The Colin Kaepernick Thread

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Re: The Colin Kaepernick Thread 

Post#541 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Feb 6, 2017 6:01 am

I'm waiting to celebrate until it is official. It will truly be a joyful moment.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#542 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 8:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#543 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Feb 7, 2017 9:25 pm

Which is why I didn't celebrate yet. Still think the team cuts him if he doesn't opt out. He is a terrible terrible terrible fit for Kyle's offense.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#544 » by NinerSickness » Wed Feb 8, 2017 7:17 am

CalamityX12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#545 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 1:59 pm

Cousins isn't getting out of DC, and I seriously doubt Romo would even entertain the thought of Frisco if he gets released. So other than Garoppolo, I'm still waiting on someone to come up with a better option than Kaep to be the QB for 2017.

Schaub, Cutler, Taylor, Hoyer, McCown, and Griffin are all not better options.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#546 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:07 pm

thesack12 wrote:Cousins isn't getting out of DC, and I seriously doubt Romo would even entertain the thought of Frisco if he gets released. So other than Garoppolo, I'm still waiting on someone to come up with a better option than Kaep to be the QB for 2017.

Other than Garoppolo, all the other names are just bridge QBs till a young drafted QB is ready to take over.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#547 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Feb 8, 2017 8:56 pm

thesack12 wrote:Cousins isn't getting out of DC, and I seriously doubt Romo would even entertain the thought of Frisco if he gets released. So other than Garoppolo, I'm still waiting on someone to come up with a better option than Kaep to be the QB for 2017.

I'd take Cutler, Hoyer and McCown over Kaep. Taylor would have been better if Chip was still the coach. If it isn't Garrapolo then it's a bridge while the rookie learns. So obviously your bridge needs to be a system fit which Kaep isn't. Cutler and Hoyer have the advantage of knowing the system already and if they aren't dicks could help answer questions the rookie would have.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#548 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:00 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

Other than Garoppolo, all the other names are just bridge QBs till a young drafted QB is ready to take over.

Exactly, thats why I mentioned "QB for 2017."

Kaep only has 1 year left on his contract if he opts in, I see no reason why he can't be the bridge guy. Not even considering he's better on the field than all those other guys, his contract makes him a better candidate in of itself. No long term commitment, and his $14 mil helps the team get up to the cap floor.

If Shanahan wants to bring in a guy like Schaub for mentoring/familiarity with the system etc, even with Kaep still on the team there will be nothing stopping that from happening. At this point, Schaub will only be receiving interest for backup duty so its not like he will have a lot more attractive options, and whomever they draft shouldn't be playing anyways so it makes doesn't make much of a difference in terms of their development if they are #3 on the depth chart their rookie year.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#549 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:03 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:

I'd take Cutler, Hoyer and McCown over Kaep. Taylor would have been better if Chip was still the coach. If it isn't Garrapolo then it's a bridge while the rookie learns. So obviously your bridge needs to be a system fit which Kaep isn't. Cutler and Hoyer have the advantage of knowing the system already and if they aren't dicks could help answer questions the rookie would have.

There is a reason why Chicago is itching to get rid of Cutler. Hoyer is defintiely not a better player than Kaep. McCown gets hurt every damn time he steps on the field. As for Taylor, its telling that Buffalo is seriously considering letting him go even with them having nothing of subtance behind him and not being in great draft position to get their next guy.

As for the rest, I touched on that in the above post.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#550 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:15 pm

Pertaining to Kaep's fit in Shanahan's offense, I'm not so sure that's too big of a deal.

Shanny got a pretty damn good rookie year out of RG3. Plus if Kyle is as good of a coach as we all think/hope it won't be an issue. The best coaches adapt their scheme to maximize the skillset and talent of the players they have.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#551 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:36 pm

thesack12 wrote:Pertaining to Kaep's fit in Shanahan's offense, I'm not so sure that's too big of a deal.

Shanny got a pretty damn good rookie year out of RG3. Plus if Kyle is as good of a coach as we all think/hope it won't be an issue. The best coaches adapt their scheme to maximize the skillset and talent of the players they have.

