The Colin Kaepernick Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: The Colin Kaepernick Thread 

Post#461 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Colin Kaepernick - QB - 49ers

49ers GM Trent Baalke refused to rule out trading Colin Kaepernick.

"Everyday things change, sometimes this time of year they change by the minute," Baalke said. "For me to speculate on hypotheticals, what may or may not happen in the future, I’m not gonna get into that with Colin or any other player." With their relationship reportedly "broken," both the 49ers and Kaepernick would like to move on, but they are struggling to find the right deal. The Broncos appear to be willing partners, but they want Kaepernick to accept less money or the 49ers to pay some of his salary. ESPN's Mark Dominik believes a deal between the 49ers and Broncos is "done" and contingent on San Francisco drafting a quarterback. With the Rams and Eagles trading up for the Nos. 1 and 2 picks respectively, the 49ers' chances of landing a top quarterback have decreased dramatically.
Source: KRON San Francisco

Apr 21 - 8:38 AM
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#462 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Lindsay Jones:

Elway characterizes status of Kaepernick talks as "dormant." As in: They made an offer, and it's still there.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#463 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:56 pm

ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#464 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 pm

Mike Klis:

Hearing Broncos trade for Colin Kaepernick by Sunday not likely. Not impossible but there have zero talks. #9news #9sports
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#465 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:34 am

Broncos 'in' on Bradford; Kaepernick talks stall

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/broncos-in-on-bradford-kaepernick-talks-stall/156699805

For the first time in at least two weeks, the Broncos and San Francisco 49ers held a conversation Monday regarding quarterback Colin Kaepernick, an NFL source told 9NEWS. But both sides reiterated their positions and the parties hung up no closer to a deal.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#466 » by NinerSickness » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:35 pm

Absolutely had to re-post this:

Hangman_52
Sixth Man
And1: 77

Post#467 » by Hangman_52 » Sat May 7, 2016 3:53 am

Gabbert sucks we should have traded his sorry ass to the Jets or Broncos for a 3rd. He is a very bad version of Alex Smith who I liked and wish we never traded. I wish we traded Kaepernick instead for a couple of first round picks. But, I support Kaepernick and like his game way more than Gabbert.

People say Kaepernick has regressed that past 2 years. I say the offensive line has turned to pure dog crap in those two years due to injuries and people leaving. Two years ago we had a line that had Jonathan Martin starting at RT/RG 9 games, Boone held out and did not play well when he did comeback, Anthony Davis had concussion and shoulder problems for several games, Iupati had a few concussions and while he only missed starting one game, he did not finish a couple including the one at Seattle in the NFC Championship game. Kilgore got injured and Marcus Martin had to start the last quarter games. Then we all know what happened last year with Devey, Martin, and Pears blocking the equivalent of a orange traffic cone. I am so glad the addressed the OL in the draft.

I hope Chip does not fall in love with Gabbert or we will be drafting first overall and the 3 and outs will kill our defense.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#468 » by ChrisPozz » Sat May 7, 2016 4:25 am

Hangman_52 wrote:Gabbert sucks we should have traded his sorry ass to the Jets or Broncos for a 3rd. He is a very bad version of Alex Smith who I liked and wish we never traded. I wish we traded Kaepernick instead for a couple of first round picks. But, I support Kaepernick and like his game way more than Gabbert.

People say Kaepernick has regressed that past 2 years. I say the offensive line has turned to pure dog crap in those two years due to injuries and people leaving. Two years ago we had a line that had Jonathan Martin starting at RT/RG 9 games, Boone held out and did not play well when he did comeback, Anthony Davis had concussion and shoulder problems for several games, Iupati had a few concussions and while he only missed starting one game, he did not finish a couple including the one at Seattle in the NFC Championship game. Kilgore got injured and Marcus Martin had to start the last quarter games. Then we all know what happened last year with Devey, Martin, and Pears blocking the equivalent of a orange traffic cone. I am so glad the addressed the OL in the draft.

