ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers regular season game notes

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Re: 49ers regular season game notes 

Post#1161 » by Dodub » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:01 pm

I love it. The team wants to make a run for the Championship so they went out and got a guy to help do that. I get that he’s not a long term option but we’re in win now mode.

It’s essentially Sanders for a 3rd as our 4th and Denver’s 5th could be very close to one another
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#1162 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:01 pm

Read on Twitter
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#1163 » by dr3am » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Not going to lie never followed Sanders like that but I love the win now mentality because this for sure will be the Pats last year at the top with Brady retiring after this year or possibly going to another team so F it, Let’s Go!
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#1164 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Dodub wrote:I love it. The team wants to make a run for the Championship so they went out and got a guy to help do that. I get that he’s not a long term option but we’re in win now mode.

It’s essentially Sanders for a 3rd as our 4th and Denver’s 5th could be very close to one another

Why are we in a win-now mode? Staley and Sherman are our only important players who are on the older side. All things considered, we have a very young team that should have a nice window that is just starting to open. But to keep it open, we'll need draft picks. Trading this much for a half-season rental is ludicrous IMO. It doesn't even solve the WR issue, and we're still paper thin in the defensive backfield and on the OL (though both position groups have seen some guys step up over the past couple weeks).

If we win the SB this year, I'll eat crow. Anything short of that, and I don't care for the trade. And yes, I realize that's a ridiculously high standard, but you don't make this trade unless you're aiming at the SB. We will be able to address one position in the draft this offseason - if we hit on the player, which is no sure thing given how this FO has drafted in the late-first and second rounds (Foster, Pettis, Samuel). Going into the next offseason, we will have used two seconds and two thirds on WR, and we will still have major question marks at the position. That's a problem. And it's not even like we could let Sanders walk and net a solid comp pick in 2021.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1165 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Skule has been doing a decent job, though this next week should be by far his biggest test. It would be nice if he could develop into the heir apparent to Staley (certainly not expecting him to be the next Joe, but hopefully he can be a serviceable starting OT going forward).
Dodub
General Manager

Post#1166 » by Dodub » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:50 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:I love it. The team wants to make a run for the Championship so they went out and got a guy to help do that. I get that he’s not a long term option but we’re in win now mode.

Why are we in a win-now mode? Staley and Sherman are our only important players who are on the older side. All things considered, we have a very young team that should have a nice window that is just starting to open. But to keep it open, we'll need draft picks. Trading this much for a half-season rental is ludicrous IMO. It doesn't even solve the WR issue, and we're still paper thin in the defensive backfield and on the OL (though both position groups have seen some guys step up over the past couple weeks).

If we win the SB this year, I'll eat crow. Anything short of that, and I don't care for the trade. And yes, I realize that's a ridiculously high standard, but you don't make this trade unless you're aiming at the SB. We will be able to address one position in the draft this offseason - if we hit on the player, which is no sure thing given how this FO has drafted in the late-first and second rounds (Foster, Pettis, Samuel). Going into the next offseason, we will have used two seconds and two thirds on WR, and we will still have major question marks at the position. That's a problem. And it's not even like we could let Sanders walk and net a solid comp pick in 2021.

Of course they’re aiming for a Super Bowl at 6-0. That’s exactly what should be in your minds as a franchise
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#1167 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:54 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:

The 9ers are one of 3 NFC teams that have good odds of getting to a SB so I don't mind pushing some chips to the middle of the table and going for it.

Getting Sanders gives you a reliable savvy vet that the WR corps needed since the young guys have struggled with consistency and hopefully Sanders will combine with Kittle to be a go to guy for Jimmy G.

Jimmy G has to elevate his play himself no question about that but having more options to throw to especially Sanders who now becomes the best WR on the team should help.

Looking at the roster the only really soft spot in the roster is the offensive line and we could really use some depth and someone to push Pearson for the RG job.

