ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers regular season game notes

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Re: 49ers regular season game notes 

Post#2221 » by Samurai » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:53 pm

OK, I have seen enough of Mullens. Get CJ in there now.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#2222 » by dr3am » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:55 pm

Samurai wrote:OK, I have seen enough of Mullens. Get CJ in there now.

All of them suck, we just need to hold this L like men.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#2223 » by Samurai » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:01 pm

dr3am wrote:
Samurai wrote:OK, I have seen enough of Mullens. Get CJ in there now.

All of them suck, we just need to hold this L like men.

I suppose you're right. And as long as we have an O-line that is clearly allergic to blocking, having a prime Joe Montana wouldn't make any difference.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#2224 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:11 am

dr3am wrote:
Samurai wrote:And Deebo gets hurt on the first play of the game. When it rains it pours....

It’s beyond sad at this point, dude is made of glass... we need a new WR #1

We have our #1. His name is Brandon Aiyuk.

Agreed in terms of Deebo being made of glass, though. He's a promising player, but he can't stay healthy. Kills me that we took him over AJ Brown. And Hurd over McLaurin.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#2225 » by dr3am » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:03 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
dr3am wrote:
Samurai wrote:And Deebo gets hurt on the first play of the game. When it rains it pours....

Agreed in terms of Deebo being made of glass, though. He's a promising player, but he can't stay healthy. Kills me that we took him over AJ Brown. And Hurd over McLaurin.

A.J. Brown looking like a top 3 WR over the past 3 weeks, smh. Dude is a beast, we definitely missed out on him & it’s coming back to bite us in the ass.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#2226 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:17 pm

Like I said in the Kyle contract extension thread, this regime peaked last year.

Too many draft misses, bad moves like the trade for Ford. McGlinchey is a problem too.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2227 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:03 pm

dr3am wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
dr3am wrote:It’s beyond sad at this point, dude is made of glass... we need a new WR #1

A.J. Brown looking like a top 3 WR over the past 3 weeks, smh. Dude is a beast, we definitely missed out on him & it’s coming back to bite us in the ass.

Yeah, that one was such a head-scratcher. Almost everyone had Brown ranked well ahead of Deebo. And that's not a knock on Deebo. I never thought Brown would be there in the second, much less at 51 (not to harp on it, but I said immediately after the Deebo pick that we should have trade back to 47 (Hawks traded the pick after us for 47) and that I would have preferred Brown to Deebo. We could have done both. But Shanahan had to get his guy. Deebo had some injury history in college, so this shouldn't have come as a tremendous shock.

The thought of AJ Brown and Aiyuk together just kills me. With Kittle to boot? This offense could be so good - even with our **** OL. Aiyuk is also playing like an elite guy right now, though. Over the past five weeks, he's averaging 99 receiving yards with three TDs. Over a season, that would be good for 1,584 yards and 10 TDs. Those are pro bowl numbers (last year, only Michael Thomas topped 1,400 yards, and only Kenny Golladay had more than 10 TDs, with 11). Now, I wouldn't necessarily expect him to continue at this level. He's benefitting from few alternatives in the passing game. But he's the clear go-to guy, and defenses haven't found a way to stop him yet.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2228 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:19 am

OK, I'm hopeful Aiyuk will be a Pro Bowl player several times in his career.

However, Claypool was #49 and Aiyuk was #25. Claypool looks like a beast. Probably can block with his size.

And the 49ers just missed maybe the best WR of this draft in Jefferson at #22.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2229 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:45 pm

wco81 wrote:OK, I'm hopeful Aiyuk will be a Pro Bowl player several times in his career.

However, Claypool was #49 and Aiyuk was #25. Claypool looks like a beast. Probably can block with his size.

And the 49ers just missed maybe the best WR of this draft in Jefferson at #22.

I'll take Aiyuk over Claypool. You're right, Claypool is a beast. But he's more of a beast than a receiver at this point. He's a physical freak, who absolutely blew up for a few games as the third or fourth receiving option for a good team. He's come back down to earth pretty hard lately. He's still putting up solid numbers for a rookie, but he's not consistent at all. Aiyuk is our number one and he's owning it. Now, that cuts both ways. More opportunity often leads to more numbers. But how many good or even great number twos have disappeared when asked to be the go-to guy? Hell, that appears to have happened to Claypool's teammate Smith-Schuster.

