Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,216

Re: STALEY ON THE TRADE BLOCK 

Post#21 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:41 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:According to multiple reports, Joe Staley is on the trade block with the Niners seeking a 1st round pick for him. Great, we can get another DB!

Yea, maybe Baalke figures if he drafts twenty corners he might eventually find one that turns into a pro bowler.

He actually hasnt done a bad job drafting DBs. Jimmie Ward has Pro Bowl potential, as does Rashard Robinson. Reaser and Johnson could start as well for some teams. Will Redmond will play soon too. The corners are the least of my worries. What pisses me off is him devaluing skill positions and stubbornly continuing to draft ACL "value" players. We have the same weaknesses this year that we had last year.

When he's drafting 5 DBs a year, he's bound to hit on a few.

That's his entire philosophy. We've been drafting 11+ players every year for the last 4 years. You're bound to hit on a couple. But there's no method to the madness. Just throwing darts at the board.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#22 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:04 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:According to multiple reports, Joe Staley is on the trade block with the Niners seeking a 1st round pick for him. Great, we can get another DB!

Yea, maybe Baalke figures if he drafts twenty corners he might eventually find one that turns into a pro bowler.

He actually hasnt done a bad job drafting DBs. Jimmie Ward has Pro Bowl potential, as does Rashard Robinson. Reaser and Johnson could start as well for some teams. Will Redmond will play soon too. The corners are the least of my worries. What pisses me off is him devaluing skill positions and stubbornly continuing to draft ACL "value" players. We have the same weaknesses this year that we had last year.

I've heard a lot about the potential of a lot of these players, but until they realize it we can't say they were great picks. Reid was a pro bowler his first year, but hasn't been just okay since. Ward, Tartt, and Robinson have looked good at times but so far all we can say is they are good players at best. We don't know that Reaser and Johnson would be starters on other teams. They haven't played enough to tell. You would think if Reaser, Johnson, and others were starting material that Baalke would not have had to spend multiple picks the following year on corners. We'll see, but I am starting to turn pessimistic on Baalke's picks. Yes, he has drafted a couple of corners that look like they could turn out to be good to really good players. But as Clyde pointed out, when you spend that kind of draft capital to the detriment of other positions by the way, you are liking to hit on a couple of them.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#23 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:03 pm

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#24 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:17 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

I've heard a lot about the potential of a lot of these players, but until they realize it we can't say they were great picks. Reid was a pro bowler his first year, but hasn't been just okay since. Ward, Tartt, and Robinson have looked good at times but so far all we can say is they are good players at best. We don't know that Reaser and Johnson would be starters on other teams. They haven't played enough to tell. You would think if Reaser, Johnson, and others were starting material that Baalke would not have had to spend multiple picks the following year on corners. We'll see, but I am starting to turn pessimistic on Baalke's picks. Yes, he has drafted a couple of corners that look like they could turn out to be good to really good players. But as Clyde pointed out, when you spend that kind of draft capital to the detriment of other positions by the way, you are liking to hit on a couple of them.

I agree. They are good, never said they were great. And Reid to me is very disappointing since 2013...But overall, the secondary is the least of my worries. I say put a good pass rush in front of them and they will be just fine.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#25 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:45 pm

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#26 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:31 pm

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Post#27 » by DoobieKeebler » Wed Nov 2, 2016 2:18 am

He's injured so I don't think so. But now that the dead llne passed, it's moot.

Return to San Francisco 49ers