Secondary maybe but that's looking less and less like a problem with Witherspoon and Mosley looking sharp so far and Moore looks like he could be a starter at S if Ward isn't resigned or in the more likely event he gets hurt.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1168 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Of course they’re aiming for a Super Bowl at 6-0. That’s exactly what should be in your minds as a franchise

Obviously that's the goal. But it needs to be more than that. With this trade, they need to make a deep post-season bid. They just gave up a valuable pick to get a guy for 10 regular season games. It's a lot for a guy who is good, but not a game-changer.

For a little context, the Hawks traded a third-round pick, Barkevious Mingo, and Jacob Martin (both the definition of role players) for 16 games of Clowney. And Clowney probably nets a third-round comp pick if they let him walk.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1169 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:59 pm

Part of my hesitation with this trade is that I'm still not sold on this team. They've been playing very well, particularly the D. But other than a Rams team that was kind of falling apart (unclear that their trade for Ramsey and their rebound against an awful Atlanta team has truly righted the ship), they haven't really been tested. It's entirely possible their the fourth or fifth best team in the conference, in which case this isn't a good move.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1170 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:59 pm

Double post.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1171 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:01 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Obviously that's the goal. But it needs to be more than that. With this trade, they need to make a deep post-season bid. They just gave up a valuable pick to get a guy for 10 regular season games. It's a lot for a guy who is good, but not a game-changer.

For a little context, the Hawks traded a third-round pick, Barkevious Mingo, and Jacob Martin (both the definition of role players) for 16 games of Clowney. And Clowney probably nets a third-round comp pick if they let him walk.

What are any of your thoughts/feelings/desires/expectations on a contract extension/re-sign? Just anything you're willing to offer up on something that would extend it beyond this year - good and/or bad.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1172 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Trent Taylor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

No, my expectation is that it'll be Jordan Matthews - unfortunately.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#1173 » by Dodub » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:11 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wish that dude could catch a break
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1174 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:11 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1175 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:13 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:

What are any of your thoughts/feelings/desires/expectations on a contract extension/re-sign? Just anything you're willing to offer up on something that would extend it beyond this year - good and/or bad.

I don't know at this point. I'd need to see Sanders play out the year before contemplating an extension given his age and injury history. As far as numbers, I don't have time to review comparable players' contracts at the moment.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1176 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:14 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's definitely Jordan Matthews. Taylor isn't on the roster, he's on IR.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1177 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:34 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I don't know at this point. I'd need to see Sanders play out the year before contemplating an extension given his age and injury history. As far as numbers, I don't have time to review comparable players' contracts at the moment.

Not a lot of history with similarly aged receivers in similar situations as him to go off of but the closest one to look at might be what the Cardinals have done with Larry Fitzgerald (1 for $11M).

If all goes reasonably well, maybe something around 2 years ($22-$24M) with a high guaranteed % in year one (Fitz's 1-year deal was fully guaranteed with the idea they'd revisit the same kind of deal if they wanted to extend the partnership, which they have two more times since coming up with that original structure). Maybe add another million tied to certain performance levels like Fitzgerald as well.

That puts him just outside the top 16 (around 17-19) at his position with guys like A.J. Green, Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, T.Y. Hilton, and Keenan Allen (among my top overall targets but probably won't get to FA) all on the verge having to work out new deals themselves.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1178 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Read on Twitter
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#1179 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:53 pm

I don't mind picking up Sanders but the price was a bit rich for me. I don't like giving up a 3rd rd pick. If it was just giving up a 4th round pick I wouldn't mind so much
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#1180 » by Bald Bull » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:58 am

Read on Twitter

tweet embed is broken so i'll copy and paste

Tom Brady's first 16 starts:

65.31 Cmp%, 3,360 yds, 23 TDs, 13 INTs, 13-3 record

Jimmy Garoppolo's first 16 starts:

66.39 Cmp%, 4,070 yds, 22 TDs, 14 INTs, 14-2 record

:o