2016 NFL Free Agency

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: 2016 NFL Free Agency 

Post#481 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:I really don't get the concern with shelling out big money. The ONLY thing it effects is less money saved by York. It does not prevent us from keeping any player currently on the roster. With Kaep most likely gone next year you can just replace that amount with Norman. We will still have obscene amounts of cap space into the future. Brooks comes off. Are we suddenly gonna have 8 more guys pulling down $8M per year? No. So there should be zero concern.

that's fair in that perspective... i guess there really isn't any prevention then... age or not.... good call.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#482 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:25 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Didn't realize his age either....

Not jumping up and down for him TBH... yes we have the money but are we going to invest that into Norman? If he's on Revis level, sure but are they in the same league?

I don't feel like Norman gives you the same scheme diversity and the same number of options and situations as a guy like Revis does. Revis does not need as many constants and the same level of talent around him quite like Norman does right now IMO.

If you're expecting to wait around to find somebody who can do what Revis has been able to do for you, you're probably going to be waiting a long time because a Revis type rarely comes around. Also, what are the chances a Revis type will be or are interested in you when they do come around? That's a big thing to always remember - just how difficult it is to get a guy with a level of talent anywhere in the ballpark of that when they are available only in free agency with many other teams pursuing them and they actually have an interest in you.

And then when, by all accounts from what I've seen, they match up personality wise with what most teams would like to have out of an expensive addition? That's another big plus for him, too, IMO.

So do you try to get the guy, pay him what I think will be somewhat similarly to a Revis, but have to understand you probably won't get the same sort of schematic options that the best in the game can give you but ultimately ends up in the same ballpark financially of what the best gives you.

What complicates matters obviously is the age thing, too. I think it's pretty safe to say that he'll be coming off his peak by the time the team could be ready to make another great run again if you're playing out a best case scenario with everybody else.

As fans we don't have to worry nearly as much as real coaches do about how you develop all of your players and the affect their make ups all have on each other from a day-to-day operation. Too often the term "veteran leadership" gets thrown around too loosely and the affect it can have on a locker room can be misunderstood and sometimes over rated from a collective perspective so I don't want to make it sound like adding a Norman is absolutely guaranteed to have a huge affect on the other guys or to over rate what he COULD bring to you on that front.

However, a player's affect on everybody else from a day-to-day perspective and how he communicates with a guy on the field is something that does need to be considered and this is an area where, by all accounts again, I think Norman could help certain guys if other things line up with your own guys, too. Only a coach or personnel man who is in tune with the rest of his guys can determine just how much a guy like him could factor in to the development of your team.

That's some of what makes it so hard if he has a serious interest in SF IMO because it's such a difficult position to acquire a top level talent and everything that goes with it.

In the end, if it were me in charge, I think it would depend on the type of contract structure you're looking at and getting comfortable with the fact that you probably aren't getting a guy that has the same level of diversity scheme wise and you won't have the same number of options with him and quite possibly the same consistency on the field with him like you might have with some of the best ones to do it in recent times.

I really don't have a huge problem giving out big money to a free agent with his overall make up. As I've said, I am in the boat that does not feel like he is AS good as a lot of people do but realizing just how hard it is to get a top level talent at that position who is actually interested in you I could be OK with a potential signing IF I was convinced he lines up with what you want to do in the short term and the fact that you aren't going to be too hamstrung by his contract by the time your window could begin to open up.

(Keep in mind that I think the chances of the window opening up as quickly as it could is small with the current structure in place so honestly it probably isn't going to come down to will he be worth it to you when the window opens and he is on the decline but I've been wrong so many times before and you can't really think like that too much if you're in the situation yourself).
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#483 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:16 pm

Namdi didn't work out for the 49ers and he was clearly at the end of his career.

It might be worth giving him a front-loaded deal, so lot of money for 2 years and then you can cut him after 2 or 3 years or restructure if he's still playing at a high level.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#484 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:06 am

So it looks like the Redskins are gonna sign Norman to a huge deal tomorrow before he leaves.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#485 » by NinerSickness » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:37 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:So it looks like the Redskins are gonna sign Norman to a huge deal tomorrow before he leaves.

