2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Re: 2017-18 CFB SEASON / '18 NFL DRAFT 

Post#601 » by NinerSickness » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:49 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Dexter Lawrence - DL - Tigers

NFL.com Draft Analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes that Clemson junior DT Dexter Lawrence is the best defensive player participating in the College Football Playoff.

Jeremiah says that Lawrence (6'4/330) has the highest upside of any defender playing in the playoff, and that's saying something when you consider how many first-round defenders there will be playing between Clemson, Alabama and Georgia. Even in a loaded defensive tackle class, Lawrence has to be the first interior lineman selected, and some have even mentioned him as a target for the first selection.
Source: NFL.com

Dec 4 - 7:34 PM

I thought he was a true sophomore. :-?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,256

Post#602 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:03 pm

Mcshay lists Rosen, Barkley and Darnold.

I missed Kipers order but they're talking about how Darnold should go back for one year.

If he's a top 3 pick, why the hell would he stay in school. Make USC more money while risking injury?

One of them even said they think Darnold will end up being the best QB out of this class. They pointed out how Sanchez left USC early and has been a bust. Well Leinart stayed and he was an even bigger bust.

USC record with QBs is not great. They get the top recruits but none of them have become hall of famers or even regular all pros. Many drafted high but never lived up to their pick, including Palmer.

So why is an additional year going to help them? USC hasn't shown they can coach up QBs or produce quality NFL QBs for all the recruits they get and the high draft picks they get selected at.

Darnold may have a better shot with an NFL coaching staff than USCs coaches.

I think they put up big numbers because USC gets great WRs and RBs (at least they produce in college). Leinart with his average arm was throwing up soft passes that his WRs would get, even in bowl games. Another year with that kind of situation won't necessarily prepare Darnold better for the NFL where he'll face much more sophisticated defenses with better athletes and be required to make more tight throws under more pressure. PAC 12 defenses are garbage too, with both teams regularly scoring 30-40 points in many conference games.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#603 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:16 pm

wco81 wrote:Mcshay lists Rosen, Barkley and Darnold.

I missed Kipers order but they're talking about how Darnold should go back for one year.

If he's a top 3 pick, why the hell would he stay in school. Make USC more money while risking injury?

One of them even said they think Darnold will end up being the best QB out of this class. They pointed out how Sanchez left USC early and has been a bust. Well Leinart stayed and he was an even bigger bust.

USC record with QBs is not great. They get the top recruits but none of them have become hall of famers or even regular all pros. Many drafted high but never lived up to their pick, including Palmer.

So why is an additional year going to help them? USC hasn't shown they can coach up QBs or produce quality NFL QBs for all the recruits they get and the high draft picks they get selected at.

Darnold may have a better shot with an NFL coaching staff than USCs coaches.

I think they put up big numbers because USC gets great WRs and RBs (at least they produce in college). Leinart with his average arm was throwing up soft passes that his WRs would get, even in bowl games. Another year with that kind of situation won't necessarily prepare Darnold better for the NFL where he'll face much more sophisticated defenses with better athletes and be required to make more tight throws under more pressure. PAC 12 defenses are garbage too, with both teams regularly scoring 30-40 points in many conference games.

I'll get flak for this because it's not one of the main points of the discussion, and maybe/likely not even something you personally even mean, but that somewhat touches an argument that consistently bugs me around draft time. It's when people say they wouldn't take someone because school X has never produced good (insert position here). It's a bit of a lazy or inaccurate argument IMO.

Blame each individual coach and his structure for not being able to crank out (insert position here). In this case it should be said that Clay Helton, Steve Sarkisian, Ed Orgeron, Lane Kiffin, Pete Carroll, and Paul Hackett (longer if you want to go back that far) haven't churned out strong (insert position here).

It's not a school thing. It's a coaches thing. Overall, I get it. To use the school's name is a faster way of trying to get to a point. It's not like there's many college football fans that also have the knowledge of which coaches are good developers that prepare them for the NFL so that's probably why more people don't get into coaches names and just use the school.

Should this bother me? Probably not as much as it does. For some reason it does though because it's the type of thing that spreads.

