last two coaching cycles, in the broad, general sense without knowing who else I'm tied to with owner/GM and all that, if you told me you could give me a Fangio-Kubiak pairing, I'd have been pretty darn ecstatic with that GIVEN WHO IS AVAILABLE these days in the current state of the league (garbage coaches everywhere).

Read on Twitter

Ouch. I'll be curious to see if that means Klint Kubiak (Gary's oldest son) will not be back on staff either now or if that somehow had a small part in it.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4105 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4106 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:06 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4107 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4108 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:19 am

Read on Twitter

Modkins was Chip Kelly's offensive coordinator in his 1-year in SF.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4109 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 am

A summary of another development that actually happened today:

Albert Breer tweets "Source: The Dolphins are expected to hire Patriots LBs coach Brian Flores as head coach after New England's season ends.

Clarence Hill Jr., a Dallas Cowboys writer since 1997, and a very respected one at that, sees it, and tweets: "Kris Richard and the rest of the black coaches getting shut out. The NFL is not looking good right now. Kaepernick got a job yet?"

Oh, boy!

Then Clarence Hill tweets:

Read on Twitter

Oh, boy! It bugs the heck out of me that Clarence Hill probably didn't know who Brian Flores is more than anything. (I'd have posted it all in tweets but he deleted the original one)

And if someone/people want to discuss the larger point of minority coaches in the league, that's fine. I'm not saying what I'm saying to minimize that.

It just blows my mind you'd tweet that if you don't know who Flores is.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#4110 » by NinerSickness » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:15 am

ChrisPozz wrote:It just blows my mind you'd tweet that if you don't know who Flores is.

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#4111 » by NinerSickness » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:18 am

ChrisPozz wrote:And if someone/people want to discuss the larger point of minority coaches in the league, that's fine. I'm not saying what I'm saying to minimize that.

The only thing to be said about that is that the NFL is the purest form of meritocracy on planet earth. Especially with millions of dollars at stake for every move an organization makes. People who play the race card like this are completely disingenuous.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#4112 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:41 am

NinerSickness wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:And if someone/people want to discuss the larger point of minority coaches in the league, that's fine. I'm not saying what I'm saying to minimize that.

The only thing to be said about that is that the NFL is the purest form of meritocracy on planet earth. Especially with millions of dollars at stake for every move an organization makes. People who play the race card like this are completely disingenuous.

Maybe on the field. Though if that was truly the case, Kaepernick would be playing over guys like Nathan Peterman and Blaine Gabbert - granted I don't think that's a race thing as such. In the coaching ranks? Not sure I agree with that. And that's talking about the meritocracy more than the race issue, per se. How many bad coaches get shot after shot? How much nepotism do we see in the coaching ranks? It's not close to a pure meritocracy IMO.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#4113 » by NinerSickness » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:18 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Maybe on the field. Though if that was truly the case, Kaepernick would be playing over guys like Nathan Peterman and Blaine Gabbert

1. Kaepernick already lost out to Gabbert.
2. Kaepernick watched 1/4 the game video Gabbert did.
3. Kaepernick can't read a defense or make multiple reads; the league figured him out.
4. Kaepernick f***ed Aldon Smith's girlfriend, which led to the DUI that ended his 49er career.
5. Kaepernick was eventually hated in the locker room toward the end of his tenure in SF.

If Kaepernick could help a team win, he'd still be playing. But he sucks. Backup QBs need to be completely team-first guys who encourage the people around them; and they also need to be able to read a defense.

CrimsonCrew wrote:In the coaching ranks? Not sure I agree with that. And that's talking about the meritocracy more than the race issue, per se. How many bad coaches get shot after shot? How much nepotism do we see in the coaching ranks? It's not close to a pure meritocracy IMO.

Name a black head coach who was fired & didn't deserve to get fired. I can't think of any.

Mike Tomlin is a winner, so he has a job. It's that simple. Wouldn't matter if he were a white dude.
Ozzie Newsome was a winner, so he kept his job.
Singletary & Tomsula were essentially the same guy, and they both met the same fate. Meritocracy.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#4114 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:20 am

NBA has a MUCH BETTER record not only with minority coaches -- head coaches and assistants -- but also in the front office.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#4115 » by NinerSickness » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 am

wco81 wrote:NBA has a MUCH BETTER record not only with minority coaches -- head coaches and assistants -- but also in the front office.

"Better record?" That's a myopic way of looking at it. The NBA has better black talent at the top than the NFL does, and that has nothing to do with how the NBA looks at race. Guys like Vance Joseph, Steve Wilks & Todd Bowles all had their chance to shine, and they proved that they just weren't all that great (especially Vance). Marvin Lewis had 16 chances to shine.

Owners aren't going to throw millions of dollars away on an inferiour guy because he's white when they know they could get a better coach who's black. That's ridiculous.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#4116 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:58 am

NinerSickness wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Maybe on the field. Though if that was truly the case, Kaepernick would be playing over guys like Nathan Peterman and Blaine Gabbert

1. Kaepernick already lost out to Gabbert.
2. Kaepernick watched 1/4 the game video Gabbert did.
3. Kaepernick can't read a defense or make multiple reads; the league figured him out.
4. Kaepernick f***ed Aldon Smith's girlfriend, which led to the DUI that ended his 49er career.
5. Kaepernick was eventually hated in the locker room toward the end of his tenure in SF.

If Kaepernick could help a team win, he'd still be playing. But he sucks. Backup QBs need to be completely team-first guys who encourage the people around them; and they also need to be able to read a defense.

CrimsonCrew wrote:In the coaching ranks? Not sure I agree with that. And that's talking about the meritocracy more than the race issue, per se. How many bad coaches get shot after shot? How much nepotism do we see in the coaching ranks? It's not close to a pure meritocracy IMO.

Name a black head coach who was fired & didn't deserve to get fired. I can't think of any.

Mike Tomlin is a winner, so he has a job. It's that simple. Wouldn't matter if he were a white dude.
Ozzie Newsome was a winner, so he kept his job.
Singletary & Tomsula were essentially the same guy, and they both met the same fate. Meritocracy.

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4117 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4118 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:50 pm

That Chris Jones vs. Quenton Nelson rep there with Jones hands all over his facemask and batting it down was fantastically hilarious. Fun.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#4119 » by Ray_Dogg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:54 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Too rich for my blood. Highest I would go is a 2020 third round pick.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4120 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Jabaal Sheard, now with the Colts, has consistently been a favorite of mine since before he entered the league and really has developed into a more complete player as time has gone on IMO. Better sack numbers as a Brown but a far better overall player since going to NE and then IND.

Collinsworth, shockingly, called him their best player on defense. I wouldn't go that far but he's definitely underappreciated.

Return to San Francisco 49ers