I hope Chip does not fall in love with Gabbert or we will be drafting first overall and the 3 and outs will kill our defense.

There is absolutely no way you're getting a 3rd for Gabbert and even more unlikely you'd get a 1st for Kaepernick let alone multiple firsts.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#469 » by MHSL82 » Sat May 7, 2016 6:39 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
Hangman_52 wrote:Gabbert sucks we should have traded his sorry ass to the Jets or Broncos for a 3rd. He is a very bad version of Alex Smith who I liked and wish we never traded. I wish we traded Kaepernick instead for a couple of first round picks. But, I support Kaepernick and like his game way more than Gabbert.

There is absolutely no way you're getting a 3rd for Gabbert and even more unlikely you'd get a 1st for Kaepernick let alone multiple firsts.

I think he meant trading Kaepernick right after our SB, not now. Multiple firsts, I don't know, but a first or a few seconds.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#470 » by wco81 » Sat May 7, 2016 7:11 am

Ross Tucker opined that 49ers have to see if Kap can regain his form, especially with Kelly's offense, so that they know whether to keep him after the season.

They're not going to contend with either so they have to see which way they want to go in the future.
Hangman_52
Sixth Man
And1: 77

Post#471 » by Hangman_52 » Sat May 7, 2016 10:19 am

ChrisPozz wrote:

Not now we are not getting multiple firsts for Kaepernick. But before we traded Smith we would have. And yes we could have gotten a 3rd for Gabbert before the draft. I remember telling people here that we would get 2 seconds for Smith or 2 firsts for Kaepernick and I was laughed at. I was right about Smith. QBs with starting experience and are seen as game managers are worth trading for if you are strong at every other position.
DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Post#472 » by DoobieKeebler » Sun May 8, 2016 7:49 pm

Your evaluation of Gabbert and Kaepernick's trade valuations' is too high. Gabbert has never been worth a 3rd round pick as a Niner, and Kaepernick MIGHT have been worth a 1st in 2013, but multiple? No way.

Though I am with you that I wish SF never traded Alex Smith, especially because they didn't do jack s*** with the picks they eventually used in return (Tank & Vance). I also agree with your evaluation of the o-line's regression and would add the decline of Vernon Davis to the mix, who had been the fastest guy on the offense and a safety valve for Kaep.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#473 » by NinerSickness » Mon May 16, 2016 9:44 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#474 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue May 17, 2016 11:03 pm

Colin Kaepernick - QB - 49ers

49ers coach Chip Kelly insists Colin Kaepernick isn't falling behind in the team's quarterback race as he rehabs his surgeries.

"He’s great in the classroom," Kelly said of Kaepernick. "He’s got a great grasp of what we’re doing. ... There’s not a race. The first day we’re able to against defenses is today. We’re not naming the starting lineup for the Rams game today." For once, something Kelly says is indisputably true. May OTAs are molehills compared to the mountains of training camp and the preseason. That's where Kap's battle with Blaine Gabbert will truly be waged.
Source: CSN Bay Area

May 17 - 2:13 PM
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#475 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed May 18, 2016 8:37 pm

Just saw this and wanted to respond. I disagree. Gabbert is arguably a bad version of what Smith is now, but he's not a bad version of what Smith was at a comparable stage in his career. Going into year six, Gabbert is coming off a season in which he had a 86 passer rating, and a 42.6 QBR (I know many dislike that stat). His numbers over a 16-game season extrapolate to 4,062 yards, 20 TDs, 14 INTs, and 4 fumbles. His completion percentage was 63.1, and he went 3-5 as a starter. Certainly not sensational numbers, but very solid in comparison to Smith. Smith was coming off a season with an 82 passer rating, a 33.7 QBR, and numbers that extrapolate to 3,447 yards, 20 TDs, 14.5 INTs, and 6 fumbles. His completion percentage was 59.6 and he went 3-8 as a starter. That's with a team that had an OL of Staley, Iupati, Baas (his best year for the Niners), and A. Davis. Chilo Rachal was the clear week link, and admittedly two of those guys were rookies, but there's no doubt that OL was better than what we had last year. He had an in-his-prime Frank Gore at RB, an in-his-prime Vernon Davis at TE, and Crabtree at WR. The only position you could even argue that his offensive unit was worse was at WR. Everywhere else it was leaps and bounds better. It's interesting that a post that makes all sorts of excuses for Kaepernick would crap on Gabbert at the same time, even though he put up better numbers with worse talent (losing Hyde was huge for our offense) than Kap did.

