2017 NFL ROOKIES

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: 2017 NFL ROOKIES 

Post#141 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Aug 3, 2017 3:21 am

Isaiah Ford - WR - Dolphins

Dolphins seventh-round WR Isaiah Ford has meniscus damage in his knee.

Ford is getting a second opinion to see if he indeed needs surgery. If he does, there's a good chance Ford spends his entire rookie year on injured reserve.
Source: Miami Herald

Aug 2 - 8:50 AM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#142 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Aug 3, 2017 3:23 am

Chad Williams - WR - Cardinals

Coach Bruce Arians called out third-round WR Chad Williams for being out of shape.

A favorite of the draft community for his high-end production at Grambling State and athletic measurables, Williams was being talked about as a potential sleeper in the spring. But it sounds like he's buried on the depth chart at the moment. "Until he gets in better condition he won't have a role," Arians said Tuesday. Williams isn't expected to be any higher than No. 5 on the depth chart come Week 1.
Source: ESPN.com

Aug 1 - 8:46 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#143 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Aug 3, 2017 3:25 am

O.J. Howard - TE - Buccaneers

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports O.J. Howard is "turning heads" in training camp.

Per Graziano, the Bucs believe Howard is Day 1 ready as a blocker. Unspoken there is the fact that Howard might not make an immediate impact as a receiver, especially with Cameron Brate siphoning snaps and targets. A freak athlete, Howard will make a rookie impact, it just might not be on the fantasy stat sheet.

Aug 1 - 1:39 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#144 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Aug 3, 2017 3:27 am

Deshaun Watson - QB - Texans

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Deshaun Watson is "ahead of any rookie quarterback I've ever been around."

In June, O'Brien said Watson was "not nearly where he needs to be" to start, but his tune has changed in the last week. In addition to this comment, the coach has said Watson is "ahead of schedule" in his development. The Texans likely still want to take it slow with their rookie quarterback, but they are at least laying the groundwork for him to jump Tom Savage before Week 1.
Source: Texans on Twitter

Aug 1 - 1:03 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#145 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:13 pm

Jamaal Williams - RB - Packers

For the second straight day Thursday, ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky reported fourth-round RB Jamaal Williams appears to be "pushing" Ty Montgomery for starting duties.

Per Demovsky, the coaching staff has "praised (Williams') pass-protection ability," an area where Montgomery remains a work in progress. Williams received the first first-team reps of Thursday's practice. Coach Mike McCarthy called Ty Mont a "full threat" on Monday, but Williams is set up to make a preseason push. Williams is shaping up as a solid flier, while Montgomery is a risk/reward RB2.
Source: Rob Demovsky on Twitter

Aug 3 - 9:22 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#146 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:14 pm

Mitchell Trubisky - QB - Bears

The Chicago Tribune believes the Bears have "made it clear" No. 2 overall pick Mitchell Trubisky is the "future, not the present."

Taking stock of Trubisky's camp thus far, beat writer Brad Biggs asked rhetorically: "Would you like (Trubisky) to be a little bigger than the 6-foot-3 at which he's generously listed? No question." Biggs did praise Trubisky's release and athleticism. A 23 year old (this month) who's made 13 starts since high school, Trubisky will begin the year on the pine behind Mike Glennon. Be that as it may, it's practically unheard of in this era for first-round quarterbacks not to make rookie starts.
Source: Chicago Tribune

Aug 3 - 8:43 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#147 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:16 pm

DeShone Kizer - QB - Browns

The Cleveland Plain Dealer believes second-round QB DeShone Kizer "won the first week of training camp," and has "moved closer to being named the starter for the preseason opener."

"In fact, it's not even close," longtime reporter Mary Kay Cabot said of Kizer "winning" the first week of camp. Coach Hue Jackson struggled to contain his excitement following Thursday's practice. There's still a long way to go, but starting the first preseason game over Cody Kessler would be a clear sign Kizer is in the driver's seat. Over-leveraged toxic mortgage Brock Osweiler isn't in the running.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Aug 3 - 7:38 PM
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#148 » by ChrisPozz » Fri Aug 4, 2017 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#149 » by I_am_1z » Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:14 pm

Chris Godwin is about to absolutely crap on some of you posters pre-draft expectations:

http://m.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Chris-Godwin-The-Look-of-a-Vet/aa7c6405-c7db-4c06-b9a3-837e448f5f7e
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#150 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:42 am

Corey Davis - WR - Titans

Titans coach Mike Mularkey said first round WR Corey Davis (hamstring) will be out at least a week.

