ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NFL Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#5061 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jun 7, 2019 10:59 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:This is why I wanted him this offseason. I think the light has finally switched on for this man:

DEVANTE PARKER
WR, MIAMI DOLPHINS

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson writes DeVante Parker "has been the best player in camp the past five weeks."

"If he played like this in games consistently, he would be a Pro Bowler," Jackson continued. It must be the offseason. Parker also received glowing reviews for his offseason work last year, and he parlayed that performance into 24 catches for 309 yards and a touchdown in 11 games. It is possible everything finally clicks for the former first-rounder, but he cannot be treated as anything more than a late-round flier.
SOURCE: Miami Herald

Jun 6, 2019, 11:01 AM ET

I'll believe it when I see it on the field. This guy has been a disaster to date, and his last season was an absolute train wreck.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#5062 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Jun 8, 2019 2:04 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:This is why I wanted him this offseason. I think the light has finally switched on for this man:

DEVANTE PARKER
WR, MIAMI DOLPHINS

The Miami Herald's Barry Jackson writes DeVante Parker "has been the best player in camp the past five weeks."

"If he played like this in games consistently, he would be a Pro Bowler," Jackson continued. It must be the offseason. Parker also received glowing reviews for his offseason work last year, and he parlayed that performance into 24 catches for 309 yards and a touchdown in 11 games. It is possible everything finally clicks for the former first-rounder, but he cannot be treated as anything more than a late-round flier.
SOURCE: Miami Herald

Jun 6, 2019, 11:01 AM ET

Familiar story. Forgive me if I don't buy in to it.

May 6th, 2017

Read on Twitter

---------------------------

May 19th, 2017

DeVante Parker, fed up with always being injured, is expecting ‘a big season’

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article151490467.html

Christensen then amped up the expectations for Parker this year, saying: “I really think he’ll have a great, big year — a gigantic year for us. That would be huge.”

---------------------------

May 22nd, 2017

The most improved Miami Dolphins player this offseason is ....

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article151925887.html

I am told by multiple sources Parker has been so impressive this offseason he has coaches hopeful he can finally develop into the dominant threat the Dolphins were expecting when they drafted him in the first round in 2015.

----

And even if all that happens, will Parker carry everything he’s learning and his approach into the season when all these learned skills need to become instinctive? No one knows.

But the Dolphins have good vibes about this. They’re hopeful.

---------------------------------------

June 7th, 2017

Fantasy football breakout alert: Miami Dolphins WR DeVante Parker

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/06/07/fantasy-football-breakout-alert-miami-dolphins-wr-devante-parker/

“It’d be consistency,” Christensen said. “He’s run fast every day where last year it was kind of up and down. One day you’d think you had a Hall of Famer and the next you weren’t sure if he was going to make it to the game. Just his health and staying consistent. I think his routine and how fast he’s played has been really, really different from last year.”

June 13th, 2017

Parker ready to back up coaches’ high expectations; Dolphins notes

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article155924349.html

March 27th, 2018

Miami Dolphins: Is time up on DeVante Parker’s upside and potential?

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2018/03/27/miami-dolphins-is-time-up-on-devante-parkers-upside-and-potential/

“I would say I feel like we know what he can do, in our building,” Gase said. “I don’t think there is any question what anybody feels he can do. I don’t even think it’s a potential thing. I think it’s a health thing. I think it’s just about however we can keep him healthy. I think that’s when we get our best DeVante Parker. So I think we’re trying to do as much as we can to figure out a way that when we hit spring we start from there and keep building on it. It’s just unpredictable. We need a little bit of luck. We need him to do the right things. And he has been. He’s been trying to do everything the right way. And it’s just kind of have to see where the chips fall.”

May 10th, 2018

Miami Dolphins’ Adam Gase: DeVante Parker approaching offseason with purpose

“He’s done a great job so far this offseason,” Gase told The Audible, a Miami Dolphins podcast. “He’s really been one of the guys that has tried to do things on his own. He doesn’t need someone to hold his hand and take him here and say eat like this and do this. He’s doing things on his own. And that comes with maturity, too. He was drafted young. And he’s been doing it now. This is his fourth season. Sometimes it takes a second to say OK I know how to do this. And I’ve been doing it. And I don’t need someone to tell me I need to do this. He is doing things on his own. And trying to find ways to get better on the field. I think he has more of a purpose when he comes out on the field.”