It's a huge deal. They had to tailor the offense to RGIII. Tailoring the offense to Kaep wouldn't be the best way to get your rookie QB and the rest of the offense ready for the takeover. It would literally be counterproductive.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#552 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:45 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Pertaining to Kaep's fit in Shanahan's offense, I'm not so sure that's too big of a deal.

It's a huge deal. They had to tailor the offense to RGIII. Tailoring the offense to Kaep wouldn't be the best way to get your rookie QB and the rest of the offense ready for the takeover. It would literally be counterproductive.

Didn't seem to harm Kirk Cousins' development
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#553 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:47 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

The Shanahans were long gone before Kirk even started sniffing productivity bud. Wonder why he doesn't already have a long term contract? It's because he didn't show anything until 2015.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#554 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:49 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

The Shanahans were long gone before Kirk even started sniffing productivity bud. Wonder why he doesn't already have a long term contract? It's because he didn't show anything until 2015.

Hmmm, could it be he wasn't productive because he wasn't even on the field until 2015?
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#555 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:57 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Hmmm, could it be he wasn't productive because he wasn't even on the field until 2015?

He was actually on the field for 6 games in 2014. Finished with 10 TDs and 9 INTs with a whopping 86.4 QB rating. Had a 4 pick game against the Giants. You know the first year Gruden took over. Guess who developed Kirk Cousins? Jay Gruden.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#556 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 10:05 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

He was actually on the field for 6 games in 2014. Finished with 10 TDs and 9 INTs with a whopping 86.4 QB rating. Had a 4 pick game against the Giants. You know the first year Gruden took over. Guess who developed Kirk Cousins? Jay Gruden.

A QB struggling in their first exposure to extended regular season action? Nah, never happens.

Yeah, I mean Cousins being under Shanahan's RG3 tailored offense was so counterproductive to Cousins' development that both Kyle and Kirk has expressed their interest in reuniting.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#557 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Feb 8, 2017 10:15 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

A QB struggling in their first exposure to extended regular season action? Nah, never happens.

Yeah, I mean Cousins being under Shanahan's RG3 tailored offense was so counterproductive to Cousins' development that both Kyle and Kirk has expressed their interest in reuniting.

Snyder made the RGIII pick. Shanahan got to draft Cousins. It isn't rocket science to think that they would want to work with the guy they drafted. He fits their criteria of a "natural thrower" the polar opposite of Kaep.

I'm certainly not putting all my faith into this vaunted two year development that led to year three struggles. I will put my faith into RGIII and the gimmick offense they were forced to run as a derailment for Cousins. No doubt about it.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#558 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed Feb 8, 2017 10:19 pm

Any offense that Kaep plays in needs to be tailored to him. That is an automatic detriment for the development of the rest of the offense. He hasn't and never will possess the basics of QBing. I realize you have an undying love for him but it's in the best interest of the franchise to move along. He isn't the answer and hasn't been for years.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#559 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 10:21 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

Snyder made the RGIII pick. Shanahan got to draft Cousins. It isn't rocket science to think that they would want to work with the guy they drafted. He fits their criteria of a "natural thrower" the polar opposite of Kaep.

I'm certainly not putting all my faith into this vaunted two year development that led to year three struggles. I will put my faith into RGIII and the gimmick offense they were forced to run as a derailment for Cousins. No doubt about it.

Again, I'm not proclaiming Kaep to be the long term guy...

And I will take into consideration that Shanny and his RG3 tailored offense was in place for both of Cousins first two seasons, which are definitely the most important years for player development. I'll also take into account the fact that Cousins didn't have the benefit of having a full offseason/preseason as "the guy" until 2015, both of which are huge components to building on the development of young QB's.

But to each their own.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#560 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 10:24 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:Any offense that Kaep plays in needs to be tailored to him. That is an automatic detriment for the development of the rest of the offense. He hasn't and never will possess the basics of QBing. I realize you have an undying love for him but it's in the best interest of the franchise to move along. He isn't the answer and hasn't been for years.

IDK, Kelly's offense wasn't tailored for Kaep. Yet he managed to have his best season since 2013, even with absolute garbage receiving options at his disposal.

Return to San Francisco 49ers