ImageImageImageImageImage

2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Re: 2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT 

Post#81 » by NinerSickness » Thu May 19, 2016 6:47 am

Carl Lawson could be the Myles Jack of this next draft. They're both superiour athletes who are fast, agile, flexible, have great balance, move gracefully... but both got bit by the injury bug.

Lawson might have a big enough red flag to get GMs to question whether he'll even be able to hold up in the NFL and its 16-game seasons. He already missed all of 2014 with an ACL tear, and he missed significant time with a hip injury. The way athletes are retiring earlier these days, can you trust a guy like that to play through the pain after he gets paid? I have serious questions.

On the other hand, rehab'ing takes a ton of hard work just like keping in shape does, and Lawson is known for having a great work ethic. So maybe he'll prove some people wrong.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#82 » by NinerSickness » Thu May 19, 2016 10:52 am

NinerSickness wrote:Since getting Myles Garrett is probably a pipe dream, Charles Harris is quickly becoming my 2nd-favourite player in this draft.

He seems to have it all as a pass rusher. Hustle, strength speed... and he has one of the nastiest spin moves you'll ever see. Check out how he spins right out of the block from 49ers' Tackle (left tackle here) John Theus:

Quoting myself here but...

I'm just amazed at the consistency with which Charles Harris seems to get pressure on the QB and the consistency with which he gets penetration on the OL. I know there were some questions about his lower body strength, and this is a TE trying to block him (a big one), but look at him run through the block like it's not there & swallow up the RB:

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#83 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu May 19, 2016 10:38 pm

Leonard Fournette - RB - Tigers

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang wrote that LSU junior RB Leonard Fournette "just has to stay healthy to earn a top 10 pick in 2016."

So far, so good. Fournette has played in all 15 games since joining the Tigers. It was revealed last week that the LSU star has a pair of $10 million insurance policies for any potential career-ending injury or unexpected draft slide. Rang referenced the hallowed names of Adrian Peterson and Bo Jackson when offering comps for the 6-foot-1, 230-pounder. The analyst ranks Fournette as his No. 1 overall underclassman prospect. It is very, very unlikely that he returns for his senior season, though stranger things have happened in the history of mankind.
Source: CBS Sports

May 19 - 4:00 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#84 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu May 19, 2016 10:39 pm

Cameron Robinson - T - Crimson Tide

Alabama players passionately defended recently arrested T Cam Robinson and DB Laurence "Hootie" Jones on social media.

Robinson and Jones were arrested Tuesday and hit with charges stemming from the stolen gun and marijuana that were found in the car they occupied. "I know both of them personally neither one of them would just steal a gun," S Ronnie Harrison wrote on Twitter. "Let's be real." Among other Twitter posts, DL Da'Shawn Hand said: "You can do a million things right. As soon as you make one mistake you magically just become a menace to Society... Don't make sense." Added Tre' Dunn: "Praying for my brothers, man they some good dudes! They not how the media is portraying them to be [shaking my head]." Robinson, who had eight knockdown blocks in Alabama's two playoff games against Michigan State and Clemson alone, is one of the most dominant and valuable players in college football. Jones was a 2014 four-star recruit.
Source: AL.com

May 19 - 4:49 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#85 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri May 20, 2016 3:15 am

Brad Kaaya - QB - Hurricanes

An anonymous ACC assistant coach told ESPN that Miami junior QB Brad Kaaya is "the model NFL quarterback" and "is going to play for a long time."

"I don't think you can stop him," he said. A different ACC assistant coach offered the following suggestion to doing so: "You have to mix it up, change it up. If you stay the same he'll pick you apart. He's extremely intelligent and talented. He can get out of the pocket and move around enough. He's a dangerous weapon." Mel Kiper ranks Kaaya No. 13 in the upcoming draft class, while Todd McShay projects Kaaya to go No. 2 overall to the 49ers. "He's got great accuracy and a feel for the game," an ACC head coach said. "His knowledge is strong so he can read a coverage, and really you've got to mix up coverages on him more than most people. Some quarterbacks can make throws. Some can't. Some have the intelligence to know what's going on and still can't make the throw. He's a guy who can make the throw and I'm sure he's going to keep getting better." The 6-foot-4, 209-pound Kaaya boasts a career 41/17 TD/INT rate.
Source: ESPN.com

May 19 - 6:31 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#86 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri May 20, 2016 5:01 pm

Cameron Robinson - T - Crimson Tide

The arraignment hearing on weapons possession charges for Alabama T Cam Robinson and DB Laurence "Hootie" Jones has been scheduled for June 16.