--------------------------------------------

His injury history:

Legs (they actually listed it as "legs" on the injury report)
Hamstring (four times and to both sides)
Back (suffered vs. 49ers)
Foot (at least three separate occasions, one being a foot scar tissue tear and has had surgery for a foot fracture)
Hamstring
Ankle sprain (three times)
Broken finger
Quad strain
Shoulder (AC joint sprain)

Maybe this is it for him but forgive me if I've heard the excitement before from folks. At the same time, I'm not going to fault anybody too much if they still would've liked to see an injury prone player added over a guy like Trent Taylor or something along those lines.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#5063 » by wco81 » Sat Jun 8, 2019 4:40 am

ChrisPozz wrote:With Wentz's contract extension, Jimmy G. now has the 7th highest average per year salary in the NFL.

1. Wilson - 35M/year
2. Roethlisberger - 34M
3. Rodgers - 33.5M
4. Wentz - 32M
5. Ryan - 30M
6. Cousins - 28M
7. Garoppolo - 27.5M
8. Stafford - 27M
T-9. Brees - 25M
T-9. Carr - 25M
11. Luck - 24.594M
12. Alex Smith - 23.5M

Then you finally get to Mack and Donald. (Flacco, Foles, Manning are next).

Garoppolo's cap hits fluctuate between 26.6M and 27M after this year while the quarterbacks ahead of him all accelerate at a much higher rate than that as well. (Obviously there's a benefit there since there's far more projecting/hoping to do with Garoppolo than with some of those other guys who are steadier and more proven).

How much was Rothlisberger making when he won his SBs?

May have still been on his rookie contract for both of them if not one.

I believe no SB winner has had a payer earning over $20-25 million in that season.

But teams will keep paying starters these huge salaries because ultimately a team's revenues isn't affected that much whether they win the SB or not. Of course if they only win like 4 or 5 games at most, gate receipts will suffer. But teams with QBs making top money will win just enough games to keep the fans coming to games and tuning in.

So these days, teams pretty much have to win before their stars reach their second or third contracts.

Maybe Wentz will break the pattern but I doubt it.
SeaNinersFan
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#5064 » by SeaNinersFan » Sat Jun 8, 2019 11:51 pm

wco81 wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:With Wentz's contract extension, Jimmy G. now has the 7th highest average per year salary in the NFL.

1. Wilson - 35M/year
2. Roethlisberger - 34M
3. Rodgers - 33.5M
4. Wentz - 32M
5. Ryan - 30M
6. Cousins - 28M
7. Garoppolo - 27.5M
8. Stafford - 27M
T-9. Brees - 25M
T-9. Carr - 25M
11. Luck - 24.594M
12. Alex Smith - 23.5M

Then you finally get to Mack and Donald. (Flacco, Foles, Manning are next).

Garoppolo's cap hits fluctuate between 26.6M and 27M after this year while the quarterbacks ahead of him all accelerate at a much higher rate than that as well. (Obviously there's a benefit there since there's far more projecting/hoping to do with Garoppolo than with some of those other guys who are steadier and more proven).

How much was Rothlisberger making when he won his SBs?

May have still been on his rookie contract for both of them if not one.

I believe no SB winner has had a payer earning over $20-25 million in that season.

But teams will keep paying starters these huge salaries because ultimately a team's revenues isn't affected that much whether they win the SB or not. Of course if they only win like 4 or 5 games at most, gate receipts will suffer. But teams with QBs making top money will win just enough games to keep the fans coming to games and tuning in.

So these days, teams pretty much have to win before their stars reach their second or third contracts.

Maybe Wentz will break the pattern but I doubt it.

I don't think making the $ comp is the right one as the cap keeps rising year after year. 10 years ago the cap was $128M, so a $25M contract would have been 19.5% of the cap, vs. ~13.3% of the cap this year. but it would be interesting to see what the highest % of the salary cap of SB winners was.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#5065 » by wco81 » Sun Jun 9, 2019 12:02 am

Right, QB salaries are going up because the cap is going up.

But I don’t think teams are using some strict percentage of the cap. QBs and agents want to beat the last contract signed so salaries are probably going up faster than the cap.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5066 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Jun 9, 2019 3:57 am

Todd McShay says he may leave ESPN for Jets’ front office

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/08/todd-mcshay-says-he-may-leave-espn-for-jets-front-office/

There was a LOT less people doing draft work back when he started so keep that in mind but about when he started at ESPN - around 2006 - there wasn't too many people that bothered me more than McShay for a whole host of reasons. And I've been doing draft work since 1998 so I have a somewhat deep catalog of guys I could stack him up against.

I didn't think he was very good at what he was being asked to do and I routinely called him out with folks for many different things he'd say and put out there. I was VERY hard on the guy and thought they could do so much better. (Back then I thought the difference between him and Kiper was a country mile and I've never been in love with Kiper).

