Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Hangman_52
Sixth Man
And1: 77

Draft Grades 

Post#1 » by Hangman_52 » Sun May 1, 2016 2:50 am

A-

DeForrest Buckner
Loved Buckner, but would have loved Tunsil more then drafted a DE in the second. There were tons of good DEs in this draft that fit our scheme prefctly. But we got the best of them. Last time we took a DL at pick 7 he was an all time great 49er in Bryant Young. It was great to see him in round 3.

A+

Joshua Garnett
Traded back into the 1st for the best run blocking G. He can play both guard spots and center too. He was a mauler in the run game and he showed the 49ers he can be a great fit in ZB in the local proday. The fact that Seattle and Arizona were rumored to want him too makes it an A+ instead of an A. I just wish the 6th we traded was the later one.

A++

Will Redmon
Will Redmon is going to be a star. His ball skills are amazing. He is a true shutdown corner in the making. His knee will be ready to go for training camp and will compete right away for the starting spot. I can see him supplanting Brock. Johnson and Redmon will be the starting corners. And Redmon kicked into the slot when needed. Brock can come out when Redmon is covering the slot. Or Brock can be traded away. Redmon needs to work on wrapping up and getting the guy down instead of always going for the big hit. Has Deion Sanders tackling ability.

B

Rashard Robinson
Great speed, Great Coverage ability. Did not test as well as expected at the combine and is rail thin. Only reason I knock him down to a B from an A is character and lack of experience. I mocked him to us a few different times because he is exactly the type of Corner Chip likes on his defense. He could be our Chris Culliver of this draft and surprise people and become the starter by year end. If not he will be a good back up until he develops.

A++

Ronald Blair
He is a man possessed when on the field. He has the look to be a power house getting to the QB. His ability against the run is superb. If we played 4-3 He would be a good solid DE at his current size. His only problem is speed. He is slow to be an OLB and too short to be a 3-4 DE. But, he is such a good player that no matter what where he is asked to play he will dominate. He will be a back up this year and be in the rotation. I think this pick spells doom for TJE.

B

John Theus
A swing Tackle that makes sure Pears never plays RT again for us. Before the combine he was rated as a high second round pick and in some cases a first. But he was shown to have a need to hit the weight room when he was tested. In fact he did not even test at all in the bench press. If he hits the weight room he will be a solid backup at bot RT and RG. I think I would rather have had them draft Kyle Murphy.

B+

Fahn Cooper
A Tackle/Guard who has power in the run game but not so good in the pass game. He focuses way too much on his assignment and has a hard time picking up the blitz. He also must have gotten yelled at sometime in the past for false starting because he is always a tick slow from the snap. If he was an inch taller he would be a solid backup swing tackle. He might still be better than Theus right away due to having the strength needed to play against NFL competition. If he is kicked into G that means Devey can start practicing his tuba again.

A

Jeff Driskel
A clone of Kaepernick. Runs the same time, has the same measurables, and a better throwing motion. His problem is he is inaccurate on long throws, lacks touch on short throws, and has a hard time reading through a lot of progressions. Almost the same scouting report as Kaepernick. In a Chip Kelly scheme 3 QBs are needed and Driskel is a perfect fit for it. He will be the number 2 QB next year after Gabbert is gone.

D+

Kelvin Taylor
Small and often injured RB who is maxed out in size. He also has poor vision at times and runs past holes or tries to squeeze through when there is no hole. He also sucks at picking up the blitz. When his vision is on and he is healthy he can run really small making him hard to tackle. There were other RBs out there better. Our worst pick of the draft

A++

Arron Burbridge
He is a ball hawk. He will catch any and everything. Best hands I have seen in a WR since Carter even though they are tiny. He is everything you want in a WR except fast. Runs routes perfectly. Gets out of coverage at the last second to get to the ball and while it looks like he is covered he is not. If he was a Seahawk he would be perfect for Wilson. Many compared him to Kearse or Boldin predraft. Just throw it up near him and he will go get it. I can see him being a big slot possession receiver who gets first downs on 3rd downs at will. Teams will wonder for years how they passed him up.

A
Prince Charles Iworah
4.32 corner in the 7th round. He will compete for special teams right away. But with a name like that it deserves its an automatic A.

All in all they got 3 players who will start day one and got players that will kick the worst players on the team to the curb.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Re: Draft Grades 

Post#2 » by I_am_1z » Sun May 1, 2016 3:02 am

Glad to see someone's drinking the kool-aid.