And it goes both ways, too. People that trust a school over a decade, two decades, three decades because they consistently churn out solid (insert position here). I'd have no problem with it if there was one coach, predominately one staff, and one structure in place over a really long period of time and someone wanted to say, "Yeah, I always trust their linebackers." Well then that's different because it's one head man with one overall set of ways for development. But few colleges are able to hang onto their coaches long enough to get to that point.

So, in this situation if someone doesn't want to trust Darnold, cool. I get it. But to me it's foolish to make it about the school itself. It's about the coaches Darnold has had. Blame those guys. Blame Darnold if one can prove he isn't taking to the coaching he's getting.

-----

I see it with teams in the draft, too. Why did (insert team name here) take that wide receiver that high? Look at their judgement in taking other receivers that high...it's awful. But what's the one constant? The owner? Yeah, let's blame the owner.

------

But again I get the gist of it. I just think it's better to put it a different way to use people's names who actually were there. Compare the two coaching staffs you're using (previous one vs. current one). Point out the similarities that might scare you. Highlight the differences.

I know what I'm asking is unrealistic for most people because they don't have the ability to delve into it that deeply but it's just something I always see towards the end of each season that continues to bug me.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#604 » by ChrisPozz » Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:54 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Read on Twitter

"Unreal" gets thrown around A LOT these days - too much, in fact - but it's one of the words that's fitting for the kid at times. There's a few guys over the years that I have had HOF thoughts about even before they get to the league, and usually regardless of how long ago I watched them in college, there's specific plays from them in college that I can still recall to this day watching that become tattooed in my brain. This is an example of one of those plays.

Read on Twitter

Not my favorite clip given his opponent but...
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#605 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 12:19 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Dexter Lawrence - DL - Tigers

NFL.com Draft Analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes that Clemson junior DT Dexter Lawrence is the best defensive player participating in the College Football Playoff.

Jeremiah says that Lawrence (6'4/330) has the highest upside of any defender playing in the playoff, and that's saying something when you consider how many first-round defenders there will be playing between Clemson, Alabama and Georgia. Even in a loaded defensive tackle class, Lawrence has to be the first interior lineman selected, and some have even mentioned him as a target for the first selection.
Source: NFL.com

Dec 4 - 7:34 PM

I thought he was a true sophomore. :-?

He is. I strongly believe that he made a typo.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#606 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:06 am

Josh Allen - QB - Cowboys

Walter Football's Charlie Campbell relays that team scouts at the National Football Scouting meetings believe that Wyoming redshirt junior QB Josh Allen remains very much in play to be drafted within in the top 10 picks.

"Sources say Allen also has a good football IQ," Campbell writes, adding that "[a]n AFC director of college scouting stated there are too many quarterback-starved teams around the league for Allen to fall far." Should USC's Sam Darnold return to school -- Campbell is hearing that he will and there have been consistent rumblings that this is a possibility -- the analyst passes along that there are some in the evaluating community who believe the Wyoming gunslinger will end up as the second-highest graded quarterback in the spring draft behind only UCLA's Josh Rosen.
Source: Walter Football

Dec 6 - 7:07 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#607 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:09 am

Ryan Izzo - TE - Seminoles

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline passes along that FSU redshirt junior TE Ryan Izzo is "considering" declaring for the NFL Draft.

Izzo (6'5/245) is one of the best blocking tight ends in the country, with NFL.com's Lance Zierlein referring to him as an "excellent lead blocker in space" and noting that he has the "scrappy demeanor" and requisite size to help him make hay at the point of attack. As a receiver this season, the redshirt junior recorded 14 catches for 258 yards and three touchdowns.
Source: Draft Analyst

Dec 6 - 6:55 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#608 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:11 am

Bradley Chubb - DL - Wolfpack

NC State senior edge rusher Bradley Chubb was named winner of the Bronko Nagurski Award.

The Nagurski is handed out annually to the best defensive player in college football. Chubb achieved the honor on the strength of yet another statistically-brilliant campaign in which he registered 72 tackles (23.5 for loss), 10 sacks, nine quarterback hurries and two forced fumbles. Those 23.5 TFL led the FBS. He's currently undecided as to whether or not he will play in NC State's Sun Bowl showdown with Arizona State on Dec. 29. Chubb is a potential top-five pick for the spring draft.
Source: ESPN.com

Dec 6 - 5:20 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#609 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:14 am

Nick Chubb - RB - Bulldogs

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline wrote that he was "surprised" to hear several area scouts grade Georgia senior RB Sony Michel as a better draft prospect that Georgia senior RB Nick Chubb.

