Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Re: The Colin Kaepernick Thread 

Post#42 » by zman1 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:08 pm

"Kaepernick the Patriot

By Science Teacher By Trade

Kaepernick the Patriot, by Science Teacher by Trade
"
Colin Kaepernick refused to stand as a matter of conscience, given his feeling that the flag represents “a country that oppresses black people and people of color.”

“Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire, called conscience.” – George Washington

He did so in the exercise of his freedom of speech.

“If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” – George Washington

This is his constitutionally guaranteed right.

“The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon.” – George Washington

Kaepernick did this because he felt attention needed to be drawn to this issue, and that this was his moral duty, because it is critical to speak truth to power.

“Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light.” – George Washington

For this, he has been attacked and criticized as at best rude, and at worst a traitor to his country.

“It is better to be alone than in bad company.” – George Washington

Those who have criticized him tend to announce their love of country, and condemn his actions as unbecoming of a patriot.

“Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” – George Washington

All you who stand and so loudly proclaim your outrage, and pronounce this man ungrateful…I do not know what exactly you are, but I know you are not patriots. Our founders knew that the higher allegiance was to the ideals of human rights: fair representation, equal treatment under the law, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. In the document that announced their break from Britain, they acknowledged that if those ideals are not observed by a government, then the citizen owes that government no respect, despite any bonds or ties, and despite the natural inclination to bear unfair governance rather than risk change. By this standard, Kaepernick was being generous, as is every person of color who chooses polite and peaceful protest in the tradition of Dr. King, rather than the terrorism of the KKK to effect political change.

No, you are not patriots, despite what you tell yourselves. At best, you are tribalists who cling to a flag rather than observe the principles it represents. At worst, you are a gang that wears the colors of red, white and blue and claim the authority to truly interpret what this country really means, although you are utterly deprived of that authority by law, tradition, and history.

But I tell you this: my ancestors arrived among the pilgrims almost 400 years ago. They fought in King Phillip’s War, the Anglo-Dutch Wars, King William’s War, Queen Anne’s War, King George’s War, and the French-Indian War. My ancestors fought in the Revolution, the Second War for Independence, the various Indian Wars, the Mexican-American War, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, and the World Wars. One grandfather flew as a pilot in the Pacific. One helped develop the atomic bomb. And on behalf of my ancestors, who both built this country, but who also did so by benefitting from the blood, sweat and tears of the oppressed: I am ashamed of you. I am ashamed of your lack of knowledge, and your lack of perspective. I am ashamed that you try to claim kinship to my patriotic heritage, for I proudly claim Kaepernick as a brother in liberty. And for those of you who condemn him, I repudiate you. Kaepernick is a patriot. You are traitors to the ideals of this country.

And if you don’t like me saying that? If you find it offensive? Hmmm. Maybe you like political correctness where people try not to be offensive to each other more than you thought…at least when it applies to you."
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#43 » by NinerSickness » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Would people please stop talking about the straw man that is DumbDumb's "constitutional right" to stand or not stand?

Exactly zero people say what he did was illegal. He could have just as easily flipped off the crowd & said "N*****s are stupid, inferiour people," and he would have had the exact same right to do that.

People are trying to sound like they're making a point with the non-point about his constitutional rights. It's a straw man, and it's entirely just changing the subject. The topic is really whether his point is stupid & factually incorrect, which it is. Look at table 43 on the FBI database, and you'll see that white people are killed by police at higher percentages than blacks are in total confrontations. It's a lie, and people are buying it because they're too lazy to fact check.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#44 » by MHSL82 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:37 am

NinerSickness wrote:Would people please stop talking about the straw man that is DumbDumb's "constitutional right" to stand or not stand?

Exactly zero people say what he did was illegal. He could have just as easily flipped off the crowd & said "N*****s are stupid, inferiour people," and he would have had the exact same right to do that.

People are trying to sound like they're making a point with the non-point about his constitutional rights. It's a straw man, and it's entirely just changing the subject. The topic is really whether his point is stupid & factually incorrect, which it is. Look at table 43 on the FBI database, and you'll see that white people are killed by police at higher percentages than blacks are in total confrontations. It's a lie, and people are buying it because they're too lazy to fact check.

But, but, but we know the intent of the victims are purer than their white counterparts that are shot and the police are terrible because of you know, history has been so bad to the minorities. One side is shot because it is hard to decipher risk quickly and the other is shot because they are a minority and the police are racist. I mean, this is common knowledge, yo.