Then in the last 3 years or so I would say the unthinkable happened with him for me. I actually started to develop some respect for the guy. I still don't agree with some of his rankings as much as I do some other guys who do it for a living, and I am not sure we'd both build a team the same way, but now I at least think the guy is willing to hang in there on all the evaluations he makes no matter who he talks to. You can challenge him and he'll stick to what he's said and it feels more like he's done actual work on prospects than it did at one point when it was early on in his ESPN days.

He's also far better at being challenged about things he sees and is now able to communicate better what he's seen and lays it out there in a way that's concise and to the point when necessary. He's also gotten very good at letting others have differing opinions and keeping things civil and in a good debate space. I actually kind of like him as a guy and he's good in the fringe areas for people who don't live and die for the draft IMO, too.

With all that said, I don't think I'd have ever put him on any of my lists as a guy I'd want to speak to for a possible bigger scouting/personnel position. In fact, I'd probably want to talk to Daniel Jeremiah before I'd talk to McShay, though I'm not even completely into the idea of taking too much time to talk to DJ yet if we're talking media folks. If this ends up being just a small, entry level position then that changes it considerably but I'm talking about if they make him one of the top guys under Douglas.

I'll be curious to see how this shakes out.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5067 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Jun 9, 2019 8:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Pllllllllllllllllease hire him.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5068 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:45 pm

Read on Twitter

49ers met with him.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5069 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Was a top candidate with the 49ers when McDaniels was under consideration as well and was one of the first times people league wide felt that the Patriots would allow and that he might accept another position elsewhere. This may rank up there in Caserio's heart if he wants his shot somewhere else because of another close friendship tie but whether the Patriots would allow it to happen in the AFC is another story.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5070 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Lasted 5 months and 8 days.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#5071 » by Bald Bull » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:59 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

wasn't he one of sickness's guys? i remember some obsessively insisting we where making a mistake by passing on him
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5072 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:17 pm

Bald Bull wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

wasn't he one of sickness's guys? i remember some obsessively insisting we where making a mistake by passing on him

I know there was some vocal support from some "regulars" on him. All I can say for sure was that I liked parts of his game but the maturity and make up on him scared the you know what out of me and ultimately turned me off to where he never would've fallen to the point where I could have truly considered advocating for him.

Countless interviews, several blurbs and long form interviews with people who worked with him and spent time with him, as well as simple nuggets like never being elected a team captain (after almost 3 full years of starting), which is extremely rare if you aren't that connected to the game, went into my feeling like he probably couldn't be a guy for me for the type of pick you would've had to spend on him.

To this day he's one of the stranger/weirder QB prospects when it comes to what gets you excited on the field vs. what you hear, see and feel from him off of it. Paxton Lynch was that way as well, though I didn't quite like Lynch's game and he never made me really think about considering him as much as Cook did for a while until the whole picture was clear.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5073 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:39 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#5074 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:WHB EXCLUSIVE: TYREEK HILL DID NOT BREAK SON’S ARM

http://www.810whb.com/2019/06/10/whb-exclusive-tyreek-hill-did-not-break-sons-arm/

For those who didn't read the article, apparently Espinal (Hill's fiancee and the kid's mother) put a friend up to reporting that Hill broke the arm. Now, it certainly seems like there might have been some violence in that relationship based on the recorded phone call that came out several months ago, so I'm at least slightly reluctant to judge her. That said, these types of false reports are absolutely devastating for true victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, etc. The same can, seemingly, be said for the woman in Reuben Foster's cases (blanking on her name). It probably takes literally hundreds of legit victims coming forward to offset every false claim in the minds of the general public. Infuriating.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#5075 » by NinerSickness » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Bald Bull wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yep. Crashed & burned on that one. Hard to find a good QB with later-round picks, but I thought he was gonna pan out.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5076 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:23 am

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#5077 » by NinerSickness » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:23 am

ChrisPozz wrote:Ex-NFL player Winslow Jr. found guilty of rape

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26943757/ex-nfl-player-winslow-jr-found-guilty-rape

Maybe that's what he meant by "I'm a f**king warrior." :nonono:
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5078 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:49 am

Read on Twitter

1. Jimmy Graham - 10M/year
2. Travis Kelce - 9.368M
3. Jordan Reed - 9.35M
4. Kyle Rudolph - 9M
5. Zach Ertz/Delanie Walker - 8.5M

97. George Kittle - $674,572

Buckle up, though. I'd feel better about Kittle at 12M/year if he stays with Shanahan than I would be giving Rudolph $9M/year over similar lengths.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5079 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#5080 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:43 pm

Read on Twitter