ImageImageImageImageImage

The Colin Kaepernick Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

tallglassowater
Junior
And1: 22

Re: 49ers ruined Kaepernick 

Post#21 » by tallglassowater » Mon Oct 5, 2015 7:09 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:I don't think the Niners ruined Kaepernick. I think we as fans and I was guilty of this with the hate for Roman's playcalling were not fully cognizant of how the offense was designed to protect Kaepernick and play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses. Last year I think with increasing pressure from Baalke they tried to open up the playbook for Kaep and his weaknessess became more apparent. And now with a new staff his weaknessess are glaringly obvious. Harbaugh and staff were smart and savvy enough to build the offense that showcased the best of Kaep and hid the worst. Now we are seeing the real Kaep. Teams know who he is and will continue to stack against the run and force Kaep to beat them... until the season is over or until he shows he can improve and starts beating them.

This is actually a great post. I think I had some rose colored shades because he played college near my home town. So it was the home town guy kind of thing and I wanted him to be better than he is. I didn't get to see much of the Arizona game, but after this week I am completely done. He clearly can't make pre snap reads, and he clearly can't hit an open man consistently enough to win ball games. I have stopped paying much attention to the college game since my daughter was born a couple years ago so I have no idea if there are any top level QB's coming into the draft next year, but at this point I will be happy with a 3 win season and starting over at the position.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#22 » by Dodub » Tue Oct 6, 2015 12:13 am

I_am_1z wrote:
badazzk9 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:How come no one's talking about what Joe Buck said? He met with Geep Chryst and he has Chryst on record saying, (Paraphrasing, maybe) "We're willing to run Kaepernick, because we like Blaine Gabbert so much." This completely goes against the Tomsula presser that said players aren't disposable. Which I think is a snide at Harbaugh not caring about his players health.

How soon is too soon for Gabbert? Or should he already be in?

Where is this sound bite? Id like to hear it.

https://youtu.be/CSHecZd29gM?t=1h38m

It'll be in its own thread

Yes please! Although keeping Kaep in means a new coaching staff and 1st overall pick most likely
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#23 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Oct 6, 2015 1:07 am

Kaepernick ruined the 49ers.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#24 » by Bald Bull » Tue Oct 6, 2015 1:49 am

Dodub wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
badazzk9 wrote:

Where is this sound bite? Id like to hear it.

https://youtu.be/CSHecZd29gM?t=1h38m

It'll be in its own thread

Yes please! Although keeping Kaep in means a new coaching staff and 1st overall pick most likely

the comment makes me curious to see Gabbert, but I'm skeptical that he has enough mental toughness to play behind our line. We are likely to struggle regardless of the QB because they are both easily flustered by pressure.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#25 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:28 am

Seattle so lucky. Detroit carved up Seattle's D that last drive and came within inches of scoring. Seattle's offense is bad, their defense keeps them in games. Had Seattle lost tonight, they easily could have been looking at 1-4 with a road game in Cincinnati next week.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#26 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:34 am

He was never good. He was an unknown QB with raw talent and a stacked team. They should have never benched Smith and they should have forced Kap to work on his fundementals on the sideline.

Now we have to watch this gonzo-looin' d-bag wear a crooked hat and headphones that aren't even plugged in.

Yall made fun off me for calling him trash when he "took us" to the Superbowl... where are all the fan boys now?
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#27 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:02 pm

Never good?

He led the team to the SB and almost got them to a second one. He carried the team to victory in Green Bay and Carolina.

People are deluding themselves if they think Gabbert or a rookie will do better.

With his contract, they could cut him after this year. Then would the 49ers be better off with someone unproven? At least Kap has won games and made plays. He's still going to be 28 next season. Even if they get the greatest prospect in the last 10 or 20 years, do you really want to throw him in as a rookie?

Especially if this coaching staff is still in place?
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#28 » by MHSL82 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:23 pm

wco81 wrote:Never good?

He led the team to the SB and almost got them to a second one. He carried the team to victory in Green Bay and Carolina.

People are deluding themselves if they think Gabbert or a rookie will do better.

With his contract, they could cut him after this year. Then would the 49ers be better off with someone unproven? At least Kap has won games and made plays. He's still going to be 28 next season. Even if they get the greatest prospect in the last 10 or 20 years, do you really want to throw him in as a rookie?

Coaching helped that a lot and talent in the roster. Now, we have some negatives there. Big gap. Unless the constant (Kaepernick) changes with the changes (coaches/personnel) we're not going to get that Kaepernick. Teams had no film on him and were scared of the formations and read option. Now, they know the movements are superficial (though I think those left with Roman) and they know the read option (that we don't run as much) and our offense is basic, so much that the defense knows what's going to happen.
badazzk9
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#29 » by badazzk9 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:25 pm

My take... Kap ruined the 49ers.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#30 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:38 pm

No. Not with this oline and team. It will be Alex Smith again with a busted shoulder. If not Kap, then another veteran stopgap. They need to resist temptation to throw the youngster to the wolves.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#31 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 8:33 pm

He led the team to the SB and almost got them to a second one.

