ImageImageImageImageImage

The Solomon Thomas Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Re: The Solomon Thomas Thread 

Post#61 » by Jikkle » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Well if Armstead or Thomas don't have big years next year they never will.

They have one of the top DL coaches coaching them and being surrounded by Bosa, Buckner, and Ford means they should get a favorable matchup every time since teams will have to commit resources into stopping the other guys.
Hangman_52
Sixth Man
And1: 77

Post#62 » by Hangman_52 » Fri May 3, 2019 4:43 am

Thomas needs to stay in the middle. He is too strong and fast for guards and centers. He is not a speed demon, but he has quick feet and hands. And he should stay out there on run downs. He was a beast against the run in college and he has great technique to open up lanes for linebackers and closing lanes for runningbacks. He has been used totally incorrectly for most of his career by one of the worst defensive coaches we have ever had. I would shop AA to a team desperate for a 3/4 DE cause that is all he is good for. He has no leverage at all in his play and is still as raw as ever. Right now there are teams who would llove to get a line eater cause that is all he is good for and we should basically give him away. $9mill for him is ridiculous. I would try to trade him to the Giants for a 4th round pick.
Yoshi
Senior
And1: 30

Post#63 » by Yoshi » Mon May 27, 2019 3:41 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:
Yoshi wrote:
CalamityX12 wrote:That realization that Thomas may be Kentwan Balmer 2.0....

hurts

At least Balmer wasn't that high of a pick.

I was never a fan of S.T., not only because he's from StanfUrd, but for a whole slew of reasons. Unfortunately, the brass tinkered with him thinking he could provide an edge rush. However, anybody who followed this guy's career in college knows that he is a one trick pony. So in some ways our coaching staff kind of stunted his development. I wasn't around here to complain about this pick, but damn was I pissed when I watched the draft that year.

If the Niners land Bosa, at least they can salvage some of the bad mojo from prior drafts and have some semblance of a defensive line with DeFo and Dee Ford.

A blast from the past! Wassup Yoshi?

I absolutely hated the Solly pick. I still don’t see him being a productive player for us. I crack up at all the fanboys that think he’s gonna be a different player moving to DT. Did they not watch him play DT last season? The move already happened. He sucked out loud at that spot and people had to brag about him getting holding calls in the Seahawks backup and third string G. Whoopty doo.

Mad Dog Ray, what's up my bruddah?! And to the rest of The Empire good to see you all.

I'm not sure if you're keeping up with the Dubbs nowadays, but my wife was able to lure me to what you called "The Darkside". I hope they kick gluteus but the series with the Raptors will be hard.

They talked about Solly on the radio (I listen more to the Game as opposed to KNBR nowadays as I feel kNBR is just a collection of old farts) and forgot how Solly had lost a sister to suicide. He is vowing to play better this season, but this will probably be his last season to prove he is a legitimate DL in this league as he is surrounded by now a collection of DeFo, Dee Ford, and Bosa.
We're bringing the Axe back home to where it belongs! What do you see? UC Berkeley Fan of the SF Giants, 49ers, Warriors, Alabama Crimson Tide, Cal Bears, La Furia Roja, Three Lions, FC Barcelona, Arsenal FC, & the NZ All Blacks Rugby Team.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#64 » by Ray_Dogg » Tue May 28, 2019 6:37 pm

Yoshi wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:
Yoshi wrote:At least Balmer wasn't that high of a pick.

I was never a fan of S.T., not only because he's from StanfUrd, but for a whole slew of reasons. Unfortunately, the brass tinkered with him thinking he could provide an edge rush. However, anybody who followed this guy's career in college knows that he is a one trick pony. So in some ways our coaching staff kind of stunted his development. I wasn't around here to complain about this pick, but damn was I pissed when I watched the draft that year.

If the Niners land Bosa, at least they can salvage some of the bad mojo from prior drafts and have some semblance of a defensive line with DeFo and Dee Ford.

