49ers regular season game notes

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Re: 49ers regular season game notes 

Post#2241 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:31 pm

Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Watching Mullens play yesterday was painful. I thought Garoppolo was turnover prone (he is, with 26 INTs and 9 fumbles against 48 TDs - 2 rushing - with the Niners), but Mullens has been a train wreck.

At least his awful play has basically guaranteed us a top-10 draft pick (we're 12th now, but the NFC East teams play each other which will result in at least two ending with a better record than us, I think). I can't see us beating the Cards or Hawks at this point. With a little luck (various iterations of the NFC East teams beating each other, Chargers beat Broncos, Texans beat Bengals), we could move as high as sixth or seventh. Actually, we should all be hoping for NFC East ties. Ha!

Jimmy G is a stud, just a small tick behind Montana and Young among Niner QB's. OK, not really but he almost seems that way compared to how Mullens played. Which is much more a statement on how bad Mullens was rather than saying Jimmy is really all that good.

And I'm still trying to determine what the benefit of playing Richie James is. For us, that is; it is clearly obvious that having James out there is a big benefit for the opposing team.

Because the alternative is River Cracraft.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2242 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:33 pm

wco81 wrote:The problem is that teams can just sit between the hashes because he doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy to throw toward the sidelines.

Jimmy isn't too accurate on the deep outside passes but he should have enough zip to throw some simple outs and let the receiver run. Because when you have Kittle out there, a short out can turn into a big play, like against NO last year.

But Kyle's plays don't really call too many outside fades or 9 patterns it seems. It should do a roll out for the crossing route but teams have learned to stay home there.

Mullens can't throw the deep outs. He had two - and they weren't even true sideline outs, just out-breaking routes in the 15-yard area - that defenders jumped easily. Jimmy can throw those (sometimes, anyway), but Mullens has the better true deep ball. Jimmy's is literally the worst in the NFL. He has absolutely no feel for a deep, arcing ball.

The lack of the deep ball really hurts Jimmy. We could live with the other stuff if he could truly threaten deep. But since he can't, we need to surround him with guys who can make plays after the catch, and we don't have the margin for error we would with a good deep ball thrower.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2243 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:13 pm

Deeper dive into draft position because I'm bored (despite being quite busy), even though we could just wait it out. I'm going to take a quick look at teams we could pass for a higher draft pick, and their remaining schedules.

12. 49ers - at Cardinals, vs. Seahawks. Very likely to end up 5-11.
11. Lions - vs. Bucs, vs. Vikes. Pretty likely to stay at five wins, though they could beat the Vikes.
10. Giants - at Ravens, vs. Cowboys. Decent chance of beating the Cowboys, who are also 5-9.
9. Chargers - vs. Broncos, at Chiefs. Good chance of winning another game. The Broncos aren't very good, and the Chiefs will very likely bench their starters in week 17.
8. Cowboys - vs. Eagles, at Giants. This is great news for us, as the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys would all move below us in draft order with a win. NFC East is can't-lose.
7. Eagles - at Cowboys, vs. Wash. Fair chance of winning one of these, especially given their improved play of late.
6. Texans (but Dolphins own the pick) - vs. Bengals, vs. TItans. Last night aside, good change of beating the Bengals. We would then have the same record, but their SOS is actually tougher than ours right now - though it's close.
5. Falcons - at Chiefs, at Bucs. Can't believe they choked the last one away against the Bucs. Not holding my breath here, and we'd need some SOS help we're not likely to get.
4. Panthers - at Wash., vs. Saints. They could beat Washington. Not holding my breath on the Saints unless they are in a position to bench starters (one game behind the Packers, tied with Seattle, so unlikely), and we'd need SOS help.

Anyway, all said, we definitely move up one or two spots just based on the outcome of the NFC East games. Likely jump the Chargers, good shot at the Texans pending SOS. I've got us just inside the top-10, but we'll see. Fingers crossed....
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#2244 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:05 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:The problem is that teams can just sit between the hashes because he doesn't have the arm strength or accuracy to throw toward the sidelines.

Jimmy isn't too accurate on the deep outside passes but he should have enough zip to throw some simple outs and let the receiver run. Because when you have Kittle out there, a short out can turn into a big play, like against NO last year.

But Kyle's plays don't really call too many outside fades or 9 patterns it seems. It should do a roll out for the crossing route but teams have learned to stay home there.

