ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 John Lynch hired as GM & Kyle Shanahan named HC

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Re: 2017 John Lynch hired as GM & Kyle Shanahan named HC 

Post#1601 » by NinerSickness » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:30 am

RedneckNiner wrote:Sick you have moved into the realm of the absurd you do not do any GMs job better than they do.

Bull s**t. Look at my track record versus the Niners over the last couple of decades; I absolutely would've done a better job than the clowns running this franchise.

2: Trubisky
34: Cam Robinson over Foster
66: Pat Elflein over Witherspoon
109: Carl Lawson over Beathard

...Didn't have a strong opinion about the rest.

1. Buckner
1a. Robert Nkemdiche (over Garrett)
3. Will Redmond

1. Shane Ray over Armstead
2. Frank Clark over Jaquiski Tartt

1. Bradley Roby over Jimmie Ward
2. Carlos Hyde
3. Marcus Martin
4. Donte Moncrief over Chris Borland
5. Brandon Thomas
6. Aaron Lynchover Dontae Johnson
7. E.J. Gaines over Kenneth Acker

1. Tyler Eifert over Reid
2. Johnathan Hankins over Tank
2a. Terron Armstead over Vance
4. Corey Lemonier (admittedly loved this pick)

1. Cordy Glenn over AJ Jenkins
2. Dwayne Allen over Lamichael James
4. Josh Chapman over Joe Looney

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#1602 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:09 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
If the answer is your coach, you hired a s**t GM. Evaluating play is his entire job. He doesn't have to teach them or scheme; he just has to pick the best players.

That. Is bull. Both.Pete Carroll and Bill Belicheck both have a significant influence on player selection. So did Bill walsh

Belichick is also the GM. Shannahan is not.

And having influence doesn't mean the buck doesn't stop at you. If you're a GM who defers to someone else, then you shouldn't be the GM. You consider advice, but the buck stops at you. Lynch is a failure.

You can put the buck wherever you want to. Fact is, Shanahan is the one choosing the QB. Blame the Yorks. They were the ones that wanted a GM/Coach partnership. Again, there is nothing wrong with a defensive minded GM going with his offensive minded HC when choosing a QB.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1603 » by NinerSickness » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:12 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:That. Is bull. Both.Pete Carroll and Bill Belicheck both have a significant influence on player selection. So did Bill walsh

And having influence doesn't mean the buck doesn't stop at you. If you're a GM who defers to someone else, then you shouldn't be the GM. You consider advice, but the buck stops at you. Lynch is a failure.

You can put the buck wherever you want to. Fact is, Shanahan is the one choosing the QB. Blame the Yorks. They were the ones that wanted a GM/Coach partnership. Again, there is nothing wrong with a defensive minded GM going with his offensive minded HC when choosing a QB.

The Yorks sucking doesn't mean Lynch doesn't suck too.

Lynch isn't absolved of the blame because he took stupid advice. It's his job to weed the bad advice out & listen to the good advice.

LynchExcuses
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#1604 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:29 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Lynch isn't absolved of the blame because he took stupid advice. It's his job to weed the bad advice out & listen to the good advice.

LynchExcuses

It has often not a one man show. You can say dumb things like Lynchexcuse and place blame all you want but the fact is that Shanahan picks the QB not Lynch. And you can call him a lousy GM all you want but this is his first draft class. And just cause you continue to say not drafting Trubisky at #2 was a mistake doesn't make it so. He hasn't done a thing in the NFL yet and until he does ir it doesn't mean a thing. Trubisky could bomb making the Bears pick the stupidest trade in history.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2016/story/_/page/32for32x160417/nfl-draft-2016-ultimate-decision-maker-all-32-teams-general-manager-coach-both
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,246

Post#1605 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Yeah I have no problems with the trade, though Thomas hasn't done anything.

I'll give him another offseason and training camp to get stronger. I saw one play where Whitworth basically kept him from getting upfield. I don't know if he was trying to bullrush a bigger player or just suppose to be holding his position there -- no reason to since Goff isn't a big threat to get outside and run.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1606 » by NinerSickness » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:42 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

LynchExcuses

It has often not a one man show. You can say dumb things like Lynchexcuse and place blame all you want but the fact is that Shanahan picks the QB not Lynch.

