I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Re: Torrey Smith for Jordan Matthews??? 

Post#21 » by I_am_1z » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:07 pm

clyde21 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
He also doesn't fit Kelly's offense at all.

Either he's getting open or he doesn't fit the offense. He can't be both. I would side with Clyde here and say he doesn't fit. Every now and then we get footage of Torrey being open—not getting the ball, but that doesn't tell the whole story. He's being draped throughout games and the QB forgets he's on the field the one pass he isn't.

Why not? Kelly's offense is predicated on quick decision making by the QB and short/intermediate timing patterns by the WRs. That''s not Smith's forte at all. He's a stretch WR that likes to go deep. He wants to be in an offense that has a lot of play-action and five and seven step drops - long enough for him to go deep and for a QB to be able to consistently threaten vertically. This is why he did well in Baltimore. He was a perfect fit for that offense, and an even better fit with Flacco.

Him being open or not has nothing to do with his fit in this offense.

So he's open after the play is either dead or ball has been thrown. It's useless to be open after the fact...
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#22 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:21 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Either he's getting open or he doesn't fit the offense. He can't be both. I would side with Clyde here and say he doesn't fit. Every now and then we get footage of Torrey being open—not getting the ball, but that doesn't tell the whole story. He's being draped throughout games and the QB forgets he's on the field the one pass he isn't.

Why not? Kelly's offense is predicated on quick decision making by the QB and short/intermediate timing patterns by the WRs. That''s not Smith's forte at all. He's a stretch WR that likes to go deep. He wants to be in an offense that has a lot of play-action and five and seven step drops - long enough for him to go deep and for a QB to be able to consistently threaten vertically. This is why he did well in Baltimore. He was a perfect fit for that offense, and an even better fit with Flacco.

So he's open after the play is either dead or ball has been thrown. It's useless to be open after the fact...

Well...that's my point. His strengths don't fit the identity of this offense.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#23 » by I_am_1z » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Well...that's my point. His strengths don't fit the identity of this offense.

That's my point, he ISN'T getting OPEN short. :)
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#24 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 7:45 pm

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 7:45 pm

Eagles want to give 5th, niners asking for 3rd
The ModFather

CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 7:48 pm

For my selfish reasons, I'd take a 4th and DGB for Torrey.
The ModFather

Return to San Francisco 49ers