ImageImageImageImageImage

Kill my optimism now.

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

generaldreedle
Senior
And1: 46

Kill my optimism now. 

Post#1 » by generaldreedle » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Is it a drug and scotch induced hallucination to think that with our recent draft picks, that the lines on both sides of the ball will be substantially improved, whatever one thinks of Chip Kelly he's light years better than Tomsula as a head coach and his staff will be better, we'll have the running back back and the secondary will be improved and Bowman will be more recovered. Doesn't that mean things will be much better this year? Oh, yeah, quarterback-- well, it can't be worse this year, can it? And Chip could mask a number of flaws that Jimmy T couldn't.

:crazy:
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Re: Kill my optimism now. 

Post#2 » by Jikkle » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:11 pm

I'm still going with 5 or 6 wins but I unlike last year those will be quality wins not "Wow the other team really screwed the pooch and lost that game" wins they were last year.

The only hope I see being in the running for a maybe wildcard spot is in the unlikely event Kaepernick plays like his 2012 self.

Right now from what I see 2017 will likely be the year to start getting excited because I just get that feeling everyone from the front office to the coaching staff know they are still missing some pieces and that this season will be more of an installation year for the offense and defense.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#3 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:06 pm

generaldreedle wrote:Is it a drug and scotch induced hallucination to think that with our recent draft picks, that the lines on both sides of the ball will be substantially improved, whatever one thinks of Chip Kelly he's light years better than Tomsula as a head coach and his staff will be better, we'll have the running back back and the secondary will be improved and Bowman will be more recovered. Doesn't that mean things will be much better this year? Oh, yeah, quarterback-- well, it can't be worse this year, can it? And Chip could mask a number of flaws that Jimmy T couldn't.

:crazy:

I think Jikkle has it right in terms of wins. I also think we could see some good things on offense, things we didn't even see during the Harbaugh years. I always thought the Harbaugh offenses were just okay, they look good in comparison to the Jimmy Raye and Geep Chryst run offenses.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#4 » by I_am_1z » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:45 pm

Trent Baalke
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#5 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:22 am

It will be better, but we're still almost certainly the worst team in the division. We MIGHT eke out a win against the Rams in week one, especially if they start Goff. But I can't see us doing any better than 2-4 in the division, and even that would be a surprise. There are some reasons for optimism, but we're still a year or two away from being competitive unless Kelly's system really does work wonders on QBs.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#6 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:39 pm

While I hope to see a much improved team, despite my prior concerns with Chip, I believe the weakness in the WR group will ultimately lead to our downfall....

Torrey Smith is our deep guy but may be more of a weapon under chip, we shall see.

Patton, I liked as a #3, but now thrust into #2 right? that i'm not sure is good for him and for the team.

There's going to be drives or downs that we need our WRs to make big plays and i fear we'll come short more times we can stomach.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
49rangER
Senior
And1: 28

Post#7 » by 49rangER » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:32 pm

Our defense and up tempo offense will help keep the games close which is all you need in the NFL.

We could be anywhere from a 5-12 win teams in my opinion. This schedule and the unknown at QB is what is keeping me reserve for now. The "experts" are definitely sleeping on us as we are not going to be the worse team in the league.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#8 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:32 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:It will be better, but we're still almost certainly the worst team in the division. We MIGHT eke out a win against the Rams in week one, especially if they start Goff. But I can't see us doing any better than 2-4 in the division, and even that would be a surprise. There are some reasons for optimism, but we're still a year or two away from being competitive unless Kelly's system really does work wonders on QBs.

Unless the Rams implode. Not likely put still a possibility.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#9 » by I_am_1z » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:19 pm

How quickly people forget that last year we absolutely upstaged the VIkings and Cardinals (but lost due to terrible officiating).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#10 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:25 pm

I_am_1z wrote:How quickly people forget that last year we absolutely upstaged the VIkings and Cardinals (but lost due to terrible officiating).

It's the NFL. You're going to win some games - even against very good teams - unless you're absolute garbage. But this team has a lot of holes.

