ImageImageImageImageImage

2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#1341 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Feb 8, 2018 3:34 am

Been watching a bunch of Equanimeous St. Brown the last day or so. He's becoming one of those size monster targets I've been talking about that can be put on the target list for the Niners specifically.

Plus, plus, plus character. Very bright. He speaks 3-4 languages. Not very developed physically but he'd be an exciting project for a strength coach. For his size he's got fantastic movement skills which is the most exciting part about him. He translates to much more than a 3rd down/red zone target. VERY smooth in and out of his breaks and routes for a big guy. Chews up yards in a hurry due to his stride. Blocks well.

The lack of production this season doesn't scare me. Look at what he had around him this year and what they ran.

I kind of hope he doesn't work out well in a couple of the drills because I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what he really is as a movement guy and I'd like to see him there later in day 2 or deeper. If he doesn't run well MAYBE he scares SOME (not all) people and he tumbles a tad (since I have so many other targets where I think he could go ceiling wise). I trust what I'm seeing now that if he doesn't run well that it's not a knock against him from a speed perspective because I'm in love with that stride and the fluidity for his size.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#1343 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Feb 8, 2018 5:38 pm

Lamar Jackson - QB - Cardinals

NFL Media's Bucky Brooks ranked Louisville QB Lamar Jackson over Wyoming QB Josh Allen in his initial list of the position.

The Louisville product sits at No. 4, and Allen at No. 5. "Jackson is the wild card of the group as an electric playmaker with a run-first game," Brooks writes. We don't totally agree with the run-first label. Yes, Jackson had more carries than passes in college, but those figures shifted during his final season of college ball when Jackson took big strides forward. There were plenty of occasions where Jackson hangs in the pocket looking for an open receiver, then destroys the defense on the ground when space creates. He's a true big play threat.
Source: NFL.com

Feb 8 - 11:03 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1344 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Feb 8, 2018 5:41 pm

Sam Darnold - QB - Trojans

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah spoke with an NFL executive who called USC QB Sam Darnold "a guy that you can be comfortable with building a franchise around."

Specifically, the anonymous executive cited Darnold's character and upside as main reasons why a team would invest in Darnold as their top player. A few points always stand out when discussing Darnold. One, he is extremely young, and if he starts in week one he will be among the youngest to do so. Two, he hasn't been a full-time quarterback that long, lining up as a receiver and linebacker as a sophomore in high school. Which leads to three, he can be all over the place with his base and poise. In this same piece, four of five executives polled said they would rather sign Kirk Cousins than draft a quarterback.
Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Feb 8 - 10:32 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1345 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Feb 8, 2018 5:43 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:Been watching a bunch of Equanimeous St. Brown the last day or so. He's becoming one of those size monster targets I've been talking about that can be put on the target list for the Niners specifically.

Plus, plus, plus character. Very bright. He speaks 3-4 languages. Not very developed physically but he'd be an exciting project for a strength coach. For his size he's got fantastic movement skills which is the most exciting part about him. He translates to much more than a 3rd down/red zone target. VERY smooth in and out of his breaks and routes for a big guy. Chews up yards in a hurry due to his stride. Blocks well.

The lack of production this season doesn't scare me. Look at what he had around him this year and what they ran.

I kind of hope he doesn't work out well in a couple of the drills because I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what he really is as a movement guy and I'd like to see him there later in day 2 or deeper. If he doesn't run well MAYBE he scares SOME (not all) people and he tumbles a tad (since I have so many other targets where I think he could go ceiling wise). I trust what I'm seeing now that if he doesn't run well that it's not a knock against him from a speed perspective because I'm in love with that stride and the fluidity for his size.

Equanimeous St. Brown - WR - Fighting Irish

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah "put a big grade" on Notre Dame WR Equanimeous St. Brown.