Seriously speaking, there is racism for sure because I've seen it and this racism leads to some cops being more distrustful than they need be, it can cause one to suspect the wrong people, it can make them react too quickly due to overassessing the risks. There are racist cops like there are racist mailmen. There are power ego policemen who would shoot anyone if so challenged in a certain situation. There are incompetent police men, too.

I don't like that some are attributing some genius like planned conviction to Kaepernick. It is a protest and he does have a social issue he stands for, but this isn't MLK, George Washington, Lincoln, Ali, etc.

I'm glad you pointed out the freedom of speech constitutional issues. As an attorney, I've had people ask me to represent them on speech issues where it has nothing to do with government, public actors, state sponsored programs, or any other viable connection. Show me something I can entertain a theory of constitutional rights violation.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by NinerSickness » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:51 am

MHSL82 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Would people please stop talking about the straw man that is DumbDumb's "constitutional right" to stand or not stand?

But, but, but we know the intent of the victims are purer than their white counterparts that are shot and the police are terrible because of you know, history has been so bad to the minorities. One side is shot because it is hard to decipher risk quickly and the other is shot because they are a minority and the police are racist. I mean, this is common knowledge, yo.

Seriously speaking, there is racism for sure because I've seen it and this racism leads to some cops being more distrustful than they need be, it can cause one to suspect the wrong people, it can make them react too quickly due to overassessing the risks. There are racist cops like there are racist mailmen. There are power ego policemen who would shoot anyone if so challenged in a certain situation. There are incompetent police men, too.

I don't like that some are attributing some genius like planned conviction to Kaepernick. It is a protest and he does have a social issue he stands for, but this isn't MLK, George Washington, Lincoln, Ali, etc.

I'm glad you pointed out the freedom of speech constitutional issues. As an attorney, I've had people ask me to represent them on speech issues where it has nothing to do with government, public actors, state sponsored programs, or any other viable connection. Show me something I can entertain a theory of constitutional rights violation.

Cops have one of the s**ttiest jobs in the world, and every a**hole out there who talks trash about them would call the police if they needed help. The horrible cops who disgrace the uniform should't paint the entire profession as bad. And civilians mistreat cops about 100 times more often than cops mistreat civilians.

Black Americans are not oppressed any more. Not even slightly.

Black people get preferential treatment getting into college, getting business loans and getting jobs in the banking industry. It's illegal to deny blacks any good or service or right anyone else has. And anyone who says or does something bad against black people gets lit up on facebook & twitter while getting sued into the middle ages if they're a business.

Racism as a systemic, common thing in America is dead. ACTUAL cases of racism are headline news, now. People like Kaepernick are trying to keep racism on life support.
SeaNinersFan
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#46 » by SeaNinersFan » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:17 am

NinerSickness wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:

Cops have one of the s**ttiest jobs in the world, and every a**hole out there who talks trash about them would call the police if they needed help. The horrible cops who disgrace the uniform should't paint the entire profession as bad. And civilians mistreat cops about 100 times more often than cops mistreat civilians.

Black people get preferential treatment getting into college, getting business loans and getting jobs in the banking industry. It's illegal to deny blacks any good or service or right anyone else has. And anyone who says or does something bad against black people gets lit up on facebook & twitter while getting sued into the middle ages if they're a business.

Racism as a systemic, common thing in America is dead. ACTUAL cases of racism are headline news, now. People like Kaepernick are trying to keep racism on life support.

Do you actually believe this? It is this is simply not true. It is not as bad as it was 50 years ago but racism still exists in this country regardless if you want to believe. Since 2000 overtly racist hate groups have grown by 54% and "militant" groups, those that include racial hate speech in their rhetoric but not as a central tenant, have grown by more than 670%, to over 1,000 groups, since Obama was elected in 2008 (source: Southern Poverty Law Center).

As far as your data to support your statements, Table 43 of the FBI data base shows arrests by race and crime, not the number of police killings in the US. Maybe you are thinking about table 14, the "Justifiable Homicide by Weapon, Law Enforcement"? Unfortunately that table is not broken down by race, so I am not really sure where you statement that whites are killed at a higher percentage by police comes from, I would love to see it.

