QB Options for 2017?

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#161 » by thesack12 » Sat Feb 4, 2017 5:43 pm

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - Patriots

Presumptive 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said he was high on Jimmy Garoppolo leading up to the 2014 NFL Draft.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports Garoppolo was Shanahan's second rated quarterback behind Derek Carr. "He was a very good thrower," said Shanahan. "I really thought he was a very intelligent, tough player with a good throwing motion." All of this is important, of course, because Shanahan will be in a position to make a real run at Garoppolo in the trade market this offseason. The 49ers will have competition from at least the Browns and Bears, but if Shanahan really wants Garoppolo, the 49ers should be major players in the market.

Related: 49ers
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Feb 4 - 10:25 AM

Its sounding more and more like its going to be a bidding war for Garoppolo. Which is probably a result of multiple teams thinking Jimmy could be the answer and the QB's in this draft being pretty underwhelming.

Ultimately I think Cleveland drafts Garret #1, and trades #12 for Garoppolo, which would immediately catapult that team's outlook.

I'm hoping the Jets get antsy and offer a huge package to Frisco for #2 to leapfrog Chicago and take the QB of their choice.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#162 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Feb 5, 2017 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#163 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Feb 5, 2017 3:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#164 » by Dodub » Sun Feb 5, 2017 4:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#165 » by Jikkle » Sun Feb 5, 2017 5:55 pm

The roster is about to have 0 QBs on it so adding Schaub wouldn't surprise me. Coaches like to bring guys that know their system much like Chip did when he brought Thad Lewis.

As far as Schaub starting I wouldn't love it by any means but 2017 is going to be a rebuilding year anyways so as long as the QB of the future is on the roster I don't mind Schaub taking the lumps and letting the rookie sit.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#166 » by RedneckNiner » Sun Feb 5, 2017 7:16 pm

Comparing the Garrapolo Brady thing to Montana Young is apples to airplanes so different its not even funny. Montana was coming back from a long Injury Young led the Niners to the playoffs and was established as a good qb. Young had more talent in his pinkie toe than Garrapolo will ever even dream of having. The Niners had tge clear Qb of the future the patriots have well he looked good in 2 games... if the Niners trade the first round pick for any Qb not named Luck, Ryan or Rodgers it will show they are tbe stupidest front office in the history of sports.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#167 » by thesack12 » Sun Feb 5, 2017 11:22 pm

I have no idea what type of effect Schaub has in the QB room or holding a clipboard on the sideline, but he would provide next to nothing on the field in terms of helping to develop a young offense. That guy struggles every Sunday to pull his jersey over the fork sticking out of his back.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#168 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Feb 7, 2017 10:53 pm

Mike Garafolo:

Browns are releasing QB Josh McCown, source says.

I can't remember where I posted it but when the Schaub news came out the other day I said I'd MUCH rather have Brian Hoyer over Schaub. Well, I'd probably take a healthy McCown over Schaub and Hoyer. McCown will have options outside of football as well so I'm not even going to take for granted that he'll be in the NFL next year.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#169 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 10:15 pm

Do we think, Cutler would even be interested in coming to San Francisco?

Jay has benefitted from having great receiving talent around him for most of his career, so even if he is open to short term bridge type options (I'm personally skeptical he is) I doubt he will see the talent deficient 49ers a good option to stop by for a bit and help rebuild his stock.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#170 » by Jikkle » Wed Feb 8, 2017 11:33 pm

Schaub is probably the guy who knows Shanahan's offense the best out of the guys available so he might be worth it as a backup/helper QB type. Next season is going to be a lost season anyways so it really doesn't matter to me if Schaub is the starter or not because he clearly would be just taking the lumps while the rookie develops if we go that route.

My feeling is everything is going to hinge on what happens with Cousins. If the Redskins can't work out a long-term deal with Cousins I can see the 9ers just waiting for Cousins next offseason and pick him up as a free agent. They would give him the contract he wants and he would be more than willing to join up with Shanahan again. They could trade for him especially if another team is vying for him but I don't see them selling the farm for him either.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#171 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 12:50 am

Cousins isn't that young though.

They may want to use a 3rd on a rookie QB. Or save picks to go all in on trading up if necessary for the 2018 draft.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#172 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 1:17 am

If Schaub is coming in as the #2, I don't see any harm in that. I just personally don't see much upside to bringing him in as the bridge guy. He is cooked.