Jeremiah calls St. Brown's ability to adjust to targets "outstanding," and he creates consistent separation. It was an interesting college career for St. Brown, as he posted 58 catches for 961 yards and nine touchdowns with DeShone Kizer in 2016, then just 33 catches for 515 yards and four touchdowns in 2017. Despite that minimal production, St. Brown will likely be considered a high upside prospect.
Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

Feb 8 - 9:46 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1346 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Feb 8, 2018 5:44 pm

Mike McGlinchey - T - Fighting Irish

NFL Media spoke with an AFC executive who projects Notre Dame T Mike McGlinchey to the right side.

The same personnel member states "Notre Dame will even tell you that." That isn't necessarily a knock on McGlinchey's value, as right tackles deal with a number of top end edge rushers. It could be as simple as McGlinchey preferring the necessary movement the right side requires including balance, hand use and pressure points. McGlinchey likely ends up as a top 50 pick.

Feb 8 - 9:27 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1347 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Feb 8, 2018 5:46 pm

Maurice Hurst - DL - Wolverines

One AFC scout believes Michigan DL Maurice Hurst can only succeed in a 4-3 defense as a 3-technique, which limits his potential landing spots.

This way of thinking is a bit ancient for our liking since any team would improve with a player like Hurst on the roster. His upfield explosion is exceptional, causing instant disruption on a number of plays. The scout agrees but still believes scheme needs to fit in order for Hurst to succeed. 4-3 and 3-4 teams can be similar, as it is all based on alignment and gaps. Hurst was listed in the 280 range at Michigan, so we will be on the lookout if he hovers around 300 at the NFL Combine.

Feb 8 - 9:01 AM
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1348 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Feb 8, 2018 6:18 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1349 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:21 pm

That’s why I’d rather have him or Kirk instead of Barkley. Yup, I’d reach for either one of them if it were to me, via our top ten pick. The ideal scenario for me is to end up with both of Buffalo’s first rounders and come out with a combination of two of these 3 players: Kirk, Goedert, Jefferson. The best defensive player with our 2nd round pick; and Rashaad Penny in the 3rd round.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 956

Post#1350 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:41 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

Former NFL personnel executive Greg Gabriel doubts the Browns use the No. 1 overall pick on a QB.

"He’ll take the best football player on Browns board then come back and take a QB at 4 ( if he doesn’t sign one in FA). That’s smart drafting," Gabriel tweeted. It is absolutely a possibility, but we find it very unlikely. From his first day in office, Dorsey said the top priority is to acquire a quarterback. If that does not happen in free agency, it will be with the first pick. Why risk another team liking the same quarterback you do and jumping your team's spot in the line to draft that passer? Teams do not go into the draft loving every top quarterback. They find the one they love and go get him. Expect the Browns to do the same. If a quarterback is worthy of the fourth pick, he is worthy of the first pick.
Source: Greg Gabriel on Twitter

Feb 6 - 9:53 AM

No, it's INCREDIBLY stupid drafting. QB is far and away the most important position in sports, period. And the success rate at the position is not nearly high enough to believe the top guys are all the same. You take the best QB first overall and hope that the other guy you like is there at four. It would be the height of idiocy to do anything else.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1351 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 8, 2018 7:47 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Maurice Hurst - DL - Wolverines

One AFC scout believes Michigan DL Maurice Hurst can only succeed in a 4-3 defense as a 3-technique, which limits his potential landing spots.

This way of thinking is a bit ancient for our liking since any team would improve with a player like Hurst on the roster. His upfield explosion is exceptional, causing instant disruption on a number of plays. The scout agrees but still believes scheme needs to fit in order for Hurst to succeed. 4-3 and 3-4 teams can be similar, as it is all based on alignment and gaps. Hurst was listed in the 280 range at Michigan, so we will be on the lookout if he hovers around 300 at the NFL Combine.

Feb 8 - 9:01 AM

That's what they said about Aaron Donald, and I can think of about 32 NFL teams that would love to have him regardless of scheme.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#1352 » by NinerSickness » Fri Feb 9, 2018 6:25 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:That's what they said about Aaron Donald, and I can think of about 32 NFL teams that would love to have him regardless of scheme.

Like who?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#1353 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:19 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:That's what they said about Aaron Donald, and I can think of about 32 NFL teams that would love to have him regardless of scheme.

Like who?

