ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2018 Offseason & Training Camp

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Re: tOfficial 2018 Offseason Thread (not too early) 

Post#81 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:20 am

NinerSickness wrote:Another lackluster offseason to find a center. Lynch f***ed up royally by passing on Pat Elfein. :curse:

Can Joshua Garnett play center? Seems like a smart guy.

I think they just re-sign Kilgore.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#82 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:20 am

NinerSickness wrote:Eli Apple anybody? Might be the biggest douche in the NFL right now, but he can play ball. VaGiants might have to trade him, now.

No. Has a two cent brain and we saw how long that lasted for Robinson with this staff.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by Ray_Dogg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:23 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Eli Apple anybody? Might be the biggest douche in the NFL right now, but he can play ball. VaGiants might have to trade him, now.

You're not going to like this but I'm more about "Morris Claiborne anybody?" With what Bowles and company have done for him, though, and what Bowles has said about Claiborne as a player, it might be hard to get him to leave NY now IMO.

I might want to take a flier on Marcus Williams (Texans), too.

Travis Carrie is another that's always been a favorite and has played decently. Medium financial commitment could be the slight issue with him.

Kyle Fuller is another that's always interested me but he's going to get stupid money now and would be a huge commitment as well unlike the others.

There might be 1 or 2 other names I'm probably forgetting right now. That's it. That's the list for me.

.........and I'd be a huge no on Apple for the record.

I’ve always been a fan of Fuller. We got stupid money so maybe they take a swing.
I see them being intrigued by Trumaine Johnson. They like the big CBs.
Another guy that has really turned it around is Patrick Robinson but he’s 30. Pass.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#84 » by NinerSickness » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:34 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:Another lackluster offseason to find a center. Lynch f***ed up royally by passing on Pat Elfein. :curse:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by NinerSickness » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:36 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:Another guy that has really turned it around is Patrick Robinson but he’s 30. Pass.

I no longer have a problem with past 30. I think the Niners are like 6 or 7 players away from being contenders right now. That's how optimistic I am about Jimmy G; and I've been the most pessimistic Niner fan around here for the last 18 years.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#86 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Obviously that came into my head as well but the more i read about Apple(and i live in the tri state area so even I was unaware of all of this) the more i came away surprised and turned off.

Can he turn it around, yes, anyone can given the chance but this kid is something else at the moment. but then you read this:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

eeeek.

he has something more beyond the football field too:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/12/family_strife_at_the_root_of_giants_cb_eli_apples.html

too much to digest and sell at this moment, he needs to clean up is image to get legit feelers(who knows, maybe Dallas will bring him in regardless)
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#87 » by ChrisPozz » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:51 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:

You're not going to like this but I'm more about "Morris Claiborne anybody?" With what Bowles and company have done for him, though, and what Bowles has said about Claiborne as a player, it might be hard to get him to leave NY now IMO.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Claiborne.

ChrisPozz wrote:.........and I'd be a huge no on Apple for the record.

I know you're a big character guy, CP. I would've guessed as much. And my instincts tell me you're right. But the Niners need a[b] Carlos-Rogers-caliber CB if they want another SB run IMO.[/b] Hoping a good one gets cut (Aqib Talib???) or becomes available for trade.

And you're right about Fuller; I doubt he'll hit URFA.

This is fair/right. Agreed. (Need Rogers-caliber CB on that type of deal).

Haven't thought about cut candidates yet which is why I didn't really bring up or address anybody yet. We'll see.

I still have a lot of draft CBs to study, too. Not that you're going to get a great deal from any in year one.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#88 » by Jikkle » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:

I think they'll try to upgrade LG and Center if possible this offseason and have Laken and Garnett compete for the RG job.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#89 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:03 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Please no. Kigore was rated by PFF as one of the worst centers in football. I could be mistaken but I've seen his score in the 40s which is bad
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#90 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:04 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:

I think they'll try to upgrade LG and Center if possible this offseason and have Laken and Garnett compete for the RG job.

