Around the NFL Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#4941 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:09 pm

Report: Vikings getting calls on Kyle Rudolph, Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/27/report-vikings-getting-calls-on-kyle-rudolph-xavier-rhodes-trae-waynes/

I still am wondering what they'd take for Rhodes. Whether the medical checks out enough is another story.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4942 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:51 pm

It’s time for the NFL to take draft picks from teams whose players get in trouble

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/27/its-time-for-the-nfl-to-take-draft-picks-from-teams-whose-players-get-in-trouble/

Whether they SHOULD is not something I feel like getting into.

But I'm posting this because it's something I've made reference to in the past and something they've never really used. It was big when the Cincinnati Bengals were in the news for an off-the-field issue every other day it felt like and nothing ever came from it.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#4943 » by Jikkle » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:09 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:It’s time for the NFL to take draft picks from teams whose players get in trouble

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/27/its-time-for-the-nfl-to-take-draft-picks-from-teams-whose-players-get-in-trouble/

Whether they SHOULD is not something I feel like getting into.

But I'm posting this because it's something I've made reference to in the past and something they've never really used. It was big when the Cincinnati Bengals were in the news for an off-the-field issue every other day it felt like and nothing ever came from it.

Not a fan of this at all and it's a bit of a double standard on the media.

On the one hand they want the NFL and teams treated like any other business but than they demand the NFL and teams be moral arbiters and take political and moral stands.

Don't get me wrong I'm not defending some of these actual scumbags that are playing but I don't think teams should be punished for a grown mans actions.

Also I'd hate to see someone that screwed up, got himself right, and matured not get his shot because teams are scared they might lose picks if he gets into trouble again.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#4944 » by NinerSickness » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:19 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Report: Vikings getting calls on Kyle Rudolph, Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/27/report-vikings-getting-calls-on-kyle-rudolph-xavier-rhodes-trae-waynes/

I still am wondering what they'd take for Rhodes. Whether the medical checks out enough is another story.

Trade for all of them! The only way Lynch should ever be able to aquire a player is via a trade. He sucks at the other 2 methods.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4945 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:09 am

NinerSickness wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:Report: Vikings getting calls on Kyle Rudolph, Xavier Rhodes, Trae Waynes

Trade for all of them! The only way Lynch should ever be able to aquire a player is via a trade. He sucks at the other 2 methods.

You can thank Director of Pro Player Personnel Ran Carthon in large part for that one. Small applause for his two pro personnel scouts underneath him as well - R.J. Gillen and A.J. Highsmith.

Highsmith is seen among many in the league as a rising star and could get a promotion at some point soon.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#4946 » by NinerSickness » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:33 am

ChrisPozz wrote:You can thank Director of Pro Player Personnel Ran Carthon in large part for that one. Small applause for his two pro personnel scouts underneath him as well - R.J. Gillen and A.J. Highsmith.

Highsmith is seen among many in the league as a rising star and could get a promotion at some point soon.

So Lynch is completely useless. Got it. :noway:
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#4947 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 4, 2019 4:46 pm

One of my favorite draft prospects that I’ve evaluated over the years.

DERRICK JOHNSON
LB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Former Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson retired following 14 seasons in the NFL.

The No. 15 overall pick by the Chiefs way back in 2005, Johnson spent 13 of his 14 seasons in Kansas City before a brief stop in Oakland last year. A First Team All-Pro selection in 2011, Johnson was one of the best linebackers in the league during his prime, and he retires as the Chiefs' all-time tackle leader. In addition to those stops, Johnson added 27.5 sacks and 14 interceptions throughout his career. He should find himself in Kansas City's Ring of Honor in the near future.
SOURCE: 610 Sports Radio

May 2, 2019, 10:45 AM ET
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#4948 » by ChrisPozz » Mon May 6, 2019 7:00 pm

Mike Mayock: Only fired three scouts, and then only after draft

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/06/mike-mayock-only-fired-three-scouts-and-then-only-after-draft/

Dave McCloughan, brother of Scot McCloughan, got his start as a 49ers scout shortly after his playing career was over.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#4949 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 7, 2019 11:14 pm

JPP may miss season with fracture in his neck. This guy....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26692261/sources-jpp-fractured-neck-miss-19
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#4950 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed May 8, 2019 6:33 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:JPP may miss season with fracture in his neck. This guy....

Saw this news earlier this morning and I said the same thing. Smh. The man has the worst luck ever. I know it’s probably not the case but he doesn’t seem like he cares for his career. Whereas someone like Tyler Eiffert who is totally committed to the game and isn’t taking each day for granted, seems like he can’t get a break.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#4951 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 8, 2019 3:34 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:JPP may miss season with fracture in his neck. This guy....

Saw this news earlier this morning and I said the same thing. Smh. The man has the worst luck ever. I know it’s probably not the case but he doesn’t seem like he cares for his career. Whereas someone like Tyler Eiffert who is totally committed to the game and isn’t taking each day for granted, seems like he can’t get a break.

I don't know that blowing up your hand with a firecracker or flipping your car in a single-car accident qualifies as bad luck. Seems to call into question his decision-making process.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#4952 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed May 8, 2019 7:22 pm

Summer tires in rain is a recipe for disaster. You have to be going less than 65mph and definitely not in the fast lane by the median. This is his fault.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#4953 » by Bald Bull » Thu May 9, 2019 10:10 pm

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#4954 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu May 9, 2019 10:36 pm

No surprise on Chancellor, and the Baldwin news has been out for a while, but was a surprise to me when it first broke. Big losses for that franchise, though. More and more, they are becoming a team in Russell Wilson's image. That wouldn't be the way I would want to go, but we'll see how it works for them. I don't like his consistency, but with a strong ground game and some deep threats (which they certainly have now), and a Pete Carroll D that always seems to outperform expectations, the Hawks should be in the hunt.

