ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers regular season game notes

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Re: 49ers regular season game notes 

Post#2281 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 12:46 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:The win against the Cards cost us three spots in draft order. If only the Cowboys and Broncos had managed wins....

At 12th, I think there's a chance one of the top-four QBs falls to us, but it's a bit of a longshot. I figure the Jags and Jets are both very likely to take a QB. Dolphins and Bengals pretty unlikely to, though both could be looking to move back. Eagles and Panthers are both pretty likely to be in the QB market. Then you've got teams like the Giants and Broncos with recent high picks who haven't really panned out to date, and teams like the Falcons and Lions who might be looking to move on from older starters.

I can't see us making a really aggressive move up for a QB, so my money is on us taking a player at another position. I'd love to see some of that Shanahan QB-whisperer magic one of these days. The Mullens and Beathard experiences have me wary of really buying into that. It's a huge strike against Shanahan that he a) traded up to get Beathard about two rounds earlier than anyone else was considering him in a draft in which he passed on two pro bowl QBs (actually, apparently he passed on three as Trubisky made a pro bowl; now that's just a joke, alternates shouldn't be considered pro bowl players), and b) stuck with both Beathard and Mullens and neglected to look elsewhere for a viable challenger at the position.

Matt Maiocco wrote a piece a few days ago about Jimmy G. I think Matt Maiocco has a good connection to the FO and if he reports something I tend believe there is a good amount of truth to it. In the article he basically said the FO doesn't see the Free Agent class as a real upgrade over Jimmy G and it doesn't appear that there is anything going on there. Doesn't mean something couldn't happen but it looks more likely Jimmy G is back starting next year. They are also looking at upgrading the backup QB positions
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#2282 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 4:17 pm

As recently as a couple days ago, Lynch mentioned that he's "looking for clarity" and still not sure that Dee Ford is going to be ready for next season. That's not encouraging in the slightest. There sure seems to be the real possibility that he's never going to put on a 9ers jersey again. That said there could be a silver lining to the overall picture in that Ford might end up just retiring. I'm not saying it makes me happy to see a guy have to retire early due to injury, but in this particular case if he's not healthy enough to play it would benefit the team greatly to see him retire. It would open up $20 million in precious salary cap relief. If they simply cut him with an injury settlement, that probably won't provide much more than $4-5 mil in cap relief. He obviously is completely un-tradeable right now.

On the + side, Lynch expressed that the team is Bosa is "doing great" with his recovery, and the team is "very pleased" with where he's at. This is obviously encouraging to hear, still I think they need to a deep audit into and re-evaluate their training, conditioning and medical staffs.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#2283 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 5:47 pm

thesack12 wrote:As recently as a couple days ago, Lynch mentioned that he's "looking for clarity" and still not sure that Dee Ford is going to be ready for next season. That's not encouraging in the slightest. There sure seems to be the real possibility that he's never going to put on a 9ers jersey again. That said there could be a silver lining to the overall picture in that Ford might end up just retiring. I'm not saying it makes me happy to see a guy have to retire early due to injury, but in this particular case if he's not healthy enough to play it would benefit the team greatly to see him retire. It would open up $20 million in precious salary cap relief. If they simply cut him with an injury settlement, that probably won't provide much more than $4-5 mil in cap relief. He obviously is completely un-tradeable right now.

On the + side, Lynch expressed that the team is Bosa is "doing great" with his recovery, and the team is "very pleased" with where he's at. This is obviously encouraging to hear, still I think they need to a deep audit into and re-evaluate their training, conditioning and medical staffs.

Unfortunately, back issues are very tricky. Hard to put a timetable on recoveries. I think he's had a back issue before. Yea, he may never play again. I was 100% in favor of that trade when it happened. I wasn't aware of his injury history.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,247

Post#2284 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 7:00 pm

If Ford retires, he'd be walking away from whatever guaranteed money is left on his deal?

Yeah why would he do that?
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#2285 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 8, 2021 9:23 pm

wco81 wrote:If Ford retires, he'd be walking away from whatever guaranteed money is left on his deal?

Yeah why would he do that?

There are various forms of guaranteed money. Not sure what type he has. I think it depends.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2286 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:25 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#2287 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:02 am

Frustrating watching the game today. When healthy, I think we're better than either of those teams.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#2288 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:22 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Frustrating watching the game today. When healthy, I think we're better than either of those teams.

I think there is no doubt we could have won the NFC again this year if we stayed semi healthy.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2289 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:43 am

arich35 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Frustrating watching the game today. When healthy, I think we're better than either of those teams.

I think there is no doubt we could have won the NFC again this year if we stayed semi healthy.

