ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 John Lynch hired as GM & Kyle Shanahan named HC

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Re: FRONT OFFICE SHAKEUP 

Post#41 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:07 pm

So Steve Young rejects Dilfer's claims and also says the 49ers owners don't care about winning because they make money either way:

“In the NFL, you don’t have to win to make money,” Young said. “The greatest growth equity value teams are not necessarily the winners. In fact, if you think about the 49ers in the last 15 years since the Yorks owned the team, you’re talking about equity values that went from — I’m just rough now — $200 million in 2000 to well over maybe $2 billion. It’s like 10 times or more. It’s like Silicon Valley. That’s one of the great success stories of any tech business anywhere.

“That’s (the York’s) A-game. Their equity value in the team is their A game, it’s what drives them. It’s what drives most of the owners. It’s what matters. It’s what they think about. It’s what they talk about. And the B-game, is whether we win some games. It’s not that you don’t want to, or you don’t really want to, or it’s not really important. It’s just not the A-game. And so when it’s not the A-game, that’s the biggest issue with the NFL, is that success doesn’t track to success on the field. So you’re not held accountable.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/15/steve-young-says-yorks-concerned-with-money-not-winning-scoffs-at-dilfer/
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#42 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:23 pm

wco81 wrote:So Steve Young rejects Dilfer's claims and also says the 49ers owners don't care about winning because they make money either way:

“In the NFL, you don’t have to win to make money,” Young said. “The greatest growth equity value teams are not necessarily the winners. In fact, if you think about the 49ers in the last 15 years since the Yorks owned the team, you’re talking about equity values that went from — I’m just rough now — $200 million in 2000 to well over maybe $2 billion. It’s like 10 times or more. It’s like Silicon Valley. That’s one of the great success stories of any tech business anywhere.

“That’s (the York’s) A-game. Their equity value in the team is their A game, it’s what drives them. It’s what drives most of the owners. It’s what matters. It’s what they think about. It’s what they talk about. And the B-game, is whether we win some games. It’s not that you don’t want to, or you don’t really want to, or it’s not really important. It’s just not the A-game. And so when it’s not the A-game, that’s the biggest issue with the NFL, is that success doesn’t track to success on the field. So you’re not held accountable.

Well if the PSL owners walk away and stop payments it will affect their bottom line. What? Are they going to send the fans to collections? LOL, that would be a nightmare. I think the fact that they are paying two coaches now tells me they care somewhat. And if they fire Chip they will be paying 3 coaches and that is a lot of money to eat for coaches not coaching.
wco81
RealGM

Post#43 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:34 pm

Not only will most SBL holders not walk away, they'll probably have to pay higher season ticket prices for next season.

They really got suckered in.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#44 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:09 pm

wco81 wrote:Not only will most SBL holders not walk away, they'll probably have to pay higher season ticket prices for next season.

If this crapshow continues they WILL walk away. They will stop making payments. This is the angriest fanbase in football.
wco81
RealGM

Post#45 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:54 pm

If you go to the 49ers.com forums, there aren't that many talking about walking.

In fact, some of them will give their tickets away if they're not going or they will exhort 49ers fans who live outside the Bay Area to go to games now when tickets can be had supposedly for as little as $20.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#46 » by 49er4life1979 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:28 am

wco81 wrote:If you go to the 49ers.com forums, there aren't that many talking about walking.

In fact, some of them will give their tickets away if they're not going or they will exhort 49ers fans who live outside the Bay Area to go to games now when tickets can be had supposedly for as little as $20.

Well then I guess we're screwed.
wartyOne
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#47 » by wartyOne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:17 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
Dodub wrote:Regardless of who the new GM is, I hope that they make a change at HC. I've been a fan of Kyle Shanny for a few years now and kind of had a dream of landing him

Well, do you really think its fair to judge Chip on this season? Two back up QBs starting, the worst WR core in football, a defense that cant stop the run or rush the passer. The only positives of the skill positions are a good RB and a decent TE in Vance. Nothing else. I think he deserves one more season with his players. Lets see how he does with a good QB and some good WRs.

Yes. He's awful. But that isn't based on just this season ("The offensive plays fit on a notecard for Christ's sake!") which has demonstrated his inability to either coach or assemble a competent coaching staff. He failed miserably in Philadephia as well. He isn't an NFL coach. Never will be. Why waste another year? Frankly, I'd rather have Tomstupid back.

As for seasons with "HIS" players, that was an epic fail in Philly, and the top two picks of the last two drafts were his guys. Armstead is a bust, and Bucker has merely had a couple of okay games (I don't expect that trend to continue; we can't play the Jets and Bears 8 times each a season). I don't know how getting more of his players will fix anything.

