ImageImageImageImageImage

QB Options for 2017?

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,214

Re: QB Options for 2017? 

Post#61 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 7, 2017 3:44 am

wco81 wrote:After Baalke's drafts, the last thing the 49ers need to do is to take risks.

Yeah the potential reward is high but so is the risk, like using picks on Lattimore, Brandon Thomas and others.

At least in those cases, they were gambling on players who might have graded higher than where they were chosen because of the injuries.

In this case, most people would call these players a huge reach at #2, missing out on a chance to get players who should become all-pros at positions the team needs to fill.

The first thing the 49ers need to do is find a QB, or none it of it matters. You can draft the next J.J. Watt with the 2nd overall pick (see Texans), and if you don't have a QB it won't matter. You'd still be a mediocre, treadmill team. If you've identified a QB that can be your franchise signal caller, you pull the trigger. If you're gonna pass that up for a "safe pick" for a year of production, you're gonna be laughing stock of the league for the foreseeable future.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,281

Post#62 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 7, 2017 3:53 am

Yes a QB is the most important position but that doesn't mean they have to draft one very high this year.

Last year there were a couple of QBs considered among the top 10 or top 5 players of the class.

This year? So far not so much. Maybe that changes with the combine and the pro days.

If those ratings don't change before the end of April, then they can draft one of them in the late first round or early second round, either trade down or up if necessary.

But reach 30 spots above where they're graded?

Who knows, maybe the new GM and HC will overvalue the QB position and do it.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#63 » by clyde21 » Sat Jan 7, 2017 7:09 pm

wco81 wrote:Yes a QB is the most important position but that doesn't mean they have to draft one very high this year.

Last year there were a couple of QBs considered among the top 10 or top 5 players of the class.

This year? So far not so much. Maybe that changes with the combine and the pro days.

If those ratings don't change before the end of April, then they can draft one of them in the late first round or early second round, either trade down or up if necessary.

You're still not understanding what I'm saying.

IF you see these two guys as potential franchise guys, you have to make the pick, regardless of how risk-averse you might be. The QB position is just that important.

If you don't think these guys are good prospects then it's a different discussion, but it doesn't pertain to my point.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#64 » by Jikkle » Sat Jan 7, 2017 10:09 pm

clyde21 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Yes a QB is the most important position but that doesn't mean they have to draft one very high this year.

You're still not understanding what I'm saying.

IF you see these two guys as potential franchise guys, you have to make the pick, regardless of how risk-averse you might be. The QB position is just that important.

If you don't think these guys are good prospects then it's a different discussion, but it doesn't pertain to my point.

I agree with you here Clyde. If a team has done it's homework and feels good about a guy you pull the trigger regardless of the risk.

The problem is that bad teams are desperate for a QB and talk themselves into a QB prospect and they overlook their flaws which is why you wind up with Gabbert, Ponder, EJ Manuel, etc.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#65 » by RedneckNiner » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:00 am

The Texans say hi from the playoffs with a great defense and a crappy Qb
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 957

Post#66 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:08 am

CalamityX12 wrote:I'd stay away from NE. Any trade with them will end up fleecing us.

I realize this is an old post, but I was thinking just the other day that we actually got the better of the Joe Staley trade, against all odds. We got a pick in the late-20s in 2007, and gave up I think the 8th pick in 2008. But they ended up with Jerod Mayo - a very good, but not elite, ILB who had some injury issues - and we ended up with a perennial pro bowler at LT, who came in at bargain rates because of where he was picked.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 957

Post#67 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:18 am

RedneckNiner wrote:The Texans say hi from the playoffs with a great defense and a crappy Qb

Yes, but to be fair, the Texans play in the worst division in football - and it's not particularly close. And then got a team in the playoffs that clinched a playoff berth early and then lost their starting QB. I wouldn't take them to beat any other playoff team this year, except maybe Detroit.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#68 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 8, 2017 4:40 pm

Tyrod Taylor - QB - Bills

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Bills owners "expressed remorse" to interim coach Anthony Lynn for making him bench Tyrod Taylor in Week 17.