Jefferson is an interesting one. I haven't seen him play this year, but I figured he'd be more of a possession guy. Seems like he's a lot more than that. Still I'm pretty happy with Aiyuk for the time being. I really like what we've seen, and I expect he'll keep it up once Kittle is back on the field (granted I would expect to see fewer 100+ yard games).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2230 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:32 pm

Good read on Jordan Willis:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/amp/Willis-finding-a-home-on-the-49ers-defensive-line-15813015.php

I really liked Willis coming out, even followed his career a little bit after he went to the Bengals. I'm certainly not expecting him to develop into an impact player, but he's a guy we should be able to bring back on the cheap, and he could be a nice rotational piece going forward.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2231 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:41 am

Well, now it's all about the draft.

I don't know how many years Mullens and Bethard have left on their contracts but they're going to have to look at grooming new backups.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2232 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:07 am

wco81 wrote:Well, now it's all about the draft.

I don't know how many years Mullens and Bethard have left on their contracts but they're going to have to look at grooming new backups.

Pretty sure Beathard is a UFA and Mullens is a RFA.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#2233 » by thesack12 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:39 pm

wco81 wrote:Well, now it's all about the draft.

The upsetting part about that is, there was a time not too long ago when Mullens held some trade value and could have fetched a draft pick to help restock the draft capital pantry.

Yet Lynchahan insisted on holding onto Mullens, who is now in the process of playing himself out of the league entirely.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#2234 » by thesack12 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:42 pm

Only been 10 games and 400+ snaps since Armstead actually did anything of note until yesterday. Well played Arik.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#2235 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:40 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
dr3am wrote:

Totally agree. Deebo is a very promising player but health is an issue, it was in college as well, only had one healthy season. It usually was soft tissue injuries like hamstrings.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#2236 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:47 pm

thesack12 wrote:Only been 10 games and 400+ snaps since Armstead actually did anything of note until yesterday. Well played Arik.

Arik is a good, not great player. He benefits from having other stars on the DL. He should be very good next year with Bosa back and hopefully Ford as well.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2237 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:20 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Only been 10 games and 400+ snaps since Armstead actually did anything of note until yesterday. Well played Arik.

Arik is a good, not great player. He benefits from having other stars on the DL. He should be very good next year with Bosa back and hopefully Ford as well.

I have very little faith in Ford returning to the field for this team. If it happens, awesome. But I will consider it a pleasant surprise. Hopefully we can bring back Hyder at a reasonable price to play a base end role as part of a rotation. I think Blair will be back, too, hopefully actually healthy. But we'll need Bosa, Armstead, and ideally Kinlaw to do our heavy lifting as pass rushers.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2238 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Watching Mullens play yesterday was painful. I thought Garoppolo was turnover prone (he is, with 26 INTs and 9 fumbles against 48 TDs - 2 rushing - with the Niners), but Mullens has been a train wreck.

At least his awful play has basically guaranteed us a top-10 draft pick (we're 12th now, but the NFC East teams play each other which will result in at least two ending with a better record than us, I think). I can't see us beating the Cards or Hawks at this point. With a little luck (various iterations of the NFC East teams beating each other, Chargers beat Broncos, Texans beat Bengals), we could move as high as sixth or seventh. Actually, we should all be hoping for NFC East ties. Ha!
Samurai
General Manager

Post#2239 » by Samurai » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:32 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Watching Mullens play yesterday was painful. I thought Garoppolo was turnover prone (he is, with 26 INTs and 9 fumbles against 48 TDs - 2 rushing - with the Niners), but Mullens has been a train wreck.

At least his awful play has basically guaranteed us a top-10 draft pick (we're 12th now, but the NFC East teams play each other which will result in at least two ending with a better record than us, I think). I can't see us beating the Cards or Hawks at this point. With a little luck (various iterations of the NFC East teams beating each other, Chargers beat Broncos, Texans beat Bengals), we could move as high as sixth or seventh. Actually, we should all be hoping for NFC East ties. Ha!

Jimmy G is a stud, just a small tick behind Montana and Young among Niner QB's. OK, not really but he almost seems that way compared to how Mullens played. Which is much more a statement on how bad Mullens was rather than saying Jimmy is really all that good.

And I'm still trying to determine what the benefit of playing Richie James is. For us, that is; it is clearly obvious that having James out there is a big benefit for the opposing team.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2240 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:20 pm

The problem is that teams can just sit between the hashes because he doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy to throw toward the sidelines.

Jimmy isn't too accurate on the deep outside passes but he should have enough zip to throw some simple outs and let the receiver run. Because when you have Kittle out there, a short out can turn into a big play, like against NO last year.

But Kyle's plays don't really call too many outside fades or 9 patterns it seems. It should do a roll out for the crossing route but teams have learned to stay home there.

Return to San Francisco 49ers