ImageImageImageImageImage

AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT...

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: AND WITH THE SECOND OVERALL PICK OF THE 2017 NFL DRAFT... 

Post#161 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:14 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Mitchell Trubisky - QB - Tar Heels

The fact that Schefter is saying it IS something IMO. It might not turn out to be SOMETHING but the fact he's saying it now IS definitely something. (I don't want to hear "Yeah, but what about that time he said X was going to X?" If you're connected to the league you're going to get some wrong).

Schefter as you might know, unless you live under a rock, is one of the best to ever do this and isn't in the business of guessing when he doesn't want to or just has small bits and pieces to go off of.

With that said I'm going down with the ship. I still don't see the Browns passing on Garrett. And that's coming from somebody who has liked Trubisky a lot, but not loved, since September before this thing exploded and would roll the dice on him if I could. Even though I know there's a larger chance than I'd like that he'll flame out and there are some very safe players in this draft at the top that I know could potentially be on this team for a lot longer if Trubisky doesn't hit.

Exactly! I was going to made that same comment (the source) while I was making that initial post last night. Even if the Browns end up selecting Garrett at #1, I bet you at some point later on (after the draft a year or two later) we're going to discover how close they were in drafting Mitch #1 overall. Very credible source in Schefter.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#162 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Mitchell Trubisky - QB - Tar Heels

Both Bob McGinn and Todd McShay placed UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky as the No. 1 pick to the Browns in their final mock drafts.

"Owner Jimmy Haslam intercedes at the 11th hour, deciding that a future with Cody Kessler and Brock Osweiler is like none at all," McGinn writes. The Browns could absolutely try to move up from No. 12, even to No. 2, in order to land their top two prospects. But that would be incredibly difficult and lead the team to far fewer resources and darts.
Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Apr 27 - 8:48 AM

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Bob McGinn had Trubisky at No. 1 in his mock, NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah wrote the uncertainty in this draft "starts at pick one," and Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports two teams looking at quarterbacks believe Cleveland will either take Trubisky at No. 1 or trade up to grab him with the No. 2 or 3 picks. At this point, there is enough smoke to assume Cleveland really is considering Trubisky with the first pick regardless of if that is a smart move or not. If Trubisky does come off the board first, the 49ers will field an avalanche of calls from teams looking to move up to land Texas A&M pass rusher Myles Garrett.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#163 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Jamal Adams?

What's wrong with him?

Maybe they're forced to take him higher than he would have gone because they couldn't trade down but he's got All-Pro potential, doesn't he?
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#164 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:14 pm

wco81 wrote:Jamal Adams?

What's wrong with him?

Maybe they're forced to take him higher than he would have gone because they couldn't trade down but he's got All-Pro potential, doesn't he?

He's not even the consensus #1 rated safety in the draft. He would bring the same on the field impact as the Giants Landon Collins. Would you have drafted Collins #2 in the draft over someone like Ezekiel Elliot (Fournette), Patrick Peterson (Lattimore), Aaron Donald (Solomon)?
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#165 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Myles Garrett - DL - Player

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports Texas A&M pass rusher Myles Garrett "is still the likely pick for the Browns at No. 1."

Cabot says the Browns are still attempting "to trade up into the top eight," suggesting they will take Garrett at No. 1 and hope to land UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky later in the draft. ESPN's Jeff Darlington adds the 49ers, who pick behind Cleveland, are "skeptical about Trubisky going to the Browns." With the draft finally here, we will know for sure soon enough.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Apr 27 - 10:47 AM
wco81
RealGM

Post#166 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

What's wrong with him?

He's not even the consensus #1 rated safety in the draft. He would bring the same on the field impact as the Giants Landon Collins. Would you have drafted Collins #2 in the draft over someone like Ezekiel Elliot (Fournette), Patrick Peterson (Lattimore), Aaron Donald (Solomon)?

If he's the BPA at the time ...

Collins actually had a big year last season.

Other guy they're talking about is Solomon Thomas. If he's the next Aaron Donald, great, draft him. But after picking Armstead and Buckner in consecutive years, picking another DL instead of an edge rusher seems like too much.

Again unless you think Thomas is going to be some transcendent player or they're ready to move on from Armstead or Buckner already.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#167 » by Jikkle » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:46 pm

I'd say it's 50/50 at his point on who the Browns pick.

I do believe Haslam is a factor in all of this and if your boss wants a certain player you tend to take that player. And owners want franchise QBs because that's what wins and that's what sells and Mitch being a local kid who grew up a Browns fan only makes him that more marketable.
wco81
RealGM

Post#168 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:17 pm

I don't know after the disaster with Johnny Football, you would think he wouldn't meddle any more.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#169 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:02 pm

What's wrong with him?

Not from the 4 games I watched on him. Hard pass. Didn't time great either. The one attribute that gets hyped about him is leadership. Big effin deal.
wco81
RealGM

Post#170 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 pm

Browns have told Garrett he will be #1 pick.
wco81
RealGM

Post#171 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Trubitski loses his starter spot.

Can’t believe all the stans he had here.

HUGE bullet dodged.

Of course they wasted the Bears pick they got back on Solomon Thomas.

I don’t even watch college football and I was skeptical of both. :D
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#172 » by Bald Bull » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:00 am

:o i liked mitch :oops:
wco81
RealGM

Post#173 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:09 am

I just saw a piece on CNN that Solomon Thomas’ sister took her own life in 2018 or 2019.

Solomon says he was depressed, had suicidal thoughts himself.

So that may be a big reason he never panned out with the 49ers. Now he’s trying to continue his career with the Raiders.

When you hear him speak, he’s clearly very intelligent. Hope he moves on from football, finishes his Stanford degree if he hasn’t already, finds another career.

Banging his head in the trenches seems a poor choice when he’s already suffered from depression.

Return to San Francisco 49ers