Signing a big FA to a huge contract huh? That doesn't sound like something the Redskins would do.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#486 » by RedneckNiner » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:11 pm

It would be nice to see the Niners sign Norman but I doubt they will. Jeds got 53 million to spend and probably trying to save some to offset the lossess at the stadium...and hey you can carry over space to next year...maybe hes saving the money for when he Finally tossess Baalke in a dumpster ane brings in a gm with a. Clue.
shouldakepowens
Senior
And1: 20

Post#487 » by shouldakepowens » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:13 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:It would be nice to see the Niners sign Norman but I doubt they will. Jeds got 53 million to spend and probably trying to save some to offset the lossess at the stadium...and hey you can carry over space to next year...maybe hes saving the money for when he Finally tossess Baalke in a dumpster ane brings in a gm with a. Clue.

It's obvious they are saving for luck and miller
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#488 » by Dodub » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:52 am

Wow. The Redskins gave Norman $75 million over 5 years. $50 million GTD
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#489 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:48 am

yeah it wouldn't have been worth it. He seems to be considered a product of the system, plays zone mostly and they have a great front 7.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#490 » by Ray_Dogg » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:34 am

York is saving the money period.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#491 » by Ray_Dogg » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:36 am

wco81 wrote:yeah it wouldn't have been worth it. He seems to be considered a product of the system, plays zone mostly and they have a great front 7.

I watched him a lot this year and he played plenty of man. He was elite. Louis Riddick was a big fan and I hold his opinion of DBs in the highest regard.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#492 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:32 pm

Baalke doesn't spend on big FAs.....

When was the last Big FA Baalke signed?

I guess Torrey is the closest
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#493 » by Jikkle » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:03 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:York is saving the money period.

Maybe, but I believe it's more of a case of Baalke having his philosophy and he's not going to break it even with a noose around his neck.

It's 99% about the draft with him and he's never going to dole out huge contracts to free agents and he's only willing to pony up big dollars for guys he drafted.

Baalke is basically another Ted Thomspon with the draft only barely touch free agency approach which dooms their teams to making the playoffs consistently but winning more championships than they should.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

Post#494 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:10 am

I'm all about going the draft-only route - if you can draft good players. We have so much cap space right now because Baalke went several years without hitting on guys who we would have been extending for big money around this time. Again, some of that is the 2011 draft, which was more bad luck than a bad eye, but lord knows 2012 didn't help. 2013 didn't do nearly as much for us as it should have, either. And if we refuse to pay for those of our own players who are good (i.e. Iupati, who admittedly I was lukewarm on keeping), then it's going to be tough to remain competitive.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#495 » by 49er4life1979 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:30 am

I am absolutely not upset at all about the Niners not signing Josh Norman. Come on, he's had one Pro Bowl season playing on a very talented defense. $15 million a year? Redskins just completely polluted the market for CBs. That is not the way to build a championship team. This upcoming draft happens to also be loaded with good CBs. Draft and develop.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

Post#496 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:32 am

If he was 25 or 26, I would have considered a contract like that. But 28 going on 29 is old for a CB. And 2/3 of that contract guaranteed...yikes.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#497 » by NinerSickness » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:52 am

Spotrac reporting that the Redskins may cut _________ for cap space.

Who?

...Chris Culliver.

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#498 » by Ray_Dogg » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:56 am

Coming off an ACL tear as well.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#499 » by NinerSickness » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:02 am

Go get Cully!

Then sign Aldon. Get the whole band back together! Maybe JSmith will come out of retirement.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#500 » by NinerSickness » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:03 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:Coming off an ACL tear as well.

Baalke gets wood when he hears the letters A, C & L consecutively. :D

It usually takes 2 years to fully recover from an ACL tear, so the Niners are a perfect fit. They don't really need him 'til 2017 anyway.

Return to San Francisco 49ers