Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#2181 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:05 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:

Pozz, is this the very first time someone has clearly outlined the exact “off the field” concern is/was regarding this kid?

In any event, this is Randy Gregory 2.0.

Justin Blackmon’s problem was not the same. Coming out of college he had very little red flags concerning marijuana usage. Guys like Randy Gregory, Tim Williams, and Josh Gordon were known to abuse the drug even while they were in school. If that’s the issue regarding Key I’d say no way do we draft him unless he’s there in the 5th or 6th round.

5th or 6th round for me, I wouldn't mind using a 6th on him:

Arden Key - DL - Player

NFL Network's Mike Mayock expects LSU DE Arden Key to be drafted in the fourth round.

Key is one of the draft's biggest wildcards. Coming off a down 2017 (four sacks), he's continued to lower his stock with bad Combine interviews and slow forty times at his Pro Day (4.89). Off-field concerns have Key trending as a Day 3 pick, but teams may be willing to trade character risks for his upside. NFL.com's Tom Pelissero doesn't expect Key to fall out of the second round.
Source: Josh Katzenstein on Twitter

Apr 21 - 4:45 PM
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#2182 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:32 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pozz, is this the very first time someone has clearly outlined the exact “off the field” concern is/was regarding this kid?

Justin Blackmon’s problem was not the same. Coming out of college he had very little red flags concerning marijuana usage. Guys like Randy Gregory, Tim Williams, and Josh Gordon were known to abuse the drug even while they were in school. If that’s the issue regarding Key I’d say no way do we draft him unless he’s there in the 5th or 6th round.

It was the first time I saw someone say that Key HIMSELF told teams he went to rehab for a marijuana problem. I've seen others hint, suggest, and guess that it was part of what was going on for him in the past but I never saw it until then that he had acknowledged to teams that that's what he was going through.

I was a firm no before all this. It helps to have some clarification of what was going on because now you might have a slightly better idea what he might potentially need to succeed but I'd still be a firm no on him. Anywhere in the draft. I just don't trust him specifically. Or, maybe a better way to put it, I'm not comfortable saying I'd want to take it on given what I think his ceiling might be and ALL the stuff you might need for him to hit his ceiling. Part of that is where I have his floor at, too.

At the same time I hope he continues to get the help he wants/needs and that something works out for him - football or not football. It just wouldn't be with me on a football level if I were the one making the final call.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2183 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:37 am

Read on Twitter

Couple days ago a fringe draft guy - I forget who it was - tweeted out that he was being pulled off some draft boards because of that very issue. A bunch of other draft guys - many of them fringe draft guys IMO - got on the original guy saying through their sources that that wasn't exactly the truth and that he had received good news with the doctors and wasn't being flagged league wide. I posted the original tweet and then deleted it once everybody got on him saying it was bad information through their own sources.

Now there's this news, and from a guy that is far more connected than any of the fringe draft guys. As you can read this doesn't suggest that he has been taken OFF teams draft boards but it probably does shed light that there is still concern with him.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2184 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

It was the first time I saw someone say that Key HIMSELF told teams he went to rehab for a marijuana problem. I've seen others hint, suggest, and guess that it was part of what was going on for him in the past but I never saw it until then that he had acknowledged to teams that that's what he was going through.

I was a firm no before all this. It helps to have some clarification of what was going on because now you might have a slightly better idea what he might potentially need to succeed but I'd still be a firm no on him. Anywhere in the draft. I just don't trust him specifically. Or, maybe a better way to put it, I'm not comfortable saying I'd want to take it on given what I think his ceiling might be and ALL the stuff you might need for him to hit his ceiling. Part of that is where I have his floor at, too.

At the same time I hope he continues to get the help he wants/needs and that something works out for him - football or not football. It just wouldn't be with me on a football level if I were the one making the final call.

Well said!
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2185 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 am

Frank Ragnow - C - Player

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora "continues to hear" Arkansas OL Frank Ragnow is the top center in the draft.

Ragnow (6'5/309) is a late riser after sitting out the Combine. It's hard to see him drafted ahead of Ohio State's Billy Price, but Ragnow, Price, and Iowa's James Daniels could all be first-round picks. The Bengals, Patriots, and Vikings have been linked to Ragnow.
Source: CBS Sports

Apr 21 - 4:01 PM
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2186 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:54 am

SHSU DT P.J. Hall had dinner with the 49ers’ D-line coach after his pro day

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/115392-shsu-hall-dinner-49ers-d-line-coach-pro-day/

In addition to all that, he was a 4-year starter, made the All-Southland team all 4 years, and won the league player of the year in 2016. 86.5 TFL is a whopping number for any league. He actually had 14 career blocked kicks (6 FGs, 6 PATs and 2 punts), too. Huge weight room numbers (700-lb. squat, etc.). 36 reps, 38 inch vertical, and 4.70-4.80 at his pro day.