But since you brought up FBI table 43, lets talk about it. What that table does show is that blacks make up 28.3% of the total arrests in this country but blacks only account for 12.9% of the total population while whites account for 79.9% of the population and only 68.9% of the arrests. Population percentages are based on the 2010 consensus with their definition of white which includes white hispanics. Anyway, relative to the size of the population blacks are arrested at over twice the rate of whites which is a statistical anomaly unless something else is driving that behavior? Is that something racism, socioeconomics or are black genetically more inclined to crime?

Regarding your original post, I do find your comment about the freedom of speech thing humorous. Most of your rhetoric comes across as a conservative view point. Over the last several years a vast majority of the stories I have read about people crying about their freedom of speech are conservatives that say something offensive and are dealing with the critical backlash from the general public. But you are right, Kap's freedom of speech is not being impinged, he needs to deal with the critical backlash from the general public for his actions. I do think his actions were far more successful than he felt they would be. Who would have thought that the actions of a back up quarterback would still be talked about two weeks later in this day and age of news cycles turning over so quickly. The straw man that you did not mention is this nonsense about showing respect for the national anthem. It is not about him not standing for the national anthem because at every sporting event I have ever attended I see people walking around and failing to show respect for the national anthem all time and no one has ever said **** about it, ever. But because he linked it to inequality and racism in this country people are pissed. So my question is why? Why is everyone pissed at Kap but not the people who feel it is more import to get their beer than show respect for the flag?
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#47 » by MHSL82 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:52 am

NinerSickness wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:

I guess this is my fault by not sticking to one side, but I was talking about existence. With the number of police out there, there has to be some racist ones and those probably are amongst the many shootings, of which are not racially affected. In a vacuum, there are racist shootings, conscious or not. I was trying to avoid implying that racism is never there due to what my first paragraph of sarcasm might imply. I also tried to add in the other reasons for shootings like ego trips, incompetency, and the shootings of other races that aren't attributed to racism (skewing perspectives).

The truth is there is racism out there individually, both in those who act and those who see people act. Racist people assume a white cop shot a minority because of race and they assume this due to the cop's race (which is racist to assume), the fact that the person shot had no weapon (irrelevant to whether the cop thought he did), and the history of other white people and minorities (which is prejudicial to the cop being able to truly explain his actions or thoughts), and layman's interpretation of facts told by who knows who (unreliable).

Now, there will be racist cops who can hide by the "you can't prove it" fact, but many are condemned by the "you must be hiding" conclusion of those from the other perspective.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#48 » by RedneckNiner » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:42 pm

Wow...Kaepernick has the right to free speech. But lets look at racism. It does exist has always existed and probably will always exist. For political purpose it will always be covertly encouraged expecially by the Democrat party. What better way to ensure votes than to convince people they are oppressed and claim to be yhe only ones standing up for them... Its even better when that same party founded the KKK , had a member Byrd who was a grand wizard of the Klan, had 80 percent of its members vote against civil rights , 100 percent voting against the right to vote. The party that tied in the eventual election of Hayez and to break the gridlock forced the deal that pulled union soldiets out of the South after the war and leaving all the newly freed slaves to the wolves. Allowing the Klan to grow and run rampant with their terrorism and hateful rhetoric for years.

Racism is a horrible thing born of ignorance and hatred. A wise man once said Judge by the content of character not the color of skin and nothing could be better advice. As for offended...all i ever see is libtards screaming be open minded while screaming and suing everyone in sight if they say anything they don't agree with. You want to make things better ACTUALLY have an open mind practice tolerance instead of just preaching it. Instead of just looking at raw numbers and claiming percentages are out of wack. Look and see why and how we can move in a direction to change it for the positive. Instead of trusting the government to fix it ...which has been nothing but epic failure after epic failure we have a civic responsibilty as individuals and a community to make it better.

As the police shootings go lets look at them..Ferguson the Gentle Giant assaulted and beat the crap out of a convience store clerk and then wrestled with a cop. Forensic evidence and eyewitness accounts supported the police officer..It was a legal and justifiable shoot although questionable.
The one in New York where the officer choked out the gentleman selling cigarretes...murder plain and simple.
Cleveland the shooting in the car...waiting to see how this plays out but he did have a gun in the car..did have prior convictions for a felony so it was illegal for him to possess a gun but from all accounts wadnt reaching for it bad so I lean to bad shooting.
The Baltimore incident much harder my belief is they made a mistake but there was no intent yet a man still died who should not have.
The young child with the airgun ...just well wrong
Milwaukee the video was released he pointed a firearm at a cop...Completely justified.