If Ellington rebounds in terms of health, McDonald continues to show good focus, and Hyde stays healthy, AND Kelly can get at least average play out of our QB, then we could definitely surprise some people. But the D is pretty darn young, the OL is still taking shape, and those "what ifs" above are significant. I'm not expecting greatness. I'll settle for genrally solid play and improvement.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#11 » by I_am_1z » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:52 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:How quickly people forget that last year we absolutely upstaged the VIkings and Cardinals (but lost due to terrible officiating).

It's the NFL. You're going to win some games - even against very good teams - unless you're absolute garbage. But this team has a lot of holes.

If Ellington rebounds in terms of health, McDonald continues to show good focus, and Hyde stays healthy, AND Kelly can get at least average play out of our QB, then we could definitely surprise some people. But the D is pretty darn young, the OL is still taking shape, and those "what ifs" above are significant. I'm not expecting greatness. I'll settle for genrally solid play and improvement.

I feel like the Rams are in the same situations, but no one's calling them a 5 win team this year.

49ers of last year had a ton of injuries and still captured 5 Ws. I don't understand the fanbase at all. The O & D line are significantly improved and that's supposedly where games are decided.
generaldreedle
Senior
And1: 46

Post#12 » by generaldreedle » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:31 pm

It so varies on chance, but I think we could be good; Buckner and Amstead could really shine, Davis and Garnett could significantly upgrade the oline, Hyde can stay healthy, and Kelly is definitely and upgrade over Tomsula. All those are very realistic improvements over last year. I also think that no matter what the qb play will be at least slightly improved; Gabbert was thrust in the middle of the season, now he has a year under his belt and Kaepernick has his injuries allegedly fixed. That may still equal last in the NFC West, but I'm not a big Jeff Fisher fan.
Ease_Ur_Storm
Senior
And1: 21

Post#13 » by Ease_Ur_Storm » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:04 pm

I'm looking to see strong evidence that a strong foundation is being set. Last year was a wash-out. When they lost games it was good for draft position. When they won overtime garbage games it didn't make me happy. This year is different. Want to see them find ways to win as many games as possible to give the staff and the foundation of this team something to build on for next year. Maybe they can only win six games. Maybe they can eek out 8 - who knows. But want them to start showing signs that they will consistently be contending in most games.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#14 » by Jikkle » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 pm

And we also lost by 14 to the Browns.

All but the Vikings win were just plain ugly wins. Granted a win is a win but you also don't want to feel like you won because the other team screwed up a little more which is pretty much what the other 4 wins amounted too.

I'm guessing 5 or 6 wins mainly based on how difficult the schedule is and I'm saying those 5 or 6 wins will be good solid wins and not wins from bumbling and luck.

So even if the record doesn't reflect it I do expect the team to look better, sharper, and overall heading in the right direction.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#15 » by wco81 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:02 pm

You look for signs of progress from all the young players.

So we can evaluate Baalke and the coaching staff.

Without a QB who'd at least be in the top half of the league though, this franchise isn't going anywhere.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#16 » by Little Digger » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:44 pm

Niners definitely improved at the head coaching spot and along the OL and DL..But man is it ugly at the offensive skill positions (QB-WR especially)..Even Hyde has no chance of staying healthy with that running style of his..
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#17 » by RedneckNiner » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:13 pm

Wellthe first Cardinal game...they named Kap the MVP for his 4 picks... The niners were far worse than their record showed. Realistically i see 5 to at most 7 wins this season. I think the defense much improved. The offensive line looks much improved. But with a questionable qb and no credible receiving threat a lack of weapons could be the downfall. I think the improvement we see this year is the Niners being close in games and maybe getting a couple wins that way.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#18 » by wco81 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:02 pm

NFL Network podcast guys predict top 5 pick in 2017 draft.

Maybe top pick with 2 wins.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#19 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:04 am

I_am_1z wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I feel like the Rams are in the same situations, but no one's calling them a 5 win team this year.

49ers of last year had a ton of injuries and still captured 5 Ws. I don't understand the fanbase at all. The O & D line are significantly improved and that's supposedly where games are decided.

The Rams have the best front-four in the NFL, and arguably the best RB. They have some holes, but their D and running game should be very good. That makes them competitive.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#20 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:21 pm

Read on Twitter

to further add....

well the bright spot ATM is, if we do land top 5, Myles Garrett is there for us!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.

Return to San Francisco 49ers