At the arraignment, Robinson and Jones will formally hear the charges being levied against them and will have the opportunity to enter their pleas. The pair was arrested on Tuesday morning in West Monroe, Louisiana. They are facing misdemeanor charges of illegal carrying of a weapon and marijuana possession, while Robinson also faces an additional felony charge for possession of a stolen firearm.
Source: College Football Talk

May 20 - 12:18 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#87 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri May 20, 2016 5:10 pm

JuJu Smith-Schuster - WR - Trojans

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang wrote that USC junior WR JuJu Smith-Schuster's "frame and game" remind him of Terrell Owens.

Owens (6-foot-3, 223 pounds) and Smith-Schuster (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) do, indeed, share similar body types. While we're in the comparison market, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. believes that Dez Bryant comps for JuJu will run rampant over the countryside in the coming months. Last season, Smith-Schuster caught 89 passes for 1,454 yards and 10 touchdowns. He underwent surgery to repair a broken right hand in early November, but even that did not force him to miss a game.

May 19 - 10:45 PM
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#88 » by I_am_1z » Fri May 20, 2016 5:18 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Brad Kaaya - QB - Hurricanes

An anonymous ACC assistant coach told ESPN that Miami junior QB Brad Kaaya is "the model NFL quarterback" and "is going to play for a long time."

"I don't think you can stop him," he said. A different ACC assistant coach offered the following suggestion to doing so: "You have to mix it up, change it up. If you stay the same he'll pick you apart. He's extremely intelligent and talented. He can get out of the pocket and move around enough. He's a dangerous weapon." Mel Kiper ranks Kaaya No. 13 in the upcoming draft class, while Todd McShay projects Kaaya to go No. 2 overall to the 49ers. "He's got great accuracy and a feel for the game," an ACC head coach said. "His knowledge is strong so he can read a coverage, and really you've got to mix up coverages on him more than most people. Some quarterbacks can make throws. Some can't. Some have the intelligence to know what's going on and still can't make the throw. He's a guy who can make the throw and I'm sure he's going to keep getting better." The 6-foot-4, 209-pound Kaaya boasts a career 41/17 TD/INT rate.
Source: ESPN.com

May 19 - 6:31 PM

209 lbs and skittish in the pocket.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by NinerSickness » Sat May 21, 2016 12:50 am

Corey Davis WR Western Michigan.

I like this guy better than the Corey from Baylor the Browns just drafted.

Reminds me a lot of TO, only not quite as muscular (yet). He's from a small school, he's tall with a big frame, he's deceptively fast, he's great with the ball in his hands...

And every once in a while he'll do this:

Want. He & Charles Harris are on my wish list.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#90 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 21, 2016 1:29 am

Carl Lawson - DL - Tigers

CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang believes that Auburn redshirt junior edge rusher Carl Lawson is "an NFL-ready defensive end right now."

Rang describes Lawson as "[p]ossessing a compact, powerful frame and an explosive burst off the edge." The 6-foot-2, 261-pound redshirt junior lands as the No. 9 underclassman prospect for 2017 on the analyst's early rundown. A healthy 2016 campaign is a must for Lawson, as he missed the 2014 season with a torn ACL and was plagued by a hip injury which limited him to seven games in 2015.

May 20 - 5:07 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#91 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 21, 2016 1:39 am

NinerSickness wrote:Corey Davis WR Western Michigan.

Reminds me a lot of TO, only not quite as muscular (yet). He's from a small school, he's tall with a big frame, he's deceptively fast, he's great with the ball in his hands...

JuJu Smith-Schuster, Malachi Dupre, and Mike Williams are all better than Corey Davis.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by NinerSickness » Sat May 21, 2016 2:24 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:JuJu Smith-Schuster, Malachi Dupre, and Mike Williams are all better than Corey Davis.