Yeah, its not like Frisco was the picture of health last season either and they still steamrolled the NFC.
tres
Sophomore
And1: 208

Post#2290 » by tres » Wed May 12, 2021 1:03 pm

We get the Lions Week 1! I’m super happy it’s not a divisional game to start off our 2021-22 season & if we’re healthy heading into that game no reason why we shouldn’t win!
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#2291 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:23 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=v-7X184t9txfzgZveexZZw
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#2292 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=b59wKyMTxTD0IYgQlPflGQ
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#2293 » by arich35 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:38 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=b59wKyMTxTD0IYgQlPflGQ

Huge. If CMC can be activate and get maybe 10-15 snaps that would be huge
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2294 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:23 pm

A lot was made of all the available QB's and their movement this past offseason. But man oh man, have the early returns been pretty hideous for most of those guys/teams.

Russell Wilson traded to Denver. Russ has been nothing short of brutal. With him sucking and Geno balling, its really starting to seem like Russ was mostly a product of the system. Apparently the majority of his former teammates hate his guts, which isn't exactly ideal for a QB.

Matt Ryan traded to Indy. Dude has been a turnover machine with a dead arm and zero mobility. He just got benched for good in favor of the mighty Sam Ehlinger who's never thrown an NFL pass.

Carson Wentz traded to Washington. Wentz was predictably terrible, and then got hurt. This week Heinecke steps in an gets a Win against the Packers. Wentz probably won't get the job back. If Heinecke struggles, they will turn to Sam Howell.

Baker Mayfield traded to Carolina. Baker was predictably terrible, and probably won't get his job back. If Walker sh*ts the bed, they will turn to Darnold

Deshaun Watson traded to Cleveland. He got suspended for 12 games, so its a complete TBD here. In the mean time, Brissett has been almost passable.

Mitch Trubisky signs with Pittsburgh. Mitch was predictably quite underwhelming and only lasted 5 games before getting benched.

Jameis Winston resigns with New Orleans: Struggled badly before getting hurt. Now he's lost his job to the immortal Andy Dalton.

Marcus Mariota signs with Atlanta. Mariota has easily been the most stable QB on this list, but he's not a long term solution.

This just goes to show that there just aren't a lot of good QB's out there, and teams that don't have a steady QB in house get desperate.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#2295 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:49 pm

thesack12 wrote:A lot was made of all the available QB's and their movement this past offseason. But man oh man, have the early returns been pretty hideous for most of those guys/teams.

Russell Wilson traded to Denver. Russ has been nothing short of brutal. With him sucking and Geno balling, its really starting to seem like Russ was mostly a product of the system. Apparently the majority of his former teammates hate his guts, which isn't exactly ideal for a QB.

Matt Ryan traded to Indy. Dude has been a turnover machine with a dead arm and zero mobility. He just got benched for good in favor of the mighty Sam Ehlinger who's never thrown an NFL pass.

Carson Wentz traded to Washington. Wentz was predictably terrible, and then got hurt. This week Heinecke steps in an gets a Win against the Packers. Wentz probably won't get the job back. If Heinecke struggles, they will turn to Sam Howell.

Baker Mayfield traded to Carolina. Baker was predictably terrible, and probably won't get his job back. If Walker sh*ts the bed, they will turn to Darnold

Deshaun Watson traded to Cleveland. He got suspended for 12 games, so its a complete TBD here. In the mean time, Brissett has been almost passable.

Mitch Trubisky signs with Pittsburgh. Mitch was predictably quite underwhelming and only lasted 5 games before getting benched.

Jameis Winston resigns with New Orleans: Struggled badly before getting hurt. Now he's lost his job to the immortal Andy Dalton.

Marcus Mariota signs with Atlanta. Mariota has easily been the most stable QB on this list, but he's not a long term solution.

This just goes to show that there just aren't a lot of good QB's out there, and teams that don't have a steady QB in house get desperate.

Seattle ended up looking real good with that trade, That trade was always questionable to me. Even if Wilson didn't stink it up this year, signing a 34 year old QB to a long term deal that relies on physical quickness to extend pass plays was a real risk. He is no Tom Brady from the pocket and not likely he would ever play like that from the pocket either.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#2296 » by thesack12 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:40 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:A lot was made of all the available QB's and their movement this past offseason. But man oh man, have the early returns been pretty hideous for most of those guys/teams.

Seattle ended up looking real good with that trade, That trade was always questionable to me. Even if Wilson didn't stink it up this year, signing a 34 year old QB to a long term deal that relies on physical quickness to extend pass plays was a real risk. He is no Tom Brady from the pocket and not likely he would ever play like that from the pocket either.

Yeah, its got to be pretty depressing to be a Broncos fan right now. Their QB who is about to enter his mid 30's has been terrible and he just signed an extremely expensive long term contract. They also have no premium draft picks for the next couple years.

We actually need Denver to start to win a few games, so the picks Seattle gets won't be as valuable.

Return to San Francisco 49ers