I can't tell if you're serious or not. Which teams would have wanted Aaron Donald on his rookie contract? Literally all of them. He's a guy you can find a fit for regardless of the scheme - though he's certainly at his best as a three-technique.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1354 » by NinerSickness » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:04 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Like who?

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

No, I was just goofin' around.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#1355 » by ChrisPozz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:44 am

As stated previously, I like this guy. Something to keep in mind with him. He's got a fantastic story if you want to take a look at his background.

Ejiofor Completes Successful Labrum Surgery

http://draftanalyst.com/ejiofor-completes-successful-labrum-surgery
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1356 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Duke Ejiofor - DL - Demon Deacons

Wake Forest edge rusher Duke Ejiofor underwent successful surgery to repair a torn labrum.

Ejiofor missed the Senior Bowl because of the injury, which according to Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline might have occurred against Clemson on the first Saturday of October. Pauline reports that it's unlikely he'll be able to perform for scouts, but that he should be ready for training camps. He finished last year with 6.5 sacks and is currently viewed as a Day 3 prospect by current draft pundits.
Source: Draft Analyst

Feb 10 - 5:12 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1357 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:54 pm

Kalen Ballage - RB - Sun Devils

An NFC team director of college scouting tells NFL.com Media Analyst Lance Zierlein Arizona State running back Kalen Ballage will be the hot name out of the NFL Scouting Combine.

"Mark this down. Nobody will be talking about him until he gets to the Combine, where he will lift well, run well and jump out of the stadium. Then, he'll be the hot name," the executive says. While Ballage doesn't have the same hype as some of the other running backs in the class, he actually has picked up steam after his strong showing at the senior bowl. Zierlein goes as far as to expect Ballage (6'2/224) to get comparisons to David Johnson.

Feb 9 - 10:19 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1358 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:57 pm

Mason Rudolph - QB - Cowboys

NFL.com Draft Analyst Chad Reuter projects Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph to go to the Vikings in the second round of his three-round mock draft.

This would be an interesting fit. The Vikings have three quarterbacks on the roster that are all eligible for free agency, and none are considered locks to return to Minnesota in 2018. Rudolph could be brought in and sit behind whichever of the three -- or possibly two -- that they bring back, and become the potential quarterback of the future. This is also a pick they acquired from the Eagles in the Sam Bradford trade, so even if Rudolph didn't develop into a starter, it's an extra pick, allowing them to be more adventurous with the selection. It would be an upset if the Vikings didn't take a signal-caller before the end of Day 2.

Feb 9 - 9:07 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#1359 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Dallas Goedert - TE - Jackrabbits

NFL.com Analyst Bucky Brooks ranks South Dakota STate TE Dallas Goedert as the top tight end in the 2018 NFL Draft class.

Goedert ranks at the top ahead of South Carolina's Hayden Hurst, Oklahoma's Mark Andrews, Penn State's Mike Gesicki and Wisconsin's Troy Fumagalli. We've seen the tight end class vary in rankings over the past few weeks, but Brooks goes with the former FCS star to headline the group. "Goedert is a long, rangy playmaker capable of playing "above the rim" in the red zone," he writes. He currently is seen as a late-first, early-second round pick at this point.

Feb 9 - 8:17 PM
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1360 » by NinerSickness » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Mason Rudolph - QB - Cowboys

NFL.com Draft Analyst Chad Reuter projects Oklahoma State QB Mason Rudolph to go to the Vikings in the second round of his three-round mock draft.

This would be an interesting fit. The Vikings have three quarterbacks on the roster that are all eligible for free agency, and none are considered locks to return to Minnesota in 2018. Rudolph could be brought in and sit behind whichever of the three -- or possibly two -- that they bring back, and become the potential quarterback of the future. This is also a pick they acquired from the Eagles in the Sam Bradford trade, so even if Rudolph didn't develop into a starter, it's an extra pick, allowing them to be more adventurous with the selection. It would be an upset if the Vikings didn't take a signal-caller before the end of Day 2.

Feb 9 - 9:07 PM

With the premium on QBs, I don't see how he could last pat the top of the 2nd.

Return to San Francisco 49ers