You may be right about WIlliams and JuJu, but I have serious doubts about Dupree. You've got to have a degree of toughness to play in the NFL. Have you seen that skinny receiver trying to block? I'd be afraid the guy would get jammed at the line all the time by athletic NFL CBs:

Here's why I like Davis: I think he has a lot of untapped potential. And the reason I think it's untapped is because Zach Terrell is a HORRIBLY inaccurate QB. Whereas, Juju & Williams had QBs who were NFL material. Also, most people tend to think JuJu & Williams will be drafted a lot higher than Davis, and that's another reason why I like Davis.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by NinerSickness » Sat May 21, 2016 8:01 am

Illinois DE DJ Smoot getting some offseason hype, but I'm not sure I'm buying it. I don't think he was even the best D-lineman on his team last year.

I've just started watching his stuff, and I caught a few of his games. Here's the entire game last year against Penn State.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaIAtKpbuLM[/youtube]

He had this one amazing play where he ran by the left tackle & pushed the RB into Hackenberg for the sack:

But other than that play and another pressure or 2, he didn't really seem like he was anything that special. And that was an OL who gave up 10 sacks no long before that game; some called it the worst OL in all of Division 1 football.

On the other hand, he was just a sophomore when that game was being played. And he had a good sophomore season. He's 6'3 265, so he's a full-grown dude who wouldn't have to get any bigger. Seems like he has some great upside, but I'm not sure I'd put him up there w/ Garrett, Harris, Lawson & the dude from Tennessee. At least not yet. He'll be an interesting one to watch this year now that Jihad is a Raider.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by NinerSickness » Sat May 21, 2016 9:39 am

Who are the most intimidating hitters in CFB right now?

A name that sticks out to me is Reuben Foster ILB Alabama. Dude hits like he enjoys pain.

Obviously, there's my guy Jarrad Davis; one of my fav's in this upcoming draft. Seems like a good character guy too.

This could be an insanely deep ILB class.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#95 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat May 21, 2016 3:09 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Who are the most intimidating hitters in CFB right now?

A name that sticks out to me is Reuben Foster ILB Alabama. Dude hits like he enjoys pain.

Obviously, there's my guy Jarrad Davis; one of my fav's in this upcoming draft. Seems like a good character guy too.

This could be an insanely deep ILB class.

Obviously things can change quickly in college football, but right now it seems like an incredible class at RB and at the very least a very good class at ILB and pass rusher. If that holds up, that would be great given the positions we passed on this year. Particularly as starting-caliber RBs and ILBs can typically be had in the third and fourth rounds. Of course, trusting Trent to identify and pursue a strong position in a given draft is kind of asking a lot...
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#96 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat May 21, 2016 3:56 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:JuJu Smith-Schuster, Malachi Dupre, and Mike Williams are all better than Corey Davis.

You may be right about WIlliams and JuJu, but I have serious doubts about Dupree. You've got to have a degree of toughness to play in the NFL. Have you seen that skinny receiver trying to block? I'd be afraid the guy would get jammed at the line all the time by athletic NFL CBs:

Here's why I like Davis: I think he has a lot of untapped potential. And the reason I think it's untapped is because Zach Terrell is a HORRIBLY inaccurate QB. Whereas, Juju & Williams had QBs who were NFL material. Also, most people tend to think JuJu & Williams will be drafted a lot higher than Davis, and that's another reason why I like Davis.

In this day in age where spread offenses are dominateing the landscape of college football, LSU remains an extremely run heavy scheme. They put a whole lot of pressure on their receivers in having to block for their running backs--Dupre is a good blocker.

Defenses are expecting LSU to run most of the time. So defenders are seldom getting caught on their heels in having to determine if they need to cheat to play the pass or the run on a given play. As a result...LSU receivers are often at a disadvantage on many plays--when a corner doesn't even have to back pedal but instead run towards the running play giving the receivers a very bad angle for them to catch to the defender in order to execute a block they were supposed to have made.

If you look at Leonard Fournette's highlights you'll see what I'm referring to. Furthermore, Dupre doesn't even have a QB throwing him the ball. Harris is no Jared Goff, sir! Again that plays a big role in the evaluation process. Not saying Dupre is the next Hines Ward of blockers at the NFL level; but if you're going to assessed a player's game, especially a receiver why not dissect his entire body of work. Look at the whole package - his skill set as a pass catcher. Yes blocking is a big part of the process but you completely ignored the primary role / function of a wide receiver. If you are an NFL scout and blocking is the most important task/ability that you look for in a WR, then my friend you will lose out in many great receivers (Desean, Will Fuller, Beckham, Ginn, Emmanuel Sanders, Travis Benjamin, etc.). Dupre would've been in the first round this year had he been draft eligible. I advise you to take a closer look via Fournette's highlights.
Mem49er
Sophomore
And1: 5

Re: Re: Re: 2016-17 CFB SEASON / '17 NFL DRAFT 

Post#97 » by Mem49er » Sat May 21, 2016 6:01 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

In this day in age where spread offenses are dominateing the landscape of college football, LSU remains an extremely run heavy scheme. They put a whole lot of pressure on their receivers in having to block for their running backs--Dupre is a good blocker.