Mike Glennon is someone who could be a decent option as a bridge guy. He provides mush more upside than Schaub does, and I could envision him wanting to come to San Francisco in such a capacity. Might be one of the few options he has to step into a starting job and try to prove his worth thus creating a healthier market for him next offseason.

Still, I'm in the Garoppolo camp. Assuming he could be had for nothing more expensive than #34
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#173 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Feb 9, 2017 1:58 am

I might do Jimmy G and the Pats first for our 1. Might.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#174 » by Dodub » Thu Feb 9, 2017 2:17 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:I might do Jimmy G and the Pats first for our 1. Might.

I'd feel more comfortable exchanging 2nd rounders with them for Jimmy G. He hasn't done enough for the first IMO.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#175 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 2:42 am

I'd love to trade #2 to the Titans for #5 + #18, then trade #34 for Garoppolo. However, I don't envision Tennessee having any interest in that.
wco81
RealGM

Post#176 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:51 am

I guess we'll get an idea of how Kyle and Lynch assess the roster by what they do with the QB. They don't make a big trade unless they think the team can b competitive for the playoffs in a couple of seasons.

If they try with a low ceiling QB, it would indicate they think the team is far away and would be better off tanking for higher draft position in 2018, which is suppose to have a better draft class.

If they're willing to trade the #2 or the #34, that's a huge bet they're making. They have to really be willing to go down with Jimmy G or Cousins as their choice for the duration of their contract. Unlikely they get another chance to make such a big bet again.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#177 » by RedneckNiner » Thu Feb 9, 2017 4:55 am

Kolb, Flynn, Cassel... make me say hell no to a first or even a second for Garrapolo... The Patriots could put Cody Pickett, RG3, or even Tebow at QB and make them look decent. Just please no Garrapolo will end up Hamstringing the Niners for years...
thesack12
RealGM

Post#178 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 1:14 pm

RedneckNiner wrote:Kolb, Flynn, Cassel... make me say hell no to a first or even a second for Garrapolo... The Patriots could put Cody Pickett, RG3, or even Tebow at QB and make them look decent. Just please no Garrapolo will end up Hamstringing the Niners for years...

If we are throwing in some non NE quarterbacks into the discussion, I'll throw Brett Favre in there. Also, Garoppolo was a much better prospect coming out of college than all those guys you mentioned so its not solely his time in NE that is driving up his market.

The way I look at it is this, the probability is high that Frisco is going to draft a QB in the early rounds so assuming the trade isn't #2 the draft capital it takes to get Garoppolo is inconsequential.

To build on that, I personally am not real high on any of the QB's in the draft. I like Watson the most, but as of now I'm not sold on him and am much higher on Garoppolo. Also none of these rookie QB's are capable of stepping in day one and being the guy, a few are arguably a couple years away.

I am aware of Garoppolo's contract situation. But to me, thats not too much of a factor as SF is absolutely flush with cap space and will have to spend a ton of money anyways. In addition, as mentioned earlier these QB prospects are not ready to play, so the team will be wasting however many years of cheap QB play it take them to get ready to get on the field.

One more thing, there are no guarantees any of these QB's workout long term including Garoppolo. That being the case I still lean towards going with the guy that is ready for the field today because if he flops the team will be able to move forward a lot quicker. If they take someone like Trubisky and he ends up failing it could be 4-5 years until they move on from him, 2 years of seasoning on the bench then 2-3 years of seeing what he does on the field.

So for me it comes down to who do you like better as a prospect? Garoppolo or any of the QB's in the draft. For me personally its clearly Jimmy, from a talent perspective as well as all of the other factors I mentioned above.

Now if you just aren't high on Jimmy's talent and skill set that's one thing, but to give it a blanket no because other backup QB's have failed when they went to new teams and became the guy is not a very thorough way to view it.
wco81
RealGM

Post#179 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 1:39 pm

Mike Lombardi said NFL FO people will tend to favor Garoppolo and Glennon over rookies because there is plenty of film on them playing against NFL defenses.

He's really bullish on Garoppolo but admits he's enamored of most things the Pats do.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#180 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 9, 2017 1:46 pm

wco81 wrote:Mike Lombardi said NFL FO people will tend to favor Garoppolo and Glennon over rookies because there is plenty of film on them playing against NFL defenses.

He's really bullish on Garoppolo but admits he's enamored of most things the Pats do.

Well there isn't a ton of film on Garoppolo, but on the flip side there isn't a lot of college film on a guy like Trubisky either.

This years QB class is just throroughly underwhelming. If they were in last year's draft, would any of these guys even supplant Paxton Lynch @ 26?

Return to San Francisco 49ers