A large part of the problem is our media outlets hear...Police shoot black man and they run their narrative before the facts come out to stir up interest and sell copies. Then when people riot they revel in it.

Any profession has bad people its a fact. Because 1% of police are bad is not a reason to indict 100%. Rioting is not the answer. While I disagree with Kaepernicks method I do like him and the Niners putting money and raising awareness. Regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sexual preference etc. We are Americans and a community its up to all of us to work to solve the problems. The community needs to partnet with law enforcement make their concerns vocal, law enforcement needs to be receptive and learn new ways to handle things. Partner with teachers help teach our children the right ways and educate them. Not let schools just be babysitters. The only way to beat all of this is education racism can only exist in partnership with ignorance. If we educate racism will wither.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#49 » by I_am_1z » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:35 am

What do you guys have against standing against racism?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,202

Post#50 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:38 am

Looks like a lot of the games today featured some big displays for the national anthem.

But that may have more to do with 9/11 anniversary.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by NinerSickness » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:06 am

SeaNinersFan wrote:Do you actually believe this? It is this is simply not true. It is not as bad as it was 50 years ago but racism still exists in this country regardless if you want to believe. Since 2000 overtly racist hate groups have grown by 54% and "militant" groups, those that include racial hate speech in their rhetoric but not as a central tenant, have grown by more than 670%, to over 1,000 groups, since Obama was elected in 2008 (source: Southern Poverty Law Center).

Name one group like that anyone takes seriously any more. We're talking about oppression, not a****les making websites that get 3 hits every month. The great thing about America is that we can ignore these people. You can't ignore getting arrested for inter-racially marrying or getting thrown out of a diner 'cause you're black.

SeaNinersFan wrote:As far as your data to support your statements, Table 43 of the FBI data base shows arrests by race and crime, not the number of police killings in the US.

326 whites were killed by cops that year; 123 blacks were killed by cops in the same year. Divide the total killed by the total arrests of each race, and you'll see that whites are killed at a higher rate than blacks in total confrontations. It's mathematically provable that Kaepernick's point is bogus.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by NinerSickness » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:08 am

I_am_1z wrote:What do you guys have against standing against racism?

Everyone should stand against racism. What they shouldn't do is make up cases of racism where there isn't any.

Dillan Roof = real racism.

Darren Wilson = a cop who got attacked by a 300-pound black guy who tried to take his gun.

Cops are not out there hunting black guys like Kaepernick would have you believe. Every race has clueless hoodlums who resist arrest & get beat up or shot; and it actually happens to whites at a higher percentage than blacks.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#53 » by zman1 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:42 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:What do you guys have against standing against racism?

Everyone should stand against racism. What they shouldn't do is make up cases of racism where there isn't any.

Dillan Roof = real racism.

Darren Wilson = a cop who got attacked by a 300-pound black guy who tried to take his gun.

Cops are not out there hunting black guys like Kaepernick would have you believe. Every race has clueless hoodlums who resist arrest & get beat up or shot; and it actually happens to whites at a higher percentage than blacks.

I assume you are a white guy and you have no clue what it is like to be black in this nation. As a white guy, did you ever get "the talk" from your parents, or give it to your kids? If you don't know what I mean, look it up. Deleted

I heard a nearly unbelievable anecdote recently. A black couple said that their goal for their young son was that he survive long enough to make it into prison, because there he would be relatively safe. Can you imagine a white couple ever thinking that?

No issue with the subject nor point you are trying to make but please don't use "Deleted comment" as part of your counter. I feel that could be taken wrongly and takes away from your opinion.

- Calamity
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by NinerSickness » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:26 am

zman1 wrote:I assume you are a white guy and you have no clue what it is like to be black in this nation. As a white guy, did you ever get "the talk" from your parents, or give it to your kids? If you don't know what I mean, look it up. Deleted

I heard a nearly unbelievable anecdote recently. A black couple said that their goal for their young son was that he survive long enough to make it into prison, because there he would be relatively safe. Can you imagine a white couple ever thinking that?

What you're referring to has zero to do with oppression. You can't cite a single policy, law or common practice that oppresses black people in America. Not one. In fact, laws actually give black people an advantage getting into college, getting loans and so on.