Those UDFAs might pay off too in Devon Cajuste and Bryce Treggs.
Hangman_52
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by Hangman_52 » Sun May 1, 2016 3:37 am

UDFAs Grades

A+
Devon Cajuste
He has signed a 3 year deal with the 49ers. He has the best hands for a TE we have had since Jones. He is fast and tall and runs great routes. Runs block well for a WR, but needs to gain strength to be an in line TE. The only reason why he wasn't a 3rd round pick is he has a concussion history. I think 3 in the past 2 years. He is a goal line target for sure at 6'4" and has the leaping and box out ability to get the ball. I think he will compete with McDonald for the 3rd TE spot. I would wager That McDonald and now TE Bruce Miller are traded to a run first teams and we will go with Celek, Bell, and Cajuste with Anderson on the PS another year. If I had to compare him to a player I would say he is a Witten type TE.

A+
Jay Fanika
He should have been drafted in the 5th and I am surprised he wasn't. He was signed to play OLB and will kick Lemonier out of the rotation and most likely off the team. He needs to lose about 15lbs. I really love his attitude.
B
Lenny Jones
Another OLB who gets to the QB. Perfect size and speed. Just from a smaller school and did not play against elite competition.

C
Kevin Anderson
Another OLB with size and speed but is more of a coverage guy who can sometimes get tot he QB. Also another Stanford graduate who moves just down the road. He will compete for the PS.

B
Bryce Treggs
A smallish WR who runs fast as heck. Maybe a special team guy. I am sure all you Cal fans know him way better than me.

INC
Demetrius Cherry
a 6'6" 300 lb DE. No idea about him at all

INC
Jered Bell
A 6' 210lbs FS/SS who ran a 4.4 at Colorodo's pro day. Can't see much on him and haven't really seen him play. I hope this is someone who is going to be a special teamer and that we trade Bethea. With Reid, Tartt, Ward, and McCray Bethea is redundant and nonathletic.

F
John Lunsford
a Kicker who can kick it far but inaccurate. A camp foot.
Hangman_52
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by Hangman_52 » Sun May 1, 2016 4:26 am

49ers sign Darren Lake NT from Alabama. I wonder which UDFA they had to remove or player on the PS was fired. Darren Lake was rumored to be a first round draft pick early on this season but kept falling. He is 6'3" 330lbs and a run stopping monster. Backed up Both Reed and Robinson. This reminds me of them getting Dial.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#5 » by arich35 » Sun May 1, 2016 4:34 am

Wow someone is very optimistic
Hangman_52
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by Hangman_52 » Sun May 1, 2016 5:25 am

arich35 wrote:Wow someone is very optimistic

I am trying to be realistic. I think we are at best an 8 and 8 team. Most likely a 6 and 10 team. I just happen to like most of the players added this draft. Last year and the year before not so much. In fact I think this has been our best draft under Baalke. But we did not address a starting pass rushing OLB to replace Aldon and we have a weakness at ILB. Our RT is weak, but better than Pears at RT. I am praying that Davis comes back and is in shape to start at RT. Brown isa good backup and is good pass blocking but he was below average in run blocking. I also think we are week at NT. Williams is injured and we have no idea when he is going to play and Dial is average at best starting there.

And most of all I wanted a play making WR. I have wanted one for years. Someone who can turn the game around with a single catch. I wanted Alston Jeffery, Keenan Allen, Mike Evans, DeVante Parker, and this year to trade back to get Treadwell around 14 and get another second to get the Oline and Dline we needed as well. But I am not grading the draft on what I wanted. I am grading it on what we got.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#7 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 1, 2016 12:25 pm

arich35 wrote:Wow someone is very optimistic

Overly optimistic
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#8 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun May 1, 2016 3:45 pm

Initially I was not a fan of this draft in many ways. We have a ton of holes, and we only spent quality picks on like three positions. That said, we're more than a year out, so why not load up on certain positions where there is value, solidify those spots this year (thinking specifically DL and CB in terms of our draft; less so with the late-round OL), and then focus on other areas next year? I'm not sold on all the choices. Would have liked to see them come away with an OLB, ILB, NT, and probably a higher WR. But I can see the value in really emphasizing a couple positions to try to shore them up.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#9 » by I_am_1z » Sun May 1, 2016 6:45 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Initially I was not a fan of this draft in many ways. We have a ton of holes, and we only spent quality picks on like three positions. That said, we're more than a year out, so why not load up on certain positions where there is value, solidify those spots this year (thinking specifically DL and CB in terms of our draft; less so with the late-round OL), and then focus on other areas next year? I'm not sold on all the choices. Would have liked to see them come away with an OLB, ILB, NT, and probably a higher WR. But I can see the value in really emphasizing a couple positions to try to shore them up.

Wonder if Baalke is eyeing a 2017 QB
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#10 » by RedneckNiner » Mon May 2, 2016 5:48 pm

Grade A
DeForrest Buckner
Buckner was my pick once Ramsey was hone should mak the dline stout for years to come.