I absolutely hated the Solly pick. I still don’t see him being a productive player for us. I crack up at all the fanboys that think he’s gonna be a different player moving to DT. Did they not watch him play DT last season? The move already happened. He sucked out loud at that spot and people had to brag about him getting holding calls in the Seahawks backup and third string G. Whoopty doo.

Mad Dog Ray, what's up my bruddah?! And to the rest of The Empire good to see you all.

I'm not sure if you're keeping up with the Dubbs nowadays, but my wife was able to lure me to what you called "The Darkside". I hope they kick gluteus but the series with the Raptors will be hard.

They talked about Solly on the radio (I listen more to the Game as opposed to KNBR nowadays as I feel kNBR is just a collection of old farts) and forgot how Solly had lost a sister to suicide. He is vowing to play better this season, but this will probably be his last season to prove he is a legitimate DL in this league as he is surrounded by now a collection of DeFo, Dee Ford, and Bosa.

I’m finally getting a return on my investment as a fan. That was a long stretch of suffering. It still doesn’t seem real what we are doing now. Hopefully we can pull of the three peat.

Your wife did a good thing. The Darkside is the best side.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#65 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue May 28, 2019 9:40 pm

Yoshi wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:
Yoshi wrote:At least Balmer wasn't that high of a pick.

Totally agree re: the Game vs. KNBR. KNBR's guys just tend to annoy me (though that's true of most sports radio personalities, to be fair).

Good to have you back, Yoshi. Hope you stick around.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#66 » by NinerSickness » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:19 am

Best game of Solly's s**tty career today. That's nice. Took him long enough.

He's clearly a DT and DT only (except like on goal-line defense). Playing him at DE was clown-world status.

Can he take over permanently at DT if Armstead leaves in the offseason?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#67 » by NinerSickness » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:36 am

Is it time to revisit Solomon Thomas as a legit threat on the DL? Or is he the beneficiary of playing with other great DL? It's hard to tell.

He had a sack, a TFL and a forced fumble on Saturday. It's nice to see him playing inside more now that Dee Ford is back.

Could Thomas replace Armstead if they let him walk?
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#68 » by Jikkle » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:50 am

NinerSickness wrote:Is it time to revisit Solomon Thomas as a legit threat on the DL? Or is he the beneficiary of playing with other great DL? It's hard to tell.

He had a sack, a TFL and a forced fumble on Saturday. It's nice to see him playing inside more now that Dee Ford is back.

Could Thomas replace Armstead if they let him walk?

I don't see Armstead being resigned so I don't think they have a choice but to give him a chance to do it.

It's impossible to tell if he's turned a corner and just isn't in there because the guys in front of him are just that good or if he's still the game guy but only looks better because the guys around him.

I agree that he needs to stay inside and I really really hope the team has finally learned not take these guys and hope to convert them to other positions. Ward and Moore are much better at Safety and Thomas is a better DT than DE.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#69 » by Dodub » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:45 pm

Armstead is one of the best in the league at his position so it’s hard to imagine Solly replacing him efficiently. Armstead’s size, athleticism and most importantly length are things that Thomas can’t replicate
michaelwarner
Junior
And1: 42

Post#70 » by michaelwarner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:18 pm

Spotrac has us at 16 mil in cap space for 2020.
OTC at 16.7.

Cutting McKinnon and Goodwin gets us to 24mil.

Would love a Jimmy G and/or Kwon restructure to extend DeFo, Kittle AND keep Armstead.

Thomas is coming on now that he's finally playing inside. But don't see how he replaces Armstead.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#71 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:30 pm

We'll have to make a decision on Ward, too. He finally stayed healthy and had a good year. There was a noticeable improvement when he came in for Moore, though Moore was a young player who played out of position at CB in his first year. It would be reasonable to expect improvement from him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#72 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:31 pm

The injury to Blair might actually be something of a blessing in disguise as it may allow us to sign him to a long-term contract on the cheap.
Hangman_52
Sixth Man
And1: 77

Post#73 » by Hangman_52 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:25 am

He has been playing very solid the last 3 games

Return to San Francisco 49ers