I don't see anybody on this staff, coaching or front office, capable of finding or developing either a mediocre QB or a poor WR. I don't see Jed getting fired, and I don't see us realistically interviewing a legit GM candidate. Next year will still see Jed at the top with likely Gamble taking over for Baalke, which should easily be viewed as the worst case scenario from the fans' perspective. There's a reason why teams like the Browns suck so bad. We're now in that category. I don't expect this franchise to recover EVER under this ownership group. What it comes down to is they do not care about winning. They care about making money. They're succeeding in the latter. There is literally ZERO incentive for them to try to win.
wartyOne
Freshman

Post#48 » by wartyOne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:29 am

I_am_1z wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Not sure where this drastic drop is. Statistically, the offense has been better under Chip. Under Tomsula, the offense last year was ranked at or near the bottom in the league in almost every category. Under Tomsula, no one wanted to become a coordinator in SF. Tomsula had to settle for Geep Chryst and Mangini. Our current Wide Receiver coach turned down an offer to be our offensive coordinator last year. That is how bad things are. All you have to do is watch the offense this year and anyone can see it is better than last year but is still limited by not having a QB. The defense took a step back. And I can't totally blame Chip for that as Baalke nixed Chip's choice for DC and we got O'Neil instead

Patterson I totally agree with you. The offense this year, given the fact we have no QB, no WRs, has been been good at least in spurts. I would love to see what Chip does with a good QB and an improved receiving core along with an already good RB and decent TE. I mean to write off Chip based on this year is ridiculous. Remember what Bill Belichick said, "It takes 3 years to build a program in this league, Chip Kelly will end up somewhere and do a great job." Now I know Belichick is Chip's friend, but he has a point. At least give it another year with Chip's players and a better defensive coordinator too.

I wonder if he gave the same praise to Bill O'Brien, Romeo Crennel, and Charlie Weis?

To write off Tomsula within a year was ridiculous. It's not like Chip Kelly attracted any sexy coordinator picks. I have no idea where you're going with this opinion of yours. Last year GEEP CHRYST had to work with no OL, no WRs, no RBs, and no QB. The fact that team managed a 5-11 (again, should have been 6-10) record with absolute trash of an offense was kind of noteworthy. Devey, Pears, Marcus Martin.

I know Tomsula isn't coaching anywhere at any level this year. Is anybody else from that coaching staff?
wartyOne
Freshman

Post#49 » by wartyOne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:55 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
wco81 wrote:So Steve Young rejects Dilfer's claims and also says the 49ers owners don't care about winning because they make money either way:

Well if the PSL owners walk away and stop payments it will affect their bottom line. What? Are they going to send the fans to collections? LOL, that would be a nightmare. I think the fact that they are paying two coaches now tells me they care somewhat. And if they fire Chip they will be paying 3 coaches and that is a lot of money to eat for coaches not coaching.

The 9ers were 50 million under the cap this year. That's all of any leftover salary for Tomstupid, Kelly's current (entire) contract, and the first two or three years of the next moron's salary. And frankly, I don't give a **** how many pennies the Yorks have to lose to make up for their incompetenet business decisions. I want wins on the scoreboard. I don't care about wins in the Yorks' bank accounts.
wartyOne
Freshman

Post#50 » by wartyOne » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:58 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
wco81 wrote:Not only will most SBL holders not walk away, they'll probably have to pay higher season ticket prices for next season.

If this crapshow continues they WILL walk away. They will stop making payments. This is the angriest fanbase in football.

No it isn't. This fanbase will go surfing if the team isn't winning. This might be the most apathetic fanbase in football.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#51 » by 49er4life1979 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:57 pm

wartyOne wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:

The 9ers were 50 million under the cap this year. That's all of any leftover salary for Tomstupid, Kelly's current (entire) contract, and the first two or three years of the next moron's salary. And frankly, I don't give a **** how many pennies the Yorks have to lose to make up for their incompetenet business decisions. I want wins on the scoreboard. I don't care about wins in the Yorks' bank accounts.

Just so you know, coaches salaries do not have any impact on the salary cap. They do not count against it.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#52 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:10 pm

wartyOne wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
Patterson I totally agree with you. The offense this year, given the fact we have no QB, no WRs, has been been good at least in spurts. I would love to see what Chip does with a good QB and an improved receiving core along with an already good RB and decent TE. I mean to write off Chip based on this year is ridiculous. Remember what Bill Belichick said, "It takes 3 years to build a program in this league, Chip Kelly will end up somewhere and do a great job." Now I know Belichick is Chip's friend, but he has a point. At least give it another year with Chip's players and a better defensive coordinator too.

I wonder if he gave the same praise to Bill O'Brien, Romeo Crennel, and Charlie Weis?

To write off Tomsula within a year was ridiculous. It's not like Chip Kelly attracted any sexy coordinator picks. I have no idea where you're going with this opinion of yours. Last year GEEP CHRYST had to work with no OL, no WRs, no RBs, and no QB. The fact that team managed a 5-11 (again, should have been 6-10) record with absolute trash of an offense was kind of noteworthy. Devey, Pears, Marcus Martin.

I know Tomsula isn't coaching anywhere at any level this year. Is anybody else from that coaching staff?