Defenses are expecting LSU to run most of the time. So defenders are seldom getting caught on their heels in having to determine if they need to cheat to play the pass or the run on a given play. As a result...LSU receivers are often at a disadvantage on many plays--when a corner doesn't even have to back pedal but instead run towards the running play giving the receivers a very bad angle for them to catch to the defender in order to execute a block they were supposed to have made.

If you look at Leonard Fournette's highlights you'll see what I'm referring to. Furthermore, Dupre doesn't even have a QB throwing him the ball. Harris is no Jared Goff, sir! Again that plays a big role in the evaluation process. Not saying Dupre is the next Hines Ward of blockers at the NFL level; but if you're going to assessed a player's game, especially a receiver why not dissect his entire body of work. Look at the whole package - his skill set as a pass catcher. Yes blocking is a big part of the process but you completely ignored the primary role / function of a wide receiver. If you are an NFL scout and blocking is the most important task/ability that you look for in a WR, then my friend you will lose out in many great receivers (Desean, Will Fuller, Beckham, Ginn, Emmanuel Sanders, Travis Benjamin, etc.). Dupre would've been in the first round this year had he been draft eligible. I advise you to take a closer look via Fournette's highlights.

And that is how you disagree/debate like a adult. Good job, Bingo

Edit: Most here do it well, but this just stuck out as a really good post.
Giggity, giggity!
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#98 » by clyde21 » Sat May 21, 2016 6:33 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Chad Kelly - QB - Rebels

CBS Sports' Rob Rang pegged Ole Miss redshirt senior QB Chad Kelly as the No. 2 overall pick in an early 2017 mock draft.

Rang ran his mock order using Vegas Super Bowl odds for the coming season. That No. 2 pick where he slots Kelly would belong to the 49ers using the Vegas metric. "Kelly -- the nephew of Hall of Famer Jim Kelly and not related to 49ers coach Chip Kelly -- possesses the arm and athleticism to be an ideal match in Chip's offense," the analyst wrote. "He comes with questions on and off the field, but he is an undeniable talent that could soar up draft boards with a big 2016 season." The 6-foot-1, 210-pounder is one of just three gunslingers Rang sees coming off the board in round one, at least at this juncture. The other two gentlemen in question are Clemson's Deshaun Watson (whom he slots to the Browns at No. 1) and Miami's Brad Kaaya (whom he slots to the Vikings at No. 23). This is all tentative and will undoubtedly shift over the coming months.

May 14 - 2:54 PM

Chad Kelly is considered a 1st rounder? That's crazy.

Why is that crazy? Because of his character issues?

Because he has an absolutely terrible makeup. He's not wired like an NFL franchise QB. Huge doubts about his ability to compose himself under pressure both on and off the field. Major character concerns. Not even close to being the prospect that would negate these major issues.

I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#99 » by clyde21 » Sat May 21, 2016 6:43 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Since getting Myles Garrett is probably a pipe dream, Charles Harris is quickly becoming my 2nd-favourite player in this draft.

He seems to have it all as a pass rusher. Hustle, strength speed... and he has one of the nastiest spin moves you'll ever see. Check out how he spins right out of the block from 49ers' Tackle (left tackle here) John Theus:

We see eye to eye on Harris. Noticed him last year and wanted him to declare. Quick, explosive, good length and bend. Needs to develop his lower body a bit is a legit top-15/20 player.

Top 3 DEs for me right now are Garrett, Harris and Smoot (Williams I have a LB).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#100 » by clyde21 » Sat May 21, 2016 6:58 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Corey Davis WR Western Michigan.

Not cool. I don't like that we're seeing eye to to eye this much this early.

I might be doing something wrong here.

Return to San Francisco 49ers