"They believe Michel’s game projects better to the next level compared to Chubb’s and that both will end up in the draft’s second round," Pauline writes. Don't count the analyst in this boat -- he not only views Chubb as a better prospect than Michel, he believes that the 5-foot-10, 228-pounder will be drafted on Day 1 come the spring. Chubb has rushed for at least 1,000 yards in three of his four seasons. He probably would have made it 4-for-4 had he not suffered a serious season-ending knee injury in the autumn of 2015.
Source: Draft Analyst

Dec 6 - 5:08 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#610 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:16 am

Josh Rosen - QB - Bruins

Walter Football's Charlie Campbell reports that UCLA junior QB Josh Rosen is expected to forego his final year of eligibility to declare for the NFL Draft.

No real surprise, here. Assuming Rosen does declare (it would be a stunner if he does not), he will be in play to be the first quarterback selected -- and perhaps the first player selected, period -- come the spring draft. There's no disputing his obvious physical talents (he has the arm to make any throw), but character concerns and questions of demeanor are frequent demerits that we've heard regarding the junior. Campbell notes that "[t]here has been talk in the scouting community about Rosen having bad intangibles and being disliked by his teammates at UCLA, especially during his early time with the Bruins." The analyst does soften that a bit in passing along that Rosen has been trying to make strides in the locker room. While these character questions are almost certainly going to linger throughout the evaluating process, it is unlikely that they cause him to take a significant tumble. His upside is just too great.
Source: Walter Football

Dec 6 - 4:55 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#612 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 1:38 am

Mark Andrews - TE - Sooners

Oklahoma redshirt junior TE Mark Andrews won the John Mackey Award.

Andrews, the first Oklahoma player to ever win the award, bested Wisconsin senior Troy Fumagalli and Penn State senior Mike Gesicki for the hardware. Heading into the college football playoffs with potentially two games left to play, the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Andrews boasts a 58-904-8 (15.6 YPC) receiving line. While not the same type of physical freak that 2017 TEs O.J. Howard, David Njoku and Evan Engram were, Andrews is smooth, polished and dangerous as a receiver wherever he lines up. Oklahoma likes to move him around to find mismatches, sometimes putting Andrews in the slot. If he declares for the draft, he's looking at late-Round 1 or early-Day 2 grades. Andrews and Dallas Goedert would likely duke it out for TE1 duties if so.
Source: oudaily.com

Dec 6 - 12:43 PM
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,256

Post#613 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 2:02 am

Yeah I realize that USC has had several different coaches over the years.

However, they get some of the best players, including top QB recruits, because of the school as much as the coach or the recruiters on that staff.

My point is, they've consistently have gotten blue-chip recruits and haven't turned out great NFL QBs, given the chances they've had with the talent they've gotten.

USC can hire pay pretty well to get good coaches too. I don't think Helton was as touted as some of his predecessors. He's a veteran coach that got the job because the previous guy had a big meltdown.

Maybe he still has good coaches on his staff who'd improve Darnold's game for the NFL with an additional season.

But I'd maintain that he has a better chance to prepare his game for the NFL by being on an NFL roster, even if he didn't get a single snap in that year. He would be tutored for the NFL game and learn an NFL playbook, see the level of competition. Because in the Pac 12, USC skill players get open easily and make explosive plays with regularity because of their talent superiority.

The times I've seen DArnold this year, he's making a lot of what Kyle would call "off-schedule" plays so he's not bothering to work on timing plays.

Now you can say it's better for him to play more in college than sit in his rookie season. But there are QBs who developed into top Abs just by sitting as backup for several seasons. Aaron Rodgers was one and IIRC, Rivers sat for a season or two before he took over.

And of course 49ers fans hope Garropolo will be another one. Would he have been better prepared for the NFL game by playing another year at Eastern Illinois or whichever podunk school he went to, vs. being taught by the Pats coaches?
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#614 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:40 pm

Josh Rosen - QB - Bruins

UCLA junior QB Josh Rosen is viewed by NFL evaluators as the likeliest from the 2018 class to start from day one.