I am not big on Tomlinson either. Out of the three, Fusco seems servicable
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#91 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:24 am

I heard Apple is going to lose $7 million because of getting released by the Giants.

But it sounds like his mental state is not prepared for playing football right now.

He's apparently played like s--t this year and didn't take criticism well in film sessions.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by NinerSickness » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:07 am

wco81 wrote:I heard Apple is going to lose $7 million because of getting released by the Giants.

But it sounds like his mental state is not prepared for playing football right now.

Cough! Richie Incognito... cough cough!

http://sportshoop.la/threads/incognito.131460/
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#93 » by wco81 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:19 am

I mean he's 22 and has the physical tools to play well. But a CB has to be locked in with his focus.

Can he regain the focus or concentration to play well?

Incognito plays a position where he's not as isolated as a CB -- "on an island." He was older when he had the off-field problems and presumably he didn't have the kind of family drama Apple is going through.

I'm not saying he can't get it back or that it wouldn't be worth it for the 49ers to give him a 1 or 2-year prove-it deal. But there are also many talented players who don't last long, for all kinds of reasons.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by NinerSickness » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:32 am

wco81 wrote:I mean he's 22 and has the physical tools to play well. But a CB has to be locked in with his focus.

Can he regain the focus or concentration to play well?

Incognito plays a position where he's not as isolated as a CB -- "on an island." He was older when he had the off-field problems and presumably he didn't have the kind of family drama Apple is going through.

I'm not saying he can't get it back or that it wouldn't be worth it for the 49ers to give him a 1 or 2-year prove-it deal. But there are also many talented players who don't last long, for all kinds of reasons.

Don't focus on the details as much as the fact that I'm right 97.3% of the time, and I'll let you all know whether the Niners should sign him or not in the near future. :D 8-)
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#96 » by NinerSickness » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:06 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/amp/sports/heres-why-aqib-talib-may-be-about-to-play-his-final-game-for-broncos/503259192#click=https://t.co/iz5PekUS13

He's probably going to end up being the guy I want (sorry CP). A #1 CB + a 10-sack guy on the edge would make the Niners' defense top 3 in the league IMO.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by Ray_Dogg » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:22 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/amp/sports/heres-why-aqib-talib-may-be-about-to-play-his-final-game-for-broncos/503259192#click=https://t.co/iz5PekUS13

He's probably going to end up being the guy I want (sorry CP). A #1 CB + a 10-sack guy on the edge would make the Niners' defense top 3 in the league IMO.

But will goody two-shoes Lynch want to sign him?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by NinerSickness » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:28 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Who knows? Lynch shocked me by trading for Jimmy. I thought he was gonna derp up the Niners' future with Kirk Cousins. He got lucky because the Pats could've traded him to someone else, but it's better to be lucky than good.

My instincts tell me he won't, especially given the Buccs' de-emphasis on CB play when they won a SB. I hope I'm wrong. Lynch can redeem himself by signing a #1 CB and getting a #1 WR somehow by trade or FA (the 2 most difficult challenges coming up IMO).
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#99 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:03 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Who knows? Lynch shocked me by trading for Jimmy. I thought he was gonna derp up the Niners' future with Kirk Cousins. He got lucky because the Pats could've traded him to someone else, but it's better to be lucky than good.

My instincts tell me he won't, especially given the Buccs' de-emphasis on CB play when they won a SB. I hope I'm wrong. Lynch can redeem himself by signing a #1 CB and getting a #1 WR somehow by trade or FA (the 2 most difficult challenges coming up IMO).

Sick weren't you against the Jimmy G addition?
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by NinerSickness » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:45 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Sick weren't you against the Jimmy G addition?

Not at all. I was blindsided by it because I didn't really know much of anything about him (didn't follow him in college very much, and I'd only seen him sparingly in NE). Didn't know what to expect, but I was just relieved they weren't gonna get Kirk Cousins.

Return to San Francisco 49ers