ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2017 Offseason Thread(prior threads merged)

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Re: tOfficial Call-It-A-Year Offseason Thread 

Post#61 » by thesack12 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:50 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
thesack12 wrote:But if we want to throw QB related jabs, how are Mark Sanchez and Ryan Tannehill doing these days? You know two of the guys that you have openly wanted to go after in the past?

That's your argument? Both of those QBs are better than Kaepernick, so I would be thrilled to have either one.

And I never once said I wanted the Niners to draft either one of those guys. I wanted the Niners to sign or trade for Sanchez because he had experience in Kelly's offense and because Blaine & Colin suck more a** than he does.

You started a thread advocating going after Tannehill last season.

As for Sanchez, if thats what you truly believe then I have no further respect for your QB evaluation prowess. Because that means you value an insanely high amount of turnovers and limited arm talent in your QB's.

Look man, its obvious I like Kaep and you hate him. Its okay to disagree. Hell, you like Tank and Vance and they are both trash. But if you want to turn everything I post into a Kaep bash thing, I have no desire to continue to interact with you on this forum. The cool thing about a message board is you can go ahead and not respond to me also, if you so desire.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#62 » by NinerSickness » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:59 pm

thesack12 wrote:You started a thread advocating going after Tannehill last season.

:roll:

1. I threw the question out there; never once did I say they SHOULD go after him. Try actually reading what I said.

2. Tannehill is a better quarterback than Kaepernick is. So you're criticizing me for throwing out a possibility for upgrading the QB position. :crazy:
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#63 » by Dodub » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:51 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Dodub wrote:I'm done with Baalke and I'm done with Chip Kelly. I want to see us start over new.

Baalke's been around since 2010. Chip's been around 6 games with a s**t team (Baalke's fault because he doesn't understand the QB position). I think he deserves a longer leash than Baalke does.

Chip sucks man, the team is doing worse with him than it did with Tomsula. That's saying something.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#64 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:59 am

NinerSickness wrote:
thesack12 wrote:You started a thread advocating going after Tannehill last season.

:roll:

1. I threw the question out there; never once did I say they SHOULD go after him. Try actually reading what I said.

2. Tannehill is a better quarterback than Kaepernick is. So you're criticizing me for throwing out a possibility for upgrading the QB position. :crazy:

Ninersick come on. Ryan Tannehill? Mark Sanchez? Really? LOL. They both suck, especially Sanchez. Tannehill is going to be on his way out of Miami after this season for crappy play, despite the fact that he has good receivers in Landry and Parker, and a decent OL. No excuses. As for Sanchize, he is a backup QB at best. Neither is a franchise QB, something the 49ers havent had in years. It's ridiculous to even suggest them. This team needs to draft a QB for the future. But first, they must fire Baalke.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by NinerSickness » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:01 pm

Dodub wrote:Chip sucks man, the team is doing worse with him than it did with Tomsula. That's saying something.

The Niners have probably the 2nd-worst roster in the NFL. THAT is saying something.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by NinerSickness » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:Ninersick come on. Ryan Tannehill? Mark Sanchez? Really? LOL. They both suck, especially Sanchez.

And both suck less than the Niners' sucktastic, starting QB. I never said they were good; I said they were better than Kaepernick.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#67 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:40 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Ninersick come on. Ryan Tannehill? Mark Sanchez? Really? LOL. They both suck, especially Sanchez.

And both suck less than the Niners' sucktastic, starting QB. I never said they were good; I said they were better than Kaepernick.

I disagree. You can go either way with Tannehill or Kap, as for Sanchez I would take Kap over him anyday. Regardless, none of those 3 is a franchise QB and the Niners will certainly be needing to draft one in the top 2 or 3 picks.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by NinerSickness » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:19 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

I disagree. You can go either way with Tannehill or Kap, as for Sanchez I would take Kap over him anyday. Regardless, none of those 3 is a franchise QB and the Niners will certainly be needing to draft one in the top 2 or 3 picks.