A group of seven evaluators gushed to Charles Robinson over Rosen's ability to "spin the ball" and his throwing motion. That group also listed Rosen as the top quarterback prospect in the class. We will continue to hear about possible signs of immaturity with Rosen, but things are swinging in his direction as the top prospect at his position.
Source: Yahoo

Dec 7 - 11:26 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#615 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:36 am

Baker Mayfield - QB - Sooners

Oklahoma senior QB Baker Mayfield was awarded the Maxwell Award on Thursday.

It's the second award that Mayfield has won on Thursday, as he also took home the Davey O'Brien award for best quarterback. The award is given to the top collegiate player in the country, in the eyes of the award's committee. The other finalists were Penn State's Saquon Barkley and Stanford's Bryce Love. It was a stellar season for Mayfield, throwing for 45 touchdowns and 4,340 yards in his senior campaign, leading the Sooners to a playoff spot and playing Georgia for the right to advance to play in the National Championship Game.
Source: Sooner Scoop on Twitter

Dec 7 - 9:03 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#616 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:38 am

Minkah Fitzpatrick - DB - Crimson Tide

Alabama junior DB Minkah Fitzpatrick won the Chuck Bednarik award on Thursday.

Fitzpatrick also took home the Jim Thorpe award earlier on Thursday evening for best defensive back, and now he takes home the award for best overall defensive player. He beats out NC State's Bradley Chubb and Georgia's Roquon Smith. The star defensive back finished his regular season with 44 tackles, five passes defended and one interception for the Crimson Tide. He's projected as a potential top ten pick if he does chose to enter the NFL Draft, and will get a chance to show off against one of the top offensive unites in the Sugar Bowl against Clemson.
Source: Chandler Rome on Twitter

Dec 7 - 8:58 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#617 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:40 am

I actually like him slightly better than Dexter Lawrence.

Ed Oliver - DL - Cougars

Houston sophomore DT Ed Oliver was given the Outland Trophy on Thursday.

Oliver is the first defender to win the award since 2013, which goes to the top interior lineman in the country. He beat out Notre Dame guard Quinton Nelson and Oklahoma tackle Orlando Brown to take home the prestigious award. A former five-star recruit, Oliver finished with 14.5 tackles for loss, including five sacks.
Source: Thomas Duarte on Twitter

Dec 7 - 8:48 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#618 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:44 am

Roquan Smith - LB - Bulldogs

Georgia junior LB Roquan Smith was awarded the Butkus Award on Thursday.

Smith has been one of the best interior linebackers in the country all year, and it's no surprise that he's taking this award home for, you guessed it, best overall linebacker. The junior finished his regular season with 5.5 sacks, 10.5 tackles for loss, and an impressive 113 tackles overall. He gets to take on the impressive Oklahoma offense in the playoffs next, and another strong showing there may solidify him as the top inside linebacker prospect in the country -- assuming he forgoes his senior season.
Source: Mason Prince on Twitter

Dec 7 - 8:25 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#619 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:50 am

Bryce Love - RB - Cardinal

Stanford redshirt junior RB Bryce Love won the Doak Walker Award on Thursday.

Love beat out two Big Ten backs for the award for the top running back in the country: Wisconsin's Jonathan Taylor, and Penn State's Saquon Barkley. Despite being limited by an ankle injury late in the year, Love still put up spectacular numbers; rushing for 1,973 yards and 17 touchdowns on a sensational 8.3 yards-per-carry. He'll look to go over the magical two thousand yard mark in their bowl game against Oklahoma State in the Alamo Bowl.
Source: ESPN Madison on Twitter

Dec 7 - 8:13 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#620 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Dec 8, 2017 3:54 am

James Washington - WR - Cowboys

Oklahoma State senior WR James Washington took home the Fred Biletnikoff Award on Thursday.

Colorado State's Michael Gallup West Virginia's David Sills were the other finalist for the award, which rewards the top receiver in the country regardless of position. The senior wideout was dominant in 2017, hauling in 69 passes for 1,423 yards and scoring 12 touchdowns. He's a legit candidate for the first round in the 2018 NFL Draft.
Source: Oklahoma State Football on Twitter

Dec 7 - 8:04 PM

Return to San Francisco 49ers