I'm not about to say Gabbert will even become Alex, much less exceed him, but his physical tools are better, he is smart, he is a hard worker, and I think there's the potential that he could get into that range with competent offensive coaching. We'll see what happens this year.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#476 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:08 pm

MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#477 » by MHSL82 » Sat Jun 4, 2016 8:16 pm

Among the five worst (3rd worst) against the blitz:was the only quarterback in the NFL to complete fewer than 50 percent of his attempts (48.1) against the blitz last season. Kaepernick’s legs weren’t much of a weapon against pressure either. He averaged 4.89 yards per dropback when blitzed, fourth worst. Interestingly enough, Blaine Gabbert averaged 8.24, second best.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/205033/carson-palmer-tom-brady-thrive-against-blitz-nick-foles-sam-bradford-not-so-much
DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Post#478 » by DoobieKeebler » Wed Jun 8, 2016 6:03 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000667581/article/silver-blaine-gabbert-heavy-favorite-for-49ers-qb-job

Michael Silver: Blaine Gabbert heavy favorite for 49ers' QB job

"Colin Kaepernick made his 2016 on-field debut Tuesday, taking part in individual drills as he works his way back from three different offseason surgeries.

The veteran passer has a long way to go in what could be the most important season of his career, and NFL Media columnist Michael Silver came away from a trip to Niners camp with the belief that Kaepernick has an uphill climb simply to take meaningful snaps in 2016.

Silver told Dan Hellie on Tuesday's edition of NFL Network's NFL Total Access that Kaepernick is "allegedly in competition" for the starting job while labeling Blaine Gabbert as the "heavy favorite" for the No. 1 role.

"He's loved in this locker room," Silver said of Gabbert. "He did a lot of good things last year and I'd be shocked if he's not the starter in the opener."

Silver compared Gabbert to Alex Smith, saying the former first-round pick could be the type of player who "resurrects himself" later in his career( :banghead: ). We have our doubts Gabbert will ever be a functional starter -- we can't shake all that grisly tape from his lost Jacksonville years -- but he did show growth in his second year with the Niners and now has coach Chip Kelly by his side.

It makes Gabbert a compelling underdog story and could put Kaepernick on the fringes of the same team that once identified him as its unquestioned future."
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#479 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jun 8, 2016 8:01 pm

I think the Alex Smith comparison is an apt one. Do you forget how bad Alex was in the start of his career? And his pocket presence has consistently been awful (may have improved over the past few years, I haven't seen much of him). Remember the constant fleeing the pocket to his right? I don't think he ever completed one of those passes. If the game is on the line, I'd still probably prefer Kap at the reins, but he's been really, really bad over the past two years.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#480 » by Jikkle » Wed Jun 8, 2016 8:20 pm

Gabbert will get the first crack at things come training camp time but I do believe this will actually be a legitimate QB competition and I don't believe there really is a heavy favorite at this time.

Kelly probably isn't particularly enthralled with either one and he'll likely just let the best man for the job win to start this season and look for his QB next offseason.

While nobody on the team will say it they are obviously going into this season knowing it's a rebuilding year so I suspect barring a great season neither Gabbert or Kapernick are in the long term plans and whoever starts will likely just be a place holder until they can find "the guy".

With that said if things are close it wouldn't surprise me if Kap gets the nod just from the standpoint of the team hoping to up his trade value in the next offseason so they can unload him for better picks than they would've gotten this year.

Return to San Francisco 49ers