The bizarre move to bench Taylor came down from ownership, who deemed it a "business decision." Per Rapoport, Lynn "likes Taylor" and wouldn't have benched him on his own. Most reports have suggested the Bills are ready to move on from Taylor but perhaps they're reevaluating that stance. Taylor will never be an elite downfield passer but his mobility is a huge plus and he's better than any quarterback the Bills have had in recent memory. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Buffalo's next head coach would have more control over the 53-man roster. If Lynn lands the job as many expect, there's a good chance he'll maintain Taylor as the team's starting quarterback.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jan 8 - 10:30 AM
wco81
RealGM

Post#69 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 8, 2017 7:49 pm

I haven't seen a lot of Taylor but what is special about him? Mobility for the run option?

Does he have good escapability and more production against pressure defense?

Kap's production this year was actually better than Taylor's. But one thing Kap doesn't do well, despite his athleticism, is escape pressure, like Wilson does so well. Seems like being shorter and being more shifty works better than being a long strider like Kaep when it comes to spinning away from free runner. Now if Taylor is more of a playmaker in those situations, like Wilson is, I can see the appeal.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#70 » by RedneckNiner » Sun Jan 8, 2017 10:11 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
RedneckNiner wrote:The Texans say hi from the playoffs with a great defense and a crappy Qb

Yes, but to be fair, the Texans play in the worst division in football - and it's not particularly close. And then got a team in the playoffs that clinched a playoff berth early and then lost their starting QB. I wouldn't take them to beat any other playoff team this year, except maybe Detroit.

I agree but only to a point. Denver won a supet Bowl with stellar defense, Osweiler and a severely gimped Manning...Meanwhile with Bad defenses Luck and Brees are doing what exactly. If there is that franchise Qb in the draft you grab him at 2 even if its reaching a bit. I just don't see that Qb in this years draft. So IMO if Garret is on the board thats the pick. If you trade thats good too yhis team has 8 or more gaping holes. If they go defense in the first round and get a wr or qb in the second im good. Can always bring in a stopgap qb. This team is at least two years from being seriously competive.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#71 » by Ray_Dogg » Sun Jan 8, 2017 10:42 pm

wco81 wrote:I haven't seen a lot of Taylor but what is special about him? Mobility for the run option?

Does he have good escapability and more production against pressure defense?

Kap's production this year was actually better than Taylor's. But one thing Kap doesn't do well, despite his athleticism, is escape pressure, like Wilson does so well. Seems like being shorter and being more shifty works better than being a long strider like Kaep when it comes to spinning away from free runner. Now if Taylor is more of a playmaker in those situations, like Wilson is, I can see the appeal.

Last year when he had a healthy Sammy Watkins he really excelled on deep passing. He has accuracy and touch Kaep will never possess.

Production is the last thing I would compliment Kaep on. Total up his second half performances and it's not worth talking about anymore. Everyone needs to move on.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#72 » by NinerSickness » Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:39 am

Mitch or bust.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#73 » by Dodub » Mon Jan 9, 2017 3:34 am

NinerSickness wrote:Mitch is a bust.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#74 » by NinerSickness » Mon Jan 9, 2017 4:47 am

Dodub wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Mitch is a bust.

You're supposed to say: FIFY.

It wouldn't be the draft if we didn't have polar opposite opinions about the top QB(s).

Bustford, Freeman, Bridgewater, Geno (I didn't like any of them)... Now you're saying Trubisky will be a bust?

I think the only QB on whom we've agreed in the last few years is Manziel (whom we both despised).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#75 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:22 pm

To people who are so against Trubisky, can you explain why? I still need to watch more, but I like everything I've seen so far, and I think I'm a pretty tough judge of QB prospects. I almost never have QBs rated highly (since 2012 I've only had four: Luck/Carr/Winston/Goff). I have some reservations still, but I actually like both Trub and Kizer.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#76 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:35 pm

This is like a 70 yard rope by Kizer:

wco81
RealGM

Post#77 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:37 pm

People may like them but not necessarily at #2.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#78 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:This is like a 70 yard rope by Kizer:

Myhomie:
Read on Twitter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#79 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 5:49 pm

wco81 wrote:People may like them but not necessarily at #2.

Then where do you like them?

10? 15?

If you think they're good enough to draft at 10, why don't you think they're good enough to draft at 2? Seems arbitrary to me.
wco81
RealGM

Post#80 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 9, 2017 6:19 pm

Because if there are 10 players who could contribute right away, you go for them rather than guys who are projects.

With all the needs on this team, it doesn't have the luxury of taking on players who may or may not pan out in the future.

Return to San Francisco 49ers