Davis had an MRI on his injured hamstring after going down in Thursday's practice. It sounds like he avoided structural damage, but he's going to miss valuable training camp time. Davis was immediately inserted as the starting X receiver prior to his injury. The Titans are likely targeting a return before their third preseason game.
Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Aug 4 - 6:41 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#151 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:43 am

KD Cannon - WR - Rams

Rams signed WR KD Cannon.

A priority UDFA, Cannon failed to make it to training camp with both the Jets and 49ers. He lands in a good spot with the wideout-needy Rams. Cannon will compete for one of the final receiver spots.
Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 4 - 5:12 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#152 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:47 am

Marlon Mack - RB - Colts

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said Friday he believes fourth-round RB Marlon Mack can be a "special player."

An undisciplined but big-play talent at USF, Mack's NFL readiness was called into question by draft analysts. "He's popping out there. He's a talented guy. He's showing great athleticism, great vision," said Pagano. "We were doing one-on-one pass protection drills against linebackers, and he's physical. He's got toughness. He's not afraid to stick his face in there and pick up blitzers." Mack should win the Colts' No. 3 back job behind 34-year-old Frank Gore and journeyman Robert Turbin.

Aug 4 - 3:47 PM
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#153 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Aug 5, 2017 4:48 am

We passed up on him to reach for a QB. Smh.

Carl Lawson - DL - Bengals

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said fourth-round LB/DE Carl Lawson will be "unleashed" this year.

"The difficult thing about Carl is that he's a million miles an hour," said Lewis. "It's a hard thing. He's trying to be impressive. Well, he's impressed me enough." According to ESPN Bengals reporter Katherine Terrell, Lawson has been "one of the more impressive players on the field" through the first week of camp. Lewis compared Lawson favorably to David Pollack, a first-round pick of the Bengals in 2005. "We've been searching for this kind of guy again, and we found another one," said Lewis. "All the arrows are pointing up." Lawson should play heavy snaps at both linebacker and defensive end as a rookie.

Aug 4 - 2:44 PM
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#154 » by NinerSickness » Sat Aug 5, 2017 11:55 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Chris Godwin is about to absolutely crap on some of you posters pre-draft expectations:

http://m.buccaneers.com/news/article-smith/Chris-Godwin-The-Look-of-a-Vet/aa7c6405-c7db-4c06-b9a3-837e448f5f7e

:-? Who was trashing Chris Godwin?
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#155 » by I_am_1z » Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:30 am

NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:Chris Godwin is about to absolutely crap on some of you posters pre-draft expectations:

viewtopic.php?p=53382484#p53382484
viewtopic.php?p=54943132#p54943132
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#156 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:14 am

NinerSickness wrote:

Trashing might be the wrong word; strong in some respects, but I'm right here saying I didn't care for him for a bunch of teams which some may remember. If he proves me wrong, I'll be around.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#157 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Aug 6, 2017 11:13 am

Reuben Foster - LB - 49ers

49ers first-round LB Reuben Foster is expected be a Week 1 starter.

Foster has a clear path to snaps with WLB Malcolm Smith out for the season. He's been full-go since the start of training camp despite concerns over his shoulder issues. With NaVorro Bowman likely to be limited to base sets, Foster has a chance to for an every-down role.

Aug 5 - 7:24 PM
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#158 » by I_am_1z » Sun Aug 6, 2017 3:08 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Trashing might be the wrong word; strong in some respects, but I'm right here saying I didn't care for him for a bunch of teams which some may remember. If he proves me wrong, I'll be around.

Still have time to retract your opinion of him. The fact that he's doing so well in shorts as a physical receiver doesn't work in your favor. Why were you low on Godwin in the first place?
ChrisPozz
RealGM

Post#159 » by ChrisPozz » Sun Aug 6, 2017 7:18 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

Still have time to retract your opinion of him. The fact that he's doing so well in shorts as a physical receiver doesn't work in your favor. Why were you low on Godwin in the first place?

I'll retract the emotional stuff I felt towards him when the time is right and warranted. My draft evaluation will stand regardless, though, and it's how I'll answer your question at the end there.

I didn't love what I saw from him over time when I saw him vs. any DB length. Too often his size was negated and he played smaller than he is which played into some of the games where he disappeared a bit (QB issues, among other things, was also an issue to be fair to be him).

He's not as fast as he timed at the combine. Think this is, was, and has to be a universal opinion on him. The low 4.4s rarely, if ever, showed up, especially against press.

Question the suddenness in his lower body movements in and out of his breaks, especially his feet, or with the ball. Doesn't translate well to be able to be used inside much in the slot. I saw a lot of opinions saying he'll be able to pick up an NFL route tree because of his fearlessness and he's got some size to go across the middle. However, it's that lower body and foot trouble that makes me question if he'll be able to get through that or his separation issues are going to be too much for him at an advanced level.