Yes, some are coaching on different teams.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#53 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:11 pm

wartyOne wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
Dodub wrote:Regardless of who the new GM is, I hope that they make a change at HC. I've been a fan of Kyle Shanny for a few years now and kind of had a dream of landing him

Well, do you really think its fair to judge Chip on this season? Two back up QBs starting, the worst WR core in football, a defense that cant stop the run or rush the passer. The only positives of the skill positions are a good RB and a decent TE in Vance. Nothing else. I think he deserves one more season with his players. Lets see how he does with a good QB and some good WRs.

Yes. He's awful. But that isn't based on just this season ("The offensive plays fit on a notecard for Christ's sake!") which has demonstrated his inability to either coach or assemble a competent coaching staff. He failed miserably in Philadephia as well. He isn't an NFL coach. Never will be. Why waste another year? Frankly, I'd rather have Tomstupid back.

As for seasons with "HIS" players, that was an epic fail in Philly, and the top two picks of the last two drafts were his guys. Armstead is a bust, and Bucker has merely had a couple of okay games (I don't expect that trend to continue; we can't play the Jets and Bears 8 times each a season). I don't know how getting more of his players will fix anything.

I don't see anybody on this staff, coaching or front office, capable of finding or developing either a mediocre QB or a poor WR. I don't see Jed getting fired, and I don't see us realistically interviewing a legit GM candidate. Next year will still see Jed at the top with likely Gamble taking over for Baalke, which should easily be viewed as the worst case scenario from the fans' perspective. There's a reason why teams like the Browns suck so bad. We're now in that category. I don't expect this franchise to recover EVER under this ownership group. What it comes down to is they do not care about winning. They care about making money. They're succeeding in the latter. There is literally ZERO incentive for them to try to win.

How is Armstead his guy? He came from Oregon burt Kelly wasn't coach when Armstead was drafted.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#54 » by 49er4life1979 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
wartyOne wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:

How is Armstead his guy? He came from Oregon burt Kelly wasn't coach when Armstead was drafted.

And Buckner is not a bust either, he has been improving every game and will be a stud.
wco81
RealGM

Post#55 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:59 pm

So apparently Eliot Wolf's name is being tossed around.

He's the son of Ron Wolf, has been in the Packers org since graduating from college. He's only 34.

He's been around the team as a kid, when his father was running the team.

He may have talent but it may also be nepotism.

Hmm, Jed will surely like that part of it.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by 49er4life1979 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:26 am

wco81 wrote:So apparently Eliot Wolf's name is being tossed around.

He's the son of Ron Wolf, has been in the Packers org since graduating from college. He's only 34.

He's been around the team as a kid, when his father was running the team.

He may have talent but it may also be nepotism.

Hmm, Jed will surely like that part of it.

Yea also according to Chris Biderman and Matt Maiocco don't just assume that Tom Gamble will get promoted from GM. He may not want the job as he likes the behind the scenes stuff. So he may end up following Baalke to Denver.
wco81
RealGM

Post#57 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:57 pm

49ers GM candidates will come from one of the following:

1. Promote from within -- just as Baalke was promoted after the sudden departure of McCloughan, right before the draft, the easies thing for York is to promote someone already in the building, since he doesn't have to do much work. See the same logic for promoting Tomsula.

2. Someone willing to put up with Jed for the money and the exposure as a GM - probably a lot of guys who'd see this as a way to build a resume, even if the team doesn't win much. Higher pay and good experience to put on resume.

3. High-profile guy in demand by other teams - Will take a lot of money and power, especially assurance that they only report to the parents, maybe ability to bypass Jed, since Jed ran a successful HC out of town.

Not sure where Mike Shanahan would fit under these categories. Maybe desperate to get back into the game after being out for several years or maybe just want one last big payday. Only positive is if he would bring along Kyle as coach or OC and other experienced assistants who respect the Shanahans but wouldn't respect Jed or Trent.

Odds are that people in category 3 won't even look that much at the 49ers because of the Harbaugh history and what fans and media know all too well:

Yorks have no financial incentive to build a winner, they make tons of money as-is, because the SBL owners are trapped. So while they can get a big payday, they won't be able to point to their stint with the 49ers as a highly-successful one, which would lead to even more money, power and prestige.

The well-regarded candidates in category 2 would trend more towards category 3. That is, if they're well-regarded rising stars, they will be in demand by several teams so they wouldn't have to put up with Jed's nonsense.

So really, the easiest paths would be someone already in the building (#1) or someone in low demand or not that well-known (category 2). So basically, someone like Baalke when he was promoted to GM, not that well-known, clean slate.

And people already working in the 49ers FO probably would have been hired or vetted by Trent so they'd probably be no better than Trent.

Bottom line, barring some miracle, 49ers front office not likely to be a lot better even if Baalke is ousted.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#58 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:14 am

Poppa York just said baby York isn't losing his power. How about sharing it?
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#59 » by Dodub » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:30 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:Poppa York just said baby York isn't losing his power. How about sharing it?

I don't trust Jed to make the big moves that he needs to make
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:05 am

Dodub wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:Poppa York just said baby York isn't losing his power. How about sharing it?

I don't trust Jed to make the big moves that he needs to make

Yep. John York called reports that the 49ers will make changes to improve in the offseason "completely false" SMH.

Return to San Francisco 49ers