Made a lot of people's combine snub list. I would've liked to see him there. For me he'd have been JUST inside the cut line. He was a hard evaluation. He tried to change himself physically a little bit to get ready for the NFL this year and he wasn't quite the same guy as he was. Some of that may have had to do with all the attention they had to give him on the field, too. Some teams might want to see him drop some of the weight he put on as a senior as he kind of wore down at the heavier mark.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2187 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:57 am

Read on Twitter
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2188 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:22 am

49ers express interest in Northern Iowa WR Daurice Fountain

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/115391-49ers-express-interest-northern-iowa-daurice-fountain/

Played football, basketball, and track and field in high school. He was a school and state record holder in various high school track and field events. Ran track at Northern Iowa as well. 40+ inch verticals while in school and then jumped 42 1/2 and 11 foot, 2 inch broad jump at his pro day. 4.46 range in the 40. Wasn't invited to the combine and was one of the biggest snubs.

Impressed scouts all week at the East-West Shrine Game including in the game itself (3 catches for 61 yards and 2 PRs for 40 yards) where he was named Offensive MVP. He also had 2 catchable balls go through his hands on contested balls. Fastest player all week there according to some scouts.
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#2189 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:07 am

Read on Twitter
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2190 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:41 pm

Baker Mayfield - QB - Player

According to ESPN's Rich Cimini, "some insiders believe" the Jets have narrowed their choices to Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield and UCLA QB Josh Rosen with the third overall pick.

The Jets traded up to No. 3 with the sole intent of drafting a franchise quarterback and it looks like their choice will come down to Mayfield or Rosen. Of course, that's assuming USC QB Sam Darnold, who the Browns are considering with the first pick, doesn't slip to No. 3. There's been a lot of Mayfield buzz in New York lately, though Rosen remains a consideration. Even if he's available, it looks like the Jets will pass on Wyoming QB Josh Allen.
Source: ESPN.com

Apr 22 - 8:49 AM
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#2191 » by NinerSickness » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:23 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Baker Mayfield - QB - Player

According to ESPN's Rich Cimini, "some insiders believe" the Jets have narrowed their choices to Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield and UCLA QB Josh Rosen with the third overall pick.

The Jets traded up to No. 3 with the sole intent of drafting a franchise quarterback and it looks like their choice will come down to Mayfield or Rosen. Of course, that's assuming USC QB Sam Darnold, who the Browns are considering with the first pick, doesn't slip to No. 3. There's been a lot of Mayfield buzz in New York lately, though Rosen remains a consideration. Even if he's available, it looks like the Jets will pass on Wyoming QB Josh Allen.
Source: ESPN.com

Apr 22 - 8:49 AM

The Jets are apparently smarter than the Browns, but that's not exactly news.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#2192 » by NinerSickness » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:36 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Frank Ragnow - C - Player

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora "continues to hear" Arkansas OL Frank Ragnow is the top center in the draft.

Ragnow (6'5/309) is a late riser after sitting out the Combine. It's hard to see him drafted ahead of Ohio State's Billy Price, but Ragnow, Price, and Iowa's James Daniels could all be first-round picks. The Bengals, Patriots, and Vikings have been linked to Ragnow.
Source: CBS Sports

Apr 21 - 4:01 PM

S**t. :banghead:
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2193 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

An NFL Scout said Wyoming QB Josh Allen "some accuracy issues that I cannot see getting better."

The scout also mentioned, "He’s got a big arm but there have been a lot of quarterbacks like that that have failed." He's referencing highly-drafted quarterbacks like Jake Locker, Jamarcus Russell, and Paxton Lynch who all looked the part of an NFL quarterback but struggled when it came to actually playing in the NFL. Allen is most well-known for his ideal physical traits including an unbelievably strong arm. The biggest concerns lie in his lack of production and accuracy throughout his collegiate career at a small school playing against poor competition. He had a 56 percent completion percentage at Wyoming, a mark well below the typical threshold of first-round quarterback prospects. One of the most divisive prospects in recent history, Allen could be drafted as high as No. 1 overall to the Cleveland Browns.
Source: Bob McGinn Football

Apr 22 - 3:17 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2194 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Hayden Hurst - TE - Gamecocks

Bob McGinn Football's Mark Eckel has South Carolina TE Hayden Hurst ranked as the No. 1 tight end.

Hurst will begin his age 25 season as a rookie, something that is usually a concern for most prospects but one scout said "You’ll get seven years out of him. You get seven years out of somebody, that’s a pretty good player. Reminds me of Greg Olsen." Another scout views Hurst as a player that is a little rough around the edges and said, "He’s got to be your No. 3 or No. 4 option on offense... His blocking game is still coming around... He’s still just learning the game." Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom gave Hurst a second-round grade and has him as the 48th overall prospect on his top-400 big board. He will likely be drafted in the late first or early second round.

Apr 22 - 2:56 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2195 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Calvin Ridley - WR - Crimson Tide

An anonymous NFL personnel executive said, "This is the worst wide-receiver draft I’ve seen in my life."

That executive then begged the question "Name me a first-rounder other than Ridley?" In addition to this executives pessimism on the wide receivers in this year's draft, in a poll of 14 scouts, Ridley was far-and-away the No. 1 wide receiver ahead of Maryland's DJ Moore and SMU's Courtland Sutton. Despite the hype on Ridley as this year's No. 1 WR, teams are very concerned about his athleticism. Ridley produced an abysmal athletic composite score in the 7th percentile and is " a No. 2 receiver, and on a top team he’s a No. 3," according to one scout. Rotoworld's Josh Norris has Ridley as his second-ranked wide receiver and 27th overall on his top-150 draft board. He will likely be drafted in the middle of the first round.