If they draft one in the top 1, I would agree. But outside of Kizer, I'd much rather have Myles Garrett & try to build an obscene defense, along with signing a badass NT in the offseason.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#69 » by 49er4life1979 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:05 am

NinerSickness wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

If they draft one in the top 1, I would agree. But outside of Kizer, I'd much rather have Myles Garrett & try to build an obscene defense, along with signing a badass NT in the offseason.

We've ignored a QB long enough. So hopefully top 1 to get whoever we want.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by NinerSickness » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:50 am

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by NinerSickness » Tue Nov 8, 2016 6:11 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:Alshon Jeffery is at the top of my list.

I hear bad things about his long-term health. Not sure if they're true.

Looks like he's putting a decent season together, but I don't think Alshon is what the team needs. He'll come in w/ a worse QB and look worse, and by the time any Niner QB is any good, he'll be on the down-swing of his career.

I say fire Baalke & draft a WR.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,233

Potential Free Agent Targets 

Post#72 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:13 am

Hoping Trent "we're a draft and develop team" Baalke is out of a job at the end of the season and someone will look at FA to fill some of the many holes on this roster.

Why is Baalke wrong? Justin Smith was a FA signing and Carlos Rodgers too. And for the Seahawks, Bennett and Avril were FA signings. Enough said.

But I'm not sure there are a lot of great targets.

Donterio Po is a UFA but no way the Chiefs let him go, though they will have to decide on whether to extend Berry.

Not seeing too many obvious studs on the DL, though there are several UFAs who are 26 or younger.

Among LBs, the one name that jumps out is Chandler Jones, who still has a shot at another double-digit sack year. You wouldn't think the Cards would let him go but Cards may decide by the end of the year to rebuild:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/linebacker/

Among UFA WRs, Terrelle Pryor stands out but he will probably want to stick with Hugh Jackson unless the Browns really try to low-ball him:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: Potential Free Agent Targets 

Post#73 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:38 am

wco81 wrote:Hoping Trent "we're a draft and develop team" Baalke is out of a job at the end of the season and someone will look at FA to fill some of the many holes on this roster.

Why is Baalke wrong? Justin Smith was a FA signing and Carlos Rodgers too. And for the Seahawks, Bennett and Avril were FA signings. Enough said.

But I'm not sure there are a lot of great targets.

Donterio Po is a UFA but no way the Chiefs let him go, though they will have to decide on whether to extend Berry.

Not seeing too many obvious studs on the DL, though there are several UFAs who are 26 or younger.

Among LBs, the one name that jumps out is Chandler Jones, who still has a shot at another double-digit sack year. You wouldn't think the Cards would let him go but Cards may decide by the end of the year to rebuild:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/linebacker/

Among UFA WRs, Terrelle Pryor stands out but he will probably want to stick with Hugh Jackson unless the Browns really try to low-ball him:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/

1.) You pointed out a bunch of free agents that worked. None that didn't work...for anybody. Ever.

2.) You want a DL but don't see any studs and didn't name any of the ones you would want who are 26 or younger (Poe won't be one of the 26 or younger next year).

3.) You state Poe, Jones and Pryor could be wishes of yours but acknowledge their respective teams might not let them go.

So, you're hoping for a Baalke departure and named 3 players who you believe may not end up being available and acknowledge there aren't many great names available this year. Maybe you'll come back to this with more detail. Or maybe you're acknowledging there isn't much they can do this offseason relative to their chances in another year.
wco81
RealGM

Post#74 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:53 am

1) Yeah no kidding some free agents don't work out. But you take chances when there are so many holes and you have all this cap room, as opposed to saying we're mainly going to stock the roster through the draft. That kind of rigidity hasn't worked out for Trent or for stalwarts like Ted Thompson.

2) The purpose of this forum is to have discussion. I started the thread to start a discussion, pose questions or see if other more informed fans might have interesting opinions.

3) If I or anyone else on this forum had all the answers, there would be no point in starting a thread, right? In fact, if I had all the answers, the last thing I'd be doing is posting on a web forum vs. actually getting a job in player personnel.