The reason this couple is saying that is because they live in a s**t part of a s**tty city with s**tty, gov't-run, monopoly schools that oppose school choice, tons of drug use and a HUGE problem in the American-black culture when it comes to families (absent fathers, women who suck at teaching boys how to become men), and that's not the fault of racism. That's a cultural problem people have to address on an individual basis.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#55 » by zman1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:31 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
zman1 wrote:I assume you are a white guy and you have no clue what it is like to be black in this nation. As a white guy, did you ever get "the talk" from your parents, or give it to your kids? If you don't know what I mean, look it up. Deleted

What you're referring to has zero to do with oppression. You can't cite a single policy, law or common practice that oppresses black people in America. Not one. In fact, laws actually give black people an advantage getting into college, getting loans and so on.

The reason this couple is saying that is because they live in a s**t part of a s**tty city with s**tty, gov't-run, monopoly schools that oppose school choice, tons of drug use and a HUGE problem in the American-black culture when it comes to families (absent fathers, women who suck at teaching boys how to become men), and that's not the fault of racism. That's a cultural problem people have to address on an individual basis.

Aahh, spoken like a nice white man who has it all figured out. He knows all right from all wrong all the time.

I can point to a common practice that oppresses black people in America: the fact that they are treated to far more scrutiny, hassles, and violence from police. Its a fact. I know, your poor oppressed white man soul cannot deal with that but its true.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#56 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:56 pm

**OK, pause for break here.**

This is a sensitive subject for some and while it does evoke passion, often times we can get too riled up. It's a national debate concerning the anthem protest and there's still the display of racism(for all n by all) in our beloved country.

The last few posts, in my opinion, are getting too personal and I wouldn't want our 49ers community to be strained or fall apart due to individual/personal views and opinions. I expect(as we all for ourselves) to respect the views and opinions of others. We should be free to do so without any personal attacks, backhanded comments, uninformed rants or any other backlash that could be perceived crossing the line.

I'll take responsibility for letting this go as long as it did but the responses are getting very close to the border of confrontational.

If someone disagrees with me, please PM me and I'll listen to your valid claims and adjust from there.

If someone is feeling offended, let me or MHSL82 know and we'll take immediate action.

If we can please avoid using any derogative references or attacks, the conversation can continue to grow and it would be much easier to read.

Thank you,
Calamity
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#57 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:03 pm

If anything, lets return this thread to be about the QB Colin Kaepernick.

If everyone feels the discussion on the anthem protest needs to continue, lets do so in another thread. Let me know if I should create one.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by NinerSickness » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:40 am

zman1 wrote:Aahh, spoken like a nice white man who has it all figured out. He knows all right from all wrong all the time.

I can point to a common practice that oppresses black people in America: the fact that they are treated to far more scrutiny, hassles, and violence from police. Its a fact.

First of all, save your "white people can't post FBI statistics" theory. It's tired. Lots of black people are saying the exact same thing I am. This Harvard professor is black; he's a black liberal who was shocked by these results:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/11/no-racial-bias-police-shootings-study-harvard-prof/

Second of all, you know what else is a fact? That black people commit far, FAAAARRR more crime than white people do. That's why they're in confrontations with police far more often. Take murder for example: black people commit murder 7 to 8 times as often, per capita, as white people do. The numbers are even more one-sided with aggravated assault.

**edit**
Maybe I'm overreacting here, but please keep the tones down. Please use people of color or African Americans as a reference rather than "black people".

I do know its not racist to say it but if we can avoid any misinterpretations and/or meaning i'm all for it.

I know you're not intending any maliciousness but I think we should change that reference from now. If you don't agree with me Sick, please PM me and we can talk about it.

Thanks,
Calamity
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by NinerSickness » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:39 pm

NinerSickness wrote:[color=#FF0000][size=150]**edit**
Maybe I'm overreacting here, but please keep the tones down. Please use people of color or African Americans as a reference rather than "black people".

"Colored people" is bad but "people of color" is good? :crazy:

You're not just being oversensitive; you're being... I don't know what it is. Way beyond oversensitive. The terms "black people" or "white people" are not derogatory. Zero people on planet earth think the term "black people" is derogatory.

The term "African-American" is a convoluted, inaccurate term. Not all blacks are descendants of Africa. That's why I never use it unless someone specifically asks me to refer to him or her that way.

Return to San Francisco 49ers