Apr 22 - 2:28 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2196 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:49 pm

Josh Rosen - QB - Bruins

An anonymous NFL scout said UCLA QB Josh Rosen is "the best pure passer I’ve seen since Drew Brees."

Bob McGinn Football's Mark Eckel has Rosen as his second-ranked quarterback behind USC Sam Darnold. This seems to echo the thoughts of some around the NFL as a poll of 14 NFL player personnel executives had Rosen finish as a close second behind Darnold. One NFL scout is extremely bullish on Rosen's on-field ability saying he "is as classic a passer as you could have, his mechanics are impeccable. He’s got arm strength. He reads the field." Most scouts are high on his on-field ability, but there seem to be some troubling issues with his personality and leadership ability. A second scout mentioned "He looks the part when he throws the ball but lacks the rest of the assets you need to be a winning quarterback up here. Off the field, he doesn’t have the profile you want for someone leading your team." Despite the "concerns," Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom and Josh Norris have Rosen as their No. 1 overall player in the 2018 draft.

Apr 22 - 1:57 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2197 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:52 pm

I agree with the comment regarding the 2019 class:

Da'Ron Payne - DL - Crimson Tide

Bob McGinn Football's Mark Eckel has Alabama DT Da'Ron Payne ranked as the second-best defensive lineman.

Eckel only has Payne (6'2/311) behind Washington DT Vita Vea. Eckel picked the brains of numerous scouts and one of the scout's enamored with Payne said, "They’re going to feel him every play. He does have some quickness. He’ll always be a push-the-pocket guy but he has upside as a penetrator. He’s a first-round pick in any draft." Some scouts aren't as sold, mentioning "As a rusher he needs a lot of technical work " and Alabama "didn't develop" Payne's "pass rushing upside. Beyond Payne and Vea, scouts aren't generally excited about the 2018 class and are much more interested in 2019. One personnel executive even said the top four players in next year's class are all defensive lineman. Payne will likely be selected sometime within the first round of the 2018 draft even with a loaded 2019 draft class on the horizon.

Apr 22 - 1:35 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2198 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:54 pm

Vita Vea - DL - Huskies

An anonymous NFL Scout said they "aren't that high" on Washington DT Vita Vea.

The scout explained his dislike of Vea (6'4/347) by adding "He’s what he is. No pass rush. People are probably a little stung by Danny Shelton who came out of there (Washington in 2015)." Vea and Shelton are extremely similar in the eyes of this scout and is largely concerned about Vea's size and ability to play in sub packages. Vea is a very controversial prospect as 3-of-5 scouts who commented on Vea thought he could be a perennial Pro-Bowler with his size and athleticism, while the other two were concerned about his versatility. He is likely to be selected within the top 15 picks.

Apr 22 - 1:10 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#2199 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Quenton Nelson - G - Fighting Irish

Bob McGinn Football's Mark Eckel reports "half the scouting world" are concerned about Notre Dame G Quenton Nelson's athleticism.

Multiple scouts brought up his performance against Miami where "That (R.J.) McIntosh guy got some leverage and pushed him a couple times that concerned me about him being a top-10 pick." On the other hand, An AFC personnel director with "20-plus years of experience" said Nelson was the best guard he has scouted. A different scout brought up a unique tidbit on Nelson saying "The O-line coach at Notre Dame (was Harry Hiestand, now with the Bears) is one of the best in the business. Every year he’s got somebody that comes out high in the draft and doesn’t produce as well in the NFL." Nelson is largely regarded as one of the safest picks in the draft and someone who should have immediate success in the NFL, but the questions about his athleticism are legitimate. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom has Nelson as his fourth overall player on his Top-400 big board and expects him to be a top-10 selection.

Apr 22 - 3:40 PM
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#2200 » by Dodub » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Quenton Nelson - G - Fighting Irish

Bob McGinn Football's Mark Eckel reports "half the scouting world" are concerned about Notre Dame G Quenton Nelson's athleticism.

Multiple scouts brought up his performance against Miami where "That (R.J.) McIntosh guy got some leverage and pushed him a couple times that concerned me about him being a top-10 pick." On the other hand, An AFC personnel director with "20-plus years of experience" said Nelson was the best guard he has scouted. A different scout brought up a unique tidbit on Nelson saying "The O-line coach at Notre Dame (was Harry Hiestand, now with the Bears) is one of the best in the business. Every year he’s got somebody that comes out high in the draft and doesn’t produce as well in the NFL." Nelson is largely regarded as one of the safest picks in the draft and someone who should have immediate success in the NFL, but the questions about his athleticism are legitimate. Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom has Nelson as his fourth overall player on his Top-400 big board and expects him to be a top-10 selection.

Apr 22 - 3:40 PM

That’s why I’ve always been doubtful about the idea of us drafting him. He doesn’t seem like a great fit for our scheme.

Return to San Francisco 49ers