YAC was average. Metrics show he was in the lower middle of the pack in D-1 this year. Around 8% drop rate his last 2 seasons, too. And it's ones that hit him right in the hands that got him. Did not record double digit broken tackles either in his last two years. If you think you can fix the hands, that's fine. I'd have to get with him to feel better about it.

Admittedly, his blocking metrics speak better for him than what I think he might be able to translate into the pros. When he wants to block, he can block OK if he has some steam built up but it's not always there if he thinks the play isn't coming to him or he has to block from a standstill. In my opinion, the metrics are better than he was because a good chunk of the time he was able to come in, often across the middle, with some steam while he blocked and didn't have to do it for very long. This is one of the areas that I'd have to see up close in a workout if I feel like I could change some of my concern on him, though.

What can/will/should help him especially early on is he will fight like heck for the ball when it's in the air and he's very good coming down with contested passes. If it's a question in the air, usually you can bet on him to get to it. I'll give him that and it's something I really respect because it's one of my favorite attributes to look for in a receiver.

The story for him with me is going to be the lower body issues and deficiencies he has and what somebody will be able to get out of him and ask him to do in a specific system. He is more respected in the Penn State community than in a general scouting community from my conversations.

That tends to be because one community tends to argue what they've seen and sometimes thinks many things can/should fall into place with NFL coaching while the other community tends to look at it a little differently, often more cautiously, and sometimes focuses more on projections than on what they might have seen on the field thus far.

Again. I'll be around if need be. It won't be the first time. It won't be the last.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#160 » by I_am_1z » Mon Aug 7, 2017 4:07 am

ChrisPozz wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:

I'll retract the emotional stuff I felt towards him when the time is right and warranted. My draft evaluation will stand regardless, though, and it's how I'll answer your question at the end there.

I didn't love what I saw from him over time when I saw him vs. any DB length. Too often his size was negated and he played smaller than he is which played into some of the games where he disappeared a bit (QB issues, among other things, was also an issue to be fair to be him).

He's not as fast as he timed at the combine. Think this is, was, and has to be a universal opinion on him. The low 4.4s rarely, if ever, showed up, especially against press.

Question the suddenness in his lower body movements in and out of his breaks, especially his feet, or with the ball. Doesn't translate well to be able to be used inside much in the slot. I saw a lot of opinions saying he'll be able to pick up an NFL route tree because of his fearlessness and he's got some size to go across the middle. However, it's that lower body and foot trouble that makes me question if he'll be able to get through that or his separation issues are going to be too much for him at an advanced level.

YAC was average. Metrics show he was in the lower middle of the pack in D-1 this year. Around 8% drop rate his last 2 seasons, too. And it's ones that hit him right in the hands that got him. Did not record double digit broken tackles either in his last two years. If you think you can fix the hands, that's fine. I'd have to get with him to feel better about it.

Admittedly, his blocking metrics speak better for him than what I think he might be able to translate into the pros. When he wants to block, he can block OK if he has some steam built up but it's not always there if he thinks the play isn't coming to him or he has to block from a standstill. In my opinion, the metrics are better than he was because a good chunk of the time he was able to come in, often across the middle, with some steam while he blocked and didn't have to do it for very long. This is one of the areas that I'd have to see up close in a workout if I feel like I could change some of my concern on him, though.

What can/will/should help him especially early on is he will fight like heck for the ball when it's in the air and he's very good coming down with contested passes. If it's a question in the air, usually you can bet on him to get to it. I'll give him that and it's something I really respect because it's one of my favorite attributes to look for in a receiver.

The story for him with me is going to be the lower body issues and deficiencies he has and what somebody will be able to get out of him and ask him to do in a specific system. He is more respected in the Penn State community than in a general scouting community from my conversations.

That tends to be because one community tends to argue what they've seen and sometimes thinks many things can/should fall into place with NFL coaching while the other community tends to look at it a little differently, often more cautiously, and sometimes focuses more on projections than on what they might have seen on the field thus far.

Again. I'll be around if need be. It won't be the first time. It won't be the last.

Great scouting report, but it's missing how Chris Godwin was only 20 in college, how he had a knack for making the special play, and how often he come up clutch in big moments. I compare him to the 49ers version of Anquan Boldin. So we agree about the game speed, but that DB is still at the mercy of Godwin once that ball is in the air. We're talking about a 3rd round pick you didn't want spent on him. Will he ever be a true #1 WR, a la Julio Jones, definitely not, but could pull a Marvin Jones by doing solid #2 WR things, no doubt.

Return to San Francisco 49ers