B-
Joshua Garnett
Traded back into the first to grab a solid guard but a power guard for a zone run scheme. The issue is not so much the player just the value of trading picks to move up. Essentially saying picks from last year were wasted. Great prospect bad value.

A

Will Redmon
Will Redmon has shutdown corner potential but another acl injury pick. Like this pick potentially got a cornerstone of the secondary in 3rd round.

B

Rashard Robinson
Great speed, Great Coverage ability. Did not test as well as expected at the combine and is rail thin. Only reason I knock him down to a B from an A is character and lack of experience. I mocked him to us a few different times because he is exactly the type of Corner Chip likes on his defense. He could be our Chris Culliver of this draft and surprise people and become the starter by year end. If not he will be a good back up until he develops.

A++

Ronald Blair
He is a man possessed when on the field. He has the look to be a power house getting to the QB. His ability against the run is superb. If we played 4-3 He would be a good solid DE at his current size. His only problem is speed. He is slow to be an OLB and too short to be a 3-4 DE. But, he is such a good player that no matter what where he is asked to play he will dominate. He will be a back up this year and be in the rotation. I think this pick spells doom for TJE.

D

John Theus
A swing Tackle that will probably never crack a starting lineup and not even in the same class as the next pick. A slightly better Pears or Devey there were better options on the board the one big whiff in the draft.

A

Fahn Cooper
A Tackle/Guard who has power in the run game but not so good in the pass game. Has potential to make a guard spot his own in a couple years. If he learns pass pro and corrects mechanics could turn into a decent right tackle.

C

Jeff Driskel
We already have a bug armed innacurate qb on the roster... But Driskel has more potential upside.

D+

Kelvin Taylor
Fragile Rb ... much like Reggie Bush no pass protection instincts

B

Arron Burbridge
Possession receiver with small hands who plays better than measurables suggest. Boldin potential good pick will lock down the number 3 receiver slot in time.

C
Prince Charles Iworah
4.32 corner in the 7th round. A project with high reward potential could go either way... but Scooby Wright a Borland clone might have been my choice.

3 definite starters and potential for 6 starters in short tine. Overall sold draft i give it a B-.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#11 » by wco81 » Sun May 8, 2016 9:22 pm

Since the search on RealGM is horrible, can one of the mods sticky this thread?

Something to revisit at the end of the season, and at the end of the 2017 training camp.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#12 » by I_am_1z » Wed May 11, 2016 8:50 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:Grade A

B-
Joshua Garnett
Traded back into the first to grab a solid guard but a power guard for a zone run scheme. The issue is not so much the player just the value of trading picks to move up. Essentially saying picks from last year were wasted. Great prospect bad value.

A

Fahn Cooper
A Tackle/Guard who has power in the run game but not so good in the pass game. Has potential to make a guard spot his own in a couple years. If he learns pass pro and corrects mechanics could turn into a decent right tackle.

Garnett and Fahn seem to be the two standing out in shorts. Really like Fahn! Don't believe the scouting report about him not being good in the pass game.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/726494893431001090[/tweet]

He has better lungs than Tunsil. In many of the highlights he's playing LT while Tunsil is on the sidelines getting another breather. Really couldn't tell the difference between the two when Fahn stood in for him. Tunsil's pass blocking efficiency rating was 98.3 (Fahn's 97.0) just for comparison.
Mem49er
Sophomore
And1: 5

Re: RE: Re: Draft Grades 

Post#13 » by Mem49er » Sat Aug 6, 2016 5:25 pm

I_am_1z wrote:

B-
Joshua Garnett

A

Fahn Cooper

Garnett and Fahn seem to be the two standing out in shorts. Really like Fahn! Don't believe the scouting report about him not being good in the pass game.

Read on Twitter

He has better lungs than Tunsil. In many of the highlights he's playing LT while Tunsil is on the sidelines getting another breather. Really couldn't tell the difference between the two when Fahn stood in for him. Tunsil's pass blocking efficiency rating was 98.3 (Fahn's 97.0) just for comparison.

Be nice to get a gem. OL was an atrocity last year.
Giggity, giggity!
I_am_1z
Starter

Re: RE: Re: Draft Grades 

Post#14 » by I_am_1z » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:47 pm

Mem49er wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

B-
Joshua Garnett

A

Fahn Cooper

Read on Twitter

Be nice to get a gem. OL was an atrocity last year.

Realistically, in 2018 an expectation of having top ten units at these positions is not crazy talk: OL, S, CB, DL, RB
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#15 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:13 am

The team could rebound nicely. The DL should be very good for several years, the defensive backfield is really rounding into form, and we've got some talent elsewhere. The D in particular could get back to elite status in the not-too-distant future. That said, unless and until we get QB and receiving positions figured out, it's going to be more bad than good.

Return to San Francisco 49ers