Mullens can't throw the deep outs. He had two - and they weren't even true sideline outs, just out-breaking routes in the 15-yard area - that defenders jumped easily. Jimmy can throw those (sometimes, anyway), but Mullens has the better true deep ball. Jimmy's is literally the worst in the NFL. He has absolutely no feel for a deep, arcing ball.

The lack of the deep ball really hurts Jimmy. We could live with the other stuff if he could truly threaten deep. But since he can't, we need to surround him with guys who can make plays after the catch, and we don't have the margin for error we would with a good deep ball thrower.

LOl, Jimmy does throw a bad long ball, but that is comparing two turds. Mullens long ball is awful too
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#2245 » by Bald Bull » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:58 am

i'm in favor of trading the farm to move up and get zach wilson. i don't care if we have to over pay. if we have to move up to #2, do it.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#2246 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:26 am

I haven't watched him much.

Really the QBs who are dominating the game now are those who can make plays out of the pocket. That is what Mahomes is doing. People used to tout all these in the pocket, timing QBs. But it's now second-reaction playmakers.

That is also what Herbert is capable of as well. Big enough arm to spray it all over the field but can run for big yards if necessary.

So if Wilson could do that, fine. I don't know what kind of accuracy the OSU QB has. He's obviously athletic. But for all the great talent OSU has year after year, their QBs have been busts.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#2247 » by Bald Bull » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:32 am

wco81 wrote:I haven't watched him much.

Really the QBs who are dominating the game now are those who can make plays out of the pocket. That is what Mahomes is doing. People used to tout all these in the pocket, timing QBs. But it's now second-reaction playmakers.

That is also what Herbert is capable of as well. Big enough arm to spray it all over the field but can run for big yards if necessary.

So if Wilson could do that, fine. I don't know what kind of accuracy the OSU QB has. He's obviously athletic. But for all the great talent OSU has year after year, their QBs have been busts.

wilson is good in the pocket, very accurate on the run, he can hurt you with his legs. he can make every throw on all levels of the field, he can put touch on passes when he needs to. His arm talent reminds me of Rodgers the way he flicks it out with ease and high accuracy and placement. He makes plays no QB on this team can make.

I see a franchise QB when i watch him.I'd take him over justin fields without hesitating.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#2248 » by Bald Bull » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:06 pm

49er legend JT O'Sullivan analysis of wilson.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#2249 » by Dodub » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:19 pm

I like Wilson if we draft anything QB (outside is Lawrence who we have no chance at)
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#2250 » by thesack12 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:34 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Only been 10 games and 400+ snaps since Armstead actually did anything of note until yesterday. Well played Arik.

Arik is a good, not great player. He benefits from having other stars on the DL. He should be very good next year with Bosa back and hopefully Ford as well.

I disagree. In my opinion, Armstead isn't even a solid player let alone a good one. Arik seems to be completely reliant upon talent around him in order for him to have any sort of positive impact.

Good players consistently play at a high level regardless of the situation. Solid players hold their own for the most part and periodically flash with big plays. Granted those are obviously my own personal definitions of player tiers, but Armstead qualifies for neither of those metrics . Arik needs 2 or more high end D Lineman alongside him in order to have a meaningful impact.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2251 » by wco81 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:02 pm

49ers trying to blow their draft position.

Playing Kittle and I'm sure other players like Wilson is trying to put good film out.

Also I'm playing Murray in one of my leagues but it's more important to improve the draft positioning.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#2252 » by Samurai » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:19 pm

Run blocking looks much better so far. And love the trick play on 3rd and 1 where Juice goes in motion, stops behind the center and takes the direct snap for a quarterback(fullback) sneak to pick up the first. That was "mad scientist" Shanahan at his best.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2253 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:15 pm

I'm not sure we're gonna lose this one. Oh, Hopkins back. Okay, that helps our draft position.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2254 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:24 pm

Arizona sucks.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2255 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:37 pm

How was that a late hit? Hopkins was still up and fighting for yards. I didn't hear the whistle.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2256 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:53 pm

Beathard does not like throwing to WRs.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2257 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:02 am

We're gonna win this one. Ugh.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2258 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:02 am

Though that miss is huge.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2259 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:17 am

Cards clearly took us too lightly. Dummies.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2260 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:18 am

Yeah, if they were going to win a meaningless game (meaningless for standings, not for draft position), I'd rather they beat the Seahawks.

Return to San Francisco 49ers