No, no he didn't.

He lead them to a Super Bowl like Matthew Dellevadova lead the Cavs to the NBA Finals. I'm surprised the Cavs didn't trade Irving and give Delly the biggest contract in the NBA.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#32 » by zman1 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 3:46 pm

I agree with the basic premise of this article.

1. This offseason remake of the fundamentals reminds me of highly successful golfers who change their swing to get even better. Most are never heard from again. Kap has made some of the worst throws I have ever seen him make this year. He is too worried about the new mechanics and it has messed him up.

2. Niners have just insisted on being a power football team and have deluded themselves into thinking they are and that they can be successful that way. They offer no real threat of going deep against the opposing team so they stack the line and the Niners offer no counter. They don't even try to go deep.

3. The o-line is so bad that Kap is suffering from PTSD.

I suggest at this point they should start Gabbert to see if it helps and to let Kap clear his mind.

Long term though, with Jed in charge, it looks like it is a dark and drear future for the foreseeable.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#33 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:39 pm

zman1 wrote:I agree with the basic premise of this article.

1. This offseason remake of the fundamentals reminds me of highly successful golfers who change their swing to get even better. Most are never heard from again. Kap has made some of the worst throws I have ever seen him make this year. He is too worried about the new mechanics and it has messed him up.

2. Niners have just insisted on being a power football team and have deluded themselves into thinking they are and that they can be successful that way. They offer no real threat of going deep against the opposing team so they stack the line and the Niners offer no counter. They don't even try to go deep.

I suggest at this point they should start Gabbert to see if it helps and to let Kap clear his mind.

Long term though, with Jed in charge, it looks like it is a dark and drear future for the foreseeable.

These are all really good points. Greg Cosell added another thing. Kap is hearing footsteps now so when his predetermined throw is not there, he steps outside the pocket which disrupts the timing of the plays and his passes. I think it also affects his timing and accuracy.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by zman1 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 4:57 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
zman1 wrote:I agree with the basic premise of this article.

These are all really good points. Greg Cosell added another thing. Kap is hearing footsteps now so when his predetermined throw is not there, he steps outside the pocket which disrupts the timing of the plays and his passes. I think it also affects his timing and accuracy.

Yeah, I guess he is also suffering from the other PTSD: Pre-Traumatic Stress Syndrome.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by zman1 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 5:05 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

He led the team to the SB and almost got them to a second one.

No, no he didn't.

He lead them to a Super Bowl like Matthew Dellevadova lead the Cavs to the NBA Finals.

Uh huh. And Donald is going to get Mexico to build the wall and we found the WMD in Iraq. Delusional, just serious, reality-denying delusional.
wco81
RealGM

Post#36 » by wco81 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 6:49 pm

Look what Dalton is doing this year. He may still blow it in the playoffs but bengals got him a lot of weapons and Jackson is always attacking, looking for favorable match ups.

If the team cuts Kap based on this year, which was largely caused by owner and front office mismanagement, it'll be unfortunate.

I don't think they're talking about Goff like the way they did Peyton when he came out or Luck a couple of years ago. So there's unlikely to be a rookie savior.

Now will Jed care enough to try to get Kap more competent coaching?
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#37 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 7:09 pm

wco81 wrote:Look what Dalton is doing this year. He may still blow it in the playoffs but bengals got him a lot of weapons and Jackson is always attacking, looking for favorable match ups.

If the team cuts Kap based on this year, which was largely caused by owner and front office mismanagement, it'll be unfortunate.

I don't think they're talking about Goff like the way they did Peyton when he came out or Luck a couple of years ago. So there's unlikely to be a rookie savior.

Now will Jed care enough to try to get Kap more competent coaching?

Unfortunately, I don't think Jed has the ability to do that. To me, the best thing Jed could do is to realize he doesn't have a football background and to bring in someone to run the football operation that does. Put someone in charge like Gamble to make those decisions. Jed should just stay in the background and write checks.
wco81
RealGM

Post#38 » by wco81 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 9:05 pm

Right but he knew enough to go after Harbaugh. Did he talk to other football people or just decided based on watching Stanford games?

He really didn't consider other candidates.

Maybe if Atlanta and cincy win 12 or more games, he'll think about going after Kyle Shanahan or Hue Jackson.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#39 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Oct 7, 2015 9:13 pm

wco81 wrote:Right but he knew enough to go after Harbaugh. Did he talk to other football people or just decided based on watching Stanford games?

He really didn't consider other candidates.

Maybe if Atlanta and cincy win 12 or more games, he'll think about going after Kyle Shanahan or Hue Jackson.

Except for they considered/interviewed Hue Jackson and Perry Fewell, and I'm probably forgetting others.
wco81
RealGM

Post#40 » by wco81 » Wed Oct 7, 2015 9:19 pm

How many others were seriously considered vs. doing the minority screening required by the NFL?

Return to San Francisco 49ers