I have a lot of respect for Doug Baldwin the player, but I never cared for him at all as a guy. Said and did a lot of dumb stuff over the years.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,457

Post#4955 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 9, 2019 11:29 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:No surprise on Chancellor, and the Baldwin news has been out for a while, but was a surprise to me when it first broke. Big losses for that franchise, though. More and more, they are becoming a team in Russell Wilson's image. That wouldn't be the way I would want to go, but we'll see how it works for them. I don't like his consistency, but with a strong ground game and some deep threats (which they certainly have now), and a Pete Carroll D that always seems to outperform expectations, the Hawks should be in the hunt.

I have a lot of respect for Doug Baldwin the player, but I never cared for him at all as a guy. Said and did a lot of dumb stuff over the years.

Sorry but I read your post & just had to stop & comment.

Kind of an odd take, but I understand that he's not exactly a fan favorite in Niner land. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#4956 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu May 9, 2019 11:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:No surprise on Chancellor, and the Baldwin news has been out for a while, but was a surprise to me when it first broke. Big losses for that franchise, though. More and more, they are becoming a team in Russell Wilson's image. That wouldn't be the way I would want to go, but we'll see how it works for them. I don't like his consistency, but with a strong ground game and some deep threats (which they certainly have now), and a Pete Carroll D that always seems to outperform expectations, the Hawks should be in the hunt.

Sorry but I read your post & just had to stop & comment.

Kind of an odd take, but I understand that he's not exactly a fan favorite in Niner land. :wink:

We'll see how things go, but atm I like not having to worry about the QB position going forward.

Russell Wilson the person kind of kills me, and I think the more established players the team loses, the more this element might prove problematic. I don't think his teammates are crazy about him. The player...I'm mixed. I'll start with a caveat: I used to watch a lot of Seattle games (lived in Seattle from 2006-2012), but I've watched fewer and fewer lately. I think I really only saw the Niner games this year. Having said that, Wilson is obviously very talented, and he has continued to develop as a passer as he's been in the league. But he's still overly reliant on broken plays/big plays IMO. Not nearly to the extent that he used to be, but he doesn't execute designed plays that way I would want my QB to do so. Sure, it's nit-picking to an extent. He's still a top-10 QB, and very likely better than that. But I'll take a Tom Brady or Joe Montana over a Brett Favre every time, and I think WIlson falls more in the latter category.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4957 » by Cactus Jack » Thu May 9, 2019 11:43 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Russell Wilson the person kind of kills me, and I think the more established players the team loses, the more this element might prove problematic. I don't think his teammates are crazy about him. The player...I'm mixed. I'll start with a caveat: I used to watch a lot of Seattle games (lived in Seattle from 2006-2012), but I've watched fewer and fewer lately. I think I really only saw the Niner games this year. Having said that, Wilson is obviously very talented, and he has continued to develop as a passer as he's been in the league. But he's still overly reliant on broken plays/big plays IMO. Not nearly to the extent that he used to be, but he doesn't execute designed plays that way I would want my QB to do so. Sure, it's nit-picking to an extent. He's still a top-10 QB, and very likely better than that. But I'll take a Tom Brady or Joe Montana over a Brett Favre every time, and I think WIlson falls more in the latter category.

I understand your argument.

Is he Tom Brady? No. Is he perfect? No. But, I don't think we have to really worry about the position going forward, thankfully.

Here's the thing tho: For as long as Pete is around, they will never fully try to rely on Russ (Good or Bad) solely to win games. That's never been his philosophy. Running the ball & Playing solid defensively has always been his first M-O. Quite frankly, Russ thrives when he has those elements to work with. This past year being a prime example as far as his efficiency goes.

All that being said, losing Baldwin is definitely a blow. Lockett really stepped up last year in his absence. But, Doug has always been extremely reliable & one of the better slot guys in the league for a good while. :(

Losing Baldwin means....Lockett, Metcalf (Rookie), & Jennings (Rookie) are the likely starters at this point.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,257

Post#4958 » by wco81 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:06 am

Wilson has meant a lot to the franchise.

But I recall Greg Cossell seemed t9 raise an eyebrow when he heard about the new deal. He said last year, the Hawks clearly moved away from relying on Wilson to generate offense as shown by the play calling.

But if they don’t expect big production for that salary — certainly nothing in the range of numbers that a QB like Brees or Mahomes will put up — Wilson will be the face of the franchise, the guy who sells tickets.

I’m surprised no comment about the Ansah sign8ng. Some wanted the 49ers to sign him.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#4959 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 10, 2019 4:48 am

wco81 wrote:Wilson will be the face of the franchise, the guy who sells tickets, and wins games.

Fify :wink:

wco81 wrote:I’m surprised no comment about the Ansah sign8ng. Some wanted the 49ers to sign him.

If healthy, it's a great signing.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#4960 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Yeah, I was surprised the Ansah signing didn't create more buzz here. I wasn't on the Ansah bandwagon, though the contract they signed him for seems pretty team-friendly. His sack numbers tend to be much better than his pressure numbers, though, which often indicates they are unreliable - hence two sacks in 13 starts in 2016 vs. 12 in 14 starts in 2017. But for a prove-it deal, especially for a team that DESPERATELY needs edge players (speaking as a fan of a team that actually used Cassius Marsh as a primary pass rusher last year - the situation the Hawks may have just avoided - I feel uniquely suited to addressing how ugly that can be), it's a solid signing.

Return to San Francisco 49ers