Lynch deferring is the same exact thing as Lynch picking. If Lynch disagreed, he had the right to pick his guy over Shany's. But he wouldn't do that because he's an amateur.
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#1607 » by RedneckNiner » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:15 am

I am not crazy about the Thomas pick but like the trade... As for Cam Robinson... Foster will be a far better NFL player. I understand your as High on Trubisky as 1z is on Mike Davis but imo I wouldn't use a #2 pick on a 1 year starter with holes all over the offense especially with Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen in the draft the next year all of whom I think will be better. As for don't have a strong opinion on the rest. That right there is why your I'm a better gm comment is absurd. You better damn well have a strong opinion on multiple players for all 7 rounds and undrafted before you can even claim to be any kind of gm or even better Than Baalke. I am not saying this to defend Lynch I was and still am skeptical of the choice to make a him a gm. I think the Niners could have done better. But I am glad Shanahan got the Job over Me likem Tebow McDaniels. Either of the guys from Green Bay, Cesario or Ballard from Kansas City would have been my choices for gm. But they also all backed out. I am hopeful they can turn it around, draft well and rebuild this team. But admittedly after years and years of bleakness only briefly abated by the Harbaugh years theres hope again. From Dennis Erickson, Mike Nolan, Mike Singletary, Tomsula, Chip Kelly hell every since Mooch the Niners motto has pretty much been abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#1608 » by Bald Bull » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:29 am

Our biggest problem is that we don't have any players with crazy eyes. We need Brain Jennings. Do long snappers really decline with age? I think he could do it 10 more years.

Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#1609 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:43 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

LynchExcuses

It has often not a one man show. You can say dumb things like Lynchexcuse and place blame all you want but the fact is that Shanahan picks the QB not Lynch.

Lynch deferring is the same exact thing as Lynch picking. If Lynch disagreed, he had the right to pick his guy over Shany's. But he wouldn't do that because he's an amateur.

I guess John Schneider is an amateur too because he defers to Pete Carroll. Same for other GMs
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#1610 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:02 pm

Bald Bull wrote:Our biggest problem is that we don't have any players with crazy eyes. We need Brain Jennings. Do long snappers really decline with age? I think he could do it 10 more years.

It's not the decline it's the cost.

The vet minimum for a 10+ year player this year is $1 million so I just think teams have a tough time justifying paying that kind of money to a player that's just a long snapper especially if cap space is a concern for a team.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#1611 » by Bald Bull » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Bald Bull wrote:Our biggest problem is that we don't have any players with crazy eyes. We need Brain Jennings. Do long snappers really decline with age? I think he could do it 10 more years.

It's not the decline it's the cost.

The vet minimum for a 10+ year player this year is $1 million so I just think teams have a tough time justifying paying that kind of money to a player that's just a long snapper especially if cap space is a concern for a team.

We have enough cap space to justify a piece as vital as Brian Jennings.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1612 » by NinerSickness » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:21 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

I guess John Schneider is an amateur too because he defers to Pete Carroll. Same for other GMs

John Schneider has a frignn' resume.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#1613 » by Dodub » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:08 am

Just revisiting this thread, I think it’s time to admit that Kyle was a great HC hire John has been more than solid and border line good in building the roster.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1614 » by NinerSickness » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:19 am

Dodub wrote:Just revisiting this thread, I think it’s time to admit that Kyle was a great HC hire John has been more than solid and border line good in building the roster.

Especially 1Z.

John Lynch has been a trade ninja & great in FA; and he's made up for an early disaster in the draft. I have to happily say I completely underestimated the guy. Way t' go, John. :football:
Dodub
General Manager

Post#1615 » by Dodub » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:23 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Dodub wrote:Just revisiting this thread, I think it’s time to admit that Kyle was a great HC hire John has been more than solid and border line good in building the roster.

Especially 1Z.

John Lynch has been a trade ninja & great in FA; and he's made up for an early disaster in the draft. I have to happily say I completely underestimated the guy. Way t' go, John. :football:

1z doesn’t have that in him
wco81
RealGM

Post#1616 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:19 am

You have to give them credit. But they talk about how the DL is all first rounders. Well at least of the 4 were drafted by Baalke, whom I’m not the biggest fan of.

Kyle and Lynch drafted Thomas and Bosa, very high in fact. Only one of them has worked out.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#1617 » by Dodub » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:34 am

wco81 wrote:You have to give them credit. But they talk about how the DL is all first rounders. Well at least of the 4 were drafted by Baalke, whom I’m not the biggest fan of.

Kyle and Lynch drafted Thomas and Bosa, very high in fact. Only one of them has worked out.

Two were drafted by Baalke and neither one of them was really dominant until Shanahan and crew came around. Buckner was good but he wasn’t taking over games. Now they are absolutely taking over games
Dodub
General Manager

Post#1618 » by Dodub » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:46 pm

Reading through the thread and I’m VERY happy with where we ended up considering the alternatives
wco81
RealGM

Post#1619 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:52 pm

The trade for Jimmy was great and the trade for Ford was very good -- though I think Seattle got Clowney for much less.

Yes some hits but some big misses in the draft too. They will likely let Thomas go after next year and they may give up on Witherspoon.

It's funny one of the national broadcasters said that the 49ers believed Spoon had All-Pro potential.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1620 » by NinerSickness » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:55 pm

wco81 wrote:Yes some hits but some big misses in the draft too. They will likely let Thomas go after next year and they may give up on Witherspoon.

There's no way the Niners cut Thomas or Witherspoon. They'll switch him to safety if anything, and Thomas has provided good depth this season (he's playing better than he's ever played right now).

Remember: Witherspoon was playing great at the beginning of the season.

Return to San Francisco 49ers