The names I put out are just those that stood out at first glance. I have no idea what their market value will be, how other teams may pursue them or lock them up. I don't know about many of the other names. I don't watch enough college football to know how they were graded in their draft classes vs. what they've accomplished in the league.

But maybe there are other fans here who are familiar with the play of these and other players who are in the linked web pages to offer opinions.

The draft should be the primary source of new players but I would hope the front office and the fans recognize that free agency is worth looking into, because the 49ers in the last 3-4 years have let free agents go rather than add to the roster by signing (or for that matter extending their own) free agents.

Perhaps it's no coincidence that the team's play has declined during this period when there have been net free agent losses than gains?
wco81
RealGM

Post#75 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Are there 3 FAs who can have the impact that the 3 big NY Giants FA signings are having now?

"Draft and develop" really sounds brilliant now doesn't it? Giants went all in on free agency and Trent maintained the big cap. Giants are headed to the playoffs in a wide-open NFC while the 49ers are hoping for the #2 pick.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#76 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:04 pm

wco81 wrote:Are there 3 FAs who can have the impact that the 3 big NY Giants FA signings are having now?

"Draft and develop" really sounds brilliant now doesn't it? Giants went all in on free agency and Trent maintained the big cap. Giants are headed to the playoffs in a wide-open NFC while the 49ers are hoping for the #2 pick.

"Draft and develop" is actually the most effective way to build a team for long term success in the NFL. BUT, you need to draft a superstar here and there and not just complimentary players. And you need to supplement with free agency, no splurge like the Giants, Dolphins, or Redskins.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#77 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:43 pm

Draft is definitely the way to go and I have that theory even if the roster is good. For FA, you go out and find players that you think are undervalued on the market. The Bennett's and Avril's are pretty rare but even then, Bennett wasn't what he was when he signed with Seattle. Up to that point, he was an inconsistent player coming off a career year. Also, scheme fit plays a role too. Finding guys who are undervalued AND fit your scheme well is what you want to accomplish.

Baalke's problem is that he was highly inconsistent with draft picks, not because he didn't chase FA's. Also, in 13 and 14, the team was sort of pushed up against the cap. They never were in ultimate cap hell danger but they had to be careful. Splurging a lot of the cap on FA is not an ideal situation and doesn't guarantee success. Washington, until a few years ago, was an example of it every year.
wco81
RealGM

Post#78 » by wco81 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:44 pm

Good chance Cards let Chandler Jones go, because they have a second player, Markus Golden, with 10 sacks, while Jones has 9.5 sacks with a game left this season.

He has 47.5 career sacks in 70 games played in 5 seasons.

It's odd, the Seahawks signed Avril when he was 26 in 2012. At that point, Avril had 39.5 sacks in 73 games across 5 seasons. He also had 16 FFs, 1 INT and 13 PDs in those 5 seasons with Detroit.

Jones has had 13 FFs, 1 INT and 10 PDs, so similar numbers, though it seems he's rushed the passer more than dropping into coverage.

Now the question is, if the 49ers were able to get Garrett, does Jones and Garrett play on opposite sides?

Presumably the best rusher has to be rushing from the right side so can Jones rush from the strong side?
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#79 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:49 am

wco81 wrote:Good chance Cards let Chandler Jones go, because they have a second player, Markus Golden, with 10 sacks, while Jones has 9.5 sacks with a game left this season.

He has 47.5 career sacks in 70 games played in 5 seasons.

It's odd, the Seahawks signed Avril when he was 26 in 2012. At that point, Avril had 39.5 sacks in 73 games across 5 seasons. He also had 16 FFs, 1 INT and 13 PDs in those 5 seasons with Detroit.

Jones has had 13 FFs, 1 INT and 10 PDs, so similar numbers, though it seems he's rushed the passer more than dropping into coverage.

Now the question is, if the 49ers were able to get Garrett, does Jones and Garrett play on opposite sides?

Presumably the best rusher has to be rushing from the right side so can Jones rush from the strong side?

I dont see why we cant land Poe for the NT position. We have a ton of cap room and the Chiefs will be right up against it.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#80 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:55 am

Cards probably tag Jones.

Return to San Francisco 49ers